Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 20:56   #2746
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

A quick question to all Civic owners here. I took test drive of Civic and found the driver headrest position not ergonomic. I felt it positioned too forward, and there was no support for neck. Any such observations/comments? Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:26   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1,00,000 kms Milestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Reached a Milestone with 1,00,000 kms, in 4 years and 8 months...

Longevity is my goal and I plan to hold this car for at-least 10 years with maybe more than 2+ lakh kms on the odoWant to wait a few weeks before going for my 1 lakh kms routine service and will post details here.
Great to know the Civic's reached the magic 100k mark, i also have plans to keep my Civic for the next 10 years or so.Can you tell what kind of oil did you use ie synthetic or mineral , also what was the oil change interval ?

thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:37   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Reached a Milestone with 1,00,000 kms, in 4 years and 8 months.
Congratulations Manim.All the very best for your next milestone target.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2012 at 13:12. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 24th January 2012, 09:58   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Great to know the Civic's reached the magic 100k mark, i also have plans to keep my Civic for the next 10 years or so.Can you tell what kind of oil did you use ie synthetic or mineral , also what was the oil change interval ?

thanks
Oil changes are at Honda recommended intervals, every 10K.
Up to 30K it was mineral, after 40K it is synthetic.
All the services are at the A.S.S at Madurai, TVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSteer View Post
A quick question to all Civic owners here. I took test drive of Civic and found the driver headrest position not ergonomic. I felt it positioned too forward, and there was no support for neck. Any such observations/comments? Thanks.
Had no problems with it, driving one lakh kms.
In fact I do enjoy the sitting position in the Civic and feel fresh after a nine hour drive (apart from the mild pain in the bum for sitting continuously for a long time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post

Congratulations Manim.All the very best for your next milestone target.
Thanks!

Last edited by manim : 24th January 2012 at 10:01.
manim is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 10:22   #2750
BHPian

Congrats Manim for completing the 100K mark. Great Car!

I have done the 40K service last week. There is a slight sound coming from somewhere when I turn the steering wheel especially at slow speeds or at zero speed. The SA has confirmed that the sound has nothing to do with the steering. He says the sound is because both the tie rod ends are not ok and need to be changed.The part is not available on their stock. It takes 15 days or so to get it delivered. However the SA suggested me to change it in the next service at 45K.Is it ok to drive the car in this form? What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by princemanatt : 24th January 2012 at 10:26.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:30   #2751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
Congrats Manim for completing the 100K mark. Great Car!

I have done the 40K service last week. There is a slight sound coming from somewhere when I turn the steering wheel especially at slow speeds or at zero speed. The SA has confirmed that the sound has nothing to do with the steering. He says the sound is because both the tie rod ends are not ok and need to be changed.The part is not available on their stock. It takes 15 days or so to get it delivered. However the SA suggested me to change it in the next service at 45K.Is it ok to drive the car in this form? What do you guys suggest?
Do not worry too much about it. I have various noises from steering, front suspension, etc. and was told to change quite a lot of parts (including lower arms). But a friend told me it can wait and only change it when absolutely unbearable or necessary. So far it has been 3 years and while the noises continue as before, nothing else seems wrong in the car's running otherwise.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 11:45   #2752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Do not worry too much about it. I have various noises from steering, front suspension, etc. and was told to change quite a lot of parts (including lower arms). But a friend told me it can wait and only change it when absolutely unbearable or necessary. So far it has been 3 years and while the noises continue as before, nothing else seems wrong in the car's running otherwise.
Same with me . I too have minor noises/rattles which are bearable.
manim is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 12:52   #2753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took test drive of Civic and found the driver headrest position not ergonomic. I felt it positioned too forward, and there was no support for neck. Any such observations/comments?
Yeah, maybe true but not sure as i do not use it ever. I mean i do not rest my head on the headrest as in most cars its too back and it almost feels like sleeping position when i keep my head on that.

I have seen some folks using pillow supports which ties below the head rest to give the neck some support. I myself have never needed it hence never tried it.
Old 24th January 2012, 19:02   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Oh, no. Not you also. Whats going on these days here?

This just reinforces the belief that Honda should recall all Civics and replace the mounts.
I just paid a lot of money for getting my Civic engine mounts (driven a little less than 40,000 kms) replaced at Bhopal after a long drive from Bangalore. Did not realize that this is a known problem and a number of people have got it either free as part of the service or as a goodwill gesture. If it is such a known issue, it should not be charged.
root is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 21:19   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oil changes are at Honda recommended intervals, every 10K.
Up to 30K it was mineral, after 40K it is synthetic.
All the services are at the A.S.S at Madurai, TVS.
You ran the mineral oil too for 10K ?
Old 24th January 2012, 22:04   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Seems that writing to customer care can help. My Civic had a bust AC Condenser. The dealer was trying to get a replacement for a week (could not even locate one). I wrote to customer care and got an automated reply (a day later) that they are closed till the 1st Jan. The following afternoon I get an e-mail from the dealer that they have got the condenser.

Serendipity or worry. I do not know.
SG Sir,Could you please let know the email id for customer care?I cant find it in their website.

Thanks.
Old 24th January 2012, 22:16   #2757
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations manim. Your ownership experience has been an inspiration. However I didnt know that you red line occasionally. Difficult not to do that with a Civic.

Quote:
My experience has been the opposite. I find the headrest very well positioned where one can rest the head without any tilting efforts. Tilting makes it less ergonomic as it is a wrong posture. In many cars the headrest/neck restraint is poorly designed where one needs to tilt real hard to find the surface. The best designed headrest has been a Camry for me so far, and it too had a nice forward shaped design.
In any case, a key reason of the object is to prevent head whiplash during an accident.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 05:31   #2758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Did not realize that this is a known problem and a number of people have got it either free as part of the service or as a goodwill gesture. If it is such a known issue, it should not be charged.
What is this problem with Engine Mounts, is this a known problem in all Civics and replaced free of cost? When does it usually occur?

Do newer Civics also have this problem or is it with the older one?
Old 25th January 2012, 10:20   #2759
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
What is this problem with Engine Mounts, is this a known problem in all Civics and replaced free of cost? When does it usually occur?

Do newer Civics also have this problem or is it with the older one?
The front engine mount, the one on top of the alternator goes kaput in most Civics. Most regulars of this thread had to deal with this issue. Scorponok's front engine mount was replaced after 2.5 years by the first owner. I dont think newer models have this issue solved. Hope you never have to face this.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:55   #2760
Senior - BHPian

I have had to have 3 engine mounts replaced in as many as 3 years. First 2 they did under warranty, last they refused, even though I had extended warranty and I had to pay for. Now while there is a slight noise, it has lasted 2+ years, so am hopeful the issue is mostly resolved. It seems there is a rubber bit which gives way in our climate and as per Honda policy there is no warranty for rubber, so it becomes a 'consumable'.

Same problem for the lower arms - the rubber bit is gone so it make a bit of noise once in a while. Again - sorry sir, rubber only cannot be replaced or part is not under warranty, entire assembly you have to replace at your cost.

As I said earlier, I am simply living with some of these noises, just turning up the music a bit as otherwise it simply is a very nice car to drive.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks