Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 12:02   #2236
Team-BHP Support

Re: 90K Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Finished 90K Service.
Car is silky smooth as usual.
No (major) problems what-so-ever in over 4.2 years of ownership.

Total - Rs.5,377 (including taxes).

90,000 kms! This has got to be the highest mileage on a Civic. Did you have to change the timing belt? How much was the service bill at 70,000 kms and 80,000 kms approximately?
Old 5th August 2011, 12:05   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brake-pads wear on AT

First of all congratulations on the big 9~0.
Wishing you many more miles of joyful highway cruising with your mile cruncher. Drive Safe!
In Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
@sgiitk had posted earlier on faster wear of brake-pads on an AT.
I am proud of myself that after 50K kms my front-pads may still do another 10K.
Awesome!
I mostly drive on highways, and have trained myself to (subconsciously) avoid using the brakes as much as possible. This also give me great FE.
I have begun to understand this art, and have been achieving phenomenal mileage in the ANHC as a result. Also learnt to bring this art into my City driving too. It's a truly satisfying experience.
However I have to do a lot of ghat driving (my children are studying in Ooty) so when coming down the hills cannot avoid heavy use of brakes. (I have climbed the Ooty hills 59 times in 4.2 years).
Ofcourse coming down the hills does require the use of the brakes a lot.
But you can shift to S mode and use the paddles in a lower gear to take advantage of some engine braking.
If it's a manual then it's quite obvious.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:14   #2238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Did you have to change the timing belt? How much was the service bill at 70,000 kms and 80,000 kms approximately?
No, I have not changed the timing belt.

I also never had any of the problems I have seen on this thread like engine-mount failing, horn, rattling, etc so far. In fact except for the routine services I have done nothing special so far.

I need time to search my records on 70K and 80K services, which I will post soon! (you can also go through my earlier posts in this same thread, I have posted all my services I have done so far).

(I plan to hold this car for ten years and might do more than 2 lakh kms by then).

Last edited by manim : 5th August 2011 at 12:19.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:19   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I have however maintained a slight lower pressure - 30 as against 32 suggested. Highway maintain 34. Getting older, comfort is more important...
Can you please explain as why you are meintaining more tyre pressure on highways ?
Do you maintain the same pressure when you don't have co-passengers ?
Higher tyre pressure on an highway, definetely braking efficiency is reduced + increased F.E (less rolling resistance & comparitively less contact surface)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I've heard that some suspension bits can get damaged if tyres run on higher pressure. On smooth tar-road highways such as the NH7 that should be a non-issue, I think.
Right, not much of an issue on highways.
Just try this, increase the tyre pressure to say 35 psi & drive on a rough road, notice the noise from suspension. Now reduce the tyre pressure to say 28 psi, noise will be slightly reduced.

Quote:
90,000 kms! This has got to be the highest mileage on a Civic. ?
Very recently saw a CIVIC on sale (some Rajasthan registration) which had covered more than 1.1L kms

Quote:
Did you have to change the timing belt ?
Civic, does it come with Timing belt or Chain ? I feel it's Chain.
someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by sushrutha : 5th August 2011 at 12:21.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:02   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Can you please explain as why you are meintaining more tyre pressure on highways ?
Do you maintain the same pressure when you don't have co-passengers ?
Higher tyre pressure on an highway, definetely braking efficiency is reduced + increased F.E (less rolling resistance & comparitively less contact surface)

someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Always higher pressure for highways. Do a search of forum / websites for reasons. Major reason for blowouts / accidents is mistaken concept of lower pressure for highways, especially Mumbai Pune e'way.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 15:57   #2241
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I think the tyre discussion rotates every once in a while

Changing topic, as I understood from dinu's post, Civic needs 9003 and 9004 headlight bulbs.
DOT from where'd you get this? IIRC our Civic's need 9005 and 9006 bulbs, thats what I got when I replaced my stock bulbs to Philips.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 17:29   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Sylvania is Osram. Intially I was baffled. But then which one to buy? 9006 or 9003, HB or H7?
Quote:

No extra relay is required if the wattage is same. Civic has a relay.
I have Philips Crystal Vision 4300 HB3 in my highbeams, which I have put very recently.
I can check the bulb n let you know in a short while
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
DOT from where'd you get this? IIRC our Civic's need 9005 and 9006 bulbs, thats what I got when I replaced my stock bulbs to Philips.
Right.
For all those who have doubt, let me clarify.
HB3 - 9005 - High Beam
HB4 - 9006 - Low Beam

Please zoom the pic for a slightly better understanding.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-copy-photo0064.jpg
Kindly excuse for the pic quality.

Kindly check your glove box ... Company would have provided one extra set of bulbs. You can check them
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 18:39   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply Sandeep. I completely agree with your findings about comfort, road noise and steering response when compared to bridgestones.

Quote:
I had no problem in getting S drives or dbv550s at 205/65/15 or 205/60/15 sizes.
I think you will have 205/55/R15 S-Drives in your other car. As far as I remember, the S-Drives were never available in 205/60 or 65 in R15. Yokohamas website also doesnt show the same..

Quote:
I think civic will have timing belt. Chain is mostly in diesel engines..Initially I thought cedia had timing chain but a mechanic confirmed that we will find chains mostly in diesel engines..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 5th August 2011 at 18:42.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:52   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Always higher pressure for highways. Do a search of forum / websites for reasons. Major reason for blowouts / accidents is mistaken concept of lower pressure for highways, especially Mumbai Pune e'way.
That was an eye-opener, Sandeep. Thank you!

I came across an article by Hankook that says an increase of 0.2 to 0.3 kg/cm^2 (2.8 to 4.2 psi) is required for high-speed driving. That article also says that just 2 kms are enough to bump up pressure inside the tyres by 4 psi!

So does that mean that if for whatever reason we couldn't get the correct air pressure into the tyres before the start of a highway journey and get air pressure checked at a pump en route, we should be topping up to around 38 psi (stock tyre pressure for the Civic is 30)?

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 23:26   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Yes. If tires are warm, at least 2-4 psi must be factored in. I find that mid-way when filling fuel, tires are checked & filled at cold psi. Absurd.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 02:45   #2246
BHPian

@sumeet
The soft diewall issue was present with old generation of PLC but the new ones dont have that problem.

The PLC on my civic has now done close to 6k in 9months and has seen worst of Expressway potholed filled new bombay roads and also our great suburb roads, and nothing on them, no sign of wear too
jatinpatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 05:17   #2247
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
IIRC our Civic's need 9005 and 9006 bulbs, thats what I got when I replaced my stock bulbs to Philips.
Quote:
For all those who have doubt, let me clarify.
HB3 - 9005 - High Beam
HB4 - 9006 - Low Beam
Thanks a lot, I have ordered for 9005 and 9006 Silverstar Ultras. Any ideas about the fog lamp bulbs? Are they H11?
Old 6th August 2011, 09:09   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. If tires are warm, at least 2-4 psi must be factored in. I find that mid-way when filling fuel, tires are checked & filled at cold psi. Absurd.
Thanks, Sandeep.

The nearest filling stations are 2 to 3.5 kms away in my case. Per that Hankook article, this distance is enough to make the tyres warm.

In the monsoon and winter I used to fill up to 30 psi only after driving that distance, sometimes 32 if it was day time and warm outside.

In the summer I always got it filled to 32 irrespective of the time of the day.

Perhaps I should bump up the summer number to 34 now, and even in the winter/monsoon I should ask the attendant to fill up to 32.

Time to buy a reliable air pump for use at home.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th August 2011, 16:21   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sumeet
The soft diewall issue was present with old generation of PLC but the new ones dont have that problem.
How much did you pay for a set of 4 ?

Today i managed to accidently set off the alarm of my Civic.What happened was, i was parked and was sitting inside the car with windows rolled up and had activated the lock button to lock all doors of the car.I enetered the key in the ignition to drive away after some time and the lights started to flash and the car's horn started to sound.

I guess i didn't realize that one has to deactivate ie unlock the doors and then start the car.When in lock mode the red light on the dashboard keeps blinking.When the horns and lights started i had the presence of mind to press the unlock button after which the alarm stopped.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 16:43   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
How much did you pay for a set of 4 ?

Today i managed to accidently set off the alarm of my Civic.What happened was, i was parked and was sitting inside the car with windows rolled up and had activated the lock button to lock all doors of the car.I enetered the key in the ignition to drive away after some time and the lights started to flash and the car's horn started to sound.

I guess i didn't realize that one has to deactivate ie unlock the doors and then start the car.When in lock mode the red light on the dashboard keeps blinking.When the horns and lights started i had the presence of mind to press the unlock button after which the alarm stopped.

I paid around 20.5k for set of 4 with balancing and alighment the price might have gone little up by now though, as in general tire prices are going up.

Oh so you managed to set off the alarm so how was it ?
When i managed to do it purposely just to check, it was quite amusing since all the society people were looking at the car and thinking someone is trying to steal it thats cause it was dark and no one could see me inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks