Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 14:56   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Car care:
* Turtle Leather Cleaner/Polish every month
I was looking for a leather cleaner myself, and I read about those use-and-throw wipes somewhere else. I think the Turtle product might just be more VFM, right?

Also, wouldn't polish every month really thin down the layer of paint on the car? I thought polish is an abrasive process that works by removing the top layer(s) of paint and so reduces the depth of scratches and scuffs.

I hope the rear seat squeak goes away. It does get irritating listening to squeaks and rattles on what is still a new car. This will be the main area of focus in my Civic's 3rd service (due end of this month).

Regards,
spadix
Old 20th January 2011, 15:43   #1277
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I was looking for a leather cleaner myself, and I read about those use-and-throw wipes somewhere else. I think the Turtle product might just be more VFM, right?

Also, wouldn't polish every month really thin down the layer of paint on the car? I thought polish is an abrasive process that works by removing the top layer(s) of paint and so reduces the depth of scratches and scuffs.
Spadix, this cleaner/polish is for leather seats only and not for the exterior. Infact I have never polished my car till now. I dont think its necessary if waxing is done regularly (especially with hard wax like Collinite 845). I have *not* tried other leather cleaners, so I cant compare.
Old 20th January 2011, 21:01   #1278
BHPian

Just for update

Upgraded the stock bulbs in my civic to Philips stock rating but higher throw capacity ones.
Did upgrade on both High and Low beam. Light throw has significantly improved especially the pathetic low beam. No wire cutting or additional relays required its a stock replacement.

Total cost of 4 bulbs-Rs1900/-
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2011, 22:17   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of headlights, I got a HID kit fitted to our Civic (non projector). Sharing some pics. No issues so far and shows a good improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic-hids.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic-hids2.jpg  

Old 20th January 2011, 23:03   #1280
Team-BHP Support

What's the rating on these bulbs? 4300K? Which bulbs/ballast are these philips? Only for low beam right? How did you get the fitting done relays? wiring harness? holders changed?

ps: sorry for too many questions. :-)
Old 21st January 2011, 00:17   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Its a 4300K shade and a 9006 type bulb on low beam only. I went for 4300K because its the whitest and has the max lumens per watt compared to the rest. Blues are just blingy and possible issues with cops. Not sure why it looks blue-er in the second pic. Cam problem?

Luckily for me, Civic has a separate high beam so I dont have to mess with it. Holder was not changed, HID bulb fits the same holder. Not sure how the ballast was wired.
The guy was pretty knowledgable so I didn't interfere and let him take care of it.

I picked one with a digital ballast which is compact enough that all we had to do was remove the wheel well panel and fit it there. Many people remove the front bumper but i was't keen
on that because it never seems to fit back flush.

Got it from xenondepot.com. These guys buy parts from here and there and put together the kit. Dont think bulb is a Phillips. I checked with Phillips B'lore and they said no stock for another 3 mo.

Lastly, I picked the one without relay and so far I haven't had any flickering issues. But for complete peace of mind, I would recommend the relay wala.

Last edited by Mpower : 21st January 2011 at 00:26.
Old 21st January 2011, 00:23   #1282
Team-BHP Support

Flickering issues meaning when you go over bad roads the beam shakes? Hows the throw and illumination compared to earlier?

The Altis has OE 4300K xenons which work really well. Only problem is they are self leveled via sensors on windshield and so always lower than what I prefer.
Old 21st January 2011, 02:21   #1283
BHPian

@vid6639

No manual override switch provided?
I thought manual leveler switch is mandatory as per the MVA?
Old 21st January 2011, 02:46   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Flickering issues meaning when you go over bad roads the beam shakes? Hows the throw and illumination compared to earlier?
No, I believe HIDs flicker when the electrical load is high. Relay is supposed to take care of that.

Quote:
The Altis has OE 4300K xenons which work really well. Only problem is they are self leveled via sensors on windshield and so always lower than what I prefer.
Hmm...so if you have 3 fat guys in the back seat and trunk full of luggage, how does it detect the squat and adjust the beam.
Old 21st January 2011, 08:17   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Hello my fellow TBHPians,

As I must had mentioned in some of my previous posts that I was keen to buy a pre-owned Civic. I returned from Canada on 14th January and spent all my time finding the perfect car for me. Good news, I took delivery of a Sept. 2007 Carbon Bronze P Civic V/MT on 18th January! I will start in a proper new thread about it, but 1st a few questions -

1. Car is mechnically perfect but has lots of minor dents/dings. Any suggestions for a good paint/body shop in NCR?

2. The previous owner has lost the manual of the car. Any suggestions where can I buy it now? Honda dealer or anywhere outside?

3. Does the car comes with only one remote key. The other key I got doesn't have remote lock function!

4. Suggestions for leather cleaning products/exterior cleaning products please!

5. Car is currently out of warranty, so, any trusted workshop in NCR for servicing the car?

Please pour in your suggestions ASAP.

@ Mods: Please move my query to appropriate section if it is posted in wrong thread.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:38   #1286
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its a 4300K shade and a 9006 type bulb on low beam only. I went for 4300K because its the whitest and has the max lumens per watt compared to the rest.
4300K will be the 'least' blue. The higher the colour temperature the bluer will the bulb become. I think 4300K is the best as in fog/rain it will give the best visibility.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:39   #1287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm...so if you have 3 fat guys in the back seat and trunk full of luggage, how does it detect the squat and adjust the beam.
There's 2 sensors, one on the dashboard and other on rear(still can't find where). They detect squat and angle of car based on load and If car is going uphill/downhill. The beam then adjusts itself automatically.

There's no manual adjust knob inside or a manual adjust crown screw for the low beam xenon.

Too much electronics is what I don't like.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:05   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
3. Does the car comes with only one remote key. The other key I got doesn't have remote lock function!
This is normal. Don't worry. Honda's are like that only
Old 21st January 2011, 14:45   #1289
BHPian

Honda is charging 6050 for a replacement battery (EXIDE i believe) for the civic. Will I get get a better deal outside?
Old 21st January 2011, 18:01   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's 2 sensors, one on the dashboard and other on rear(still can't find where). They detect squat and angle of car based on load and If car is going uphill/downhill. The beam then adjusts itself automatically.
OK, makes sense now. The rear sensor is usually attached to the suspension on one side and will look like a sway bar link.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks