Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 15:57   #1186
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Im too planning to get fogs for my civic S.Confused whether to get it from the honda dealer here or source it else where.Is there any difference in the light throw of both?

What is the cost of OEM ones?

Thanx
Take Care & Drive Safe
Rohin
Old 16th December 2010, 20:03   #1187
Senior - BHPian

^^
I am not a fan of fog lamps that come on civic. They are mostly useless and the light throw is only about a few feet around the front corners. Given the low seating position and a long bonnet, hardly anything can be noticed from inside even in pitch dark conditions. I am yet to find a use of it. You may get better ones from outside, but the usefulness will depend upon the assembly and design of fog lamps. From my experience, it will be a better investment to replace the OEM headlight bulbs with better ones instead of going for fogs.
Old 17th December 2010, 11:47   #1188
BHPian

Still if you want to go for fog lams I would say go for aftermarket at least the looks will be improved with very minimal cost I am going for aftermarket with both headlamp change to Phillips x-treme.
Old 17th December 2010, 13:53   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The easiest way to see if the engine mount is the actual problem:

1) Starting rattle. Cold starts will cause the car to shake and you'll hear a definite rattle that sounds like a metal plate banging against another metal plate for the first half a second or so.

2) You'll hear the same rattle if you hit potholes while turning right. This is very distinct and easily reproduce-able. Find a favorite roundabout and hit a pothole while turning right and going at around 20-30KMPH. If your mount is on it's way out, it'll rattle without fail every single time.

Unless you've been using dirty fuel, there is no reason for the injectors to be clogged. Double and triple check with experts before you go messing with the fuel system.

The engine mount will look perfect. There will be no fluid leak or cracked rubber that show the mount is faulty like with the normal mounts. The words my SA used was "it is loose. We've tightened it up, but it'll be out again in a couple of days. This is a known issue, your part has been ordered and it'll arrive in a week." They replaced mount without making any fuss.
My car is at Dakshin Honda for the 50K service. The service adviser called up a while ago and said that the engine bed is weak. Surprising, because, I had no rattling issues at cold start. 7.5K to replace. I asked him to leave it out for the time being, while I think over it. A few Qs:

- How do I find out if the bed indeed needs a change? Any other indications other than the rattles?
- What can happen if the bed is not changed timely? Possibility of the mount giving up and the engine falling down? Sorry, do I sound foolish?
- Is it safe to undertake long trips with the "weak" bed? I am planning a drive to TVM in teh next couple of weeks?
Old 17th December 2010, 15:14   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
^^
I am not a fan of fog lamps that come on civic. They are mostly useless and the light throw is only about a few feet around the front corners. Given the low seating position and a long bonnet, hardly anything can be noticed from inside even in pitch dark conditions. I am yet to find a use of it. You may get better ones from outside, but the usefulness will depend upon the assembly and design of fog lamps. From my experience, it will be a better investment to replace the OEM headlight bulbs with better ones instead of going for fogs.
Completely agree with you on this vasoo. Its more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. I also have a feeling that the fog lamps on the pre-facelift version are better in terms of the light they emit when compared to the facelifted versions we have. Prefacelift owners can chime in with their thoughts.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:30   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
^^

I am quoting vasoo's post here but it is meant for all who are getting fog lamps installed. The fog's job is not to provide a long throw or a piercing beam, that is for the headlamps. Now when you step out and take a look at the fog lamps they will appear to throw a very bright light but when you get in the car all you see is what vasoo has seen. Except from brightening up the solid surfaces in immediate vicinity there is neither much to see nor any advantage to gain on a pitch dark but clear night. On a foggy night however it is a different story altogether when the invisible beam becomes visible and lights up the road for a good 2~3 meters ahead. 2~3 meters or 6~10 ft is correct as one is meant to drive slowly and with extreme caution in fog and not rip it. The trick is in the wavelength of the light beam that is emitted. (The more technically oriented members can provide details) what this variation over the light emitted from our headlamps does is that the fog's beams do not reflect/bounce back off the droplets that make up the fog unlike the headlights that bounce right back and blind the people in the car.

The fog bulbs sold in the after market may light up the road on a clear night but in fog these will be no better than or as useless as your headlamps. It is solely for this reason that I am not too much in favour of the cheap charlie stuff available in the after market, unless your need is purely cosmetic. However if you are actually going to use your fogs up North then it is time to open up those wallets and get genuine stuff.
Old 17th December 2010, 20:04   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The fog's job is not to provide a long throw or a piercing beam, that is for the headlamps. .... On a foggy night however it is a different story altogether when the invisible beam becomes visible and lights up the road for a good 2~3 meters ahead.

Khoj bhaiyya, I could not agree more, having experienced the foggy drives in the North. We had 95/100 types as headlights - were of no much use!! The fogs saved the day.

Experience is the best Teacher and Necessity is the mother of all Inventions! Rest is all debates
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:52   #1193
Senior - BHPian

The bumpers keep getting scratched now and then. The scratches show up quite a bit on the white colour.

I'd like to wait a few more months and then get them painted. Should I do it at an independent garage? Or at the Honda workshop?

How much would be the cost for painting each bumper?
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:56   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Honda Service Stations charge north of 5k for bumper painting in Bangalore. Carnation offered at 3k. They also offer part painting of your bumper. Check with a relaible paintshop, should be cheaper.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:10   #1195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
The bumpers keep getting scratched now and then. The scratches show up quite a bit on the white colour.
Bumpers cost more to paint than a panel (they are flexible and need a somewhat different treatment).

I have a feeling that you may be forced to take a Grin and Bear it attitude. Every cyclist is bent upon using your bumper as a brake and/or rest.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:17   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Honda Service Stations charge north of 5k for bumper painting in Bangalore. Carnation offered at 3k. They also offer part painting of your bumper. Check with a relaible paintshop, should be cheaper.
Checked with the workshop. Approx 7K for painting each bumper !!

Will independent paintshops be able to procure the exact shade/Tafeta White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a feeling that you may be forced to take a Grin and Bear it attitude.
Sigh :(
Old 24th December 2010, 02:10   #1197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Experience is the best Teacher and Necessity is the mother of all Inventions! Rest is all debates
Well said laluks

BTW did you encounter fog during your Ladakh trip, the one to Agra or is it a travelogue that I have not had the pleasure to read as yet.
Old 24th December 2010, 07:23   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well said laluks

BTW did you encounter fog during your Ladakh trip, the one to Agra or is it a travelogue that I have not had the pleasure to read as yet.

That was a trip to my sis's place in Delhi during a winter, some years back.
Old 27th December 2010, 11:10   #1199
BANNED

Watch out for country roads in Haryana. There are umpteen bumps on the State and local roads. Also, the local (illegal) bumps will 'torture' a SUV or a truck, so forget lower slung cars like the Civic or City. I guess Haryana is doing its best to see that people only buy SUV/ATVs.
Old 27th December 2010, 22:00   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... On a foggy night however it is a different story altogether when the invisible beam becomes visible and lights up the road for a good 2~3 meters ahead. 2~3 meters or 6~10 ft is correct as one is meant to drive slowly and with extreme caution in fog and not rip it. The trick is in the wavelength of the light beam that is emitted. (The more technically oriented members can provide details) what this variation over the light emitted from our headlamps does is that the fog's beams do not reflect/bounce back off the droplets that make up the fog unlike the headlights that bounce right back and blind the people in the car.

Well, my experience with driving in thick fog with the OEM fog lamps has been pretty disappointing so far. I could not see anything better, irrespective of if I use headlamps, fogs or both. Not sure of the "wavelength theory" as I believe a diff wave length should producer a different color to the light, which is not the case with OEM fogs. I used to have yellow colored fogs for our old SUVs and that was much more useful in thick fogs around the Western ghats.

Most Viewed