Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 09:34   #1081
BANNED

@Immortalz: Are Haynes available in India, if so the source(s), etc.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:32   #1082
Senior - BHPian

I have the Civic service manual with me. Got it downloaded from the following site.

hondatech.info: Honda service manuals

download "Civic 06 4d rar" from there.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:08   #1083
BANNED

Thanks vasoo. Does it more or less cover the Newest Avatar of the Civic?
Old 20th October 2010, 11:18   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Thanks vasoo. Does it more or less cover the Newest Avatar of the Civic?
It is for Civic 2006 onwards. Does not cover the 2009 facelift. I believe from a maintenance perspective things would not have changed much in 2009 except for some small technical additional such as USB port.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:34   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Super resources! Many thanks to mkc15, ImmortalZ and vasoo for sharing the relevant links.

I have a question though. Using the details in these manuals, I tried to compute the vehicle speed at various RPMs and I've observed a discrepancy.

Observed speed at 2k rpm in 5th gear = 80 kmph
Using the data given in these manuals (5th gear ratio = 0.787, final drive reduction = 4.933) and some known stuff (195/65 R15 ~= 12.5 inch tyre radius) the calculated speed comes to around 62 kmph

I cross-checked this with an online calculator as well, which returned the same final figure.

I wonder, what am I missing? I can't believe I'm botching up elementary observation, algebra and geometry (and common sense)! :(

Regards,
spadix
Old 21st October 2010, 09:45   #1086
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
According to Honda Maintenance Schedule, engine oil has to be replaced every 6 months or 10K km whichever is earlier. This is the minimum requirement. You can do more than that!!
I understand that of you use synthetic then you can stretch to 12 months. 10k remains the same.

Also, by the looks of it they are now putting synth into new engines. Hence the oil change is in the third service and not the second. When I examined the dipstick of my Civic (see my thread Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver) the oil was very thin (almost transparent). It must have been 0Wxx or at most 5Wxx, i.e. a synthetic. The SA as well as the WM at heritage Honda were surprised to find the oil change pushed back to the 3rd service, and seemed to agree that this must be due to a switch to synth.
Old 21st October 2010, 10:27   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Way back in 2007 when i got my Civvy, it was still the same.
1st free service - 1month or 1000Km, no oil change
2nd free service - 3 months or 5000Km, no oil change
3rd free service - 6 months or 10K km, Oil change.

Check the very first post in this very thread by me
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1028713

That was mineral oil. And ofcourse Oil change was 3rd service, since it was 6months / 10K.

Quote:
I understand that of you use synthetic then you can stretch to 12 months. 10k remains the same.

The SA as well as the WM at heritage Honda were surprised to find the oil change pushed back to the 3rd service, and seemed to agree that this must be due to a switch to synth.
It was always at the third service!!

I really do not find anything changed and I am confused at what you are trying to conclude. The service Advisors at Dakshin Honda Bangalore only does what is strictly as per the service schedule and manual. Only inference I get now is about Heritage Honda SA's and WM's Competence!!

Probably you can stretch it to 12months with a synthetic for all those who doesn't clock as much km in 6 months. It's a matter of cost and worth.

Last edited by laluks : 21st October 2010 at 10:35.
Old 22nd October 2010, 01:53   #1088
BHPian

Does anyone have a link to the owner's manual ? I could not find one from google.
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:10   #1089
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Does anyone have a link to the owner's manual ? I could not find one from google.
From vasoo

I have the Civic service manual with me. Got it downloaded from the following site.

hondatech.info: Honda service manuals

download "
Civic 06 4d rar" from there.

There you are just a few posts above!

Last edited by sgiitk : 22nd October 2010 at 09:12.
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:15   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
From vasoo

[i]I have the Civic service manual with me. Got it downloaded from the following site.
There you are just a few posts above!
Professor, I think Suresh wanted the owner's manual and not the service manual.

@Suresh: Have you lost the hard copy of the manual you must've received with your car? I keep it in the car at all times so that I have access to it whenever I may need it. Now unless I want to quickly refer to something while I'm posting something on TBHP, I don't see the need for a soft copy of the owner's manual .

Regards,
spadix
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:15   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Try 2006 Honda Civic Auto Manual Online
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:31   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how's the quality of factory speakers on the Civic?

Willl changing out only the F.speakers with a quality aftermarket brand (no amp/sub) give me a good improvement in sound quality.
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:28   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Guys, how's the quality of factory speakers on the Civic?

Willl changing out only the F.speakers with a quality aftermarket brand (no amp/sub) give me a good improvement in sound quality.
I have found the front speaker response to be really good for most types of music I've played on my Civic's OEM setup so far. And these are mostly mp3 files whose quality wasn't in my control. With audio CDs and high-quality compressed audio it should only be better.

These days I listen mostly to stuff that's heavy on the mid-tones (lots of speech/podcasts, classical music and other music which isn't extremely heavy on the bass but is heavily layered/textured nonetheless). My fader and balance settings are neutral. I keep a bias to bass on the equalizer to get the kick but poor mid-tone response ticks me off.

I haven't tried really high volumes. It gets pretty loud even at around 20-22 for most of the files that I have.

The stock front speakers work well for my requirements.

These two links might be of interest to you -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...nda-civic.html

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...nto-disco.html

Possibly also this -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...cks-hacks.html

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd October 2010, 01:18   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Professor, I think Suresh wanted the owner's manual and not the service manual.

@Suresh: Have you lost the hard copy of the manual you must've received with your car? I keep it in the car at all times so that I have access to it whenever I may need it. Now unless I want to quickly refer to something while I'm posting something on TBHP, I don't see the need for a soft copy of the owner's manual .

Regards,
spadix
Spadix, you are right. I am looking for the Owners manual and not service manual. I bought a pre owned civic last month & the previous owner had misplaced the owner's manual. I got the service book that comes with the car though. I was told the car comes with 2 manuals, owners manual and the service book.
Old 23rd October 2010, 01:39   #1095
BHPian

mkc, Thanks for the link. I hope most of the basic things are common to US and India.

mpower, The stock front speaker of Civic is okay for casual listening, will work for most people. At the same time I must also say that the infinity reference and the JBL amp in my Indica is too bright for my taste. If you are just upgrading the front speaker, I think you can expect a better mid and high. I doubt there would be significant improvement in the bass. But always listen to the speaker before you buy. The more expensive Infinity gives out a lot more details than the JBL, but to me they appear harsh and tires me when I listen for a long time. Maybe in the Civic with larger car volume, it will sound better. I have not tried it out yet. Speaker sound is always an individual choice.

If you are upgrading the speaker, I would suggest you to install good quality sound dampeners in the doors. They go a long way in dampening the vibrations during low end.

Last edited by idofsuresh : 23rd October 2010 at 01:42.

Most Viewed