Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 12:54   #1351
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Found that ebay sells several aftermarket cruise control devices. Dont know if they are good or not.
Can cruise control be fitted on a MT ?
If yes is it an easy job ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Update

Today replaced my Civic's A/T fluid at 41k kms at Linkway Honda,
Total Bill was 2781 with VAT.

Was your car sevice a Major one or Minor one ?
Isn't 40K a major service for a CIVIC. AFAIK for a 40K service in Dakshin/Whitefield Honda (BLR)the average cost for this is service is around 12,000Rs
Old 28th February 2011, 15:14   #1352
BHPian

Well my car i had bought it pre owned and at the time of purchase the odo reading was 39k.
So opened up the owners manual and did all the things which are told be to be done at 40k kms. But stil i felt something is missing. So few days back went ahead and replaced the AT oil and WOAH!! very noticeable difference in smoothness of shifts and time for shifts.

Although according to owners manual its recommended to change the AT oil at 60k its better if its done at 40K itself.
Old 1st March 2011, 13:54   #1353
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Can cruise control be fitted on a MT ?
If yes is it an easy job ?
As you know, the latest Civic comes with cruise control in both manual and AT variants. So it is definitely possible. However, I dont know if Honda can retrofit an older MT with a cruise control system or an aftermarket kit can do the same. Maybe experts can comment.

Quote:
So opened up the owners manual and did all the things which are told be to be done at 40k kms. But stil i felt something is missing. So few days back went ahead and replaced the AT oil and WOAH!! very noticeable difference in smoothness of shifts and time for shifts.
This is a very useful tip. I will get the AT oil changed during the 40k service which might happen sometime during this summer.

Did anyone try the alternate DSP setting of the stock HU. This is mentioned in iTNerd's thread. It is amazing to see how much the quality of sound changes. Wonder why it is not a regular feature and one has to use factory codes to find it. The only ICE enhancement I have done on my car is to dampen the front doors with Dynamat Extreme. This has really improved matters. Now with the DSP in alternate setting, I dont think I need to change the ICE.

Last edited by dot : 1st March 2011 at 14:03.
Old 1st March 2011, 14:13   #1354
BANNED

One must remember that the manual settings are for 'average' use. If there is a deviation then one can and should deviate. Take my case - it will be low mileage (<8000km per annum) and 70%+ highway. hardly normal! A car used mostly for local running will be heavier on the transmission - so expect shorter oil change intervals.
Old 1st March 2011, 16:27   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One must remember that the manual settings are for 'average' use. If there is a deviation then one can and should deviate. Take my case - it will be low mileage (<8000km per annum) and 70%+ highway. hardly normal! A car used mostly for local running will be heavier on the transmission - so expect shorter oil change intervals.
In fact, the owner's manual calls out two "operating conditions" - normal and severe. In-town driving (and depending on where you are, even highway driving) in India squarely falls under "severe", which is why Honda India mandates a service every 5k kms/3 months.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st March 2011, 18:14   #1356
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
In fact, the owner's manual calls out two "operating conditions" - normal and severe. In-town driving (and depending on where you are, even highway driving) in India squarely falls under "severe", which is why Honda India mandates a service every 5k kms/3 months.
Do they recommend a general service or an engine oil change every three months even if car has not covered 5k kilometers? That sounds a bit too much.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:39   #1357
BANNED

The dealers want to have you shell out dough every three months. Who cares about the environment, change oil every time. It is only with reluctance that Honda have increased the service intervals to 6 months. Let me add that the oil companies are happy with once a year or 10,000 miles starting with API-SF. Someone is obviously being economical with the truth!
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:51   #1358
dot
Senior - BHPian

@sgiitk, firstly congratulations on becoming distinguished Bhpian. I guess it must have happened recently.

Agree that the service people are always too eager to make you part with your money. Me thinks, 6 months is a good enough interval to change engine oil if the car has not run 10k Kms. Cars are more stronger that we think.
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:00   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did anyone try the alternate DSP setting of the stock HU. This is mentioned in iTNerd's thread. It is amazing to see how much the quality of sound changes.
Yes, I have tried the same and the bass unleash is a very good option.
Also the vehicle speed display in the KMPH, along with some Hz(Hertz ??) what is HZ , VFM all about ?
Why is the speed displayed in the HU is very much lesser than the one shown in speedometer ?
Tried the other options(display all the characters of the HU) etc
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:58   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is only with reluctance that Honda have increased the service intervals to 6 months. Let me add that the oil companies are happy with once a year or 10,000 miles starting with API-SF. Someone is obviously being economical with the truth!
Quote:
Do they recommend a general service or an engine oil change every three months even if car has not covered 5k kilometers? That sounds a bit too much.

Agree that the service people are always too eager to make you part with your money. Me thinks, 6 months is a good enough interval to change engine oil if the car has not run 10k Kms. Cars are more stronger that we think.
No no, the oil change interval remains 6 months/10k kms. If you ask me, even that's too much. Tata for instance mandates a 1 year/15k kms interval between oil changes for the Safari VTT. I believe the same's the case with the Fiat diesels. I think petrol engines can easily follow this schedule as well.

I was referring to the regular service interval. That's mentioned as 3 months/5k kms under "severe" conditions in the Honda manual. This is the regular clean/check/adjust/lubricate/repair/replace stuff.

Quote:
@sgiitk, firstly congratulations on becoming distinguished Bhpian. I guess it must have happened recently.
Yes - congratulations, Professor! I saw the status yesterday and was trying to recollect whether it was there before or not. Now that dot's confirmed it, congrats once again!

-----------------

By the way, what is the make and model of the Civic's stock HU? I will try out the "DSP hack" some time today.

Regards,
spadix
Old 2nd March 2011, 22:16   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Got my 50k service done today at 52.5 kms.

I had almost no complaints and instructed them for:

1. Routine service.
2. Synthetic Oil Change
3. Front 2 door switches replacement (they had just one in stock).

I was waiting in the customer lounge and the Service Advisor came and told me that the front brake pads, front brake disks and rear brake pads need to be changed.

I went and saw the condition and it was not good. Disks had uneven rough lines and pads also in the last stage.

Last time, I changed my disks at 31000 kms and at that time I was facing a problem of shuddering issue when brake applied at the speed of 90-100 kmph.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1617486

This time, I did not face any problems, else I would have told SA. The first set of disks lasted for 31k. Also, in last 12-14 months, I have changed my driving style and I don't go more than 2.5k - 3k RPM most of the time. So, is it possible that the next disks lasted only 21k kms?

What I remember, the brake pads have never been changed in my car, but SA told me that brake pads have been replaced and they are not the same that come with the new car (at the time of previous disk change).

Should I doubt them that they replaced my good disks with faulty ones? Why did they remove all four tyres when I had not asked them to do anything with tyres/brakes? (SA said that they check disks, pads of every car at every service).

Also, they have given me an estimate of 16-17k for these replacements. Can I get it done for lesser amount like "jatinpatel" got the OEM Nissin brake pads for Rs.1,600/- in Mumbai ?
Old 2nd March 2011, 23:05   #1362
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
What I remember, the brake pads have never been changed in my car, but SA told me that brake pads have been replaced and they are not the same that come with the new car (at the time of previous disk change).
Do you have the older bills? If you have done all the services at the Honda Service station they should have detailed records on their database.
Old 3rd March 2011, 01:26   #1363
BHPian

@mukesh

under normal service they do a complete check of the vehicle and in that check they must have found some issue with brakes so they must have removed the tires to check.Thats absolutely Normal.

Why you wanna buy new disks?
tell the SA to resurface the current ones as all the disks can be resurfaced upto certain min thickness limit.

Do a thing.
Replace all the brake pads, but check them first.
and tell SA to resurface the disk also called as "Disk Cutting" or "Skimming"

I dont see the point in changing disk if it has never been resurfaced ones.

and also
move your finger on the disk surface and you should come to know by touch that if the grooves on the disk are severe or mild. cause if the grooves are severe you should definitely get juddering while braking.
Also how is the brake pedal feel and travel?

If you can upload a picture of the Disk and the Pads.
And is your civic AT or MT?

Last edited by jatinpatel : 3rd March 2011 at 01:30.
Old 3rd March 2011, 02:08   #1364
Senior - BHPian

@ Mukesh, its a bit strange that your front OEM pads lasted for only 20k kms, with the kind of driving style you have mentioned. The civic we have at home has lately had its first front pad change 41k kms.

Shuddering problem is witnessed in all cars with ABS within first 30-40k kms. The best way to resolve the problem is to get the discs faced/shimmed and get a new set of brake pads. I know most OEMs including Honda dont face the discs and change them. However, its always better to get the discs faced on a machine from any reliable local garage. Since you are based in gurgaon, PM Suman to know where he got his fiesta's discs faced, it can be of help.

I too got the same problem in my cedia at 28k kms and front discs face @Rs.300 and front brake pads (aftermarket TRW) @ 2200 resolved the problem.

Also, brake pads for civic are far easily available in aftermarket. In Karol Bagh, you can find both front and rear pads of civic for within 2k (dont know the make). I am pretty sure nissin too will be available in karol bagh. Do give it a try, since the savings are huge. You can get this work done for within 3k, believe me. Even if you get nissin pads, it should be within 4k.

According to me, the OEM pads should have lasted atleast 40k under normal driving and 25-30k under hard driving. The aftermarket pads lasts easily for 25k under normal driving and about 15-20k under hard driving.

Lastly, fair condition of both discs and pads can be seen without removing the tyre. However, if both are in pretty bad shape, the tyres must be removed to see the condition in depth.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 3rd March 2011 at 02:10.
Old 3rd March 2011, 07:44   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys for suggestions.

Quote:
Do you have the older bills? If you have done all the services at the Honda Service station they should have detailed records on their database.
I checked all the records and bills. I have never paid for the brake pads in last 4.5 years / 52500 kms.

So, my original brake pads lasted for 52500 kms? that too in an AT ? and if the SA told be at 31k kms that the brake pads have been changed at least once, who/when/where someone changed it?

Anyway that's actually good so I am happy about it. And it shows my driving style.

Quote:
@mukesh

under normal service they do a complete check of the vehicle and in that check they must have found some issue with brakes so they must have removed the tires to check.Thats absolutely Normal.

Why you wanna buy new disks?
tell the SA to resurface the current ones as all the disks can be resurfaced upto certain min thickness limit.

Do a thing.
Replace all the brake pads, but check them first.
and tell SA to resurface the disk also called as "Disk Cutting" or "Skimming"

I dont see the point in changing disk if it has never been resurfaced ones.

and also
move your finger on the disk surface and you should come to know by touch that if the grooves on the disk are severe or mild. cause if the grooves are severe you should definitely get juddering while braking.
Also how is the brake pedal feel and travel?

If you can upload a picture of the Disk and the Pads.
And is your civic AT or MT?
Thanks. I don't want to buy new discs. That's why I told them not to do it now. I wanted to check all available options.

I asked Honda S.S. for skimming. They did not say no but they were reluctant to do so with excused like, we will have to send the disks to somewhere and then you will need to leave the car for 1-2 days and the person is on leave who takes them for skimming, etc etc.

Had it been only front brake pads, or front discs or rear pads, I would have asked them to replace but replacing for all three together is an expensive affair and I will get in done at Honda S.S. only if there are no other options.

I was not getting any juddering while braking. Brake pedal feel is also fine.

Mine is an AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
@ Mukesh, its a bit strange that your front OEM pads lasted for only 20k kms, with the kind of driving style you have mentioned. The civic we have at home has lately had its first front pad change 41k kms.

Shuddering problem is witnessed in all cars with ABS within first 30-40k kms. The best way to resolve the problem is to get the discs faced/shimmed and get a new set of brake pads. I know most OEMs including Honda dont face the discs and change them. However, its always better to get the discs faced on a machine from any reliable local garage. Since you are based in gurgaon, PM Suman to know where he got his fiesta's discs faced, it can be of help.

I too got the same problem in my cedia at 28k kms and front discs face @Rs.300 and front brake pads (aftermarket TRW) @ 2200 resolved the problem.

Also, brake pads for civic are far easily available in aftermarket. In Karol Bagh, you can find both front and rear pads of civic for within 2k (dont know the make). I am pretty sure nissin too will be available in karol bagh. Do give it a try, since the savings are huge. You can get this work done for within 3k, believe me. Even if you get nissin pads, it should be within 4k.

According to me, the OEM pads should have lasted atleast 40k under normal driving and 25-30k under hard driving. The aftermarket pads lasts easily for 25k under normal driving and about 15-20k under hard driving.

Lastly, fair condition of both discs and pads can be seen without removing the tyre. However, if both are in pretty bad shape, the tyres must be removed to see the condition in depth.
Thanks Gaurav,

It's not the brake pads, it is the discs which lasted only 21k kms.

I will PM Suman if he can suggest me any good place in Gurgaon to get the skimming done. I go to Delhi (north/west) also if you or someone else can suggest a place.

Do you know any particular shop or market in Karol Bagh who sells brake pads, please let me know.

Regards,
MG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks