Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 14:43   #1906
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Now my turn to say that something strange is going on. This time Mumbai prices are higher than Pune. I bought the right wiper blade for 430 something, two weeks back during the 40k service. They didnt have the left blade in stock. Together they would cost about 850 odd. No labour
+1, I changed the wiper at HASS and they charged me some 400 odd for that too. Perhaps some parts are shared between the Jazz/ City?
Also, its been some time since I serviced a car so I was a bit surprised when they returned the replaced part to me. Is this normal across all *** now?
Old 9th June 2011, 15:22   #1907
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Also, its been some time since I serviced a car so I was a bit surprised when they returned the replaced part to me. Is this normal across all A$$ now?
Many organisations want the old parts in order to reimburse costs. I have seen this in Hyundai for sure.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:43   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was a bit surprised when they returned the replaced part to me. Is this normal across all *** now?
Maruti has always returned old parts wherein I have bought the replacement. They naturally retain parts that are changed under warranty.
Old 9th June 2011, 16:20   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, its been some time since I serviced a car so I was a bit surprised when they returned the replaced part to me. Is this normal across all *** now?
In my experience, Bajaj and Maruti (like ShuvC pointed out) have returned parts that were replaced.

The Civic's manual points this out as well, except when parts are replaced under warranty.

Regards,
spadix
Old 9th June 2011, 21:32   #1910
BHPian

@all

STUPID ME

after reading all your posts about the price of wiper rubber I just opened the File of my Silver Rocket to check the invoice and i paid 870rs for both left and right rubbers.

Sorry for the mistake.
Exams going on so kinda worked up pardon me.

And One question to all

My silver rocket being an 07 vehicle it did not come with A/C filter is it recommended to install it post AC cleaning/ Service?

Last edited by jatinpatel : 9th June 2011 at 21:33.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 23:51   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@all

STUPID ME

after reading all your posts about the price of wiper rubber I just opened the File of my Silver Rocket to check the invoice and i paid 870rs for both left and right rubbers.

Sorry for the mistake.
Exams going on so kinda worked up pardon me.

And One question to all

My silver rocket being an 07 vehicle it did not come with A/C filter is it recommended to install it post AC cleaning/ Service?
alrighty so that clears it. and in short means that it's better to stick with the Honda OE wipers. Cause the Bosch ones are just outrageously priced.

I did get the AC filter put in after the AC cleaning. I don't think it makes a real noticeable difference, but somewhere in the back of your head, you feel good that you got the AC filter fitted.
Maybe it's just me
Old 10th June 2011, 00:46   #1912
BHPian

@mdsaab

technical reason for putting the filter can be to prevent loads dust entering the blower and AC ducts.
Thus avoiding frequent AC cleaning.
But this is provided we clean the filter regularly and dont treat it as
"INSTALL AND FORGET IT"
Old 10th June 2011, 10:21   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I agree. I have the same tyres, but 205/60/R15 in my CIVIC, they are indeed very good interms of all the points you have mentioned.
But somehow I found the braking to be quite less in rain, in dry it's good.
Somehow I am not yet finding this, even though now I have been through some rainy days. The thing is I am extra careful in the rains anyway.

But they are such a huge improvement over the OEM bridgestones, that I feel I should have done this 2 years earlier.
Old 10th June 2011, 13:02   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@mdsaab

technical reason for putting the filter can be to prevent loads dust entering the blower and AC ducts.
Thus avoiding frequent AC cleaning.
But this is provided we clean the filter regularly and dont treat it as
"INSTALL AND FORGET IT"
Absolutely. agree with you completely. Now where was that step by step instruction? am gonna head back a couple of pages to read it again.
Old 10th June 2011, 14:59   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I don't find much of a difference in FE with shell petrol, it's just a marginal. .say around 0.5kmpl when compared with other PSU - UNADULTRATED petrol.
Y Shell ?
Quality + Quantity + peace of mind.

It's 71.95Rs/L here in Bangalore, hardly 80 Paise more than PSU bunks.
When the difference is more than 4Rs, I switch over to Govt bunks
So I decided to try this out on BQ and tanked her up yesterday with Shell regular.

It costs 75.95 to the litre here, whereas govt. companies' petrol is the 70.68 to 70.71 range. That's a difference of more than 5 INR to the litre. Now let's see how the FE stacks up given the way I normally drive. If it's a difference of more than 0.5 kmpl I'll give it a couple more tries.

@dot: Congratulations on getting the gurgling/burbling noise issue fixed!

I've been hearing a similar noise on BQ (which is an M/T Civic) from day 1.

The one difference between Scorp's and BQ's symptoms is that I hear it when the engine is idling as well *but* only if the AC is on *and* the compressor kicks in. In other words, with the engine idling with no other load on it, I haven't heard the noise at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you could hear it even under these conditions. This I chalked down to something with the compressor.

Every other symptom is the same, more or less. I don't think I've ever heard it when the AC is off, but I hardly ever drive much with the AC off. So I should try that (AC off, drive at 1st gear speeds with low revs).

With AC off and engine idling, I make out a similar but different sound when I turn the steering wheel (even gently). Once the wheel is turned however, the noise dies out. The sound is different in the sense it isn't that rhythmic/pulsating kind. And it corresponds to the slight increase in revs. So I've chalked this down to the hydraulic power steering pump kicking in.

When I reported the sound to HASS (1st service) they said it's normal and nothing to worry about.

I'll get the auto-tensioner checked some day, just in case.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 10:03   #1916
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I hear it when the engine is idling as well *but* only if the AC is on *and* the compressor kicks in. In other words, with the engine idling with no other load on it, I haven't heard the noise at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you could hear it even under these conditions. This I chalked down to something with the compressor.

Every other symptom is the same, more or less. I don't think I've ever heard it when the AC is off, but I hardly ever drive much with the AC off. So I should try that (AC off, drive at 1st gear speeds with low revs).

With AC off and engine idling, I make out a similar but different sound when I turn the steering wheel (even gently). Once the wheel is turned however, the noise dies out. The sound is different in the sense it isn't that rhythmic/pulsating kind. And it corresponds to the slight increase in revs. So I've chalked this down to the hydraulic power steering pump kicking in.

When I reported the sound to HASS (1st service) they said it's normal and nothing to worry about.

I'll get the auto-tensioner checked some day, just in case.
Thanks for the wishes.

Yes, these type of sounds comes in the exact way you have described it.

There is no sound if engine is left idle and without load like no AC. But it comes when AC compressor kicks in, like a clack, grr, grr, grr, then sound dies down. It also comes when you turn the wheel to extremes but as you said it has a slightly different note.

This same sound had gotten suddenly much louder in Scorpo. Not only it was coming during idling with load but it was coming as soon as you change the gear from neutral to "Reverse" or "Drive" and when you press accelerator from stand still to about 1500 RPM. At higher RPMs the sound is not discernable. After changing the auto tensioner it has almost gone down completely, but not eliminated.

As HASS folks would say, it is pretty normal.

I would also suggest that if the sound is not loud, it is probably normal. I have extensively read through various Civic and Honda forums recently and have come to the conclusion that some vibration from the auto tensioner is probably normal.

Last edited by dot : 13th June 2011 at 10:14.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:56   #1917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I decided to try this out on BQ and tanked her up yesterday with Shell regular.

It costs 75.95 to the litre here, whereas govt. companies' petrol is the 70.68 to 70.71 range. That's a difference of more than 5 INR to the litre. Now let's see how the FE stacks up given the way I normally drive. If it's a difference of more than 0.5 kmpl I'll give it a couple more tries.
Your tryst with Shell fuel should make for an interesting read. My Cedia relishes Shell so much that it gulps instead of sipping and the average drops from 11+ in the city, 100% on AC to slightly over 9.

Quote:
The one difference between Scorp's and BQ's symptoms is that I hear it when the engine is idling as well *but* only if the AC is on *and* the compressor kicks in. In other words, with the engine idling with no other load on it, I haven't heard the noise at all. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you could hear it even under these conditions. This I chalked down to something with the compressor.

This should be the sound of the AC compressor's clutch engaging. This can be heard in almost all vehicles when the compressor turns on. More prominent in cars with otherwise smooth and silent engines such as the Civic. Auto tensioner sound would be there all the time that the engine is running and will vary in pitch/frequency with variations in load.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 17:59   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj

Your tryst with Shell fuel should make for an interesting read. My Cedia relishes Shell so much that it gulps instead of sipping and the average drops from 11+ in the city, 100% on AC to slightly over 9.
Very interesting observation indeed. Just tanked up on shell and will comment on fuel efficiency. So far the consumption seems slightly more than usual. But let me drive around a bit more to see if it evens out.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:21   #1919
BHPian

Had used Shell Normal petrol on many instances in my 800 and the FE used to go up from 10.8 in city with AC to 12-13kmpl under same conditions.

Tried the same with Civic but FE dropped by 1kmpl.
Old 14th June 2011, 09:44   #1920
BANNED

Sometimes I wonder whether the Fuel Efficiency gain are primarily due to accurate measurement. I remember tanking up my Accent at Reliance and was expecting about 30l and it was full at 28.3 or so. So obviously something odd.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks