Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 07:24   #946
Senior - BHPian

The rattle from the seat belt anchor is difficult, if not impossible to fix. Peninsular have fixed every single of my rattle issues except that one (a sum total of three others, to give credit to the car, especially considering the roads I commute on). They don't want to mess with the seatbelt mount points and such and with good reason. I've just decided to live with it and tune it out.
Old 12th August 2010, 10:54   #947
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Switching on the AC after the car is parked for a few hours (say in the morning, or when returning from office in the evening), there's an initial foul odour which clears out in a couple of minutes. I normally keep the AC in recirculation mode. Of late I've been switching to external air for a while to try and clear the odour. Not sure yet if it's resolving the problem.
This is normal with all ACs. I will suggest a good car perfume to mask it.
Old 12th August 2010, 13:19   #948
BHPian

AC smell problem

one idea is to switch-off the compressor but put the blower in full speed with external air for a few minutes before reaching the destination. This ensures that the internals gets dry.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 10:01   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Switching on the AC after the car is parked for a few hours (say in the morning, or when returning from office in the evening), there's an initial foul odour which clears out in a couple of minutes. I normally keep the AC in recirculation mode. Of late I've been switching to external air for a while to try and clear the odour. Not sure yet if it's resolving the problem.
If the stench is going away after a couple of minutes then it wouldn't be a dead rodent somewhere in the engine bay.
As sgiitk suggested a good perfume should do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
one idea is to switch-off the compressor but put the blower in full speed with external air for a few minutes before reaching the destination. This ensures that the internals gets dry.
Thats a good suggestion, will do this now going forwards.

Thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 14:57   #950
BHPian

re the a/c smell, every few months, after a long drive and after parking in the garage at home, switch on the blower only put a/c off, turn the temp to hottest possible and let the engine and blower run for about five minutes.
This dries out and kills all possible fungi and bacteria that may have been in your a/c and you have a clean smelling car.
Of course, keep windows open, and step out of the car while doing so!
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 15:11   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
LOL will do so. Thanks all for the blower tips.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:57   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
re the a/c smell, every few months, after a long drive and after parking in the garage at home, switch on the blower only put a/c off, turn the temp to hottest possible and let the engine and blower run for about five minutes.
This dries out and kills all possible fungi and bacteria that may have been in your a/c and you have a clean smelling car.
Wow these are some great tips filcord! Planning a smallish drive will give this a try then.

Cheers
Old 13th August 2010, 22:47   #953
BANNED

@filcord; Excellent tip.
Old 15th August 2010, 13:20   #954
BHPian

68,500 kms on the odo

A routine report:

At 3.2 years and 68,500 kms on the odo, still feels very smooth and new! I remember that the Ambassadors, Fiats and Contessas in 80s and 90s at the same age will look old with rattles with a lot of maintainence and parts failing. Not my Civic-AT! There are just some minor dents and scratches on the exterior to show her age. Interior looks brand new! (though there are coffee spills and once a milk-chocolate had melted on the seats!).

I have mastered the Auto-Transmission and it needs just feather-touches on the accelerator-pedal to do my bidding. I will never go back to a manual again in my life.

FE continues to be unbelievable: My last 505 kms gave me 16.5 kmpl . (98% 4-lane at steady speed of around 85 kmph with two adults and few luggage). Life-time FE is 11.9 with exactly 5,758 litres of petrol.

The low GC has bothered me on bad roads and on our typical Indian speed-breakers. Have done a lot of scrapeing, but the underside is built with an armour, so never damaged anything so far.

Had three punctures so far. All of them nails with slow leaks found in the mornings after long drives, so never bothered me during my travels.

100% self-driven (NO driver and will NOT even let my wife drive it ). After long drives, will wash with Aquatak pressure washer and will cover her up if not used for more than two days. Car is 100% stock with no modification whatsoever. I plan to keep her for 10+ years.

Will be doing the 70K service soon and will report.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:55   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A routine report:

FE continues to be unbelievable: My last 505 kms gave me 16.5 kmpl . (98% 4-lane at steady speed of around 85 kmph with two adults and few luggage). Life-time FE is 11.9 with exactly 5,758 litres of petrol.
I am simply amazed at the mileage figures you are able to extract from your car.
BTW,whats the top speed you have achieved in your civic?
Old 17th August 2010, 19:19   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

100% self-driven (NO driver and will NOT even let my wife drive it ). After long drives, will wash with Aquatak pressure washer and will cover her up if not used for more than two days. Car is 100% stock with no modification whatsoever. I plan to keep her for 10+ years.
This is extremely nice to hear.
No driver and no mods - I fully concer with you.

Congratulations on using the car this way and all the best for future.

Cheers!
Old 17th August 2010, 20:50   #957
BHPian

Max speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am simply amazed at the mileage figures you are able to extract from your car.
BTW,whats the top speed you have achieved in your civic?
Max is 183 on the speedometer, once.

regarding FE:
I was experimenting with 68 to 74 kmph steady speeds last year.
(The minimum speed to coerce 5th gear in the AT )
Since that appeared too slow, I do around 85 kmph now.
I find that FE is the same.
I believe going more than 85 will drop the FE fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
This is extremely nice to hear.
No driver and no mods - I fully concer with you.

Congratulations on using the car this way and all the best for future.

Cheers!
Thanks!
Old 17th August 2010, 22:47   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Max is 183 on the speedometer, once.

regarding FE:
I was experimenting with 68 to 74 kmph steady speeds last year.
(The minimum speed to coerce 5th gear in the AT )
Since that appeared too slow, I do around 85 kmph now.
I find that FE is the same.
I believe going more than 85 will drop the FE fast.

Thanks!
I've heard patience is a virtue, now I know it as well.
Well my catch phrase is "God give me patience, fast!"

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:57   #959
Senior - BHPian

How would you rate the Civic's driver seat?
I went for a drive last friday and it was mostly B2B 1st gear grind and I could not wait to get out of the car after 1 hour.

My lower back was really uncomfortable and was hurting a lot. My car has got some sort of art leather seat covers. Could the pain be due to that? I've never felt this in my Esteem though.

Does it make sense to put a small cushion to give the lower back some support?
Old 22nd August 2010, 12:33   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
How would you rate the Civic's driver seat?
I went for a drive last friday and it was mostly B2B 1st gear grind and I could not wait to get out of the car after 1 hour
I had similar issues during the first couple of weeks. But no problems since. I guess it's a matter of finding out the correct seat + steering settings suitable for you.

Now I really find the seat to be comfortable. So much so, that the brilliant Baleno seat seems a tad uncomfy at times. I think primarily due to the larger seat and higher back/headrest the Civic has.

Most Viewed