Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 16:34   #1786
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

This accident also took me back to a time when we owned a Maruti Omni.
Now these vehicles have drum brakes. and after getting wet in the rain their functioning gets erratic. Somtimes they work and sometimes you feel you have no brakes. so you have to actually pump the brakes to get the water out of them so they work again.
I personally experienced this when driving the Omni and was left with no brakes. and had to use the gears to slow down and stop the car. VERY SCARY!

Edit : like your new signature

Last edited by mdsaab : 27th May 2011 at 16:36.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 16:49   #1787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Sad. How long is "long". Do you really want to part from the Civi
No, I don't want to part with it for sure. But then I'll be gone for atleast 15 months. So not sure what to do. Keep it or sell it.:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Someone rear ended me yesterday.
Unfortunately it turned out quite nasty.
Have to get the rear bumper and the boot lid replaced. Of which i will have to pay 50% for the bumper and 30% for the boot lid.
Have not received an estimate from Honda yet.
Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on the approx costs for these items.
Thanks
Very sorry to hear about your car md. I hope were unhurt. All the best in getting the car back to it former glory.

Quote:
If you ask me, it does not look like the boot lid needs replacement. A good body shop can reshape it back. It is much easier and quicker for A.S.S. to get a new boot lid and complete the job.
If it does not require replacement then just get it repaired outside of HASS.
Also factor in the costs of repainting and additional labor charges.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:06   #1788
Senior - BHPian

I know it's hard to tell just from pictures. but please suggest whether the bootlid looks repairable or is it better off replaced.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0270.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0271.jpg

The bootlid cannot close because of some metal being bent outwards from the body shell. The ASC was not happy about this and said "Yeh nahin hona chaiye tha"

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0276.jpg
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_0275.jpg
Damage extends almost till the fuel filler lid. there's a big round dent there.

Last edited by mdsaab : 27th May 2011 at 17:14.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:20   #1789
Team-BHP Support

Thankfully the brake lights escaped damage!

Don't bother with a repair job. The prices for a new bootlid & bumper seems to be reasonable.

Are the brakelights part of the bootlid? That is, when the bootlid is replaced, will you be getting new set of brakelights too?
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:22   #1790
Senior - BHPian

@mdsaab - It does not need like you need a boot lid replacement but I am worried about the damage to the body shell. But even that seems it can be easily repaired and painted.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:23   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know it's hard to tell just from pictures. but please suggest whether the bootlid looks repairable or is it better off replaced.
The bootlid cannot close because of some metal being bent outwards from the body shell. The ASC was not happy about this and said "Yeh nahin hona chaiye tha"
Hi mdsaab, Got it. The ASC, or HASS guys as you 'Honda chaps' call them, must be insisting on a change as the curve line of the lid is impacted. Normally however good a tinkerer is - a curve line is always a problem and getting it right is always a major concern. Hence the easy way out is to have it replaced. Plus attendant issue of colour matching etc.

Would suggest therefore - change the boot lid and put a lid on the whole episode !

Though the bumper can be pushed back into shape after 'heat' treatment. Colour matching there may not be much if an issue perhaps.

Last edited by Guderian : 27th May 2011 at 17:26.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 22:13   #1792
BHPian

@dot

my 07 Silver Rocket is having same kinda noise that you are having, Very Very faint can be only heard in night when surroundings are dead silent and AC switched off.

thing i noticed is if I turn off the Headlight and Fogs and all the electrical accessories the noise reduces to almost zero.
Could be alternator bearing ?
Or Autotensioner?

How much did the autotensioner costed you?

Please do report back about your problems solution.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:01   #1793
BHPian

Guys,
I have a question. I am currently on a trip to ooty and while tackling the 36 hair pin bends, my AT behaved wonderfully but at the last few bends had to drive hard and after a point could smell petrol from the A/c vents. Something did not seem right. But after some cooling down after reaching the hotel went for a drive and everything seems fine.
Is it normal for the petrol fumes to enter the cabin with hard driving?
Do I have something to worry about and anything specific to check?
Thanks in advance.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:41   #1794
Senior - BHPian

@smartcat from the discussion i had with the SA he said that the lights would cost extra and are not included with the bootlid. the 2 on the left have some scratches. although they light up fine. I would like to get it replaced so that i can sleep at night.

@hiren.mistry
I have a real issue when it comes to my car, and would not be able to sleep well if it is not replaced. so this time i am going ahead with a full replacement of everything and no repairs at all. Maybe i have OCCD(Obsessive compulsive car disorder) Hey i smiled so i guess life is moving along now.

@Guderian
Agree with you in toto. gonna put on a new lid and a lid on this whole scene.

@patron
Funny that you type this. While returning from Goa last. the fool cop told us our usual sawantwadi route was closed and so we should go on the new road on the left. thinking that it will join somewhere further we continued. We reached some Phonda ghat (hope i spelt it right) which continued for like approx 70kms. had the AC on the whole trip. and all of a sudden we could smell petrol in the cabin. so after a minute or two i switched off the AC. All this while keeping a check on my RVM to see for any petrol leakage. which would have been suicide considering this ghat was like through a jungle with no civilization for miles. Anyways after switching off the AC we could still smell the petrol, with the windows rolled down. So i had to find a decent place to stop and check out the matter. Took a good look around and under the car as well as open the petrol cap and checked to see. All was well. so just continued driving with the windows down. and eventually the smell vanished. was really weird. and i could not figure it out. so just left it as a one off incident. but now you mention the exact same thing. what in the world could it be?
Old 28th May 2011, 08:31   #1795
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for a rear tail lamp replacement it would be approx 4800, and the one on the lid a little lesser.

Hope you can still reuse the logos, else they'll all cost some 100's each.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:19   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@hiren.mistry
I have a real issue when it comes to my car, and would not be able to sleep well if it is not replaced. so this time i am going ahead with a full replacement of everything and no repairs at all. Maybe i have OCCD(Obsessive compulsive car disorder) Hey i smiled so i guess life is moving along now.
You are not alone my friend! You're right its best to get it replaced lock stock and barrel rather than lose sleep over some panels that've not been aligned and color matched properly. More power to you.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 28th May 2011 at 12:24.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:57   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am having such a scary week. Grr Grr noise never went off after a visit to Honda. But they did the 40k service. On my insistence they took out the belt and said all is well.
Trouble shooting is the best way for mechanics, both in independent and ASCs to get hold of the problem, but every time the owner see them trouble shooting, the heart stops beating.

Quote:
Final word was we cant do anything else, we need authorization. If engine has an issue, an engine job will cost 80k.
Crap, it may cost more or it may cost very less, but they cannot just give a quote without opening the engine. I saw the spilt you gave in your next post but still most of those things will be fine on an engine just 35k run.

Quote:
Then went back to the independent garage. They pressed the lower mount. Sound seemed to go down. We (mdsaab and me) noted too much heaving of engine when gear was engaged, which is also typical when mounts go bad. So the center mount was replaced. Heaving went away, but sound remained.
Reply "We can do an engine job for 25k"
Again crap. One needs to identify the problem and then quote figures. Independent garage are anyways not bound by legal obligation and Honda too will have it in its small prints that the estimate can go up, after they open the engine. I am not able to believe either of the two, they cant figure out the problem and still giving estimates, wow. It just like "HAWA ME TEER CHALANA"

Search Team Bhp, ask friends and family for a better independent garage.

Quote:
Finally we took off the belt and took a ride without power steering and AC.
You might wana change the belt and see. but if the sound went off, then its definitely the belt or the pullies on which the belt rests. So, good that these parts are being looked upon

@md saab, sorry to hear about the accident. I'd recommend not changing the rear lights until they are broken. Rest, you will need to pay only 7k from your pocket for boot lid and bumper. All other repairs and paint work damages will be born by the insurance company.

This is ASCs every day job, shouldnt be an issue .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 28th May 2011 at 13:58.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 14:30   #1798
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
How much did the autotensioner costed you?

Please do report back about your problems solution.
The autotensioner cost was around 10k. It has been fixed and the noise has gone down almost completely.

However I know that it is still there, around 10% of its previous volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
You might wana change the belt and see. but if the sound went off, then its definitely the belt or the pullies on which the belt rests. So, good that these parts are being looked upon
Since we know it is definitely not an engine or tranny issue, will give myself and Scorponok some rest on this subject.

As @laluks mentioned, the 07 Civics may have a faulty belt. So maybe in a few months time I will look into the belt again. And in the meantime try to locate a better independent garage around Pune Mumbai area.

@Laluks, @Jatin, @Gaurav, @shuvc @arvi86 and of course @mdsaab, thanks a lot for the all the help and support during this period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

Could be alternator bearing ?
Or Autotensioner?
Thanks to Scorponok's noises, I managed to check out almost every video that was ever posted on Youtube on various Honda engine noises.

You might want to check some of them out to identify your Silver Rocket's noise. I feel that an alternator noise is more metallic, wheezing kind. Not grr grr or gurgling kind. Yes, the belt noise does go down when you reduce the load, like switch off lights or AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
every time the owner see them trouble shooting, the heart stops beating.
That is so true.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 14:54   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has been fixed and the noise has gone down almost completely.
However I know that it is still there, around 10% of its previous volume.
Hi dot, Glad to have read this post and note that the noise has almost vamoosed.
As discussed couple of days ago I still feel that the noise has something to do with the belt and/or the idler(pulley) bearings.

Have fun with Scorp now !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 19:00   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Are there any good independent workskops in Bangalore who are capable of handling Civic suspension works? I am looking to change the OEM shocks with Koni FSDs next week. Rear shocks are supposed to be plug-n-play. However the front dampers will need some changes.

Most Viewed