Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 14:04   #1771
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
I am not impressed with mandatory 3 months service cycles. Why does a petrol engine need that frequent service. I guess its 1 year for Altis, and many other petrol cars.
This is silly. The manual mentions only 6 months/10,000km. The dealers are taking the civic owners for a ride. I took my Civic (which is under warranty) in after 6 months, and not a murmur from the dealer. Also, oil change with Synth is once a year or 10,000km.

The City still carries the once in three months tag. Why, only God and Honda know? I doubt if even the former knows. I suspect it is part of a scam run by dealers with the assistance of Honda.

Or may be, Honda engines are made of cardboard!!
Old 26th May 2011, 22:50   #1772
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Oh dont tell me.
I am having such a scary week. Grr Grr noise never went off after a visit to Honda. But they did the 40k service. On my insistence they took out the belt and said all is well. After spending two days in the shop I took the car with the impression that these folks are more interested to take their turnover cut than solve issues. Final word was we cant do anything else, we need authorization. If engine has an issue, an engine job will cost 80k.

And I was thinking I bought an Honda for its engine.

Then went back to the independent garage. They pressed the lower mount. Sound seemed to go down. We (mdsaab and me) noted too much heaving of engine when gear was engaged, which is also typical when mounts go bad. So the center mount was replaced. Heaving went away, but sound remained.

Reply "We can do an engine job for 25k"

Finally we took off the belt and took a ride without power steering and AC.

No sound at all.

So not an engine issue.

Now the belt components are being relooked at.
Old 26th May 2011, 23:20   #1773
BHPian

@dot

what did the Honda do by removing the belt then ?
Are they blind or something ?

Get your belt tensioner checked and also check play in waterpump , also check the belt very carefully for any creep cracks or any kind of scaling or any tale tale signs of belt sliping

Lower mount which mount you are talking about exactly ? the one which behind the engine near the firewall or the one which is in front of the engine?

On that note
how was scorpo to drive without power steering ? any Malfunction lights came up?

Last edited by jatinpatel : 26th May 2011 at 23:23.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 07:00   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Finally we took off the belt and took a ride without power steering and AC.

No sound at all.

So not an engine issue.

Now the belt components are being relooked at.
That's a very encouraging sign dot. Just check by replacing the belt and the tensioner. And what did the dealer do? Did he ever removed the belt and checked it?
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 09:22   #1775
Senior - BHPian

@dot is your civic 2007 May ish?
I had my belt replaced under warranty - I have mentioned it in somewhere in this thread. They used a different belt in the production line and had acknowledged the same.

But my sound was not Grr.. Gr.. but Tick Tick mostly heard from 1500 to 2000rpm and then the engine noise covers it. HASS said all fine, but finally I got HASS to bring Honda Engineers to come down and attend to it. Took 5 visits and 10 days. I said I will not take out the car if you cannot solve the problem, and kept Honda also in the loop.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 14:23   #1776
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
@dot is your civic 2007 May ish?
I had my belt replaced under warranty - I have mentioned it in somewhere in this thread. They used a different belt in the production line and had acknowledged the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Get your belt tensioner checked and also check play in waterpump , also check the belt very carefully for any creep cracks or any kind of scaling or any tale tale signs of belt sliping
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Just check by replacing the belt and the tensioner. And what did the dealer do? Did he ever removed the belt and checked it?
It is a march 2007 car. The belt looks fine, as told by Honda and the independent guy. I also checked it for cracks and frays, none to observe.
At Honda they checked the pullies for noises and play. Said things were fine.
Now we removed the auto tensioner. Looks like there is a play in one of the parts. I am posting a pic of the part where the circled area has a play

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-belt-tensioner.jpg

Quote:
Lower mount which mount you are talking about exactly ? the one which behind the engine near the firewall or the one which is in front of the engine?
Here is a pic of the same.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-torque-strut-front-lower-mount.jpg

Quote:
how was scorpo to drive without power steering ? any Malfunction lights came up?
No malfunction light came up.

Thanks, all of you for the support. Please keep them coming as the issue has not been resolved yet. We have ordered a new tensioner, it will be installed tomorrow and then we will see.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:40   #1777
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Oh dont tell me.
Just joking. I see no other reason for the silly 3 months service intervals. They must not be trusting their own hardware. Or maybe, want to emulate the Veyron and Ferraris which have super short service intervals, some hope!
Old 27th May 2011, 14:54   #1778
Senior - BHPian

@DOT, that sound must really be troubling you. Like the patience and efforts you are putting into it.
Quite intrigued by 'engine job'. What exactly does it mean.

And in another piece of news: I might have to sell my Civi as I might be traveling outside India for a long term assignment, sigh!!!
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:28   #1779
Senior - BHPian

Someone rear ended me yesterday.
Unfortunately it turned out quite nasty.
Have to get the rear bumper and the boot lid replaced. Of which i will have to pay 50% for the bumper and 30% for the boot lid.
Have not received an estimate from Honda yet.
Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the approx costs for these items.
Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:37   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Have to get the rear bumper and the boot lid replaced. Of which i will have to pay 50% for the bumper and 30% for the boot lid.
Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the approx costs for these items.
Thanks
Was it due to yesterdays rains?
From spare parts survey posted elsewhere on the forum boot lid was 13.5K in 2010. It does not mention rear bumper as a accidental part!
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:47   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
mdsaab, Extremely sorry to have read this. And to think that I had seen Chicca just last Sunday at its alluring best, this full saddens me immensely.
Heartfelt sympathies.
But why do you have to replace the boot lid ? Can it be dedented and painted ? Or does it have a tear in the metal skin ?

Last edited by Guderian : 27th May 2011 at 15:49.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:50   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Boot lid - Rs12400 plus tax
Rear bumper - 5900 plus tax

hope this helps
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 15:54   #1783
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
that sound must really be troubling you. Like the patience and efforts you are putting into it.
Quite intrigued by 'engine job'. What exactly does it mean.
What is troubling me is the lack of proper diagnosis.

By engine job they meant, opening up of engine, reboring, crankshaft bearing and piston ring replacements etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
And in another piece of news: I might have to sell my Civi as I might be traveling outside India for a long term assignment, sigh!!!
Sad. How long is "long". Do you really want to part from the Civi

Quote:
It is heartbreaking for sure. But with proper care, Chicca will be back in shape like new. We are with you.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 16:16   #1784
Senior - BHPian

@alto99 & @laluks
thanks for this vital piece of information. This will help greatly.
Yes it was due to the rains. the tempo guy was a good 7 sec behind me. I came to a stop as did all traffic ahead of me. He swerved left and then back right again and BANG it happened. the chap driving the tempo said his brakes failed.

@guderian
what to do dost. here we were minding our own business. BANG and chicca's rear is no longer the same.i had asked the Service fellow about denting painting. and he said that some area of damage is quite bad and it is better to replace the whole thing. To be honest i don't mind as fixing the old lid will keep playing at the back of my mind whether all is well. So would also prefer a new lid if not too expensive. and as @alto99 and @laluks have kindly shed some light on the costs i think 30% of which should be reasonable enough. was talking to @dot on this issue and we both agree that here in Pune replace is the mantra. all the service folks want to replace it rather than repair. and since insurance will be paying most of it. they go all out to get it replaced.

@dot
I really appreciate you coming all out of your way, to extend your support at the police station. and for driving us back home. I would like to thank you once again. @dot a true friend indeed. Thanks for being there.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:20   #1785
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
But why do you have to replace the boot lid ? Can it be dedented and painted ?
If you ask me, it does not look like the boot lid needs replacement. A good body shop can reshape it back. It is much easier and quicker for A.S.S. to get a new boot lid and complete the job.

Edit: @mdsaab, just saw your post. I feel that the tempo lost control due to hydroplaning or oil slick. A colleague of mine said that about ten odd scooters fell in front of his car like dominos and of that three scooters hit his car. This happened last evening about the same time at the Sangamwadi bridge when it started to rain.

Last edited by dot : 27th May 2011 at 16:24.
dot is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks