Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2011, 11:12   #1651
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Civic is certainly screwed together better compared to entry level sadans e.g. Accent! But somehow, I miss the build quality of certain Europeans! Be it the steel panels or the plastics!

I had similar incident on Valentine's day this year when I was in Chandigarh! It was drizzling, I was taking a round about in my Civic when a speeding Maruti 800 driven by an elderly chap slipped under braking and became uncontrollable! I saw the car coming towards me, braked and stopped but the 800 bruised against front left hand side of my car, and crashed into the round about!

Damage on the 800 due to bruising against my car - couple of deep scratches

Damage on my car - dented front left fender, torn apart front bumper, completely broken headlight assembly!

I was appalled to see such damage just because of bruising on a stand still car! Moreover, the complication was due to the fact that I have custom made headlamps on my car! Another bummer I got to hear when I called Honda about the headlamp availability, they told me it is available but I will need to buy the complete set for INR 16000!

Buying a new set, painting it matte black and then put customized projectors into it seems to be an overkill! So, I asked one of my friends and he arranged a used LHS Civic headlamp assembly for INR 3000! Eh, the mental agony I had to go through was so unbearable! Simply could not believe an 800 could do such damage to a premium Japanese car!
Ouch! That sucks. Sorry to hear about this.
If the tiny 800 can wreck such damage, can you imagine what will happen if our Civic has a collision with the ambassador?

Ever since I've got the Civic I've become a very, very safe driver to the extend that most people call me paranoid.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:02   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Will send you across tomorrow, dont have the numbers handy. Also I attached a map of the market couple of month back on this thread, here is the post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2264716
Thanks for the map. Are you sure these guys sell original Honda parts? (asking because of the questionable happenings in this area)

Quote:
We should actually love to say this, had it been any other country, you would have had to buy a new assembly for 16 grand. I sorely missed such markets when I was in UK .
lol. Man, you should have taken some help from 'Google' Bhaiya! Such markets exist in every part of this world, if not physically, then through internet! I bought most of the stuff I needed for my Mazda from California, for dirt-cheap prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Ouch! That sucks. Sorry to hear about this.
If the tiny 800 can wreck such damage, can you imagine what will happen if our Civic has a collision with the ambassador?

Ever since I've got the Civic I've become a very, very safe driver to the extend that most people call me paranoid.
I have no doubt about the safety/crumple zones in Civic. God forbid, but in case of a big crash, I would rather prefer be in a Civic than in a Ambassdor!

But it is the regular wear and tear that shows Honda's build quality in Civic's body shell! As Gaurav told in his experience, if someone rear ends you; he gets away with a few scratches but we are left with a broken bumper!

I am sure you remember the incident replacing door in your car! I mean, come on, a two wheeler causing so much damage to a Civic, and have no damage at all to itself!!! It is frustrating indeed!

You are quite right in a way, even I have become seriously paranoid about driving my car safely within city limits, no matter how much I redline her on the deserted highways! I just don't want to visit body repair shops frequently!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 13th May 2011 at 12:08.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:08   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have no doubt about the safety/crumple zones in Civic. God forbid, but in case of a big crash, I would rather prefer be in a Civic than in a Ambassdor!

But it is the regular wear and tear that shows Honda's build quality! As Gaurav told in his experience, if someone rear ends you; he gets away with a few scratches but we are left with a broken bumper!

I am sure you remember the incident replacing door in your car! I mean, come on, a two wheeler causing so much damage to a Civic!!! It is frustrating indeed!

You are quite right in a way, even I have become seriously paranoid about driving my car safely within city limits, no matter how much I redline her on the deserted highways!
Absolutely no doubts about that, totally agree with you.
How can I forget that? I still can't fathom it, a scooter at 30-35 kph can cause that much damage.

You know, I went for a longish trip last week towards Gujarat. I was dreaming of nice open roads on NH8 but alas! It was not to be. It took me over 5 hours to cover 200 KMS and same on the way back. So all my plans to check any improvements in my cars mileage post servicing went for a toss.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:20   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the map. Are you sure these guys sell original Honda parts? (asking because of the questionable happenings in this area)
They have both aftermarket and OE parts. They give you prices of both and then its up to one to decide. Ask for a sealed box, shouldnt be an issue. Have personally visited Sahani and Chawla for 800, swift and lancer and cedia (brake pads). Havent had any issues till date. Will send you chawla's number, you can call in before you go.

Quote:
lol. Man, you should have taken some help from 'Google' Bhaiya! Such markets exist in every part of this world, if not physically, then through internet! I bought most of the stuff I needed for my Mazda from California, for dirt-cheap prices!
Ya, I could have but the problem is I am not a very firm believer in buying stuff online, personally like to see the product before I pay for it. But yes ordered projectors for a friend's polo mark 3 and got it for half the price, so I know ebay and other online stores are big relief.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th May 2011 at 12:25.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 13:02   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
You know, I went for a longish trip last week towards Gujarat. I was dreaming of nice open roads on NH8 but alas! It was not to be. It took me over 5 hours to cover 200 KMS and same on the way back. So all my plans to check any improvements in my cars mileage post servicing went for a toss.
Ah, which places did you go to? I am myself contemplating an one day long drive to Mussoorie (650 kms round trip) sometime next week! Also, 45K service for my Shark is approaching; nothing needs to be changed or anything but I need to get my brake rotors cleaned and skimmed before I go on such a long drive! Last thing I want to have is inadequate brake feel on hilly roads! Therefore planning to visit HASS for the work needed! If they charge exorbitant amount for the same, it will be done outside!
Old 13th May 2011, 13:30   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, which places did you go to? I am myself contemplating an one day long drive to Mussoorie (650 kms round trip) sometime next week!
Hope you will visit Rishikesh for Rafting as well. Its the best thing one can do. I went there last year, personally loved it.

Quote:
Also, 45K service for my Shark is approaching; nothing needs to be changed or anything but I need to get my brake rotors cleaned and skimmed before I go on such a long drive! Last thing I want to have is inadequate brake feel on hilly roads!
Hilly area is just about 40kms each side, if I remember right. If you dont have any problem of uneven braking or shuddering, please avoid shimming, it reduces the disc's width. Maximum you can do it get the discs cleaned from sand paper from outside. Ofcourse, if you face uneven braking, shimming is all worth it.

In fact, shimming the discs after comming back will be a better option. Braking in Hilly areas actually leads to uneven wear of discs.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th May 2011 at 13:34.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:42   #1657
Senior - BHPian

Just came back after a 1200 km trip to Kerala. Car was lovely all the way and returned an average FE of abut 13.2 in spite of some aggressive stints in both directions. Had a pretty big bruise on the front bumper on the left side due to poor judgement while reversing into a tight spot. Looks pretty ugly as of now. Hope that area can be repainted.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:43   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you will visit Rishikesh for Rafting as well. Its the best thing one can do. I went there last year, personally loved it.
If I plan to extend the trip for an extra day, then yes! Otherwise the whole thing will be too much to ask for a day!

Quote:
Hilly area is just about 40kms each side, if I remember right. If you dont have any problem of uneven braking or shuddering, please avoid shimming, it reduces the disc's width. Maximum you can do it get the discs cleaned from sand paper from outside. Ofcourse, if you face uneven braking, shimming is all worth it.

In fact, shimming the discs after comming back will be a better option. Braking in Hilly areas actually leads to uneven wear of discs.
I do not feel uneven braking but my steering wheel vibrates while braking at high speeds (120+ so)! And since I regularly do these speeds on empty stretches, I can tell the brake bite has been reduced quite a bit lately!

My idea of doing this whole trip is for driving pleasure in those 40 odd kilometers and don't want spoil my share of fun in hairpin turns just because I do not have adequate braking in my car! Hence the skimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Just came back after a 1200 km trip to Kerala. Car was lovely all the way and returned an average FE of abut 13.2 in spite of some aggressive stints in both directions. Had a pretty big bruise on the front bumper on the left side due to poor judgement while reversing into a tight spot. Looks pretty ugly as of now. Hope that area can be repainted.
Aha, good to hear about car's performance on a long trip, vasoo!

I know how it feels seeing those bruises on your car! If the bruise isn't very deep, it can be rubbed off using some good quality rubbing compound, otherwise you will need to get the repainting done!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 13th May 2011 at 13:47.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:43   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Typically that smell (exactly as you describe) lasts for 30 seconds if the AC is switched on after a gap of a few hours. Never been able to find a pattern, but I used to get it in the morning when starting for office and then again in the evening when starting from office.
I thought I'll have a look at the cabin air filter (located behind the glove box). Pulled out the filter 'tray' and lo ! There is no filter there.

Don't our Civics come with the filter?
Old 13th May 2011, 14:50   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
I thought I'll have a look at the cabin air filter (located behind the glove box). Pulled out the filter 'tray' and lo ! There is no filter there.

I remember a discussion which said it was not in old civics. How should it be cleaned if it is present?
EDIT: Just realised that yours is a new one (2010) so it should have been present. Will check if it is present in mine.

By the way about the foul smell I tried what had read on this forum somewhere. Started the Auto AC with temp set to "Hi" and with fan setting to full for 2 minutes. After this for 2 days I have not experienced the smell at all.

Last edited by alto99 : 13th May 2011 at 14:52.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:16   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How does one gain access to the filter ? Is it as simple as opening the glove compartment and locating it or is there more to it ?Thanks.
Old 13th May 2011, 15:24   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
How does one gain access to the filter ? Is it as simple as opening the glove compartment and locating it or is there more to it ?Thanks.
Yes, there are 2 pins on the sides glove box which holds it after it is opened. You have to press the glovebox inwards near these pins and open it further than normal position.
I could do that but did not proceed as I did not knew how to clean the filter and also because my 4 year old daugheter was eager to do the cleaning!
Old 13th May 2011, 15:29   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I did a 1500 odd trip to Kerala and back. Bangalore>Munnar>Tekkady>Kumarakom>Bangalore

It was a wonderful experience with my Civic, especially the AT is bliss on the 70 km ghat section en route to Munnar. Did not care about the mileage, just enjoyed the drive.

OT Which places did you visit?
Old 13th May 2011, 16:03   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
It's quite simple. 2 minute DIY. I'm thinking of buying an after-market filter.

Any clue why they do not provide it?
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 17:12   #1665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any clue why they do not provide it?
Installing this can make sure that dust particles are not thrown by the blower along with the air. However, I am not sure if it can take care of the foul smell, many of us witness while switching on the AC. Ofcourse, it will make sure that dust does not enter the blower.

Its manily the heater core (evaporator coil) that acts as a filter for most dust that vents suck from outside. Most tiny leaves, other residue that comes in from outside, is clogged on evaporator coil. If one smells fungi or anything else, or you have iceing problem (when evaporator coil is completely clogged), one will need to open complete dash and clean evaporator coil. Unfortunately, there is no other way to go about it.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th May 2011 at 17:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks