Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 12:29   #3256
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Noticed two problems over the weekend drive to Tirupati.

One when suddenly hard braking from speeds of about 120 the car shuddered a little and it felt as if the brakes were struggling to bite. This did not happen if the braking was slow and smooth. Looks like as its mentioned above need to get the brake discs checked under warranty.
I have had this same issue of brake judder. The steering also vibrates slightly when this occurs. Noticed it on a long drive and got it checked at a Honda A.S.S en route. They attributed it to uneven disk wear and recommended skimmimg. There was also a faint whistling sound when brakes were applied if I remember correctly. Post skimming it has gone away but am waiting to see how it behaves on a long drive.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:32   #3257
BANNED

mayank & manim; Honda do not believe in fixing problems y repairs but of replacing the discs. You have to take a value judgement. In my view skimming or honing within limits (say 0.030" on each face) is perfectly fine.
Old 24th April 2012, 15:35   #3258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
mayank & manim; Honda do not believe in fixing problems y repairs but of replacing the discs. You have to take a value judgement. In my view skimming or honing within limits (say 0.030" on each face) is perfectly fine.
So, will skimming be done at the Honda Authorized Service Station?

If not, how to make sure that third-party skimming guarantees safety?
Old 24th April 2012, 15:52   #3259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
So, will skimming be done at the Honda Authorized Service Station?

If not, how to make sure that third-party skimming guarantees safety?
As far as i know, Honda A.S.S gets it done from their tie-ups with third party service providers. Skimming needs to be done on lathes which is not present in the service centres. Mine was done at Peninsular Honda in Calicut and touchwood no issues after that. Anyways the car is due for a service, will be asking the service advisor to check it again then.
Old 24th April 2012, 16:06   #3260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
As far as i know, Honda A.S.S gets it done from their tie-ups with third party service providers. Skimming needs to be done on lathes which is not present in the service centres. Mine was done at Peninsular Honda in Calicut and touchwood no issues after that. Anyways the car is due for a service, will be asking the service advisor to check it again then.
This is quite normal. Only in the west do you see special brake honing machines, which essentially only allow automated movement across the face, and thus discourage any movement in the other direction. However, the skill levels of the average lathe chap in India are far higher.
Old 24th April 2012, 16:44   #3261
Senior - BHPian

My car at 7K reading and six months old, wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

I remember warranty is 4 years and 80K kms, but not sure if disc brakes are covered under warranty or not?
Old 24th April 2012, 16:53   #3262
BHPian

Quote:
My car at 7K reading and six months old, wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

I remember warranty is 4 years and 80K kms, but not sure if disc brakes are covered under warranty or not?
That is a little too early for brake judder to start I think. You should definitely check with the Honda A.S.S. Mine started at around the 28K mark.
Old 24th April 2012, 19:36   #3263
BHPian

Quote:

From the warranty booklet:
Brake pads (I think also brake discs) are NOT covered under warranty.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:44   #3264
Senior - BHPian

Disk skimming can be done from a garage outside for about 600 all four. Whereas Honda would charge about 2k.
Also Brake pads of non oem make would be around 3500 for all four. And Honda am not sure about.
Its mainly the labour charge that makes it so expensive.
Old 24th April 2012, 20:55   #3265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Disk skimming can be done from a garage outside for about 600 all four. Whereas Honda would charge about 2k.
Also Brake pads of non oem make would be around 3500 for all four. And Honda am not sure about.
Its mainly the labour charge that makes it so expensive.
That's definitely cheaper, but how advisable would it be to get work done on such a critical component from an outside garage. I think I would prefer to have the Honda A.S.S arrange for skimming. A little better accountability I feel.
Old 25th April 2012, 00:58   #3266
Senior - BHPian

No way ! This seems to be a more common problem than I thought, eh?

I had brake judder from around 12K kms in my MT. All of you who have judder, feel the front discs with your fingers. Do they have undulations/unevenness ? Compare with the rear disc if you need to. Mine did.

I reported it. SA accepted it was strange for a 12K kms run MT. But suggested checking it out for some more time. I kept having the problem occasionally since high speeds in the city were a rarity. I used to have problems braking from 140-150 upwards.

Come 21-22K, I took it up again. This time with a bit more push. I wanted a warranty replacement. I was told Honda does not do it. Honda recommends skimming and replacement of pads (at owners cost). If the problem re-surfaces with a few months/few K kms again, then only would they replace the discs under warranty .. blah blah ...

So I said fine .. lets start the process. HASS took lots of measurements of the discs and pads and took snaps and sent a report to Honda. I was told I would get a formal e-mail report in 7 days. Nothing happened for 10 days. Called up HASS, who said Honda wants skimming to be done. I said fine, and I'll go ahead with it once I get the official report. I also lodged a complaint at Honda 1-on-1 about the delay in getting the report.

HASS suddenly calls me up the next day and says, sir we have got the go ahead to replace !! Please bring the car. I went the next day and they replaced the front discs and pads. (I have mentioned this in my ownership thread .. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-vm-t-20.html).

Not sure what exactly transpired. Since I did not ultimately get any e-mail. I do hope I got a new set

I tested it the week after with some varying high speeds (upto very high!) on the highway. But whatever it is that they did, brakes are lovely once more !! So I'm happy ...

edit: @mayank you should definitely push for warranty replacement if discs have problems @7K kms.

Last edited by shuvc : 25th April 2012 at 01:09.
shuvc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 07:21   #3267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
All of you who have judder, feel the front discs with your fingers. Do they have undulations/unevenness ? Compare with the rear disc if you need to. Mine did.

edit: @mayank you should definitely push for warranty replacement if discs have problems @7K kms.
Thanks @shuvc, i checked the discs this morning, they have very slight undulations, sort of like hairline. I could only feel it and cannot see it. Will surely contact the SA and push for replacement.

My guess is Discs should be normally covered under warranty, but as someone above said it does not seem to be so.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:54   #3268
BHPian

A piece of advice on disk skimming. I did that on my front disks some time ago. Recently when I had to leave the car unattended for 7 weeks, a thick layer of rust formed on it. Compared to that, the rear disks that were not skimmed didn't rust at all.

So once you skim, make sure you check the disks periodically for rust.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:04   #3269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense
A piece of advice on disk skimming. I did that on my front disks some time ago. Recently when I had to leave the car unattended for 7 weeks, a thick layer of rust formed on it. Compared to that, the rear disks that were not skimmed didn't rust at all.

That's quite an interesting observation. the quality of the steel should be same throughout right? Then why would a skimmed disc show rust while an unskimmed one is fine when the surface material remains same.
Old 25th April 2012, 11:16   #3270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Recently when I had to leave the car unattended for 7 weeks, a thick layer of rust formed on it. Compared to that, the rear disks that were not skimmed didn't rust at all.
I do not think the rust is a because of skimming, as i see a thin layer of rust in my Baleno as well (that too after overnight, or maybe a day of not driving). A thin layer of rust is to protect the metal, gets formed even when the discs are new.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks