Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 16:42   #2071
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
The D day is tomorrow, have taken a day off and lots of pictures from 8thCivic website for this.

Wish me (and my car) luck.
Best of the lady luck, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Over there, the chrome exhaust finisher is 90 USD for a *single* piece. Over here, it's roughly the same for a pair.
Still after the long lost treasure? Dont tell me that Honda has still not found a spare tip for you.

Quote:
If you look at Front brake parts, the pricing is much cheaper than what Honda India has priced.
I always found that US parts are cheaper than the Indian counterparts.
Old 11th July 2011, 17:11   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Best of the lady luck, my friend.

I always found that US parts are cheaper than the Indian counterparts.
Thanks dot for giving a helpful ear.
Regarding the parts pricing, it could be so that Honda India got greedy and thats seen in their pricing; be it car or parts.
Old 12th July 2011, 02:19   #2073
Senior - BHPian

@Hiren, sorry was keeping busy so couldnt reply to this thread.

Exactly same problem occoured in my cousin's lancer last year. However, it was after 11 long years that something like this happened. I agree its not the easiest of problems to repair. ASC said that they will replace the entire firewall and will cost over 20k.. Forget it I said. Local denter said, he needs to open the dash and will rip the entire rust area and weld a new metal sheet there, estimate 5k. Our friendly mechanic, Raju uninstalled throttle body, fuel filter, and complete intake and got access to firewall and applied primer to complete firewall. And the problem was sorted, damage 1.5k. No water got in this year, so the car is doing fine..

However, in case of civic getting access to firewall from hood is very difficult and I believe the only way left is to take out entire dash and fix the problem.

Quote:
Yes, it is atrocious and you know what - I had got a rust treatment done last August. So despite all this I have this problem.
Did you get the rust treatment for only underbody or hood area as well? If it was for hood area as well, which I havent seen anyone apart from Maruti doing, you can ask Honda to take care of the problem at their expense.

Quote:
I don't know how Honda is going to repair it as I'm not taking my car to them.
They will replace the complete firewall, no repairing, hence, heafty bill..

Quote:
Getting it done from my local mechanic. He is saying we can cure the rust but if the damage is too much then I'd rather replace the whole strip (dunno what's it called).
Its always good to replace the complete firewall or water draining strip (which is major culprit most of the times as rain water gets blocked here and starts making its way through firewall inside the car), if at all you get hold of it. I am not too sure of it will be easy to get this replacement part.

In between, if its this rain water draining strip, you can get access to it by removing fenders, I think you can in civic...worth a try before ripping that dash out..

All the best..

Quote:
If you look at Front brake parts, the pricing is much cheaper than what Honda India has priced.
Prices of brake pads of all these c+ segment cars are atrocious, cedia at 4k, civic at 5.2k and altis at some 6.5k, if I remember right. A nominal price for them should between 1500-2000 max.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 12th July 2011 at 02:24.
Old 12th July 2011, 09:57   #2074
BANNED

Quote:
Regarding the parts pricing, it could be so that Honda India got greedy and thats seen in their pricing; be it car or parts.
Car parts are at least 20% cheaper on the outside. The difference becomes even more significant if you can get the parts on the OE Manufacturer's label rather than the car co label.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:32   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Car parts are at least 20% cheaper on the outside. The difference becomes even more significant if you can get the parts on the OE Manufacturer's label rather than the car co label.
Of course they are sir! I have first hand experience of that, remember I got my OE (Nissin) brake pads from the after market.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:22   #2076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find that odd, I always thought that it was a one piece unit.
Would the part number mentioned in this website match our Civic part numbers with HASS?
No, you have to buy two end-can finishers. Each finisher fits over one of the dual exhaust tips. The Honda price for each is 2450 INR (after taxes, hopefully) at least in Hyderabad.

Good point on matching the part number. Let me do that.

By the way, what are you going to do now now for the rusted part? Repair or replace? Unfortunately insurance companies might classify this instance as occurring due to regular wear-and-tear and not reimburse you for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Still after the long lost treasure? Dont tell me that Honda has still not found a spare tip for you.
Oh yeah, the finishers are both long-lost and a treasure. I'm sure Honda can source a spare tip. I won't buy a pair right-away though. I think the parts markets are deeper and better-developed in the NCR. So once I reach there I'll hunt for an after-market pair that is either exactly the same (OEM) or look very close, and then take a decision.

----------------------------------

By the way, when I visited the Honda showroom today I realized that the fog-lamp casing is black-coloured even on a Habanero red V A/T. Isn't that odd? The 2009 face-lifted Civics come with the round/oval-shaped fog lamps and not the cooler-looking trapezoidal ones that fill the entire fog lamp housing area.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th July 2011, 23:23   #2077
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the parts markets are deeper and better-developed in the NCR. So once I reach there I'll hunt for an after-market pair that is either exactly the same (OEM) or look very close, and then take a decision.
I hope you get the tips/finisher (interesting new word, didnt know the term before).

Maybe the Scorponok should cheer up BQ by running alongside for sometime during the Hyd-NCR drive.

Quote:
The 2009 face-lifted Civics come with the round/oval-shaped fog lamps and not the cooler-looking trapezoidal ones that fill the entire fog lamp housing area.
Mdsaab and me were discussing this sometime back, we both like the older trapezoidal fog lamp assembly. It has more character. Is is possible to fit the trapezoidal fog lamps on to the new bumper? Doubt, due to the design.

Last edited by dot : 12th July 2011 at 23:25.
Old 13th July 2011, 09:29   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
@Hiren, sorry was keeping busy so couldnt reply to this thread.

Exactly same problem occoured in my cousin's lancer last year. However, it was after 11 long years that something like this happened. I agree its not the easiest of problems to repair. ASC said that they will replace the entire firewall and will cost over 20k.. Forget it I said. Local denter said, he needs to open the dash and will rip the entire rust area and weld a new metal sheet there, estimate 5k. Our friendly mechanic, Raju uninstalled throttle body, fuel filter, and complete intake and got access to firewall and applied primer to complete firewall. And the problem was sorted, damage 1.5k. No water got in this year, so the car is doing fine..

However, in case of civic getting access to firewall from hood is very difficult and I believe the only way left is to take out entire dash and fix the problem.
No problem Gaurav, thanks for the reply.
The problem that you mentioned with your Lancer, it seems my Civic has got the exact same problem. It seems the drainage outlet near the left firewall was blocked and water found a way out.

Took it to Honda for a check and they confirmed this. As usual Honda does not believe in repair but only replacement (SA's words, not mine). And they are quoting an astronomical 50K for replacing the entire firewall.

But my SA was a good chap and he suggested I get it done outside for a fraction of cost.

Quote:
Did you get the rust treatment for only underbody or hood area as well? If it was for hood area as well, which I havent seen anyone apart from Maruti doing, you can ask Honda to take care of the problem at their expense.
The rust treatment was done all around. All the more reason for me to be shocked with this. But to be fair, my SA mention that these places are hard to reach so the rust treatment is never done there.

I've decided that once I've plugged the rust, I will remove the wipers and its shroud to spray a coat of anti rust treatment. So hoping this would nip the problem once and for all.

Quote:
Its always good to replace the complete firewall or water draining strip (which is major culprit most of the times as rain water gets blocked here and starts making its way through firewall inside the car), if at all you get hold of it. I am not too sure of it will be easy to get this replacement part.

In between, if its this rain water draining strip, you can get access to it by removing fenders, I think you can in civic...worth a try before ripping that dash out..

All the best..
Thanks buddy. Yes, replacing the whole dang firewall will be the best solution but I don't want to go through this bank emptying process.
And you're right, its a hard to get part even my SA was not able to commit the timeframe to get it delivered.

Quote:
Prices of brake pads of all these c+ segment cars are atrocious, cedia at 4k, civic at 5.2k and altis at some 6.5k, if I remember right. A nominal price for them should between 1500-2000 max.
Wow, Altis takes the cake. I just fail to understand the huge markup in manufacturer OEM pricing. I got my Nissin branded pads for 1.7K.

Quote:
No, you have to buy two end-can finishers. Each finisher fits over one of the dual exhaust tips. The Honda price for each is 2450 INR (after taxes, hopefully) at least in Hyderabad.

Good point on matching the part number. Let me do that.

By the way, what are you going to do now now for the rusted part? Repair or replace? Unfortunately insurance companies might classify this instance as occurring due to regular wear-and-tear and not reimburse you for it.
I cannot believe 5K for 2 small steel cans.

Going to get this rust problem repaired. Cannot afford to replace it as of now.
And you're correct, I cannot clam insurance for this. The SA says this is a very rare occurrence as this is the first Civic they're come across with this problem. The Old Honda City had this problem but not the Civic.

As my luck would have it, the welder at my mechanic's place has gone on leave and will be AWOL for 10-12 days.
Now the hunt for a good garage starts. The SA did recommend a decent garage, will talk to them today. Planning to visit Carnation as well. Any experiences there?

Thanks all.
Old 13th July 2011, 13:06   #2079
Senior - BHPian

Update: Had a word with Carnation this morning to inform them about the rusting problem.
Spoke to the service advisor as well as the mechanic who does this work. They seemed quite knowledgeable and knew exactly what the issue is. Very impressed.
They will be taking the dashboard as well the windscreen out to completely cure the rusting.I just hope the coil top is alright, if not then its a major expense.

Will taking the car to them on Saturday for inspection.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 13th July 2011 at 13:08.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:11   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems the drainage outlet near the left firewall was blocked and water found a way out.
Water can make its way through biggest of rocks, this is just a sheet of metal. Power of Nature, you see.. I believe your drainage outlets was blocked for ages then. Do you have lot of trees around your place??

Quote:
And they are quoting an astronomical 50K for replacing the entire firewall.
Wohhh, 50k for a firewall, way to go Honda..

Quote:
But my SA was a good chap and he suggested I get it done outside for a fraction of cost.
Shouldnt cost over 5-7 grand from outside.

Quote:
I've decided that once I've plugged the rust, I will remove the wipers and its shroud to spray a coat of anti rust treatment. So hoping this would nip the problem once and for all.
Yes, a spray will make sure that there is no more rust. But I dont think it will guarantee that the problem doesnt arises again. You had stagnant water trying to make its way out, anti-rust will not work in this condition. You can take care of it by making sure that the drainage outlets are always clear.

Quote:
Yes, replacing the whole dang firewall will be the best solution but I don't want to go through this bank emptying process.
Of Course, none of us will want that. It can be repaired, just that the welder should know what he's dealing with.. Please take care of all the wires while the welding taked place and yes, take out the ecu and keep it on side. Dont think it can resisit heat of welding.

Quote:
I just hope the coil top is alright, if not then its a major expense.
Will taking the car to them on Saturday for inspection.
What coil are we talking about here.. heater core is it? And please take the car early in the morning and stand on their heads to get the work done. Afterall its a complicated job.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 13th July 2011 at 14:13.
Old 13th July 2011, 14:29   #2081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Water can make its way through biggest of rocks, this is just a sheet of metal. Power of Nature, you see.. I believe your drainage outlets was blocked for ages then. Do you have lot of trees around your place??
Yes, my car was parked under a tree during the monsoons. And would find lots of leaves in the boot channel and other hard to reach area. The opening around the wiper pivot would always be filled with leaves and it is a pain to clear.

Quote:
Wohhh, 50k for a firewall, way to go Honda..
and thats a conservative estimate.

Quote:
Shouldnt cost over 5-7 grand from outside.
That's what carnation are quoting, but they still need to inspect the car

Quote:
Yes, a spray will make sure that there is no more rust. But I dont think it will guarantee that the problem doesnt arises again. You had stagnant water trying to make its way out, anti-rust will not work in this condition. You can take care of it by making sure that the drainage outlets are always clear.
There is no more stagnant water, the drainage hole is now cleared and water now does not enter the cabin.

And yes, now every 2-3 months I will open up the wiper shroud and clear

Quote:
Of Course, none of us will want that. It can be repaired, just that the welder should know what he's dealing with.. Please take care of all the wires while the welding taked place and yes, take out the ecu and keep it on side. Dont think it can resisit heat of welding.
Oh that's a new angle you've introduced. Will look up on 8th civic on how to remove the ECU.

Quote:
What coil are we talking about here.. heater core is it? And please take the car early in the morning and stand on their heads to get the work done. Afterall its a complicated job.
How do i explain this? Basically its a piece of sheet metal between the firewall and the engine compartment. If you see the last image I posted it has a rust spot, that's coil top. Don't quote know what it does.
Old 13th July 2011, 15:29   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, my car was parked under a tree during the monsoons. And would find lots of leaves in the boot channel and other hard to reach area. The opening around the wiper pivot would always be filled with leaves and it is a pain to clear.
This used to be the case with my car too whenever I visited my parents' place. Now we've put a shed on top of that open parking area but BQ saw a lot of this in its infancy. This coupled with the fact that it gets a waster wash at least twice a week means I need to be careful about this issue too.

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th July 2011, 15:36   #2083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh that's a new angle you've introduced. Will look up on 8th civic on how to remove the ECU.
I think Carnation should know how to do that. Basically an electritian will undo all your dashboard, including all wiring, ECU, airbags and lot. ECU should be behind the glove box somewhere..

Quote:
How do i explain this? Basically its a piece of sheet metal between the firewall and the engine compartment. If you see the last image I posted it has a rust spot, that's coil top. Don't quote know what it does.
Ya, thats the opening for AC evaporator coil (Heater core), as we call it. Its a small radiator kinds a thing in the dash, coolant from engine passes through it and when you turn your hearter on, basically heat from this exchanger is transfered to you through blower. It can also be thought of as a heater core filled with cold gas. The AC cools the incoming air and the heater core reheats it to a desired temperature..thats how your Cimate control works.

Now that you are getting the dash opened its a good idea to get this evaporator coil and ac blower cleaned. All the dust/small tree leaves are blocked here. Blocked heater core may result in what is called an iceing problem. The thermostat cant work as its tip freezes, and you get fumes from your AC vents as you get from your freezer at Home. A pathetic tree outside our house which sheds tiny leaves makes sure that the evaporator coil in all our cars is cleaned every 2-3 years. The civic at home needed cleaning this year (2 year old car) and the cedia may need it next year. Swift too needs it every 2-3 years.. Honda charged 4k for complete AC service including fresh gas, and ripping dash and cleaning evaporator coil and blower.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 08:52   #2084
BHPian

have been having an issue with my civic since the last few days, there is a shrudder when i reverse the car in the morning as if the gear does not engage properly. It only happens in the mornings. I also hear some suspension noise when on bad roads. i checked the front lower arms and one of them appears to be weak. Not sure if the two issues are related. The car has just done 24K on the odo and mostly city driven (no harsh driving)

Any ideas/comments on what the problem could be or has anyone faced such an issue?

Neel
Old 14th July 2011, 11:05   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel View Post
have been having an issue with my civic since the last few days, there is a shrudder when i reverse the car in the morning as if the gear does not engage properly. It only happens in the mornings. I also hear some suspension noise when on bad roads. i checked the front lower arms and one of them appears to be weak. Not sure if the two issues are related. The car has just done 24K on the odo and mostly city driven (no harsh driving)

Any ideas/comments on what the problem could be or has anyone faced such an issue?

Neel
Try getting the front suspension retorqued from the HASS, that should take care of the shudder and noise.

Most Viewed