Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 16:26   #1876
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I'm sure you know this but there'll be slight difference in odo/speed numbers courtesy of the larger tyre circumference now. Do factor that into your mileage calculations, for instance. Here's an online calculator that could help.

Regards,
spadix
Yes, I am quite aware of it. I also personally checked the tire well clearances lock to lock. The steering also does become more 'weighted', so I am very careful to ensure that there is always slight movement when turning to avoid putting more strain on the power steering. The car also feels a lot more 'planted' at all speeds.

The positives as listed still easily cancel out the negatives for me.
Old 7th June 2011, 19:40   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
How many of you fill premium fuel for your Civic car? I have always been filling the regular (lowest grade) variety available in pumps. Will it have an impact on engine or performance ? I think there is a notice inside the fuel lid which says something about the quality of fuel to be filled. Is it 90 RON? Don't exactly remember what it was.
I have always been filling regular fuel at BP and have never tried premium even once. Given the rate of increase in fuel prices, filling up regular fuel by itself is a luxury now.

OT: The best part is that my Esteem has been on BP Speed 93 and 97 for sometime while for the Civic its been regular fuel from day one.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:08   #1878
dot
Senior - BHPian

Looks like most of us use regular petrol. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

the cost of AT oil is way hight i did mine from linkway honda for 800srs with labour included.
No clue friend, why it is higher. Do let us know if you have any theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
what did they exactly do in fuel system cleaning ?
As I have described in my previous posts, they changed the fuel strainer plus some O rings, cleaned TB and fuel injectors.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:39   #1879
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have always been filling regular fuel at BP and have never tried premium even once.
I talked to the GM Sales of teh local dealership - he advised against any additives or premium. Premium after BS3 is a con. BS3/4 (and 5) specifies 91RON as minimum. In the BS3 days I used to get Premium when I was in a BS2 city.

Premium should be 95RON under these specs. So we are not actually getting premium. 91 or 93RON is the same given manufacturing tolerances. So all that you are getting are additives. If you are that keen add a dose on System G every three or four tankfuls.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:47   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Outside India, the fuelstrainer replacement frequency is much more than 40K. I too did a replacement at 40K, but did not see any mucky scenarios (petrol mostly from Blr, and some trusted pumps in the south). I've seen some posts at 8th Civic forum guys have gone all the way till a lakh km or so without changing. I am planning to extend the second replacement due at 80K to 100K to see what happens, going by my experience on the same.

But @dot - you have seen some mucky scenes on removal of the strainer. Can you post those pictures to see how bad our fuel supplies are?
Old 8th June 2011, 11:02   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Oh, no. Not you also. Whats going on these days here?

This just reinforces the belief that Honda should recall all Civics and replace the mounts.
My civic's engine mount is gone. In fact the rubber part has cracked. During the last service the SA had shown me the cracks but said, it would go on for a few kms more. The car goes for service next week. Engine mount, brake pads and discs; I'll be looking at a huge service bill.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-engine-mount.jpg

Last edited by civic-sense : 8th June 2011 at 11:11.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:05   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My civic's engine mount is gone. In fact the rubber part has cracked. During the last service the SA had shown me the cracks but said, it would go on for a few kms more. The car goes for service next week. Engine mount, brake pads and discs; I'll be looking at a huge service bill.

Attachment 556808
Hi Are you planning to get the break pads from honda only or nissin pads from outside?
Also what is your odo reading just want to know the disk life.
In my 40K service I was advised to change the break pads in 45K service (only front) I asked the service advisor and he told me that nissin pads are available outside and are much cheaper but quality is different.
Can any one comment on this who is actually using nissin pads from outside.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:08   #1883
BHPian

Quote:
I have always used normal fuel from various pumps including highways and Delhi and Chandigarh, till now using mineral oil and would be using the same.
No issue at all in my car it is perfect smooth.
Honda does not say anything for premium fuel their cars are perfectly fine with normal fuels (don't know about CRV because it is CBU).
lalitk25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 12:09   #1884
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
But @dot - you have seen some mucky scenes on removal of the strainer. Can you post those pictures to see how bad our fuel supplies are?
Ok, I was reserving this picture for Scorponok's story, but since you asked, will post it. Just check the level of dirt on the membrane. Was the strainer in your car this dirty?

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-23052011575.jpg
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 12:14   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have always been filling regular fuel at BP and have never tried premium even once. Given the rate of increase in fuel prices, filling up regular fuel by itself is a luxury now.
This is indeed true maintaining a civic or higher segment car is itself a luxury at least in the eyes of people who don't have these cars, because they will keep reminding you the fuel increase and boasting about the diesel price to be stagnant .

OT:
Now it is running 7rs a km in local (only fuel cost) assuming it is giving 9.5 kmpl and delhi fuel price lets assume 66. My company allowance is 7rs per km so If i go somewhere for company work I am actually loosing :( we are discussing to increase this allowance in our company.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:43   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I have gone for the Yoko dbs 205/65/15 since a couple of months and must say that I am very impressed with them. Loads more grip, very silent and great cushioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Do not discount the AVSdB so quickly.
still as good as they were on day 1 in terms of grip, low noise and looks. .
I agree. I have the same tyres, but 205/60/R15 in my CIVIC, they are indeed very good interms of all the points you have mentioned.
But somehow I found the braking to be quite less in rain, in dry it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I give instructions verbally. The SA jots it down. Then punches it into the comp in front of me and gives me an exact estimate ! .
This what even I follow, I instruct them verbally and avoid the eye-candy offers
No Nitrogen, No Synthetic oil, No Under body coat/wax/Polish etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Always regular fuel for my car.
Quote:
+1 I too use regual petrol, mostly Shell Regular.
But once every 15+ odd tankfulls I use the premium fuel, Just a to have a personal satisfaction, thinking that the additives clean the Fuel injectors & sledge busters to a small extent
Old 8th June 2011, 13:00   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, I was reserving this picture for Scorponok's story, but since you asked, will post it. Just check the level of dirt on the membrane. Was the strainer in your car this dirty?

Attachment 556893
So this is the piece of equipment for which one has to shell out around 3.3k ? Exorbitantly priced, I would say. Not to comment on the labour for R&R of the same.

Last edited by rr_zen : 8th June 2011 at 13:02.
Old 8th June 2011, 13:08   #1888
Senior - BHPian

@dot - No, not this much. It looked dull, that was about it.
Old 8th June 2011, 13:22   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalitk25 View Post
Hi Are you planning to get the break pads from honda only or nissin pads from outside?
Also what is your odo reading just want to know the disk life.
In my 40K service I was advised to change the break pads in 45K service (only front) I asked the service advisor and he told me that nissin pads are available outside and are much cheaper but quality is different.
Can any one comment on this who is actually using nissin pads from outside.
Odo just past 50K, although I had my 50K service 6 months ago at about 48K. Pads were changed once at 25K by the previous owner. Discs are the first time. Still haven't made up my mind on whether to replace it or get it faced. Pads are anyway going out. I would stick with Honda pads, as I don't want to take even take 1% risk when it comes to safety.

Questions:
When you say, quality is different, does it mean that it is low?
How much does the disc and pad cost?
Old 8th June 2011, 14:34   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Questions:
When you say, quality is different, does it mean that it is low?
How much does the disc and pad cost?
That means of low quality the adviser told me that they are very hard pads and not good for the discs, I think someone on the forum mentioned that the aftermarket nissin pads are around 13-1500 a set and original honda set is around 4500 (front)
I have to replace mine at 45K for the first time so I am also looking for an opinion from someone who has actually used it (99% i will go with pads from Honda only as I have no issue in that till now)

Most Viewed