Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 08:54   #1201
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Well, my experience with driving in thick fog with the OEM fog lamps has been pretty disappointing so far. I could not see anything better, irrespective of if I use headlamps, fogs or both.
Just a few days back we were descending the Tirumala ghat at around 5 am and were basically driving through clouds. I wouldn't classify it as really thick fog but I definitely wasn't hindered by the lights (used high beam as well). The fogs were pretty helpful. In fact I find the additional light throw to the sides really helpful in my daily commute as well (you could blame my weak night vision + glare of oncoming headlights I suppose).

Maybe in thicker conditions they just become a visual/style accessory. That is sad :(.

I agree with an earlier comment on this thread that the pre-facelift fogs seem to be more effective, but I have no experience or evidence to back this up.

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th December 2010, 10:31   #1202
BANNED

Almost all Fog Lamps are ineffective in dense fog. You should have proper (large) fog lamps, like in competition vehicles. What you achieve is being visible to oncoming traffic and no glare back. My preferred mode is Fogs + side lights. In real bad conditions I may experiment with Dip beams as well.
Old 30th December 2010, 22:01   #1203
BHPian

I have tries 2 times in noida automarket and there is no one having fog lamps for before facelifted civic also I came to know there is no lamp from phillips for civic assemblly (excat match in x-treme).
Can someone tell me if there is actually a product from phillips or osram which fits in civic stock setup....
the no. is 9005 and 9006 and in my civic the stock lamps are from sylvania....
Old 30th December 2010, 22:32   #1204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Can someone tell me if there is actually a product from phillips or osram which fits in civic stock setup....
the no. is 9005 and 9006 and in my civic the stock lamps are from sylvania....
Philips Premium (+30) are available in 9005 & 9006 A.K.A HB3 and HB4 respectively. I used both types in my 9G Corolla and currently use the 9005 in my Altis' high beam. Visibly better than the stock bulbs and these bulbs are pretty easily available at most car accessory stores.

I do wish the Vision+ were available in 9005/06. I used the H4 versions on my OHC Type II and they were really good.

Regards,
Old 31st December 2010, 13:25   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
I have tries 2 times in noida automarket and there is no one having fog lamps for before facelifted civic
I got them from Automarc in Defense Colony opp. Moolchand this year.
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:45   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My car is at Dakshin Honda for the 50K service. The service adviser called up a while ago and said that the engine bed is weak. Surprising, because, I had no rattling issues at cold start. 7.5K to replace. I asked him to leave it out for the time being, while I think over it. A few Qs:

- How do I find out if the bed indeed needs a change? Any other indications other than the rattles?
- What can happen if the bed is not changed timely? Possibility of the mount giving up and the engine falling down? Sorry, do I sound foolish?
- Is it safe to undertake long trips with the "weak" bed? I am planning a drive to TVM in teh next couple of weeks?
Late update: 50K service cost me 3K with oil change. Mineral oil, no synthetic. The "weak" bed stays. Till the next service.
Old 2nd January 2011, 17:14   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I got my left ORVM mirror broken when it kissed a KSRTC bus on my trip to Kerala this week. There is no damage to the ORVM unit and everything seems to work fine. How much does it cost to replace just the mirror?
Old 2nd January 2011, 21:48   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Guys, I got my left ORVM mirror broken when it kissed a KSRTC bus on my trip to Kerala this week. There is no damage to the ORVM unit and everything seems to work fine. How much does it cost to replace just the mirror?
I remember reading in iTNerd's ownership thread that it costed close to 500 bucks to replace the mirror alone. Here's the link.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:28   #1209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Late update: 50K service cost me 3K with oil change. Mineral oil, no synthetic. The "weak" bed stays. Till the next service.
When the odo hit 40K, the service advisor mentioned the same thing (weak engine mountings). Apparently costs around Rs. 8,000 to replace. After I asked him to go ahead, he called me up later and suggested that I change the mountings the "next time".
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:35   #1210
BHPian

HI,
I have an A/T civic 2006 done 60k,i have get a regular mileage of 7kmpl in the city.Is it normal ?
Also recently my steering has started to make some weird noise when i try to turn it (on a standstill).Can somebody please advice me what should be done?

Last edited by karanj : 3rd January 2011 at 16:38.
Old 4th January 2011, 09:31   #1211
BANNED

7kpl in bumper-to-bumper traffic with near 100% AC sounds about right.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:19   #1212
BHPian

Hi Civic Owners

I have joined the club as well from 24-12-2010. Quick question is about air pressure.

When I took the car the tyres had 41 psi of pressure in them, and i did a 1300 km drive on the highway without even knowing this. The ride was good and then I reduced the pressure to the company mentioned 30 psi. Guess what.. i started scraping every bump, the steering was hard to turn and i scraped even my parking entry slope at my home.

Now I inflated the pressure to 36 psi and the scraping is marginally better. Is there any harm in having 41 psi as I see the tyres have max pressure of 51 psi mentioned on them. Will it damage them ?

Please let me know what are the issues if I go for 41 psi, as it seems to solve my Ground clearance issues. Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 12:44   #1213
Senior - BHPian

41 psi is too much of a tyre pressure for the Civic. It may help you avoid scraping a few bumps but the tyres and suspension will take a beating for sure. I would suggest you stick to a maximum of 32 psi and be extra careful while going over the bumps.
Old 4th January 2011, 14:20   #1214
BANNED

@rr-zen: I have also seen 40-42psi when the car comes back from service!!!
Old 4th January 2011, 15:03   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rr-zen: I have also seen 40-42psi when the car comes back from service!!!
I second that one professor. I have had the same experience with my car as well. In fact all four tyres were unevenly inflated this time(the front ones underinflated and the rear ones overinflated). Its certainly got to do with the ignorance of the folks who do the job, that are generally unskilled.

Last edited by rr_zen : 4th January 2011 at 15:04.

Most Viewed