Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 15:37   #2626
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Just removed the rear centre seat belt and the locks and got installed front eating trays (very classy ones, do not look out of the place at all!) and now my Civic's rear seat is like my comfortable Sofa in long journeys with food on board, customized personal logo (GP) embroidery cushions and system controls in the arm rest Will click pics as soon my cam comes back from the borrower. Luxury at its very best!

Last edited by gaurav_diavolo : 12th December 2011 at 15:38.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 15:42   #2627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Guys,

Found a new problem yesterday during my trip to Chennai.Steering starts to vibrate at speeds over 90-100 KMPH. The vibration is present during running (not just during braking). Car has done 36000 Km and is still on stock Bridgestone.

Could it just be a wheel alignment issue or something else.I got the Wheel alignment done just during last service at Whitefield Honda.There is also some kind of tyre noise on the Driver side (Front).

Thanks.

Just do the wheel balancing again if already done before, its a case of imbalanced front wheels get all four wheel balanced and also check the alignment while at it and rotate all four wheels.

36k kms right ? you are soon gonna be looking for a tire replacement
Old 12th December 2011, 15:59   #2628
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Brake pads on an AT

Million+ kms on 2007 Civic.

Guys, check this out.

600,000+ miles and still going strong - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

He has replaced one engine and one transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
No change in Petrol. Filling Normal Unleaded Petrol at BPCL CoCo @RTO Pune. It was approx 7 bars on the fuel gauge.
That petrol bunk is a good one.

Usually the tank takes 18-20L if the bars are lit up till half point. For me, 100 Kms show up at 3/4 th tank. I have a feeling, that petrol has been been topped up by quite a few liters, beyond the cut off. Suggest you to recheck FE after the next tankful, filled till the cut off point.
Old 14th December 2011, 00:13   #2629
Senior - BHPian

Cousin's civic had become very difficult to drive because of uneven discs and braking and hence needed disc phase and new pads. Got the pads from Palika Bhavan this time as I was near the place in the afternoon (avoided going to Karol Bagh). Got Nissin brake pads, front and rear (made in Thailand) for Rs.2300/-

Also, need to correct the notion here that Nissin are not OE brake pads for civic. Though Brake calipers are made by Nissin.. The OE pads only has Honda embrossed on it and nothing else. I checked with the shopkeeper and he said genuine Honda pads are for about 7.5k for civic but he didnt have it at that point. Anyways, who was to buy it..

So, Rs.2300 for pads, Rs.300 for front disc phase and Rs.500 for labour. Total Damage: Rs.3100/- AGAINST Rs.16k quoted by Honda which included 10k for brake pads (front and rear) and about 6k for new front discs.

EDIT: OE rear pads lasted 60k and second set of front OE brake pads were half worn.. The front were changed at 40k kms.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th December 2011 at 00:14.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 11:49   #2630
Senior - BHPian

I still feel I would not take any chances on the brakes. In my experience, most companies always export their 2nd/3rd quality or even quality rejected products to India as basically there is no system of redress and servicing costs are cheap. Whether it is electronics, components, etc. especially in the unorganised market.

So I would prefer to pay Honda's price.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:05   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I still feel I would not take any chances on the brakes. In my experience, most companies always export their 2nd/3rd quality or even quality rejected products to India as basically there is no system of redress and servicing costs are cheap. Whether it is electronics, components, etc. especially in the unorganised market.

So I would prefer to pay Honda's price.
I agree with you that there should be no compromise on brakes and tires of the car. But I'd like to address the fact that these brake pads are aftermarket fitments and as long as its coming from a reliable manufacturer such as Nissin, TRW, Roulunds, Bosch, MMC, Akebono, NTN, Honeywell, Brembo, Continental, Federal Mogul, Mando etc; it should be no problem fitting them in your car.

In fact, Bosch makes aftermarket brake pads for N number of cars sold in India and they sell more pads in aftermarket than they do to any OEM here..Of course, you dont need a non branded brake pad remanufacured in some desi plant; but questioning the credibility of these companies is like question parts of any OEM, which ofcourse, these companies only supply.

Also, having used aftermarket branded parts in N number of cars, I wouldnt agree that these parts are sub standard by any criteria.

What we lack here in India is a regulatory body that can regulate the OEMs and can question them on the pricing of their products/parts. Come on, 80k for civic AC compresser, 45k for cedia's axle, 80k for i20 crdi's fuel pump, 1.5lac for Polo 1.2's engine head, 35k for altis's headlamps, 50k for civic's firewall. These prices are not JUSTIFIED and if I am to pay 6k for pads, I'd rather get a set of performance pads for 8-9k from US.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th December 2011 at 13:07.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 15:20   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I agree with you that there should be no compromise on brakes and tires of the car. But I'd like to address the fact that these brake pads are aftermarket fitments and as long as its coming from a reliable manufacturer such as Nissin, TRW, Roulunds, Bosch, MMC, Akebono, NTN, Honeywell, Brembo, Continental, Federal Mogul, Mando etc; it should be no problem fitting them in your car.

In fact, Bosch makes aftermarket brake pads for N number of cars sold in India and they sell more pads in aftermarket than they do to any OEM here..Of course, you dont need a non branded brake pad remanufacured in some desi plant; but questioning the credibility of these companies is like question parts of any OEM, which ofcourse, these companies only supply.

Also, having used aftermarket branded parts in N number of cars, I wouldnt agree that these parts are sub standard by any criteria.

What we lack here in India is a regulatory body that can regulate the OEMs and can question them on the pricing of their products/parts. Come on, 80k for civic AC compresser, 45k for cedia's axle, 80k for i20 crdi's fuel pump, 1.5lac for Polo 1.2's engine head, 35k for altis's headlamps, 50k for civic's firewall. These prices are not JUSTIFIED and if I am to pay 6k for pads, I'd rather get a set of performance pads for 8-9k from US.
Did you say that 2 sets of brake pads (front and rear) cost you only Rs. 2300? Honda charged me 4K for front brake pads alone. Don't you think that the price you paid is so ridiculously low that it borders on being fake? Or do you believe that Honda sells its parts at 4 times the actual price?

OK, Bosch officially sells auto-components in India. Does Nissin too? I am sorry if it really does, but I thought that it is available here via the grey market.

Again, how much do you save? Now, please don't bring the example of an AC compressor or an engine head. They cost way high compared to a set of brake pads. While you may save say 40K on an AC compressor, you save less than 2K on an after-market brake pad. Brakes in a car is a very critical component, and I am willing to spend another 2K on it if reduces the braking distance by by even a meter. Why take a risk for a 2K? Isn't that what we call penny pinching? After all you are driving a 15+Lac car!!!

Last edited by civic-sense : 14th December 2011 at 15:23.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:34   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Did you say that 2 sets of brake pads (front and rear) cost you only Rs. 2300? Honda charged me 4K for front brake pads alone. Don't you think that the price you paid is so ridiculously low that it borders on being fake? Or do you believe that Honda sells its parts at 4 times the actual price?
Yes, I paid Rs.2300 for a pair of front and rear. Hiren Mistry paid Rs.1700 only for front Nissins in Mumbai. Aftermarket parts market here in Delhi is very competitive considering you have Kashmere gate from where auto parts are distributed across India.

I think Bhpian Mukesh Goel also got Nissin pads for his civic from Karol Bagh. Bhpian ACE_F355 paid Rs.2,750 for both front and rear pads of civic (TRW make).

Most of these boxes come sealed. Brake pads are not very expensive. Rane has collaboration with TRW in India and they sell brake pads for swift for 500, santro for 400 and so on.

Most of these parts are import from South East Asia including thailand, malaysia, taiwan, and singapore.

Quote:
OK, Bosch officially sells auto-components in India. Does Nissin too? I am sorry if it really does, but I thought that it is available here via the grey market.
Yes, Nissin pads are here via a grey market and save 40% duty on parts and other taxes.

Quote:
Again, how much do you save? Brakes in a car is a very critical component, and I am willing to spend another 2K on it if reduces the braking distance by by even a meter. Why take a risk for a 2K? Isn't that what we call penny pinching? After all you are driving a 15+Lac car!!!
These pads are as good as if not better than the OE brake pads. You have to understand that all manufacturers in india sell parts at a premium. Also, all suppliers across the globle simply cannot survive by sourcing parts to OEM and hence they have aftermarket business. The suppliers I listed are global suppliers and supply to various OEMs across the globe. Even if the part is imported via a grey market, we cannot doubt their credibility. Having worked for a firm that does research on auto components manufacturers across the globe; i know what it takes to identify original car parts from fake.

If one want to reduce the braking, one is looking for carbon ceremic pads from mintex, akebono, brembo etc.

I did take this topic a while ago.. a link from this thread..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2339497

And yes there is a difference between penny pinching and spending sensibly. I got the job done for 1/5 of the cost of what you will pay to Honda. And that too by getting parts as good as those from Honda. You can see it as 12k saved, or 12k extra for my cousin's mutual fund which he plans to redeem for a cayman in 5-7 years..

And yes, you dont drive a 15 lac rupee car, you drive a 8-9 lac rupee car levied by extra profit and taxes..No offence, but if we were penny pinching, we wont have had 6 Petrol cars outside our house, each with an average run of 15-20k kms annually.

EDIT: I post parts costs here so that maximum people can benefit from it. And many people here already have.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th December 2011 at 16:58.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 18:19   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Yes, I paid Rs.2300 for a pair of front and rear. Hiren Mistry paid Rs.1700 only for front Nissins in Mumbai. Aftermarket parts market here in Delhi is very competitive considering you have Kashmere gate from where auto parts are distributed across India.

I think Bhpian Mukesh Goel also got Nissin pads for his civic from Karol Bagh. Bhpian ACE_F355 paid Rs.2,750 for both front and rear pads of civic (TRW make).

Most of these boxes come sealed. Brake pads are not very expensive. Rane has collaboration with TRW in India and they sell brake pads for swift for 500, santro for 400 and so on.

Most of these parts are import from South East Asia including thailand, malaysia, taiwan, and singapore.

Yes, Nissin pads are here via a grey market and save 40% duty on parts and other taxes.

These pads are as good as if not better than the OE brake pads. You have to understand that all manufacturers in india sell parts at a premium. Also, all suppliers across the globle simply cannot survive by sourcing parts to OEM and hence they have aftermarket business. The suppliers I listed are global suppliers and supply to various OEMs across the globe. Even if the part is imported via a grey market, we cannot doubt their credibility. Having worked for a firm that does research on auto components manufacturers across the globe; i know what it takes to identify original car parts from fake.
While I agree to most of your arguments, I still fail to see how we can say for sure that these after-market pads are genuine or fake? And my point is simple. I wouldn't want to live with an element of doubt with a component so critical and very "affordable" as a brake pad.

To each, his own and I respect your decision.

Last edited by civic-sense : 14th December 2011 at 18:20.
Old 14th December 2011, 18:55   #2635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
While I agree to most of your arguments, I still fail to see how we can say for sure that these after-market pads are genuine or fake? And my point is simple. I wouldn't want to live with an element of doubt with a component so critical and very "affordable" as a brake pad.
When you look at the pictures posted on the link I added from this thread, you can see the seal which has been broken. I bought roulunds pads and they too came with a seal. Also, its good to buy from a Reputed aftermarket shop. There is also difference in the quality but then you learn to differentiate according to quality with experience.

Quote:
To each, his own and I respect your decision.
Ya, to each, his own and Thanks .

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 14th December 2011 at 18:57.
Old 14th December 2011, 19:00   #2636
BHPian

power-steering fluid whine

At the end of a long drive (after 8 hours) I started hearing a whining/whistling noise from the engine whenever I pressed the accelerator. I was climbing the nilgiris ghat roads and was in Conoor. I thought that the noise was maybe due to the climb as the engine was getting loaded/stressed. The noise seemed to be coming somewhere from the engine bay.

I called up the Madurai-service-station and talked with three different supervisors. They suggested that it may be due to the belt or some bearing failing. I was getting worried.

After the car was parked for a couple of hours, when I restarted the sound was nearly gone. I looked around the engine bay and found oil leaked and all over the power-steering fluid reservoir. The fluid was below the low level indicator.

When I called the Coimbatore service-station (which was nearby Coonoor), one guy in break-down maintainence suggested that it may be due to a low level of power-steering fluid. It so happened that a break-down team was coming to Coonoor the next day (lucky me!). The guy said he will bring a can of power-steering fluid.

The next day the guy checked and filled up the fluid. On my return drive (another 8 hours and 456 kms) the noise never came again. (I had paid Rs.407 for a can of the fluid and Rs.150 as service charges). The level of fluid did not decrease again so there is no leak in the system.

I am now googling to learn if whining/whistling noise can come from a low level of power-steering fluid.

Anyone with similiar experience can confirm.

Odo is now at 96,800 kms.

Last edited by manim : 14th December 2011 at 19:02.
Old 14th December 2011, 19:27   #2637
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: power-steering fluid whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I am now googling to learn if whining/whistling noise can come from a low level of power-steering fluid.
Glad to know that the issue has been sorted out. Whining/whistling noise can come from pulleys. I wonder if low level of fluid in the power steering system was putting additional pressure on the serpentine belt system or to one of the pulleys.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 23:32   #2638
BHPian

Hello all

My rear right seat belt is stuck, its just simply catching on not able to use it at all what could be the issue?
could be the seat belt tensioner mechanism is kaput ? if so what is the cost has anyone here replaced it ever ? this is my First ever car with a seat-belt issue.

Also the key of my remote the unlock button is very very problamatic the sensitiveness of the button is simply gone, its like after pressing it 5-6 times if the luck is good it will lock or else insert the key in door handle and lock it manually. Another issue with the key is that at times the engine simply doesn crank and the key symbol on the cluster glows up thus stating that coding issue with the key and hence immobilizer cutting in

The door bidding rubber of both the rear doors simply dont stay in their place and just come out of the slot whenever they wish to and at places they have developed massive holes and little tears too, should i just use them or get them replaced ? what would be the replacement costs ?

kindly shed some light on this
specially the key and seatbelt issue
Old 16th December 2011, 21:29   #2639
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Also the key of my remote the unlock button is very very problamatic the sensitiveness of the button is simply gone, its like after pressing it 5-6 times if the luck is good it will lock or else insert the key in door handle and lock it manually. Another issue with the key is that at times the engine simply doesn crank and the key symbol on the cluster glows up thus stating that coding issue with the key and hence immobilizer cutting in
It seems like the battery of the key is dying. Also it may have worn out resulting in the car not recognizing it. There are car electrical experts who can help in figuring out a solution. I know one person in Pune who does this type of jobs, the same guy who installed ICE in my car.
Old 16th December 2011, 21:40   #2640
BHPian

Replacing the battery didn help at all,
today showed the key to an electrician he opened the key completely cleaned it and gave it a BIG dosage of WD40 and cleaned all the contacts, well now the car recognizing the key issue is gone but yes the remote button issue is still little bit there.

Honda told you cant get only the key, complete lock set would have to be changed for a price of 12.5k

aata kay ? (now what ?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks