Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 18:19   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
5. High fuel consumption - The explanation given by the SA was the air filter in my car was clogged terribly, cleaned and refitted. So the mileage should improve. Had tanked up a couple of weeks ago; used to it for 411 KMS before tanking up immediately after the service. The car took in 41 ltrs of fuel. So exactly 10 KMPL. Hope to see this figure improve now.
10 kmpl is what I used to get out of 100% in-city driving (AC on all the time) in my M/T Civic. And I don't exactly rip the pants off the car either. There were a couple of tankfuls where I was extra-cautious and managed 11.4 kmpl in the same driving cycle and that's what I'm trying to maintain now.

I'll be interested in seeing how much you can eke out after this service.

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th May 2011, 21:08   #1607
Senior - BHPian

What about the pads/discs available abroad? I might be able to get someone to carry a set for me. I would ideally want a direct fit set with ZERO jugar/modifications.

I see EBC (Red/Yellow/Green), Hawk, Akebono, Beck/Arnley, Brembo blah blah ..
Ceramic, semi-metallic, organic .. pads
Plain, Slotted, Drilled .. rotors

Advise? Comments? Feedback?
Old 4th May 2011, 22:14   #1608
BHPian

How safe are these pads? They might have the HONDA emblem etched in them. But, how can we be sure that they are really original?

Anybody aware of prices at Carnation? They supposedly import from Thailand, right?

Brake pads are really critical as far as safety is concerned. My pads are due for replacement and am scared to take chances.

Also how reliable is disc skimming? What is the price of new discs?

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2011, 09:17   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
10 kmpl is what I used to get out of 100% in-city driving (AC on all the time) in my M/T Civic. And I don't exactly rip the pants off the car either. There were a couple of tankfuls where I was extra-cautious and managed 11.4 kmpl in the same driving cycle and that's what I'm trying to maintain now.

I'll be interested in seeing how much you can eke out after this service.

Regards,
spadix
That makes the two of us.
I have a proper highway trip planned tomorrow, will try to maintain a 100-120 KMPH speed. Will come back with a report on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
How safe are these pads? They might have the HONDA emblem etched in them. But, how can we be sure that they are really original?

Anybody aware of prices at Carnation? They supposedly import from Thailand, right?
I have no reason to believe these are not original, they came with Honda branding even on the cover. If you questioning the originality because of the price difference then be aware that Honda is known to jack up the spares prices.
There are Nissin branded pads available too. I had inquired about Hawk too but they are not easily available in the after market. The best bet would be tuner shops around you.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 11:07   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also how reliable is disc skimming?
Disc skimming is done to clear off the surface lines which are formed if the brake pads wear n tear is improper and also when foreign particles(Sand/ mud/ small stones) enters between pads nd rotors which inturn create surface lines and cause unevenness in the rotors. And also because of heavy usage of brakes the rotors fade.
Skimming of rotors is done in proper Lathe to remove these uneveness & surface lines, which when done properly would make the surface smooth and the contact of brake pads with rotors to be more effective.

There is a limit for the skimming(say max of 2 times) after which the rotors would become thin in size and will be ineffective in braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense
What is the price of new discs?
The price of new rotors @ Honda A.S.S is around 6000Rs.

Quote:
There are Nissin branded pads available too. I had inquired about Hawk too but they are not easily available in the after market. The best bet would be tuner shops around you.
I once brought Nissin branded brake pads from a reputed shop in Bangalore for my OHC, though they were ceramic ones they started to fade very rapidly and later they did have crack marks in all the pads. I changed these brake pads when they had just run 8K kms.
Couldn't claim a warranty on these brake pads as these were imported ones. Probably I was plain unlucky.
I had paid close to 1800Rs for the same.

I then replaced those pads with OEM brake pads of Honda from another shop for 1700Rs, These are far better than the Nissin brake pads.
Remember Honda OEM brake pads are manufactured by Nissin itself.

Back to Civic Brake spare parts price.
I recently enquired for the same. Here is the quote for the same from them provided through email.
HONDA CIVIC .
>>> Front Brake Pads RS 1650
>>> Rear Brake Pads RS 1650
>>> Front Brake Rotors RS 2800X 2
>>> Front Struts 4800 X 2 + Struts Kits

COURIER FEE RS 80/KG BY AIR.

The prices seems to be reasonable.
Has anybody brought any spare parts from this shop ? How reliable is the shop ?

Last edited by Samurai : 6th May 2011 at 12:25. Reason: edited as requested
sushrutha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 11:24   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Back to Civic Brake spare parts price. Here is the quote for the same from them provided through email.
HONDA CIVIC .

Thats exactly what I paid for my front pads. And yes the prices are very reasonable. Will store this URL for future reference.

Regards

Last edited by Samurai : 6th May 2011 at 12:27. Reason: edited referenced post
Old 5th May 2011, 12:04   #1612
BANNED

Quote:
Also how reliable is disc skimming? What is the price of new discs?
Disk skimming is he process of removing a small layer to remove the various grooves, etc. which occur during usage. Also, I will add another point - honing, aka facing also 'keys' the surface and then the chances of a friction mismatch are reduced.

There is a minimum thickness specified, and repeated skimming/honing is fine as long as your disc stars thiker than the limit. In India the use of a lathe is near universal, though abroad they have special machines as well. Just make sure that operator does not do any movement along the bed in the final pass.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 15:12   #1613
Senior - BHPian

I completely agree with Sushrutha and Stiitk, that the discs skimming is done to make rotors even and a use of proper lathe machine can do the need full.

I have seen Asian Motors (Mitsubishi A$$) do disc skimming of all cars atleast 2-3 times before they change it. They measure the thickness of the discs after 60-80k kms and replace them if needed. Please note, most pajeros and outlander owners dont mind paying extra for new discs but rather than minting money from them, the A$$ just skims the discs.

One can feel a considerable gain in braking after skimming and change of brake pads and its all worth it. For the brake pads, the MMC front brake pads(OE) of cedia costs 3400 at the A$$ and same in the aftermarket. Dont know how but HM through some jugad manages to get parts at similar price of what it is available in the aftermarket. When you buy these pads from aftermarket they have a MMC logo on the box which is sealed (like you have on mobile boxes) and this recons these are originals.

I got TRW aftermarket brakepads for cedia, made in germany and that too came in a sealed box. It has explicit instructions on how to install brake pads and that too in 6 different languages. Both front and rear TRWs can now be sourced for under Rs.3500/-

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0330.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0331.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0332.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0333.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0335.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0337.jpg

TRW in collaboration with Rane is also making brake pads in India. So, you will get TRW made in India brake pads and Rane made in India brake pads for civic.

Apart from this, you should also get Bosch brake pads for civic. Bosh has expanded big time in India and is now making brake pads for many Indian car here in India.

Continental, Brembo, Knorr-Bremsse, Nissin, Power House are some other brake pads manufacturers who manufacture pads for many cars sold in India. Delphi is also big in India but they sold their brakes business some time back I guess.

It is also to be noted that many A$$ of all the OEMS use Rane pads instead of OE pads and charge OE pads price. Since Rane pads are cheaper than other OE pads, they make more money from it.

Quote:
There is a limit for the skimming(say max of 2 times) after which the rotors would become thin in size and will be ineffective in braking.
Running on thin brake discs not only results in ineffective braking, but may also result in cracks being developed on discs and ultimately the disc may break.

Quote:
Back to Civic Brake spare parts price. Here is the quote for the same from them provided through email.
HONDA CIVIC .

Looks pretty genuine, most auto parts are imported/sourced by wholesales in Kashmere Gate (largest independent auto parts market in India) and are then distributed across the country. In person, you can still get these parts for 20-30% cheaper from the same shop. But its still reasonable. Its good to see Kashmere Gate people come up with such online stores .

Last edited by Samurai : 6th May 2011 at 12:27. Reason: edited referenced post
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 17:35   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Are these EBC OE rotors worth it? They'll cost around 4 - 4.5K. I think the showrooms sells the OE rotors for a similar price tag.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...35UPR7116.html

Looks like there are umpteen deals on aftermarket pads but not so for the rotors.
Old 5th May 2011, 22:16   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Disc skimming is done to clear off the surface lines which are formed if the brake pads wear n tear is improper and also when foreign particles(Sand/ mud/ small stones) enters between pads nd rotors which inturn create surface lines and cause unevenness in the rotors....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Disk skimming is he process of removing a small layer to remove the various grooves, etc. which occur during usage. Also, I will add another point - honing, aka facing also 'keys' the surface and then the chances of a friction mismatch are reduced.
My steering wheel shakes when I brake at high speed. The discs look uneven. Would skimming get rid of the problem? Also does the Honda A.S.S. do the skimming? Again, not very comfortable to let local shops touch the brakes. Looks like am getting a bit paranoid here.
Old 6th May 2011, 01:33   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
My steering wheel shakes when I brake at high speed.
I had the same problem and it vanished when I replaced the front brake disc and pads.
(New discs cost around 5K and the pads another 5K).
Old 6th May 2011, 09:53   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My steering wheel shakes when I brake at high speed. The discs look uneven. Would skimming get rid of the problem?
Yes, A proper skimming/Facing should help you get rid of the vibrations.
How is the condition of Brake pads. If they have almost reached their end, better to replace them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense
Also does the Honda A.S.S. do the skimming? Again, not very comfortable to let local shops touch the brakes. Looks like am getting a bit paranoid here.
Mostly no. Because one needs a Lathe to do skimming, which Honda A.S.S wouldn't have with them.
They usually send the Discs to a Workshop which has a lathe.
In Bangalore, most A.S.S (Honda/Hyundai) send the discs to Lathe workshops at J.C.Road.
Magnum Honda quoted me 1500Rs(including labour) for the same.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:29   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My steering wheel shakes when I brake at high speed. The discs look uneven. Would skimming get rid of the problem? Also does the Honda A.S.S. do the skimming? Again, not very comfortable to let local shops touch the brakes. Looks like am getting a bit paranoid here.
Yes, HASS should undertake the skimming for you. Whether they do it in house or out source it, is entirely different.
I just got my front disc's skimmed during the 30K service and that work was done outside. I was charged 950 for that, I'm sure its going to be much cheaper outside.

I can feel some mild vibrations on the steering wheel while braking at speeds upwards of 120 clicks, nothing alarming though.

OT: Any guesses how much HASS charges for nitrogen filling in your tires? A whopping 375.
Old 7th May 2011, 14:54   #1619
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

OT: Any guesses how much HASS charges for nitrogen filling in your tires? A whopping 375.
Wow, that is really a case of 375 gone with the wind. Or gone with 20% oxygen.
Old 7th May 2011, 15:06   #1620
BHPian

Done with 4th servicing...

850 - servicing
999 - mineral oil
~ 200 - oil filter
0 - tyre rotation
0 - Front left indicator wiring fix (was not working and was the only issue I had)
~ 200 - consumables
~ 300 - brake degreasing
~ 300 - service plus - some window glass cleaner + baterry terminal antirust treatment.
~ 100 - some wiper wash liquid
total bill including taxes 3100
Last 3 were unexpected and were not mentioned to me before/during servicing but the approx estimate included these cost (which I failed to get into details beforehand).
AC cleaning (approx 1000) was also being dumped on me but I clearly mentioned as it is not required.
Another note on the motor care - I saw printed prices of engine waxing and it is mentioned as ~2K for civic. So the Rs 400 worth of motor care suddenly is costing 5 times more!

Last edited by alto99 : 7th May 2011 at 15:10.
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed