Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 22:31   #1486
BHPian

Brake Pads replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
He also said the rear brake pads have worn off completely and need replacement and will cost 5500/-.

Will the pads normally need replacement at 30,000 kms on an auto?
Has your front pads been replaced already? If yes at what kms?

My front was replaced at 40K and rear at 65K. (Auto Transmission).
Old 26th March 2011, 22:37   #1487
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

My civvys front pads were replaced at 57k and rear at 65k. It's MT. And stock tyres at 60K.
Old 26th March 2011, 22:45   #1488
BHPian

Today replaced the power steering rack return hose line as mine had cracked and was leaking also did TB cleaning.

And what a ROCKET she is now.
All over in love again with her now.

Hopibg the FE to improve now more, before TB cleaning was getting aroung 7.8kmpl in bumper to bumper mumbai traffic.
Old 26th March 2011, 23:06   #1489
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Today replaced the power steering rack return hose line as mine had cracked and was leaking also did TB cleaning.
How much has your car run? How did you find out that the steering rack hose line had a leak. At least Honda didn't ask you to change the entire rack. Our Ikon had developed a leak on the steering rack last year, Ford had to change the entire rack! 18 grands gone.
Old 27th March 2011, 09:28   #1490
Senior - BHPian

I always feel honda is ready to try and solve the problem, while other manufacturers prefer to just replace the whole part. And anything power steering related is expensive. Just read @dot post of 18k for the ikon.
Also what is TB cleaning? Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 27th March 2011, 14:16   #1491
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Also what is TB cleaning?
TB is throttle body. It is recommended to clean throttle body at regular intervals. Some say 20k, others 40k. Mobil site says 75k miles. Considering poor quality fuel and dusty conditions on our road, annual TB cleaning may not be a bad idea.
Old 27th March 2011, 20:30   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
1. keep window open
2. lock using remote
3. unlock from inside
4. open door using outside door handle
I guess I did this to sound the alarm once (accidently). Will try again tomorrow.
Being the weekend, I wanted to try this out. To my dismay, this did not make the alarm go off.

Also, I tried to see the results of attempting to start the car sitting inside after locking it using the remote. The moment I inserted the key in the ignition, the red led(on the dashboard) went off signalling deactivation of the security system. I was able to start the car as usual.

This got me thinking whether the alarm in my car is functional or not in the first place. Planning to take it up with the A.S.S
Old 27th March 2011, 22:23   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Being the weekend, I wanted to try this out. To my dismay, this did not make the alarm go off.

Also, I tried to see the results of attempting to start the car sitting inside after locking it using the remote. The moment I inserted the key in the ignition, the red led(on the dashboard) went off signalling deactivation of the security system. I was able to start the car as usual.

This got me thinking whether the alarm in my car is functional or not in the first place. Planning to take it up with the A.S.S
I too tried this again (I think I said in one of the posts above) and it did not work. So I re-tried later and alarm did sound once but I dont know how.
Old 27th March 2011, 23:06   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
How much has your car run? How did you find out that the steering rack hose line had a leak. At least Honda didn't ask you to change the entire rack. Our Ikon had developed a leak on the steering rack last year, Ford had to change the entire rack! 18 grands gone.

My Silver Rocket has run around 42k well on my last visit to honda for the A/T transmission oil change the car had been raised on the ramp since i always stand with my car when its visiting the doctor i observed Wetness at the rack reported the same and it was diagnosed to little cracked retrun hose nothing wrong with the rack. At that time they didnt had the hose in stock so they just told me to keep the level in check and when the part arrived they said they would call me and they stayed to their word and called me promptly.

Same hose in open market is for 1.5k while in Honda its for 700rs. Some parts are cheap in Honda as compared to open market its better to check both prices before buying anything.

Now new problem of slight brake judder has started but its not a major problem right now, will attend to it in few k,kms.

My total bill with TB cleaning and hose replacement and PS fluid (1L) came upto 1902rs
and its better to do TB cleaning on every 10k service cause 350rs extra spending returns itself in improved mileage and that awsome intake note.

And they say Honda is expensive to maintain
Old 28th March 2011, 11:22   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Thats some excellent reporting there Jatin. My car is due for its annual service next month and am keeping a keen eye on the things to be done.

So far I've come up with: It will be going for a 25K service.
Oil change - I'm good with Honda Synthetic oil (Idemitsu)
Suspension re-torquing
Throttle body clean up
Brake check
Some minor rattles from the front arm rest and right front door.

Cheers
Old 28th March 2011, 11:31   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @dot for the clarification.
Wish i knew about this before. Would have opted for TB cleaning as it is only 350.
Also would like to advise people going in for service to get the engine bay 3m treatment. My jaw dropped after seeing the engine post treatment. It wasnt that clean even when it was brand NEW!
Old 28th March 2011, 11:42   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Got Hella Red grills fitted in my CIVIC.
Cost 1500 Rs including wiring +clamps+ labour
Horn Mrp - 1350 (got it for 1200Rs)
Labour+wiring -300Rs
Hella horns which are manufactured in Gurgoan are nowhere near to the ones which are manufactured in Germany.
Made in Germany ones are music to ears.
This is almost 7th Hella Red grill horn which i've put in my vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Nope.. not required the stock horn was just disconnected and wiring was taken from the stock connectors itself and relay was added.
Agreed, the stock horns are just behind the fog lamp vents in the bumper.
Remove the top 5 cilps + bottom 4 clips, the horn is visible, take wiring from here and get it connected to the horns.
I'm insterested to see as where you have fit you horns without removing the bumpers. Please post a pic of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Bumper removal is a simple 5 minutes matter. Remove about 5 clips on the top, 5 clips below and two screws from the side. Pull it out it's in your hand.
I agree,
Lalu you are bang on target, bumper removal is very easy indeed, just followed the steps you have mentioned.

when almost all the clips were removed, we found it difficult to mount the horns on the front frame, so had to get the bumper removed.
Got the horn fitted between radiator & the front frame, there's lots of space to fit any horn, after putting a clamp. No drilling of holes either, there are 2 holes to fit the horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
@sushrutha, would you be taking pictures of the horn installation? It would be of great help if you can.
I shall post the pics in sometime, but the photos haven't come good, as I have taken in my mobile phone & it was late evening n dark too
Old 28th March 2011, 14:47   #1498
BHPian

Re: Brake Pads replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Has your front pads been replaced already? If yes at what kms?

My front was replaced at 40K and rear at 65K. (Auto Transmission).
No, the front pads are in good shape apparently and only the rear ones have worn off. My exact mileage as of today is 28895.

The pads cost 5223.16 all inclusive.
Old 28th March 2011, 15:09   #1499
BANNED

@patron; very strange. Rear giving up before the front, and that too at only 29k!
Old 28th March 2011, 20:35   #1500
BHPian

This threrad is a honda civic bible here with more than 1400 replies and 100K views. Just rated 5 star.

Most Viewed