Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 14:48   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
1. The civic brakes are quite good. Possibly your brakes need servicing.
2. The civic ground clearance is generally on par with most cars, probably you are not slow enough or the rear suspension has a problem.
3. The Honda ASC cleaning is quite good in my experience.
4. You can try Roadworx or similar, but I doubt anybody will offer much once extended warranty has expired.

Since you bought a used car, I would suggest a thorough service by Honda ASC.
1. OK, I will get the brakes checked. But what about the 'feel' that ABS is working? I have read that there is a pulsating feeling that you feel in your foot when you apply brakes. I don't feel anything. Is that how it is with all Civics?

2. Well, I guess, it was pretty much a given that Civic rear suspension is soft.

3. Well, mine needs a good cleanup as there are a lot os smudges on the beige upholstery and seat belts.

I had got the 40K service done as soon as I bought the car. I had posted the details in this thread earlier. It was a pretty comprehensive service and cost me 8.3K.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:03   #542
Senior - BHPian

@civic-sense, ABS does not kick in normally. During panic braking you should feel it. And that is how it is with all the cars.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:07   #543
Senior - BHPian

Engine mount is in warranty. If you have issues it can be replaced under warranty.

ABS pulsation can be felt, when it is active.

Ground clearance is pretty much at par with other cars. After driving 40K+ on my civic I have ceased to believe that is an issue. I was confident enough to take my Civic through Manthavadi - Tholpetty - Kutta - Tittimathi route if that helps you to believe. Get used to Civic, you'll get over this fear.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:11   #544
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Engine mount is in warranty. If you have issues it can be replaced under warranty.

ABS pulsation can be felt, when it is active.

Ground clearance is pretty much at par with other cars. After driving 40K+ on my civic I have ceased to believe that is an issue. I was confident enough to take my Civic through Manthavadi - Tholpetty - Kutta - Tittimathi route if that helps you to believe. Get used to Civic, you'll get over this fear.
i thnk its a rubber part. so i am in 2 minds weather it will be under warranty. honda asking me to change it but i see no issues. so if its under warranty ill change it since i did pay for the extended warranty and i can recover the same from that
Old 16th February 2010, 15:18   #545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Just now realised, with new fuse-box, my reversing light (and the reverse parking sensors, power is taken through the reverse lights) have stopped working.
Check the fuse leading to the same. Its quite possible that it must have shorted somewhere during installation, thereby blowing the fuse.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:37   #546
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it is "suspension stiffening" what they have done in Civic for the last face lift. Ride comfort seem to be quite similar to what it was there in previous editions. It may be some other changes such as change in the suspension fixture points and possibly some changes in the frame shape that helps to reduce bottoming.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:37   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A few questions for you Civic owners:

1) This is my first car with ABS. I have read at many places that one can 'feel' ABS in action when you brake. But I feel no difference from my previous car (an optra base). But, I do feel that the braking efficiency is lower compared to the optra. Yes, now I have to plan the brakes well in advance. How do I check if something is wrong?
Civic brakes are generally a bit low on feel. You will not feel ABS in action unless you're braking hard enough to lock up your tyres. I've never driven an Optra extensively, so I can't really comment for a comparison. But they are good so long as the tyres bite.

Quote:
2) The car has been with me for around 2.5 months now, and the bottom has hit speedbreakers a number of times now. Am scared to let anybody sit in the rear seats. I have also read that the suspension has been stiffened in the 2009 facelifted version. Now, has anybody got their suspensions changed to the new stiffened ones? Not under warranty, of course, I can pay, if it does not cost a fortune.
What you call speedbreakers in Bangalore get called mountains here. You'll need something like an SX4 or an SUV. The good news is that the frame rails at either side of the chassis take all the beating. But it is still heart breaking to hear the crunching noise. You can try taking bumps in a crab style. That is, approach diagonally. This helps a bit.

Quote:
3) Have anyone here availed the services of 3M car detailing at Honda ASC? How good are they with interior cleaning? What do they cost?
The local ASC's exterior treatment is very shabby. The materials used is good, but they are very careless with their orbital polishers. They've destroyed quite a bit of my paint finish during the one time I let them do 3M treatment. The internal treatment however, is extremely good. I did one at the one year anniversary of the car and it renewed the interiors to a condition that is better than new.

Quote:
4) The extended warranty of the car expired in Oct 2009. Can I buy further extended warranty? I remember that it was possible in the USA. Of course, by third party guys, but they were ready to provide extended warranty for my 1999 Accord.

Thanks
Ashwin

ps: Mine is a Sep 2006 Civic, which I bought, used, in Dec 2009.
I'm not sure about this. But you can call them up and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
is the engine mounting included in extended warranty. part cost is around 7k
Hmm, rubber parts are not included, so they can weasel out of it. Good mounts last for 1L KM or more, so you should be fine. The bad ones fail very early (like my case), so you can get it replaced under normal warranty. Why not just ask them? My ASC actually diagnosed the FL suspension noise as the mount and ordered the part under warranty replacement.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 16th February 2010 at 15:40.
Old 16th February 2010, 15:51   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I dont think it is "suspension stiffening" what they have done in Civic for the last face lift. Ride comfort seem to be quite similar to what it was there in previous editions. It may be some other changes such as change in the suspension fixture points and possibly some changes in the frame shape that helps to reduce bottoming.
Vasoo, you are correct. On the Honda website they have shown the suspension fixture changes that have been made in the face-lifted version. When I bought my Civic a few days earlier the Sales Manager at Apex Honda in Mumbai confirmed quote "some changes have be made to the suspension to solve the car bottoming issue" unquote.
Old 16th February 2010, 16:11   #549
BHPian

I just gave my civic at Arya Honda today. Going to get the 40k service done.

Service estimate till now = 16,000 for the service (with engine flush + oil change to synthetic oil.)
Interior cleaning + detailing = 2,000
Brakes worn completely - All 4 (I knew this, was expecting a hole in the pocket) New brake pads + new disks. = Rs 15,000

Total Estimate = Rs 33,000

Old 16th February 2010, 17:18   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@civic-sense, ABS does not kick in normally. During panic braking you should feel it. And that is how it is with all the cars.
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Civic brakes are generally a bit low on feel. You will not feel ABS in action unless you're braking hard enough to lock up your tyres. I've never driven an Optra extensively, so I can't really comment for a comparison. But they are good so long as the tyres bite.
Anyway, I think it is better if I get the brakes checked up. Next service is due mid march. I have planned a trip to TVM by end of march. Should get that fixed before that.
Quote:
You can try taking bumps in a crab style. That is, approach diagonally. This helps a bit.
I try that sometimes. Not possible when the roads are narrow and crowded.
Quote:
The local ASC's exterior treatment is very shabby. The materials used is good, but they are very careless with their orbital polishers. They've destroyed quite a bit of my paint finish during the one time I let them do 3M treatment.
I had read about your experiences with the Honda ASC in Trivandrum in another thread. Will try to stay away from them.
Quote:
The internal treatment however, is extremely good. I did one at the one year anniversary of the car and it renewed the interiors to a condition that is better than new.
This was what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
On the Honda website they have shown the suspension fixture changes that have been made in the face-lifted version.
Is this the URL? Honda Car India :: Civic. There are some things listed there. Does not look like a simple "change". I think, I will have to live with it.

Last edited by civic-sense : 16th February 2010 at 17:23.
Old 16th February 2010, 18:33   #551
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Total Estimate = Rs 33,000
Isn't that too high?

Disc change, is it necessary? They try to do it with every disc pad change. The highest bill reported here for 40K service is 18K odd (though it is of Apr 09).

Do post your bill details here.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:24   #552
Senior - BHPian

You shouldn't need to replace rear discs very often unless you drove with worn brake pads.
Old 16th February 2010, 19:43   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, I think it is better if I get the brakes checked up. Next service is due mid march.
Just remembered, there is a slight tremor in the steering wheel when i brake slightly when the car is at around 90kmph+. Does that indicate worn out discs? I think I read something like that somewhere. Anybody with a similar experience?
Old 16th February 2010, 19:51   #554
BHPian

Interior treatment by 3M

Quote:
Have anyone here availed the services of 3M car detailing at Honda ASC? How good are they with interior cleaning? What do they cost?
I had the interior treatment by 3M done on my car's 2nd Anniversary (April 2009, 40K service). Cost was Rs.1,462/- (with taxes). I plan to do this at-least once every two years.

I had also done under-body rust-prevention by 3M for Rs.2,813/-.
Old 17th February 2010, 02:35   #555
BANNED

how many here have the old civic and have changed the engine mount. seems to be a common problem with the civic and honda says customer should bear the 7k cost when their material is bad itself. anyway to complain to honda about the same ?

Most Viewed