Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2011, 13:11   #1741
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@sgtik

civic has hydraulic tappets, you can refer to my above posts.
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:11   #1742
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
RUN RUN TO HONDA!
And I did. Three folks in Honda technical team took a drive today afternoon and acknowledged that this is a noise. But there can be many culprits at this point, including very simple things that @Guderian pointed out during a private one-on-one.

So Tuesday or Wednesday Scorponok is going to Honda and getting what ever it is required to get the heart back in shape, in case anything is required at all that is. Plus the eagerly awaited 40k service.

Last edited by dot : 22nd May 2011 at 23:13.
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:35   #1743
BHPian

hi all,
Need some advice, I am looking at pre-owned 2007/2008 Civic V-AT which has done 50k on odo. The car is maintained well with detailed record. The tyre needs change. I wanted to check what should be my estimated cost for maintenance in the next 2-3 yrs. I usually do 10k a year .

I tried reading entire thread but couldnt find much automatic, hence asking this...
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:48   #1744
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
hi all,
Need some advice, I am looking at pre-owned 2007/2008 Civic V-AT which has done 50k on odo. The car is maintained well with detailed record. The tyre needs change. I wanted to check what should be my estimated cost for maintenance in the next 2-3 yrs. I usually do 10k a year .

I tried reading entire thread but couldnt find much automatic, hence asking this...
As per my own experience and others in the forum, an AT maintenance cost is no different compared to an MT. You probably need to change AT oil in the next service, in case it has not been changed at all. Another aspect of AT is faster wear of brake pads. Brake pads, specially the front ones may need change every 30k kilometers.

Hope this helps.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:50   #1745
BHPian

Thanks Dot, sent you an PM, pls reply if u have time
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:16   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
And I did. Three folks in Honda technical team took a drive today afternoon and acknowledged that this is a noise. But there can be many culprits at this point, including very simple things that @Guderian pointed out during a private one-on-one.

So Tuesday or Wednesday Scorponok is going to Honda and getting what ever it is required to get the heart back in shape, in case anything is required at all that is. Plus the eagerly awaited 40k service.

Did they mention the probable culprits ?

Do let us know.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:18   #1747
Senior - BHPian

So, finally, the engine mounting of civic has gone kaput at 47k kms. Damn, this is a quality constraint and when you know its going to fail every 50k kms, its like spending 9k extra every major service .

My cousin told me about the noise yesterday and first thing that came to my mind was mounting, checked it and I was right. I personally feel, Engine mount in civic should have been a factory recall.

Went to Ring Road Honda and they too confirmed that its engine mounting. Asked them why it went kaput so early and reply was "its rubber mount sir, jaa sakta hai". I mentioned that its a problem with every other civic and they denied. I opened Team Bhp application on my mobile and showed them 3-4 cases in last one month itself. The advisor was a bit stunned. Pressed for discounts but couldnt convince him. So, the damage of 8200 plus tax in estimate. Asked him the distribution and he said 7200 for part and 1000 labour plus tax.

Car was a bit dirty from outside and advisor asked if I want to get it washed. I said "itna mehanga part badal rahe ho, wash bhi nahi karoge gaadi bahar se" (you are replacing an expensive part, wont even wash the car). Advisor: sir washing charges are extra. Me: leave it. Advisor: ok, Me: actually, we have been spoilt by Mitsubishi, they prefer giving back clean car to the customer, no matter, if its a 1k part or 1 lac rupee part. Advisor: nothing like that sir, I will get the car cleaned from outside. Me: ok.

I personally believe that its always good to hand in a clean car to the customer, no matter what, it leaves a very good impression.

However, I must say that I was attended quickly and the staff was very courteous.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd May 2011 at 11:22.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:26   #1748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
So, finally, the engine mounting of civic has gone kaput at 47k kms. Damn, this is a quality constraint and when you know its going to fail every 50k kms, its like spending 9k extra every major service .

My cousin told me about the noise yesterday and first thing that came to my mind was mounting, checked it and I was right. I personally feel, Engine mount in civic should have been a factory recall.

Went to Ring Road Honda and they too confirmed that its engine mounting. Asked them why it went kaput so early and reply was "its rubber mount sir, jaa sakta hai". I mentioned that its a problem with every other civic and they denied. I opened Team Bhp application on my mobile and showed them 3-4 cases in last one month itself. The advisor was a bit stunned. Pressed for discounts but couldnt convince him. So, the damage of 8200 plus tax in estimate. Asked him the distribution and he said 7200 for part and 1000 labour plus tax.

Car was a bit dirty from outside and advisor asked if I want to get it washed. I said "itna mehanga part badal rahe ho, wash bhi nahi karoge gaadi bahar se" (you are replacing an expensive part, wont even wash the car). Advisor: sir washing charges are extra. Me: leave it. Advisor: ok, Me: actually, we have been spoilt by Mitsubishi, they prefer giving back clean car to the customer, no matter, if its a 1k part or 1 lac rupee part. Advisor: nothing like that sir, I will get the car cleaned from outside. Me: ok.

I personally believe that its always good to hand in a clean car to the customer, no matter what, it leaves a very good impression.

However, I must say that I was attended quickly and the staff was very courteous.
Sorry to hear about the mounting problem. Are you sure it is an issue with every Civic? Mine is the facelift 2009 one and had run 20K. I had just given the car for service this morning with Ace Honda. Should I ask them to check/tighten/replace the rubber mount?

My experience with Ace Honda has been satisfactory. Some months back, my car was there for a bumper replacement, and they did a complete washing/vacuuming for free, when I got delivery.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:36   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Sorry to hear about the mounting problem. Are you sure it is an issue with every Civic? Mine is the facelift 2009 one and had run 20K. I had just given the car for service this morning with Ace Honda. Should I ask them to check/tighten/replace the rubber mount?
Yes, I have seen atleast 3 out of 10 civics to have kaput engine mount in 30-50k kms. Bhpian Laluks, recently got his civic's engine mounting changed and added a nice detailed report here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2352049

Dont bother to go to ASC until to feel any vibration and grr grr noise while starting the car or when going over bumps. Tightening wont help. You should be able to check it youself after reading the reviews of above mentioned post link.

Quote:
My experience with Ace Honda has been satisfactory. Some months back, my car was there for a bumper replacement, and they did a complete washing/vacuuming for free, when I got delivery.

Most ASCs clean the car from outside in case of body work, but its nice of Ace Honda to clean it from inside too.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd May 2011 at 11:38.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:13   #1750
BANNED

Quote:
hi all,

I have owned ATs since 1997, so feel a bit qualified to comment. ATs need less maintenance that MTs (no clutch to wear out/replace). I agree with @dot. The only place an AT may need more attention is the brake pad wear. Since an AT has no engine braking the pads do tend to last a bit less. Depending on your style it may be anything from 10% to 35%.

Last edited by sgiitk : 23rd May 2011 at 15:15.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:51   #1751
BHPian

Thanks all, after 6 months, 39 Civics, many many weekends, numerous common you will find it dont give up attitude, and a wife who was ever understanding and inspiring me, we found our dream pre-worshiped civic.

Just checked the detailed service record, the owner is a paranoid gentleman in 50s who has forced the SA to change oil every 5k kilometers with Synthetic Oil!!! The honda team recognized the car instantly due to the love of the owner. The car completed 45k service. 2 tyres need a change, Brakes will last another 5000 kms.

Its a 2007 manufactured, 2008 Jan registered, V-AT with 47k on Odo serviced always 50 KMS before the required mileage. one accident where the door was repainted and front bumper and side view mirror was changed but no structural damaged as confirmed by the SA.

Closed the deal at 6.25 lakhs. Will post detailed write-up on the ownership thread. Now in two minds if to retain the Violet or change the color to Black (which I love).

Thanks Team-BHP you have been my silent advisor.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:51   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
.... Since an AT has no engine braking the pads do tend to last a bit less. Depending on your style it may be anything from 10% to 35%.
I think the wear of brakes happen primarily because of the prolonged usage of brakes in stopped position in D mode, for example while waiting in a short signal. Otherwise I dont see a case for increased usage of brakes in an AT compared to MT. In a Civic, engine braking can be achieved by using paddles.
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:11   #1753
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back with a new mounthing. Damage 7800 including 700 for labour. The car was ready at 3 but since I was a bit busy and no one else was there to go pick the car, I went to take it at 5 pm.

The car had a proper wash and interiors too were cleaned. It was gleaming and I had a wicked smile on my face as soon as I saw it.

I asked if the car can be dropped home as I drove to ASC, which is about half a km from home; but the guys who do pick up and drop were away to drop the car. When the advisor found out the same, he himself offered to drop the car as it was only half a km. The advisor drove civic back home with me in cedia and then I dropped him back to ASC.

It was very kind of Mr. Tarun, the advisor to do so and I must say, this is the first time I had such a pleasant experience with HONDA.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 23rd May 2011 at 18:13.
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:57   #1754
BHPian

85K Service soon

Quote:
hi all,

My AT is now four years old (2007 model), odo is at 86K.
(I will be completing my 85K service this week and will post details).
Maintainence expenses have so far been very minimum.
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:23   #1755
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all, after 6 months, 39 Civics, many many weekends, numerous common you will find it dont give up attitude, and a wife who was ever understanding and inspiring me, we found our dream pre-worshiped civic.
Congratulations on finding your perfect car. Sounds like it is truly "pre- worshipped". Look forward to the ownership experience.

39 Civics ??

I learned one interesting bit of information today at Deccan Honda. They have never opened any Civic engine ever, so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks