Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 17:18   #2491
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I would safely assume 60KMs, though I had pushed to 75Kms or even to 90Kms for the fuel pump to be happily submerged.
In fact HASS said 50 kms "minimum" and "irrespective of how the car is driven" after the yellow light comes on. They assume 7 litres with a mileage of 7 kmpl. Very, very conservative but then that's their job.

Since then I've never thought twice about, on occasion, going up to 30-40 kms after the light came on.

Regards,
spadix
Old 19th October 2011, 18:10   #2492
BHPian

So from all above, lets safely assume that after all bars have gone, we have upto 7 litres of petrol and 50 to 70 kms of run left with our cars and this is the time when refueling becomes priority. And till 'No Bars' level it should have done 400 to 450 kms for decent fuel efficiency.
Old 20th October 2011, 09:57   #2493
Senior - BHPian

dear all,
I am a little concerned about the safety of my civic due to the recent spate in thefts of Mits Pajeros.I know the civic has a immobiliser which might be tough to beat but don't the pajero's have a immobilisers too? I tried getting a gear lock but it did not fit.I am thinking of importing a brake pedal lock (from the club manafacturer) from 20north.com but it will cost me excess of 4K.Do you think it's worth the money ?

Here's a linky

http://store.winner-intl.com/the-clu...-lock-p15.aspx

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 20th October 2011 at 09:59.
Old 20th October 2011, 11:49   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
So from all above, lets safely assume that after all bars have gone, we have upto 7 litres of petrol and 50 to 70 kms of run left with our cars and this is the time when refueling becomes priority. And till 'No Bars' level it should have done 400 to 450 kms for decent fuel efficiency.
The above should only be done if there is an unprecedented situation, as when the fuel level is so low there is a possibility of dirt etc at the bottom of the tank to create problems in the engine.
With the extremely pure (sarcastic) quality of fuel which is available to us it would be prudent to fill up when the light comes on or the level is down to 2-3 bars.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:59   #2495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
dear all,
I am a little concerned about the safety of my civic due to the recent spate in thefts of Mits Pajeros.I know the civic has a immobiliser which might be tough to beat but don't the pajero's have a immobilisers too? I tried getting a gear lock but it did not fit.I am thinking of importing a brake pedal lock (from the club manafacturer) from 20north.com but it will cost me excess of 4K.Do you think it's worth the money ?

Here's a linky

The Club Auto Brake Lock -- Winner International Online Store

thanks
Don't worry about it. Pajero being an old design is easier to steal than quite a few cars, and the demand for it is high thats why it is stolen a lot. I haven't really heard about Civics getting stolen.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 12:09   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The above should only be done if there is an unprecedented situation, as when the fuel level is so low there is a possibility of dirt etc at the bottom of the tank to create problems in the engine.
With the extremely pure (sarcastic) quality of fuel which is available to us it would be prudent to fill up when the light comes on or the level is down to 2-3 bars.
I agree to this cyborg. I learnt this very early in my biking days to never wait till the tank ran dry to fuel up. Same applies to Civic or any vehicle for that matter.
As a practice I always fill up once the low fuel light glows up.

Cheers
Old 20th October 2011, 12:22   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I agree to this cyborg. I learnt this very early in my biking days to never wait till the tank ran dry to fuel up. Same applies to Civic or any vehicle for that matter.
As a practice I always fill up once the low fuel light glows up.

Cheers
You bet!

On a lighter note - During earlier days I have run out of petrol in my bike a few times not because I miscalculated the remaining petrol but because did not have pocket money to fill gas
Old 20th October 2011, 12:46   #2498
Senior - BHPian

To put what i experience in a simple format -

1. Kms till the tank is dry -> 500Kms -> 20bars + reserve
2. Kms till the light comes on -> 400kms -> 18 bars
3. Kms after the light comes on till no bars -> 40-45kms -> 2 bars
4. Kms i have driven after no bars (i should be killed for that) -> 45+kms less than 50kms for sure -> No bars

All this in average diriving conditions.

So this explains 50ltrs~500kms~approx 22.5kms per bar + approx 50kms with no bar = FE of approx 10kmpl...in short INR3600 per 500kms

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 20th October 2011 at 12:51.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 14:24   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
To put what i experience in a simple format -

1. Kms till the tank is dry -> 500Kms -> 20bars + reserve
2. Kms till the light comes on -> 400kms -> 18 bars
3. Kms after the light comes on till no bars -> 40-45kms -> 2 bars
4. Kms i have driven after no bars (i should be killed for that) -> 45+kms less than 50kms for sure -> No bars

All this in average diriving conditions.

So this explains 50ltrs~500kms~approx 22.5kms per bar + approx 50kms with no bar = FE of approx 10kmpl...in short INR3600 per 500kms
Right on KSM! However I have a confusion between 20 or 22 bars! I was under the impression Civic's fuel gauge has 22 bars on display. Will check it again in the evening.

EDIT: Nope, there are 20 only, just confirmed in my car!

Last edited by Ace F355 : 20th October 2011 at 14:45.
Old 20th October 2011, 20:47   #2500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo
So from all above, lets safely assume that after all bars have gone, we have upto 5 litres of petrol and up to 50 kms of a sedate run left with our cars and this is the time when refueling becomes utmost priority. And till 'all but 2 Bars' level it should have done 400 to 450 kms for decent fuel efficiency.
Not exactly. Please see minor corrections in bold above.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 23:05   #2501
BHPian

hi guys! i am driving a 2009 Civic currently and have a few queries! Hope you can help me out!
1. The front right brake squeals at times. Have got it checked it twice (@Solitaire, Mumbai) and every time they just claim to "clean" the brakes and fix it back! The noise creeps back after a few weeks of drive!
2. There seems to be some problem with the rear door lock! At times it just does not open from the inside and has to be opened from outside. Again, have shown it at Solitaire but they blamed it on the child lock (which i never use)

Would be happy to get your suggestions!
Old 21st October 2011, 09:32   #2502
BANNED

Brake squeal is not too uncommon in disc brakes. So you may have to grin and bear it.

As for the child lock, before reading your full post my reaction was that the lever is stuck in an intermediate position. Try operating the lever a few times, for all you know the problem may go away. Otherwise, opening the door and examining/ lubricating/ adjusting the control may be the only option.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 17:57   #2503
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post

[b]So this explains 50ltrs~500kms~approx 22.5kms per bar + approx 50kms with no bar = FE of approx 10kmpl...in short INR3600 per 500kms
Wow, KSM, you are getting FE = 10 in Bombay traffic; awesome.
Old 21st October 2011, 17:59   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Wow, KSM, you are getting FE = 10 in Bombay traffic; awesome.
Well to be frank i dont drive the civic in traffic that often. I use the car only late night and on weekends.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 18:08   #2505
BHPian

Dear gurus,

My civic has a problem with the Air Conditioning. It seems, after 30/40 mins of driving with the AC ON, it stops working. I can only hear sound of Air gushing out but the volume of air is reduced almost to 10-15% of what it should be! If I stop the AC for sometime, say after 5/10 minutes, it once again becomes the same old chilling experience!
I have not yet taken the car to service centre. I have noticed and have been able to replicate this problem couple of times also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks