Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 13:22   #1696
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It was disheartening to hear, I could almost feel that it had happened to my car!

BTW, by running board you meant rocker panel I would guess. A 3-4 inch gash/dent would be easily repairable, with paintjob you should be able to get it fixed by 2-4k INR.
Tere muh mein ghee shakkar
I am not sure what its called, you may well be right. I know it by running board. My dad used this term when he would tinker with our old 1961 Fiat.

Thanks for understanding my pain.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 13:48   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
BTW, by running board you meant rocker panel I would guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I know it by running board. My dad used this term when he would tinker with our old 1961 Fiat.
Technically, running board (a narrow and flat accessory) is a part fitted onto rocker panel (lowest body panel of a car between wheel arches and below the doors) of a vehicle!

But in layman terms, running board and rocker panel are one and the same thing!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 14:04   #1698
Senior - BHPian

It really pains.

My Swift's running board was tinkered and painted for less than 2k. I would guess 2 to 3k for a civic at HASS, and less else where.
Old 18th May 2011, 14:22   #1699
dot
Senior - BHPian

Back to the grr grr noise. Tried shooting a video to capture the sound. Since the sound is pretty faint, it didnt get captured :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

Excuse my knowledge on ATs but if you can put the car on neutral while its on the move and all other things switched off, Music, AC blower etc, and the noise still persists, then it may be a wheel bearing noise.

If the noise is evident with blower switched off, no way it can be AC noise.
Thats what I tried sometime back. Blower and HU were off. Today the sound came as car started to move, thats when I pressed the accelerator. Sometimes it comes during stand still also.

Since the sound comes irrespective of blower being on or off, it is not coming from AC system at least.

Quote:
in btw, which tires did you get. sorry if I missed it.
Michelin Primacy 195s

Quote:

This makes me think again if its wheel bearing, that why I asked if ATs can be put to neutral on move, if its wheel bearing, the noise will still come.
Today as I removed my foot from accelerator, the sound died, even though the car was moving. The sound comes back as soon as accelerator is pressed.

Quote:

Get it checked at an independent garage if reply from ASC is not satisfying.
This is a very good idea. Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 15:35   #1700
BANNED

Partially unclipped mirrors. You must really push the mirror hard into place. I was gentle, so today it came off, fell and broke the mirror insert. This is fixed with some sort of double sided tape. Luckily I have the 12 month service scheduled for Monday.
Old 19th May 2011, 07:50   #1701
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Partially unclipped mirrors. You must really push the mirror hard into place. I was gentle, so today it came off, fell and broke the mirror insert. This is fixed with some sort of double sided tape. Luckily I have the 12 month service scheduled for Monday.
I hope you can get it fixed during the service. Yes, if the mirror has not been fixed properly, it wobbles around the clips which acts like a hinge. This occurs during driving and may fall off during a bump.
Old 19th May 2011, 09:44   #1702
Senior - BHPian

As soon as i read a few posts on the cabin air filter i pulled out my civic maintainence file and checked how much i paid for the same. It costed a whooping Rs.1307/- including taxes.

The effect :-
Lot's of fuel money spent on this filter.
No noticable difference after fitment ~ Is the air any purer? can we breathe more easier? Yeah i guess it's all just in the mind.
I did have the foul smell problem earlier but then it just vanished one day. I don't think installing this filter is going to solve that issue.

Update on the Motor care.
I checked the bill again and it was listed as 3M Auto care and charged at Rs. 380/- taxes would be extra.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 10:52   #1703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Partially unclipped mirrors. You must really push the mirror hard into place. I was gentle, so today it came off,
Yep twice I had the same issue of mirror popping out. The mirror was held only at the top 2 clips. I noticed it soon, so clipped them back.
I was seriously thinking of having these mirrors installed in my Civic, just for bling bling factor.., now after this popping out I'm in two minds .

Name:  ledbluemirrorb.gif
Views: 2114
Size:  58.4 KB

Civic mirrors are so easy to flick(theft), just pull it, Voila... mirrors just come out so easily.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:43   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yep twice I had the same issue of mirror popping out. The mirror was held only at the top 2 clips. I noticed it soon, so clipped them back.
I was seriously thinking of having these mirrors installed in my Civic, just for bling bling factor.., now after this popping out I'm in two minds .

Attachment 547607

Civic mirrors are so easy to flick(theft), just pull it, Voila... mirrors just come out so easily.
As mentioned earlier, just put a couple of drops of elfy/feviquick on bottom clips, fix the mirror and forget it.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 13:29   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Do you guys take the car for service base on calendar or based on mileage? My car has not even crossed 12k and I am in double mind if I should drop it for its first paid service which was due more than 2 months back.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:37   #1706
BHPian

I believe it has to be whatever comes first ( 6 months/ 5K Kms) for the warranty to be valid.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:11   #1707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Do you guys take the car for service base on calendar or based on mileage? My car has not even crossed 12k and I am in double mind if I should drop it for its first paid service which was due more than 2 months back.
I'm in the same dilemma. For the 3rd free service I gave it in time (well, a week's delay but that doesn't count) even though the odo read only 9543 km.

Now, it's already 3.5 weeks overdue but I've decided to give it in for service once every 5k kms. The odo currently reads 14831. A week more and it'll go in, which means a delay of a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
I believe it has to be whatever comes first ( 6 months/ 5K Kms) for the warranty to be valid.
I have to check the manual. I think it only makes the point about the 5k km interval. Actually it's 10k km but our driving conditions count as "severe" and for that, a 5k km service interval is recommended.

If they think everyone can do 20k kms a year, especially given the current prices of petrol, they ought to start smoking something else. A 12-15k km per year target makes more sense.

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th May 2011, 15:26   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I have to check the manual. I think it only makes the point about the 5k km interval. Actually it's 10k km but our driving conditions count as "severe" and for that, a 5k km service interval is recommended.
The relevant sections are here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1719665 It says 10K kms or 6 months whichever earlier for all but the last one which says 5K kms or 6 months. It is 6 months if you dont drive more than 5K kms in 6 months.
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 15:27   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Recommended service intervals are 3 months/5k kms making it 4 services a year. I have confirmed this with 4 different ASCs in delhi and replies were same. The civic at home has more than 20k mileage/year, which made visits to ASC a norm every 2-3months.

Now that the warranty has finished, and the car is running on synthetic oil, Ide-mitsui, it will visit ASC only 2 times a year, say every 10-12k kms.

Please note, Honda is very stringent when it comes to giving warranty, atleast till now. New sales figure may make them think about it but for now the most stupid thing one can/has to do is visit ASC every 3 months till the car is under warranty. Ofcourse, oil was changed every 10k/6 months.

I believe, 10k/1 year service is sufficient even if the car is running on mineral oil.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 19th May 2011 at 15:30.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:30   #1710
BANNED

I think the warranty was changed to 6 months/5000km about a year back, and most Service Centres stick with 3 months for obvious reasons. It is 3 months for the City!

Just wait for the Brio to be launched. You will then get 6 months across the board. They will not be able to handle the load otherwise.

Last edited by sgiitk : 19th May 2011 at 15:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks