Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2011, 09:56   #2161
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Speaking of batteries , in my 800 a sign of a weak battery about to die would be when the starter motor would stop half way while cranking,it would pause a little while cranking and then resume.When it does this it would be a dead giveaway that the battery is about to die in a few days time.

Is there any such indication given in the civic that the battery is on it's way out or would it just die without any warnings ?

thanks
I think the starter motors of today are a bit different, and hence you don't get that sort of indication. When the battery conked off on us in mg road. There were no tell tale signs that such a thing could happen in the near future. I do remember clearly though, every time i tried to crank, the digital display would just flicker. and no sound at all of the starter motor.
Also a big tip :-
If the years have gone by, and it may be around time for a battery replacement. Get it checked from you local battery shop, or call exide which has the bat mobile. they will come down to you and check it out.

Also in such cases, when the years have gone by, do not go out for ice cream in the night. switch off the engine and keep the interior light on. You are asking for it then
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 09:59   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of batteries , in my 800 a sign of a weak battery about to die would be when the starter motor would stop half way while cranking,it would pause a little while cranking and then resume.When it does this it would be a dead giveaway that the battery is about to die in a few days time.
Agree.
But Sometimes this might also happen if starter motor solenoid is about to give away.
So can't purely come to a conclusion on Batteries.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 10:11   #2163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

It is not available anymore.
Just checked. It is very much there. booster cable | eBay He has shipped my second unit yesterday evening. Maybe the URL changed it is under Auto Parts>Other.

Yes you folks are right, an AT can only be push started (if at all) if it can be pushed to 25 kph or so. Also, if you have a real bad battery failure then with modern ECUs etc. the car is a brick, AT or otherwise.
Old 29th July 2011, 12:01   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just checked. It is very much there. booster cable | eBay He has shipped my second unit yesterday evening. Maybe the URL changed it is under Auto Parts>Other.

Yes you folks are right, an AT can only be push started (if at all) if it can be pushed to 25 kph or so. Also, if you have a real bad battery failure then with modern ECUs etc. the car is a brick, AT or otherwise.
Thanks. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I sent a message to ebay seller to re-list, he re-listed, I bought and he couriered it yesterday.
Old 29th July 2011, 18:15   #2165
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
This is 100% working great Amaron battery replaced in May, 2008. Does it make sense to replace a perfect battery? I don't think so. BTW, your advice is great for an OEM battery which lasted less than 2 years in my case.
Agreed. I didnt know the history of your battery change. Funnily enough, recently I found out that my Scorponok's battery was replaced in 3Q 08. Why is it that the OEM battery was replaced within 18 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I guess the AT guys want it to jump start their cars if stuck somewhere unexpectedly, MT guys can push start, but AT guys need some battery to jump start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Absolutely right! In an AT you cannot push start.
It is good that we are having this discussion. I am a convert already (jump started you can say). Looked out for jump start cables yesterday. In Autozone they are asking for 30-40$ (2 grades). Will check in Walmart also. Seems like the ebay price that folks have been suggesting is unbeatable.
Old 30th July 2011, 10:24   #2166
BANNED

In my experience since 1976 I have had only one case of an OE battery going beyond three years. Mostly, it is 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 years.

@dot; Yes, eBay is excellent. If you go in by the search route then you will see some cart2India listings starting at Rs.1200+ (for 150A!). My secvond set has also been couriered. I need two as both my cars are AT. At the price Rs.579 now it is a very affordable way of feeling secure.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 17:07   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Now a Civic Blackberry group. Scan the bar code to join.

Name:  Civilianzzzz 5897482068203_barcode.png
Views: 2145
Size:  10.2 KB
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 23:46   #2168
Senior - BHPian

My civic (bought pre-used) will be due for the major 40K service in a few months time.I wanted you people's opinion as to whether to give it to a H.A.S.S or a to a competent independant garage.

Now the garage guy which i use to service my old car is pretty knowledgeble and dependable.He doesn't overcharge and won't make you change/replace any part which does not need to be changed.The trouble is he does not have a diagnostic system to hook into the car's ECU.So i was thinking for my 40K service i could simply take the car to a H.A.S.S and ask only for the diagnostic scanning and get the report for the same from them.Next with report i plan to take the car to my garage and depending upong the scan result get the necessary things done from him which would work out cheaper.

Do you think this will be a good idea.? Is there anything special which can be done only by a H.A.S.S that one must only go to them save for the scanning?My car's in good shape and touch wood there are no problems.Also the brake pads have been replaced and i am not expecting the dreaded engine mount problem.

thanks

edit: I also noted that in my car's engine bay the covers (four of them) for what i think are spark plugs missing.Is it important for them to replaced?By any chance anybody how much they cost

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th July 2011 at 23:49.
Old 31st July 2011, 07:36   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My civic (bought pre-used) will be due for the major 40K service in a few months time.I wanted you people's opinion as to whether to give it to a H.A.S.S or a to a competent independant garage.
To be honest. I for one prefer to go to the authorized service center.
I would only go outside if
1. Honda are unable to rectify my problem to my satisfaction.
2. There is no H.A.S.S
3. I am extremely sure that the independent will do a better job.

Some advantages of doing the service at Honda are
1. May translate into better resale value.
2. More experienced with the Civic as they have had proper training for that particular model, and service them on a regular basis.
3. No issues for sourcing parts on your own.

These are just my views.
Having said them.
If you do feel the independent will give you good service and you are confident of his capabilities. I don't see why not.
But please do keep in mind the 40K service is a major one.
Old 31st July 2011, 09:55   #2170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
To be honest. I for one prefer to go to the authorized service center.
I would only go outside if
1. Honda are unable to rectify my problem to my satisfaction.
2. There is no H.A.S.S
3. I am extremely sure that the independent will do a better job.

Some advantages of doing the service at Honda are
1. May translate into better resale value.
2. More experienced with the Civic as they have had proper training for that particular model, and service them on a regular basis.
3. No issues for sourcing parts on your own.

These are just my views.
Having said them.
If you do feel the independent will give you good service and you are confident of his capabilities. I don't see why not.
But please do keep in mind the 40K service is a major one.
Yes i agree the 40K would be a major service where Honda will ask you to change the brake pads (which in my case are already replaced) and stuff like the fuel stainer aka the fuel filter which cost around 3k .

I estimate the HASS bill to be like the following.(all speculative figures with inputs from posts on this very thread.Figures quoted a bit on higher side for margin of error)
1500 oil
300 oil filter
3900 fuel stainer
1000 air filter
2000 fuel system cleaning
900 HDS
2500 labor
1000 Misc
-------------------
13100 Total

So a estimated 13k bill.Now i don't mind paying this one time for a major service but the problem is i don't trust HASS.I have had issues previously with MASS (Maruti) wherein they had plugged the fuel filter in the reverse way in the my 800 when the car had gone for service to them (sai service)

My friend had given his 2006 Honda city to Solataire Honda (andheri) last year for servicing.They got back to him saying that the wiper motor needs replacing.The wipers were running fine before the service and stopped working a few days after the car came from Solataire.

We took the car to a local garage to inspect the wipers,when the mechanic pulled out the motor we found the motor had corroded and rusted like it wasn't 4 years but a 10 years old motor.I mean how come the thing can just corrode so much.My 14 years 800 wiper motors does not have so much rust and that thing still works after all these years.

This is what i am concerned about.How do i know these HASS guys won't take people for a ride.This is very my trusted garage come into the pic.
Old 31st July 2011, 10:12   #2171
Senior - BHPian

I understand your concern.
is there another dealer in your city apart from solitaire?
we have 2 dealers in Pune, i was unhappy with the first dealer and once i shifted to the second dealer i have never had any issues, and am extremely satisfied with the experience thus far.
please check out this thread too, to read others Honda owners views and experiences with Honda A.S.S it even has useful poll too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ners-only.html
also speak to the service advisor at Honda A.S.S tell him you have had issues with service centers before. and would like to be with your vehicle during this service since it's a major one. Or atleast present for the important things. Also there is a huge bay window in most customer care lounges where you can view the service area from up above. This helps in keeping an eye on things. and anytime you feel you need to intervene do not hesitate to go down and speak to your allotted service advisor
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 11:09   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is what i am concerned about.How do i know these HASS guys won't take people for a ride.This is very my trusted garage come into the pic.
From what you say i think your talking about Joe from nakita motors in bandra.
I agree he is very good with his work. But joe has only just(2years) started working on others car he previously only handled Maruti's. And he will source materials from outside for your car. A wash also will be given elsewhere. For small issues hes ok.
For a 40k service it makes sense to give it to H.A.S.S. If you dont trust them stand there and watch and get it done. Only way out.
Old 31st July 2011, 12:03   #2173
BHPian

Does anybody know what happens if wheel bearings fail? I am getting a whirring noise at speeds above 20kmph. Nothing while idling. From some Civic forums I could gather the sound could be of wheel bearing noise.
I will take the car to the HASS but if anybody experienced bearing failure it will be helpful to have some information on the symptoms and the other cost.
Old 31st July 2011, 13:32   #2174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Now a Civic Blackberry group. Scan the bar code to join.

Attachment 585480
what about us android'ians? Whatsapp helps here perhaps?
Old 31st July 2011, 18:15   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
what about us android'ians? Whatsapp helps here perhaps?
Whats app also is a good idea too.
For now we've made a blackberry group for faster access to Civic owner's about discussions, meets etc.

Also we were to have a CIVIC photoshoot today which we will postpone to another time. Due to rains.

Just a hint of wht it will be like.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_4534.jpg
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks