Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 10:58   #1396
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I think it is a matter of driving style and acceptance.
Completely in agreement here. having personally taken the civic to remote parts of the forests in Kerala and karnataka, I know what she can do if driven agreeably.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:04   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Maybe DSP Off works better in the stock, non-amplified setup?
Yes I agree. Even I have a Subwoofer, the moment I swtich on the DSP OFF, the music just goes for a toss with SubW.
Ye's it's better iff you are using the Stock system.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:32   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
True. The other day a friend of mine didnt believe that my Civic has not bottomed out in Pune so far. So we drove over places where his ANHC bottoms out. Civic still didnt bottom out.
I think it is a matter of driving style and acceptance.
True, I drive in and around Pune too and I have scraped only once in Pune at a relatively bad parking entrance at a relatively higher speed.

Only other places where I have managed to scrape

1. Again at a parking entrance where the exhaust pipe took a hit. Later I saw a Tavera scrapping its front bumper. Realised that entrance was one of the worst and its not only Civic. While moving out took it a a angle and no scraps.
2. On way back to Bangalore from Vrindavan garden- Real natsy bump where even a Indica took a hit.

So slowing down and driving at an angle works most of the time. Otherwise I think this issue is overhyped OR the old Civics had a issue which is solved in the upgrade.
Old 7th March 2011, 13:36   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
So slowing down and driving at an angle works most of the time.
That is it. In the initial days my Civic used to scrape pretty much everywhere. Now I can take those same bumps/speed-breakers without a single scrape. One just has to learn the technique apropos for this car.

There still are some places though where the classic work-around (angle) can't be applied and geometry takes over irrespective of how slow the car is. Philosophy rather than technique helps in such cases .

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th March 2011, 15:10   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That is it. In the initial days my Civic used to scrape pretty much everywhere. Now I can take those same bumps/speed-breakers without a single scrape. One just has to learn the technique apropos for this car.

There still are some places though where the classic work-around (angle) can't be applied and geometry takes over irrespective of how slow the car is. Philosophy rather than technique helps in such cases .

Regards,
spadix
well technique will help you against the speedbreakers or should I car car breakers. But what can we do when the suspension bottoms out of any surface that is not not even and there are many.

I've again started my effort to find out some cost effective way to stiffen my cars' suspension. Just spoke to Oberai suspension and he did mention about installing firmer springs. Will give him a visit sometime this week to get a first hand information about the options. Approximate cost is around 8K INR for replacing all 4 springs.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:15   #1401
BANNED

I think as it is the suspension of the Civic is pretty firm. harder springs will make it only worse.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:18   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think as it is the suspension of the Civic is pretty firm. harder springs will make it only worse.
Professor that might be true about the facelifted Civic but even that has split opinion. And if what you say is correct then then why does it bottom out with 3-4 passengers?
Old 7th March 2011, 15:31   #1403
BANNED

It is the give. The bottoming out is controlled more by the behaviour at speed. It is a low slung car with a long wheelbase. The Ground Clearance figures are irrelevant, since they just give the GC of the lowest part, i.e. the steering linkage between the front wheels, which will ride up and down with the car, i.e. will never hit the floor!

It is known that Honda did not raise the car for India not being willing to compromise of the behaviour, unlike the competition (read Toyota, Skoda, etc.).
Old 7th March 2011, 15:45   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is the give. The bottoming out is controlled more by the behaviour at speed. It is a low slung car with a long wheelbase. The Ground Clearance figures are irrelevant, since they just give the GC of the lowest part, i.e. the steering linkage between the front wheels, which will ride up and down with the car, i.e. will never hit the floor!

It is known that Honda did not raise the car for India not being willing to compromise of the behaviour, unlike the competition (read Toyota, Skoda, etc.).
I think I have not been able to explain clearly my problem with my Civic.

The low ground clearance has not been at all an issue for me, I've just scraped the bottom of my car once that too because I was not careful. This happened on the very second day of the my ownership.

My issue has been the suspension bottoming out with moderate payload. The only remedy I can see is to install either firmed suspension/springs or both.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:32   #1405
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Completely in agreement here. having personally taken the civic to remote parts of the forests in Kerala and karnataka, I know what she can do if driven agreeably.
I too have driven extensively in forests and backyards of Karnataka and Kerala, so I understand the road conditions there. On those roads you have taken the pre-facelifted Civic (with so called bad suspension) several times, as your travelogues tell. For the rest of us, it means that we have nothing to worry about.
Old 8th March 2011, 09:10   #1406
BANNED

@hiren.mistry: you can try out the spring upgrade and hope that it does not make the already taut suspension even harder. I have heard of a Bangalore based tuner offering variable height suspensions, but at a stiff price.

I never had need to drive on a highway with more than three on board, so cannot comment on it. I have scraped the bottom quite a few times, speed breakers on Haryana Roads. the RTO check post on NH92 hear Gwalior (i wonder whether even a vehicle like the Innova will be able to survive this one), etc. I have learnt just to swear and bear it!
Old 8th March 2011, 09:25   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@hiren.mistry: you can try out the spring upgrade and hope that it does not make the already taut suspension even harder. I have heard of a Bangalore based tuner offering variable height suspensions, but at a stiff price.

I never had need to drive on a highway with more than three on board, so cannot comment on it. I have scraped the bottom quite a few times, speed breakers on Haryana Roads. the RTO check post on NH92 hear Gwalior (i wonder whether even a vehicle like the Innova will be able to survive this one), etc. I have learnt just to swear and bear it!
If you are referring to Red Rooster then yes, they do offer Tein coilovers and they are priced too high. As of now I still have to be sure that the change will bring about the change I want.

Honda I beleive is trying to teach us the virtues of tolerance. Its working too.

Regards
Old 14th March 2011, 11:56   #1408
BHPian

I know this has been discussed in other threads but I have a question on Suspension spacers.

Though I rarely scrape over speed breakers (must be about 2-3 times so far), the problem is the parking at work is in a basement with an unscientifically designed ramp. I tend to scrape whenever I am a bit careless or slightly over 5 kmph or when I attempt to go over the ramp in a straight line. A colleague has a NHC and he has the same problem here.
Recently he got nylon spacers added to the rear suspension and he is now comfortably able to go up and down the ramp with additional passengers as well. Additional passengers in the car was completely unthinkable.

He was also saying that earlier he had Aluminum spacers which made the ride rougher but he is happy with the nylon ones. There is no perceptible change in the performance now.

So the question is will adding nylon spacers do any harm to the car? I don't mind sacrificing the ride comfort a bit to avoid the scraping. The place where he got it done doesn't stock the spacers for Civic. Where can I get them and if anybody has any idea about the price that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 14th March 2011, 12:07   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I know this has been discussed in other threads but I have a question on Suspension spacers.

He was also saying that earlier he had Aluminum spacers which made the ride rougher but he is happy with the nylon ones. There is no perceptible change in the performance now.
Wouldn't that increase the ride height of the car? I've been told about this by my mechanic as well but I am not sure whether I want to go in for it.

Regards
Old 14th March 2011, 12:24   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Wouldn't that increase the ride height of the car? I've been told about this by my mechanic as well but I am not sure whether I want to go in for it.

Regards
Yes by a few mm (this is enough in my case and probably to avoid scraping speed breakers for most others), depending on the spacer used(?) in the rear and that's the whole idea.

Most Viewed