Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2012, 16:27   #2851
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Guys do you know where you can buy Honda Touch-up paint (Taffeta White NH578) in India?

There are several websites that offer this, located outside India (including Amazon), but I would prefer buying one locally.
Old 13th February 2012, 20:03   #2852
Senior - BHPian

Alignment varying with load

Over the weekend we drove to Agra/Fatehpur Sikri and back. There were 4 of us and there was some luggage, so you could say the car was almost fully loaded.

What I noticed was that I needed to keep the steering wheel turned ever so slightly (but not imperceptibly) to the right to make the car track true straight. This was surprising because we didn't hit any major potholes at all.

After returning and while driving to office today I noticed that I could keep the steering neutral as usual to track true straight.

Now, NH2/Sohna Road are very different from Gurgaon roads, but keeping that aside, what might cause this sort of behaviour?

Could it be as simple as slightly lower/higher air pressure in one tyre? Will alignment + balancing + rotation - which I intend to do as part of the upcoming 25k service - solve it? Or is this a sign of some suspension trouble (I hope not!)?

Thanks a ton!

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th February 2012, 20:22   #2853
Team-BHP Support

Re: Alignment varying with load

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
What I noticed was that I needed to keep the steering wheel turned ever so slightly (but not imperceptibly) to the right to make the car track true straight.
Improper wheel alignment job. The steering wheel needs to be locked in straight ahead position (with um.. that thing that holds the steering wheel in place) before wheel alignment is carried out.

Quote:
After returning and while driving to office today I noticed that I could keep the steering neutral as usual to track true straight.
OK now I'm lost.

The above problem is not supposed to be rectified automatically on a different road or with lower load.
Old 13th February 2012, 21:02   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Guys do you know where you can buy Honda Touch-up paint (Taffeta White NH578) in India?

There are several websites that offer this, located outside India (including Amazon), but I would prefer buying one locally.
Try Com Paint. It is good and light on the wallet too. You may end up spending 400 INR for a kit and its worth it.

http://www.com-paint.com/Product_Det...r=&qty=1&ccode=

Last edited by rr_zen : 13th February 2012 at 21:04. Reason: Added link
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 23:12   #2855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat
Improper wheel alignment job. The steering wheel needs to be locked in straight ahead position (with um.. that thing that holds the steering wheel in place) before wheel alignment is carried out.
Then, in under no load scenario the car should not track true straight when the steering wheel is in neutral position. What I observed happened only on this drive. In fact two weekends back we were on the NH24 and NH121 enroute Ramnagar. There were 3 of us with light luggage on the onward leg and two while returning. No issues then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat
OK now I'm lost.

The above problem is not supposed to be rectified automatically on a different road or with lower load.
Exactly the reason for my post.

Anyway, I'll get the suspension bits thoroughly checked as part of the 25k kms service. Mostly the SA will tell me everything is just fine. I don't expect any better from them.

Regards,
spadix
Old 14th February 2012, 07:57   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Try Com Paint. It is good and light on the wallet too. You may end up spending 400 INR for a kit and its worth it.

Aeroaids Corporation - Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint Manufacturers=
I bought this from Reliance Autozone some time ago to touch up my Civic's bumpers. The color was a 95% match, although if you look closely, you would notice the slight color difference. It is easy to spray too, but make sure you aren't spraying too close, or else you would end up with dripping paint. If that happens, wipe it off immediately and spray again.
Old 14th February 2012, 08:22   #2857
BHPian

Does anyone know if engine mount gets replaced free of charge under ''extended'' warranty?
Old 14th February 2012, 09:21   #2858
BANNED

Re: Alignment varying with load

Quote:
What I noticed was that I needed to keep the steering wheel turned ever so slightly (but not imperceptibly) to the right to make the car track true straight. This was surprising because we didn't hit any major potholes at all.
Most roads have a very slight camber so having to maintain a slight right bias is not unusual. However, it may still be worth it to get an alignment checkup.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 10:43   #2859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I bought this from Reliance Autozone some time ago to touch up my Civic's bumpers. The color was a 95% match, although if you look closely, you would notice the slight color difference. It is easy to spray too, but make sure you aren't spraying too close, or else you would end up with dripping paint. If that happens, wipe it off immediately and spray again.
Since how long you have been using it ? Any change in the colour ?

My cousin had brought the same COM-Paint (with finisher) & painted his Milky White Alto to a small portion of the front bumper. The paint did come out good, but after 3-4 months it was sore to look at the discolouration of the painted surface. The paint had turned into slight yellowish white (more like the OPTRA white).
My advice, Use COM-PAINT if your car colour is either BLACK or SILVER, the paint matches & stays, but for any other colour I wouldn't advice on COM-Paint as a replacement.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 11:01   #2860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Since how long you have been using it ? Any change in the colour ?

My cousin had brought the same COM-Paint (with finisher) & painted his Milky White Alto to a small portion of the front bumper. The paint did come out good, but after 3-4 months it was sore to look at the discolouration of the painted surface. The paint had turned into slight yellowish white (more like the OPTRA white).
My advice, Use COM-PAINT if your car colour is either BLACK or SILVER, the paint matches & stays, but for any other colour I wouldn't advice on COM-Paint as a replacement.
My civic's color is bluish silver. The bumpers had scratches on all four corners, with the left-front corner being the one with most scratches. Needless to say that it is this corner which took the bulk of the paint, and a slight difference in finish is noticeable, if you look hard. But better than the scratched look. On the other corners, it does not look like they were painted. BTW, I did not use the finisher. Don't remember the exact date, but it is more than 3 months now.

Last edited by civic-sense : 14th February 2012 at 11:06.
Old 14th February 2012, 11:02   #2861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Rightly said Jatin, I got all the four power window panels painted with metallic silver+lacquer (clear coat), costed me 750Rs at a reputed paint workshop. Fantastic paint work.

I too have silver switch casings on my civic which need to be repainted.

Can you please mention the paint brand, type and shade number?
Old 14th February 2012, 11:14   #2862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I too have silver switch casings on my civic which need to be repainted.

Can you please mention the paint brand, type and shade number?
It was Dupont if I remember correctly. I don't remember the type n shade number. I had changed the colour from original dark grey to Silver.
It looks better than the Stock. I don't have pics on handy now.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 13:41   #2863
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was mostly in the 80-95 kph (peak about 108) range. I was amazed to see the kpl indicator go up to 18.8 for quite some time, and stay at 18.7-18.8 for a considerable length of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
It is perfectly normal.I have got figures much above 20 KMPL
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Same for me, at those steady speeds (85 kmph), the Civic-AT gives astonishing FE (17+ kmpl).
At these speeds in fifth gear, the vtec is "on". So FE boosts up considerably. This is what I observe from the vtec indicator.

Quote:
There were 4 of us and there was some luggage, so you could say the car was almost fully loaded.

What I noticed was that I needed to keep the steering wheel turned ever so slightly
I have a feeling it is due to road camber. Otherwise the "alignment" would not have self corrected after the trip. Would be eager to know the alignment results if you go for it.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 14:30   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I agree its not a 100% match but better than a scratched surface that's devoid of paint. Also, I was not very comfortable with the spraying too and felt the pressure was slightly on the higher side. Further, after repeated usage, the canister started spitting paint (intermittent spurts) instead of spraying evenly. The best way I utilised the paint was to use an art brush and touch up small areas. Perhaps, one needs practice to become an expert at it.
Old 14th February 2012, 14:51   #2865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Most roads have a very slight camber so having to maintain a slight right bias is not unusual. However, it may still be worth it to get an alignment checkup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I have a feeling it is due to road camber. Otherwise the "alignment" would not have self corrected after the trip. Would be eager to know the alignment results if you go for it.
That seems most likely to be it, but I'll still get the suspension checked thoroughly anyway because even the load was different (compared to the NH24 run and of course my daily commute).

In other news, the right rear tyre suffered a puncture and I got it repaired today. I noticed it losing more air than the other tyres around 2 weeks back. This was just before the NH24 run. I didn't get the tyre attended to then and there were no issues during the 2 trips in the interim. Routine visual checks looked normal, but not today. So I got the pressure checked and got the tyre repaired.

The puncture repair shop guy drilled a small hole into the tyre, pulled out the nail, put some small chemical into the hole and smoothened it out. The original valve was replaced with a Dunlop valve on which they offered a 1 year guarantee. Total cost = 50 (puncture) + 150 (valve). I'll take pictures and post them here. The solution somehow looked too "ghetto" to me. I have no idea how tubeless tyre punctures are repaired.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed