Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:43   #1126
BHPian

Horn suddenly goes off

Since last 2-3 moths I was facing a problem of horn going off automatically and coming back without doing anything.
I had once checked it with pearl Honda sector 63 noida and there for 20-30 min problem didn’t come so they suggested keeping it as it for some time, and then I went out of india for some time.
After coming back the problem got worse and then I took the car to showroom again..... But again horn was working smoothly this time as well in the showroom.... luckily this time after trying 10-15 min it suddenly went off
I was relieved and then I asked them to replace this in extended warranty. My warranty is expiring on Feb. 2011 and km on odometer is 36600. Without any fuss they inspected the steering for a possible carbon deposit and checked, everything was ok including fuse box so the technical guy agreed to replace the horns.
Both low and high tone horns were replaced FOC and problem is resolved.....

I was very happy with the reception I got from pearl Honda and they did all this without any fuss..
Total cost of both horns is roughly 1200 INR....

In the end a happy Honda Customer......

Last edited by lalitk25 : 22nd November 2010 at 10:45.
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:11   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post

I was very happy with the reception I got from pearl Honda and they did all this without any fuss..
Total cost of both horns is roughly 1200 INR....

In the end a happy Honda Customer......
Superb. Alls well that ends well. I might be heading to H.A.S.S to get my horn changed but my car does not have any extended warranty.
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:18   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it is now becoming a common problem on the Civics. Add me to the list. The problem I am facing is that when I honk continuously (horn depressed throughout), the sound seems to fade and the loudness of the horn is lost. This is more pronounced when I apply the brakes at the same time. Any thoughts/suggestions before I proceed to the A.S.S?
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:24   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Looks like it is now becoming a common problem on the Civics. Add me to the list. The problem I am facing is that when I honk continuously (horn depressed throughout), the sound seems to fade and the loudness of the horn is lost. This is more pronounced when I apply the brakes at the same time. Any thoughts/suggestions before I proceed to the A.S.S?
Get it checked with A.S.S., may be loose connection or some horn tunning issue.

Last edited by lalitk25 : 23rd November 2010 at 14:26.
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:32   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
And I thought it was just me! So there's this too in addition to the occasional loose contact thing.

@Hiren: Were you referring to this problem? Horn starting off with one intensity/tone but then going down during the course of its functioning? I thought you said the issue was something else - the horn sounding wrong all the time.

Regards,
spadix
Old 24th November 2010, 09:37   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
@Hiren: Were you referring to this problem? Horn starting off with one intensity/tone but then going down during the course of its functioning? I thought you said the issue was something else - the horn sounding wrong all the time.

Regards,
spadix
No my problem is slightly different. It seems to have a permanent sore throat, if I can call it that. The tone does not change it remains hoarse throughout.
Old 26th November 2010, 14:42   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Got 45k Service done yesterday.

I was pleasantly surprised when I thought, thought and again thought but could not think of any problem which I could tell SA to fix (not even any small rattle).

My car is 4 years and 4 months and 47k kms old .

Total bill 993/-. (Rs.900 for service + Service Tax).
Old 26th November 2010, 19:12   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I was pleasantly surprised when I thought, thought and again thought but could not think of any problem which I could tell SA to fix (not even any small rattle).
That's wonderful, man! Good for you!

Here's the statistics for my Civic -

1st service (1 month/1066.6 kms) - 4 problems reported - 4 reproduced - 4 fixed (1 recurred)
2nd service (3 months/5054.1 kms) - 11 reported - 6 reproduced (4 non-issues, 1 fell through the cracks) - 6 fixed (2 recurred)
3rd service (due end of Jan. @10k kms) - 9 problems and counting so far

Regards,
spadix
Old 26th November 2010, 21:26   #1134
BANNED

Just had the third service. Provided my own Mobil1. They were reluctant but then took it in. Cost of service Rs.296 (+of course 4400 for Mobil1 0W40). As commented upon by a colleague cheaper than almost everybody else.
Old 26th November 2010, 23:21   #1135
BHPian

75k Service next week

Booked the date (next week) for my 75K service.
Car is still silky smooth!
Old 27th November 2010, 23:46   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Got 45k Service done yesterday.

My car is 4 years and 4 months and 47k kms old .

Total bill 993/-. (Rs.900 for service + Service Tax).
Got only one word. Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That's wonderful, man! Good for you!

Here's the statistics for my Civic -

1st service (1 month/1066.6 kms) - 4 problems reported - 4 reproduced - 4 fixed (1 recurred)
2nd service (3 months/5054.1 kms) - 11 reported - 6 reproduced (4 non-issues, 1 fell through the cracks) - 6 fixed (2 recurred)
3rd service (due end of Jan. @10k kms) - 9 problems and counting so far

Regards,
spadix
Seriously; 11 problems, 9 problems
What would they be?

I have only 1 problem and thats enough for me to overlook everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just had the third service. Provided my own Mobil1. They were reluctant but then took it in. Cost of service Rs.296 (+of course 4400 for Mobil1 0W40). As commented upon by a colleague cheaper than almost everybody else.
Pleasantly surprised that Honda agreed to use Mobil1 instead of their own oil, I am dying to try Mobil1 on me car. I've never understood the oil rating mumbo jumbo but would 0W40 work in our climes?

Thanks
Old 28th November 2010, 11:22   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Shoe chaged some months ago. The OEM Good Year NCT5 did a 60K.

Chose Good Year Excellence assymetrical this time. 3k done, runs just the way I want.
Old 28th November 2010, 11:43   #1138
BANNED

@hiren.mistry: See the manual, both 0W40 and 0W30 are Ok. US specs are 0W20! Idemitsu (Honda OE) is 0W30. In your case it is out of warranty so they cannot crib. As the engine is made to a finer tolerance 0W30 also looks fine to me. Theoretically, SAE30 should be marginally more economical that SAE40!

They were reluctant but I told them the oil meets/exceeds their specs which are only for API-SL, and both 0W30 and 0W40 are kosher. So they had to agree. Had me write that I am providing my own oil, andc I wrote in '4L of Mobil1 API-SM, SAE0W40 Synthetic provided by me'.

Seems that the car companies suspect dealers of buying oil outside if they do not see about 80%+ cars using their own oil. The SM did say that they are worried with people bringing in oil of lower specs. With all Honda engines revving to 6500+ I can see the need for good oil.
Old 28th November 2010, 18:13   #1139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Shoe chaged some months ago. The OEM Good Year NCT5 did a 60K.

Chose Good Year Excellence assymetrical this time. 3k done, runs just the way I want.
60K is a lot, good on you!
Can you tell us more about your new tires? Stock size or did you upsize?
NCT5 were notorious for road noise, how do Excellence compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@hiren.mistry: See the manual, both 0W40 and 0W30 are Ok. US specs are 0W20! Idemitsu (Honda OE) is 0W30. In your case it is out of warranty so they cannot crib. As the engine is made to a finer tolerance 0W30 also looks fine to me. Theoretically, SAE30 should be marginally more economical that SAE40!

They were reluctant but I told them the oil meets/exceeds their specs which are only for API-SL, and both 0W30 and 0W40 are kosher. So they had to agree. Had me write that I am providing my own oil, andc I wrote in '4L of Mobil1 API-SM, SAE0W40 Synthetic provided by me'.

Seems that the car companies suspect dealers of buying oil outside if they do not see about 80%+ cars using their own oil. The SM did say that they are worried with people bringing in oil of lower specs. With all Honda engines revving to 6500+ I can see the need for good oil.
Excellent information. Thank you kind sir!
I will change my cars oil early next year, the current Idemitsu Oil has done around 3K. I will change around the 5K mark.

Regards
Old 28th November 2010, 19:14   #1140
BANNED

@hiren.mistry: I always feel that a good API-SL or higher (in fact SF or higher!) is good for 10,000km / 12 months. So you should be able to stretch your oil changes significantly. Once out of warranty this is what I will do and have been doing for the past 21 years or so. Never regretted it. This was in my Peugeot 205GL, 118NE, Esteem (carb), Zens (both carb), Accent, Alto VX and Santro AT.

Most Viewed