Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 08:46   #1831
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I am back on TBHP after many days and am sorry to report the inevitable has happened! The ghost of busted engine mounts seems to have peeped into my car! Last night while returning from Gurgaon, it was absolutely normal. This morning, I cranked the Shark and it shivered like nothing else at idle. The vibrations are penetrating into the cabin as well and it is driving me nuts.

However, I checked Laluks guide of 'how to check if your engine mounts are done!' and the mounts still have a few mm of gap left! So, I am not sure what else might cause the vibrations. Any ideas?

@ Gaurav_chopra: Buddy, if you don't mind helping, can you please confirm if these engine mounts can be procured through after market shops in Karol Bagh and so on!

Things need to be done on my car at this moment -

- Brake pads skimming
- Engine mounts
- Tyre rotation
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:13   #1832
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
The ghost of busted engine mounts seems to have peeped into my car!
Sorry to hear this. Looks like some kind of curse has fallen to the regulars of this thread.

Along with shivering during idle, does the Shark's engine make any kind of sound? I actually hope it is diagnosed properly, and that points to worn out mounts so you can get on with it, as opposed to wrong diagnosis and running from pillar to post to get remedy.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:19   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- Brake pads skimming
- Engine mounts
- Tyre rotation
This is not good. So many Civic's are now being plagued with this dreaded engine mount issue. Best take it to Honda and get it confirmed as engine mount related vibrations before you procure it from the market.

And I hope you meant dsc skimming and not brake pad skimming.
All the best and hope your Shark is back to full fitness soon.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:48   #1834
Senior - BHPian

@ACE do one more test. Keep your hand to your heart while doing this - Its painful. Jump a hump and listen to a clunk noise from the engine bay. Though the mount looks like having some gap, this clunk will confirm that the rubber part is done with and need a mount replacement.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:07   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
@ACE do one more test. Keep your hand to your heart while doing this - Its painful. Jump a hump and listen to a clunk noise from the engine bay. Though the mount looks like having some gap, this clunk will confirm that the rubber part is done with and need a mount replacement.
Even this may not be a 100% guarantee of a mount gone kaput.

I hear the metallic clunk from the front right wheel area over *some* (not all) sharp bumps and potholes. There is some vibration when the engine is cranked but not significantly different from how it was when the car was new (or so I think/feel/imagine). The SA confirmed during the recent 4th (15k kms) service that the engine mount is fine, although he said that it's not uncommon to see Civics needing the mount replaced at just 20k kms in Hyderabad :(.

Best is to head to HASS right away and get it checked.

Regards,
spadix
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:18   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This morning, I cranked the Shark and it shivered like nothing else at idle. The vibrations are penetrating into the cabin as well and it is driving me nuts.
Its most probably a mount.

Quote:
can you please confirm if these engine mounts can be procured through after market shops in Karol Bagh and so on!
I am pretty sure, it can be procured from karol bagh, and shouldnt cost over a grand or a 2 max. I'd say visit an independent garage or HASS near your place to find out which mount it is, engine, gearbox, or the other two.. I think the way you are describing the shudder it is engine mount. I will get the number of Karol Bagh shop from my cousin today, sorry, I missed it last time. In the mean time, you can also call the following spart mart link to enquire about the price of the mounting. I sourced cedia's brake pads from them.

Car Parts - Spare Parts Car Spare Parts Supplier Auto parts Exporters India

Quote:
- Brake pads skimming
- Engine mounts
- Tyre rotation
All this shouldnt cost over 3k max from aftermarket.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 2nd June 2011 at 15:19.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:19   #1837
Senior - BHPian

The metallic clunk in this case is not a small one, your entire engine feels like it had just moved up and down, you'll feel it.

That's why I said keep a hand on your heart. It's a painful feeling.
Old 3rd June 2011, 00:25   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Sorry to hear this. Looks like some kind of curse has fallen to the regulars of this thread.
You said it ! I logged in after a few days and the first thread I see is Chicca rear ended. Shucks .. hope the car is back on the road soon.

In fact my car also seems to have suddenly developed , what seems to be tyre noise. I rotated the tyres 2 weeks back (rear & front swapped on each side). And since then there's this noise which keeps pace with the tyre revs. Sounds like a milder version of those truck tyres that have patch repairs !! Will do another round of swapping soon.

The 205/60 Yoko AVS dbV550's have run 15K kms.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:08   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Sounds like a milder version of those truck tyres that have patch repairs !! Will do another round of swapping soon.
Are you talking about the "tic-tic-tic-tic" noise? My 800 had that, and BQ also has developed it a few months back. I'm not too worried about it as the tyres look good upon a casual inspection.

It looks like ShuvCivic and BQ are munching up kms in tandem .

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th June 2011, 11:22   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Are you talking about the "tic-tic-tic-tic" noise
Nope not that sound. It's a typical grumbling tyre noise. Drone. I'm more or less certain it is tyre noise .. used to it with 60K kms of Eagle F1s on the other car

But if it is, I'm not impressed, since these are Yoko DB series tyres. 15K is too low to develop noise.
Old 4th June 2011, 12:08   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope not that sound. It's a typical grumbling tyre noise. Drone. I'm more or less certain it is tyre noise .. used to it with 60K kms of Eagle F1s on the other car
Ah, that. It can't be worse than the noisy stock Eagle NCT5s. Especially on road surfaces that are even slightly rough.

It gets mentally tiring after a while on long drives and of course that's when iVTEC and sometimes the ICE come to the rescue.

Regards,
spadix
Old 5th June 2011, 16:56   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the indications guys. It is confirmed by 'hump test' and Honda A.S.S. that the RHS engine mount is busted!

Cost if replaced through Honda - INR 9000

@ Gaurav: Spare Mart didn't pick my phone, dude. Will ask them how much it is going to cost at their place!

P.S. PM me your phone number too!
Old 5th June 2011, 17:20   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355
Thanks for the indications guys. It is confirmed by 'hump test' and Honda A.S.S. that the RHS engine mount is busted!

Cost if replaced through Honda - INR 9000

@ Gaurav: Spare Mart didn't pick my phone, dude. Will ask them how much it is going to cost at their place!

P.S. PM me your phone number too!
God really whats happening with the regulars. Car god please protect us now on.
Will cost much less if done outside Honda.
Good luck with the replacement.
Old 5th June 2011, 20:02   #1844
BHPian

Update A sad one though.

Went with an intention for a nice drive in Rainy bombay weather, drove for 2kms saw little water logging on the road but was not much since a Merc C vaded through it easily so drove through it and mid way in it the Engine started coughing little so revved it hard with brakes engaged a little to control the speed was a scary incident since if it would had stopped then catastrophic situation would had arised.
So after working my way out tried the horn it honked once and then DEAD. Great that was the first drive mood killer.
But still continued for the drive ripped her and then she was ALL normal again.
But then heart brake came when over some rough patch of road witnessed the jumping engine kind of feeling and first though came to mind is of failed mount so parked the car to side and switched off and restarted and all the symptoms of failed mount were true opend the bonnet to check the mount and Now there was hardly any gap left in the mounts.
Hence Proved Engine Mounts Is GONE!
8k ka burning fiery sensation in the pockets.

Its soo true,
When its not your day It is not your day and you cant a single thing to change it.
Old 5th June 2011, 20:04   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But if it is, I'm not impressed, since these are Yoko DB series tyres. 15K is too low to develop noise.
AVS dbs are unidirectional tyres. Trust your tyre rotation was inline with that i.e. front to rear and rear to front on either side. In case a normal tire rotation has been done viz front right to rear left and so on and so forth then that would have two or three(depending on 4 tyre or 5 tyre rotation respectively) of the tires rotating in the direction that they are not meant to rotate in and that could be the reason for the noise.

Most Viewed