Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:05   #2191
BANNED

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Read up in the back pages of this thread / lubricating oils threads in the forum.
This is the best way. If I recall correctly minimum for Engine Oil is API-SL. 0W30, or 0/5W40 are both kosher. These will be synthetics, but API-SL allows good minerals as well. They may be 5W30 and 10W40 since a semi-synth has a narrower viscosity range. Always a good idea to check from the Owners Handbook. I think the fill is 3.65litres
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:21   #2192
Senior - BHPian

Today, mt Civic-AT completes 5 year.

I got the delivery on 02-Aug-2006. It was probably one of the firsts in Delhi. It has been wonderful experience. After buying Civic, 3 cars (as second car) came and went but I could not part with Civic. Planned to sell it and buy an SUV in 2009, posted an ad on Team-bhp and carwale.com. Got few buyers, one of them came to see the car twice and and third time he called to tell that he is coming with advance money. At that very moment, I dropped the idea of selling it and I am happy that I did that.

58,000 kms and still going strong. No signs of its age. I faced almost no problems (very minor issues) in these 5 years. Out of the minor issues I faced were more of A$$ issues and less of the car.

Thank you Honda for giving us such a wonderful car.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:43   #2193
Senior - BHPian

My cousin's civic seem to have slight knocking/grinning kinda sound between 1 and 1.5k rpm. As of now, the noise if very less and almost unnoticeable. When I drove the car 2-3 days back, I could hear that sound at night.. I have a feeling that its the auto tensioner as described/witnessed by DOT and a few others on this forum. For now, we are not touching it as the noise is almost non existant but if it increases, the car should need a new auto tensioner..if at all it is auto tensioner..

@Mukeshgoel, Glad to hear that the car is doing its duties rather nicely..

@Hiren.mistry, Nice to know that carnation was able to fix the water leak issue. Wish you trouble free ownership in future..
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:12   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Welcome to the club - its a common problem with Civics.

Sushrutha's recommendation is to use WD40 lubricant spray on the area where the clutch pedal sinks into the floor. However, WD40 is not available easily in hardware stores.

Instead, buy Zorrik 88 lubricant spray - made by Pidilite Industries, the makers of Fevicol - from a hardware store. Spray generously into the "hole" that the clutch pedal sinks into - works like charm!
I have used WD40 on my matiz clutch, and it really made a difference. The clutch was smoother and the pesky noise which was the reason for me reaching out for the can, vanished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You can always ask the service advisor at the A.S.C.
I was about to type the same yesterday, but then stopped. I thought to myself, what are we at Team-BHP here for then?
OR

simply look it up in the owner's manual. The relevant information can be found in the "Engine and Transmission' section and will be cross referenced under 'Fluids' and 'Maintenance Schedule'.

OR

Read up in the back pages of this thread / lubricating oils threads in the forum.
Yes the owner's manual is the perfect place to check out this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

I got the delivery on 02-Aug-2006. It was probably one of the firsts in Delhi. It has been wonderful experience. After buying Civic, 3 cars (as second car) came and went but I could not part with Civic. Planned to sell it and buy an SUV in 2009, posted an ad on Team-bhp and carwale.com. Got few buyers, one of them came to see the car twice and and third time he called to tell that he is coming with advance money. At that very moment, I dropped the idea of selling it and I am happy that I did that.

58,000 kms and still going strong. No signs of its age. I faced almost no problems (very minor issues) in these 5 years. Out of the minor issues I faced were more of A$$ issues and less of the car.

Congratulations to you and your beauty for achieving this milestone.
Wishing you many more miles of joyful motoring with your beauty.
and yes, Thank you Honda for giving us such a lovely car!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:07   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Same here. One of first cars in Mumbai. Though I had a terrible initial time and several issues, since last two years, it is behaving very well (touch wood). Of course my kms is very less, but still. After recently changing / upgrading my tires (205/65 Yoko db), it is simply super smooth. The tires have improved GC, hugely the grip (now ABS hardly even kicks in) and comfort and noise.

I am getting about 8 km/l in city and 13-14 km/l or so highway. (Old tires gave about 7 & 11-12). I feel easily it can go another 5 years. Still not even needed to change brake pads. Probably will be required in a few months. I feel I will change the discs too (rather than skimming), so no problems for another few years.

The AT seems to know what I want from it and seldom disappoints.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 3rd August 2011 at 11:10.
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:29   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Got my 55k Service (at 58k) kms today. Had no complaints.

Cost 900+Service tax = Rs.993/-.
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:17   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my 55k Service (at 58k) kms today. Had no complaints.

Cost 900+Service tax = Rs.993/-.
Did they do only an oil change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Same here. One of first cars in Mumbai. Though I had a terrible initial time and several issues, since last two years, it is behaving very well (touch wood). Of course my kms is very less, but still. After recently changing / upgrading my tires (205/65 Yoko db), it is simply super smooth. The tires have improved GC, hugely the grip (now ABS hardly even kicks in) and comfort and noise.

I am getting about 8 km/l in city and 13-14 km/l or so highway. (Old tires gave about 7 & 11-12). I feel easily it can go another 5 years. Still not even needed to change brake pads. Probably will be required in a few months. I feel I will change the discs too (rather than skimming), so no problems for another few years.

Glad to hear that you to have had a relatively trouble free ownership experience.
Wishing you many more joyful miles with your ride.
Drive Safe!
Old 4th August 2011, 08:17   #2198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Did they do only an oil change?
No oil change because oil (synth) was changed at 50k. 900+tax is just for service.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:25   #2199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No oil change because oil (synth) was changed at 50k. 900+tax is just for service.
So what did they do in the service? or did it come down to just checkup and wash?
Old 4th August 2011, 10:45   #2200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Does the noise volume increase after 20km or stays constant? Does it have a high low frequency? It can be worn out brake system also. I have been in an Accord whose wheel bearings had busted. The noise was unbearable once car would cross 30mph.

Thanks Dot. It was indeed the RHS bearing. Phew!! Got it replaced and all is well.

A piece of warning for our Hyderabadi Honda owners:

I also had a bad front passenger seat belt which I wanted to replace and no dealer in Bangalore had it in stock. Since I was in Hyderabad last week, I called up Pride Honda and asked if they had it in stock, they did and I had the car picked up for replacing the seatbelt assembly.

Since they took the car, I asked them to look at the noise too. The service advisor calls me and tells me that this is an unknown engine noise coming from INSIDE the engine and they will have to open the engine which will take about 15-20days . That really really got me worried. Told him I have to travel back to Bangalore and cannot leave the car for so long and asked if I can make it back to Bangalore. He said not a problem and not to drive over 90kmph. I shudder now when I think back that I drove almost 600 kms with a broken bearing with kids in the car.

Either the guys at Pride Honda are abunch of - ignoramuses or cheats. Could not decide which one.

The topping on the cake is that I get a call from them yesterday asking if I was happy with the service I got. I asked them what service is that, the lady says they fixed the engine noise.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:54   #2201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
So what did they do in the service? or did it come down to just checkup and wash?
They did pre-defined checks, tightening of loose nuts+blots. Lubs & fluids top up, all according to the list they have for 55k service of Civic.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 11:57   #2202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post

I am also thinking of changing my cars tyres to 205/65/15 but am not sure whether it will cause any problems as the original size is 195/65/15. A tyre dealer told me it may cause issues.
Sandeep can you please confirm - does this size 205/65 scrape in the fenders under load (4-5 people and luggage) or over speed breakers?

Also, am confused between the Michelin PLC and the Yoko's. Which would be the better brand/tyre between the two? BTW what is db? Even the Conti Premium Contact 2...

From the above 3 which is the one to go for?

advice on the above.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cyborg : 4th August 2011 at 12:11. Reason: Wanted to add text
Old 4th August 2011, 12:07   #2203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg

I am also thinking of changing my cars tyres to 205/65/15 but am not sure whether it will cause any problems as the original size is 195/65/15. A tyre dealer told me it may cause issues.
Sandeep can you please confirm - does this size 205/65 scrape in the fenders under load (4-5 people and luggage) or over speed breakers?

Also, am confused between the Michelin PLC and the Yoko's. Which would be the better brand/tyre between the two? BTW what is db?

advice on the above.

Thanks.
I am not the tire exper. But i believe michelins are the better brand.
Do you really feel the need to upgrade the tyres?
db could be sound decibels.
Ok so db is related to tyres. So i edit my post.

Last edited by mdsaab : 4th August 2011 at 12:13.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:10   #2204
Senior - BHPian

I am also using 205/65/15 Yoko db. And it does NOT scrap the fenders. I have tested it 5 people on board and at extremely devil speed-breakers of Haryana State Highways.

db stands for The decibel to highlight Noise Simulation Technology. More on this at:

Yokohama / OUR TYRES / dB decibel
Old 4th August 2011, 12:12   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg

Also, am confused between the Michelin PLC and the Yoko's. Which would be the better brand/tyre between the two? BTW what is db?

advice on the above.

Thanks.
Another poster had changed to yoko 205/60 and not reported any issues. He felt braking in rain was slightly less. I have not felt this at all.

I preferred 205/65 for better GC and comfort. My chap recommended yoko over michelin, but I feel mostly a personal choice. I also felt db v 550 better than the S. I am very happy with my choice so far.

While we tested in normal conditions, we did not test under load. You can always check before finalising.

Most Viewed