Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 13:42   #841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I am having a new problem in my Civic-AT, 3+ years old with 67K on the odo.

On a 100 kms drive, after I completed 70 kms, the air-throw nearly stopped, even when I put it in full (manual mode). The fan noise was as usual loud, just the throw was very poor.

After I reached my destination, after switching off the engine I waited for a few minutes and tried the fan alone again. The throw slowly started picking up.

Next day I was on a 80 kms drive, the first 70 kms was good, the problem started again.

I contacted the dealer (Madurai TVS), they say that either:
1)the thermistor may be at fault w/o cutting out the compressor, so ice forms blocking the air flow (This happens in window ac's at home).
2) Some thing may be stuck in the air-ducts or the blower has to be cleaned.

If 1) then I might have to replace the thermistor.
if 2) I might have to open up the dash-board to get at the ducts. So I am worried.

Any advice?
In my opinion it can be a thermostat issue, if its not working it will form ice in the condensor which will reduce the air flow, when the ice melts then the air flow will start picking up and back on to normal.

Next time when this happens, switch of the the a/c button and just keep it on air fan only, u will still get some cold air and sometimes the water also comes out from the vent and noise which feels like water, touch the vent and see how cold they are and also you will feel/smell how when some rains falls on sand u get that smell, I can only suggest this self testing method, if all of the above are there then it is thermostat/ice getting formed.

Cheers
Old 14th July 2010, 14:30   #842
BANNED

Looks like an iced up evaporator to me. could be linked to the thermostat as well.
Old 14th July 2010, 16:32   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am having a new problem in my Civic-AT, 3+ years old with 67K on the odo.

On a 100 kms drive, after I completed 70 kms, the air-throw nearly stopped, even when I put it in full (manual mode). The fan noise was as usual loud, just the throw was very poor.

After I reached my destination, after switching off the engine I waited for a few minutes and tried the fan alone again. The throw slowly started picking up.

Next day I was on a 80 kms drive, the first 70 kms was good, the problem started again.

I contacted the dealer (Madurai TVS), they say that either:
1)the thermistor may be at fault w/o cutting out the compressor, so ice forms blocking the air flow (This happens in window ac's at home).
2) Some thing may be stuck in the air-ducts or the blower has to be cleaned.

If 1) then I might have to replace the thermistor.
if 2) I might have to open up the dash-board to get at the ducts. So I am worried.

Any advice?
For 2, cleaning the blower alone does not need the dash to be opened. It can be done with removing the glove box and some more panels from that area.

But even if the dash has to be removed, nothing to panic, the entire dash can be removed in one go without actually removing any thing from it. If you see the three screws behind the front doors, those are for that So in principle your assembled dash will just be removed like that to gain access behind it.

You can see some pictures from my post 737. I had to do it, and am quite happy with the skills of the person who had done it and the outcome.

Last edited by laluks : 14th July 2010 at 16:38.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:48   #844
BHPian

AC air-throw

Thanks everyone.

I will be doing a few hundred kms over this week and will study this problem further. (And post my experiences here).

When I drive with persons in the rear seats, I put the AC in auto.
When alone or with one passenger in the front, I use manual mode to conserve fuel, keep the blower at its lowest and position the vents to blow on my face.
I find that 25 deg setting is good when the outside temp is 32 to 38 deg.
Now I will try 26 to 28 deg so that the compressor will cut more often so that ice cannot form.
And if the problem re-occurs I will opt for the blower and ducts cleaning along with replacement of thermostat/thermistors during my 70K service.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:00   #845
Senior - BHPian

I have a question and I don't have the manual handy. How often does Honda replace the air filter?
Old 17th July 2010, 19:16   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
I have a question and I don't have the manual handy. How often does Honda replace the air filter?
once every 20K or 12 months
Old 18th July 2010, 12:49   #847
BHPian

AC air-throw

Quote:
And if the problem re-occurs I will opt for the blower and ducts cleaning along with replacement of thermostat/thermistors during my 70K service.
Did more than 500 kms and the blower problem did not come again.
A big relief since I was terrified if the dash was to be opened after seeing @laluks photos!
I want to hold the car as stock and factory-fitted as long as possible so that it is trouble-free for 10+ years.
(I am even frightened to put sun-films since that would mean dismantling the door pads).

Last edited by manim : 18th July 2010 at 12:52.
Old 18th July 2010, 14:34   #848
Senior - BHPian

I can understand your emotions manim.

But I must admit, though I was worried at the thought of dismantling the dash, it turned out to be a good work afterall. I guess it is our perception about certain things. Unless we are forced to shatter our perception, we always live with same. In my case I was forced to, but firmly insisted on good workmanship and access to the car.
Old 19th July 2010, 18:35   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Got stranded at kodambakkam, and my Civic OEM battery (just 26 months) old is weak.. !! My diesel Ikon's OEM battery lasted for more than 4 yrs..

I got a quote for 55B24L 45 amps Amron-Pro, for Rs 5200 (MRP is 5304), and Rs 300 for old battery = 4900/-. I check with two dealers in chennai, both gave only Rs 100 discount..

But above post says Rs 4,950.. Is it MRP or after discount ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
mine is SF.. just lasted 26 months.

Today I replaced it with Amaron Pro 55B24L @ a sub-dealer for Rs 4700 (MRP 5300 - 100 discount - 500 for old SF).

But I noticed, the battery was not kind of laminated, but in box. Dealer said all these models comes like that.. hope it is genuine.. Got guarantee card and bill
Today after 29 Months and 33K total on ODO my OEM SF battery gave up.... I called up RACE people and got it jump started in my office parking... went to HONDA dealer and they checked it and said water level is low and I have to drop battery to them for at least 6-12 hrs for charging and then only they an confirm if it can run or not.... he also said that this battery comes with only a year of warranty and 29months is a good time after the recharging excercise it wont last more than 2-3 months and that too at the max.... I thought of replacing it and got it replaced with AMARON Pro 30+30 battery and after buy back it costed me 4200 Rs. seems a good price in noida.... any experince in noida/delhi for the price?

Also seems this battery is good enought only for 24-36 month only, I have read few cases of battery dying suddenly with in 30 months time......
Old 19th July 2010, 20:47   #850
BHPian

Battery life

Here are the battery life details of my AT:

OEM SF dead at 2.8 years at 57,087 kms.
Went for Amaron 55B24LS at Rs.4,950 minus Rs.400 for old one.
Old 19th July 2010, 21:53   #851
BANNED

@manim: I always had a view that a battery is on borrowed time after 2 years. Maybe now I should modify it to warranty + 1 year. With the AT now I have about a two years to get Jumper Cables!
Old 19th July 2010, 21:54   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the battery life details of my AT:

OEM SF dead at 2.8 years at 57,087 kms.
Went for Amaron 55B24LS at Rs.4,950 minus Rs.400 for old one.
Seems almost everyone has opted for Amaron 55B24LS lets see how this one performs...... though new model of civic is coming with Amaron itself but i am not sure which model and how much warranty...... ?
Old 19th July 2010, 22:08   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@manim: I always had a view that a battery is on borrowed time after 2 years.
I dont quite buy this theory generally. But observation seems true on OEM fitted SF in Civic. It could be that all the ECUs and stuff up there in Civic demands a lot from the battery.

The Exide that came with My Esteem was intact after 5 years and 76k kms, and the exide in 800 over 6 years and 95k kms. On another note the small battery in my kinetic lasted over 6 years too. Common parts here are mostly less electronics.

In any case almost all brands have 3 year warranty, and prorated replacement discounts upto 5 years. So its a no brainer!!

Last edited by laluks : 19th July 2010 at 22:11.
Old 19th July 2010, 22:09   #854
BANNED

@lalit25: I have a Civic BS4 delivered on 1 June. The battery is not an Amaron but the SF. We (I, my son, my daughter) have been using Amarons for the past 8 years in our cars as replacements and have been very happy with them.
Old 19th July 2010, 22:21   #855
BHPian

@sgiitk: I was told about Amaron from Honda person only.... seems either there are 2 companies supplying OEM stuff or he is confused.....

I also wanted to know if Corolla OEM battery is also behaving same way or the OEM in civic is of low quality because 3 of my friends having NHC and ANHC have Amaron as OEM and 2 of them are running on more than 3 and 4 years old batteries, still going strong.
Less than 3 years and below 50K in my case is somehow not acceptable to me for a car which is more than 12L on road..... Others may differ........

Most Viewed