Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 18:36   #676
BHPian

Ovrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Manually folding it on and on may spoil the alignment and the motor bush. Also, I'm wondering how one can drive without LHS mirror for a car of that size, I simply can't.
Same here. I never manually fold/open it fearing for any damage.
Also after getting used to both ORVM, cannot do without them (They are a must to avoid blind-spots).

Honda manual advises to never drive the car when folded.

Replacing the mirror this week, will post the details, cost, etc. after that.
Old 28th March 2010, 21:43   #677
Senior - BHPian

Agreed its difficult to drive without LHS ORVM for a car of this size but still am not comfortable using it within the city where the chances of the mirror being knocked off are dime a dozen. On the highways I have both mirrors open for sure. It will take sometime for me to get used to it in the city.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:16   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Agreed its difficult to drive without LHS ORVM for a car of this size but still am not comfortable using it within the city where the chances of the mirror being knocked off are dime a dozen. On the highways I have both mirrors open for sure. It will take sometime for me to get used to it in the city.
The downside is that you have more chance of getting scratches and dents on the left side body since vehicles can come much closer to your car than when the ORVM is open. Repairing a damaged ORVM may be cheaper than fixing scratches and dents on your body.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:59   #679
BHPian

Normally what I do is always drive keeping both mirror open and whenever required in tight situation there is always a control inside using which we can fold both mirrors this helps me on higway as well in many situation.

IMHO One should always open in case of car like civic because of the size and clear visibility.
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:50   #680
BHPian

New Mirror cost

Fitted a new mirror for the RHS ORVM.
Cost was Rs.565/- (part & labour inc. taxes).
Old 5th April 2010, 14:52   #681
Senior - BHPian

Got the large plastic/rubber cover inside the front left wheel well torn off when my car hit a dog. I think the impact of the hit dislodged the screws from front bumper which hold this cover. There is no visual damage to the bumper though. Not sure if that can be repaired or need to be replaced. I managed to retrieve this from the road where it fell off. Did anybody experience this situation before? Without that cover, there seems to be a slight booming sound while driving at speeds above 80kmph.

I also notice that some "tank" is installed pretty close to the front bumper, which is now seen exposed to the wheel well. This may be something like windscreen cleaning liquid as I dont think any critical liquid containers will be fitter between front bumper and left wheel well, which is prone to be hit easily.
Old 5th April 2010, 14:58   #682
Senior - BHPian

I also got it (fender lining) changedlast week only. It came down at its own and started to touch front left wheel and in the process got damaged.

Costed me Rs.1500 incl. labour and all taxes.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:10   #683
BHPian

Dog hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
...my car hit a dog. ...Did anybody experience this situation before?
Seven years back I hit a dog at good speed on my OHC 1.5.
The AC was knocked off and the coolant leaked out.
The bill was a huge Rs.58,000/- (claimed insurance).

Now I am very careful of dogs!
I see a huge number of stray dogs on highways when I drive early mornings on the highways near Coimbatore. They all give you chase for a few seconds! Particularly in Coonoor I have seen a huge number of strays roaming around in packs. I think they can attack and even kill you if you are alone, a frightening thought (particularly for children).
Old 6th April 2010, 19:34   #684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Thanks for all your prodding guys ! Finally, I have started using both mirrors on my Civic within the city as well.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:01   #685
BHPian

Since 2 days, I'm noticing a cut-cut noise from down under the steering column when I turn right (even on a flat surface). Any clues? This is after my weekend trip to Tirupati and once I had to harsh-brake to avoid a bump, while taking a right turn. It almost screech-stopped from ~90kmph.

Mine is due for 3rd/last free-service in 3 days, so need to know things to get checked/fixed.

Last edited by mkc15 : 6th April 2010 at 20:02.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:41   #686
Senior - BHPian

Does this noise occur when you're standing still? If not, your tyre might have developed a flat spot. It shouldn't, with ABS... but that's worth checking out.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:45   #687
Senior - BHPian

My driver side ORVM glass just got taken out by a biker squeezing through at high speed when I was standstill at a junction. Peninsular gave me an estimate of about 1k over the phone. Going to them in the evening, will update once I get it fixed.

From the sound of the noise, I expected the assembly to be destroyed. But it came back to normal. The glass flew out and shattered on the divider.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:16   #688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
My driver side ORVM glass just got taken out by a biker squeezing through at high speed when I was standstill at a junction.

From the sound of the noise, I expected the assembly to be destroyed. But it came back to normal. The glass flew out and shattered on the divider.
A similar incident happened to my car when my wife was driving in Kerala. Private bus driven rashly charges at the car, and knocked the driver's side ORVM into the car, missing taking the entire car with it by centimeters.
The ORVM folded inwards, dislodging the mirror in the process which shattered and fell to the ground.

The impact was so high that the shattering glass left scratches on the door paint.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:29   #689
BANNED

I have looked through the thread:

For the oil issue:
1. The service interval is now 5000/10000 (6 months/12 months).
2. The recommended oil is API-SL which is mineral only. In fact some minerals (e.e.,Delvac, Petronas Mach 5) are API-SM! Honda uses Idemitsu under their own brand. Almost any half decent oil (not the PSU stuff unfortunately) will meet API-SL. I will use mineral during the first 5000km or so and then switch to a semi- or full synthetic. Some people believe that using too good an oil may lead to a glaze which may hamper the full running in.
3. Modern engines do not require the 1000km oil change.

Service varies a lot with the dealerships and their care. You will be lucky if you happen to get your car in for a service when Honda Inspectors appear. They will take twice as long but will have to do a thorough job.

As for wheel rotation it is very often skipped by the A$$. You must check.
Old 8th April 2010, 17:21   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
IAs for wheel rotation it is very often skipped by the A$$. You must check.
I always believe that it is better to get the wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done at a competent tyre dealer at specified intervals than leaving it in the hands of the A.S.S.

Most Viewed