Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2012, 14:28   #3496
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Thanks for the speedy response guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
- Does it happen only at 60 -70 kmph? What about braking from 90 kmph?
- Does it happen only when braking? What about just cruising at 60 - 70 kmph?
This happens at a minimum speed of 60- 70 kmph. The higher the speeds the more severe it is. Also this happens during braking only. There is absolutely no juddering during cruising or even hard acceleration. As far as visual inspection is concerned, the alloys look to be in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
I was facing exactly this problem and have been able to solve it by skimming the disks and changing the brake pads.

Before you do this please ensure that your tyres are in good shape, wheel balancing and alignment is perfect. If yes, just follow the above and your problem will be solved.
We have just put new Michelin Primacy LC tires 2 months back. The alignment and wheel balancing is good enough. Funny thing is that the stopping distance is good enough and brakes still have some 'bite' in them. The SA also told that the brakes were fine. I think I should let him have a second look at the brakes now.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:31   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
The SA also told that the brakes were fine. I think I should let him have a second look at the brakes now.

If the pads have some life left then it has to be your disks. How old are they? Have you ever skimmed them?
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 15:46   #3498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crux
This happens at a minimum speed of 60- 70 kmph. The higher the speeds the more severe it is. Also this happens during braking only. There is absolutely no juddering during cruising or even hard acceleration.
Warping of discs seems to be the culprit here. For me this went away with skimming of the discs. If the discs are warped, more the speed the more severe the judder will be. Am surprised your SA did not even consider this especially as you car has run 1 lakh plus km. Should have been one of the first items to be checked in my view.
Arun Venugopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 16:49   #3499
Senior - BHPian

@Crux how much did you pay for the steering pump.Ideally i would suggest going to another HASS since this seems to be a case of wrong diagnosis of the problem which could have been deliberate to make money or simple incompetence.In either case try looking for another HASS and get a second opinion from them.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 17:55   #3500
BHPian

1,10,000 kms service

1,10,000 kms service over.
Within 49 days, my shortest time between two services, reason was my Goa trip of 2,750 kms within a week in May.

I expected front-brake-pads change, but to my surprise found it would last 5K more.
And I have done 70K already with it, impressive huh?!

Costs (inc. taxes):
Synthetic-oil - 3,255
Oil-filter - 202
Washer - 21
Labour - 1,022
balancing (2.nos) - 225

Total - Rs.4,725

On the 142 kms drive after the service, it was silky-smooooth as usual!

Last edited by manim : 28th June 2012 at 18:05.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 18:25   #3501
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1,10,000 kms service

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
1,10,000 kms service over.
Manim, your Civic is inspiration for all the other Civics on the forum and of course you, on how to maintain the car.

Waiting for many more updated from you. All the best.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 20:59   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Warping of discs seems to be the culprit here. For me this went away with skimming of the discs. If the discs are warped, more the speed the more severe the judder will be. Am surprised your SA did not even consider this especially as you car has run 1 lakh plus km. Should have been one of the first items to be checked in my view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
@Crux how much did you pay for the steering pump.Ideally i would suggest going to another HASS since this seems to be a case of wrong diagnosis of the problem which could have been deliberate to make money or simple incompetence.In either case try looking for another HASS and get a second opinion from them.
Just to clear things up..
I checked it up and saw that I did have the brake discs skimmed around 2 services back. Also just before the last service, I had complained of the steering being heavier than normal, along with the steering wheel juddering after braking from high speeds.
The service centre attributed the heavy steering to a leak that had developed in the steering pump. I presume since they had skimmed the brakes in the service prior to this one, they must have attributed the juddering issue to the leak in the steering pump. The juddering did go away for some some time, though it seems to have resurfaced again!
Anyways we'll be giving the car to the service centre for this issue some time soon. I'll report back as soon as possible.
Old 29th June 2012, 20:30   #3503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
At the time of purchase I did not know there was a head job done. Mechanic told that the head may have cracked due to driving without coolant as there was engine oil in radiator (by the previous owner).
Dear devsoftech,i think you should have shown the car to a competent mechanic before going ahead with the purchase.But what's done is done.Are you going to retain this car for a long time.Instead of reparing for a huge sum maybe you could take a hit and sell it off and look for another civic.God knows what problems the repaired head would create in the long run.

Keep us posted on the car.

Good Luck.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 19:15   #3504
Senior - BHPian

Guys i serioulsy need advice from you. My Civic met with a accident.I am still shaken as i am typing this.Me and my friend were tarvelling on the western express highway and i was driving in the second most lane to the right.A truck comes from the right side and accelerates inspite of traffic in his lane.The vehiciles in the front of the slow down and the truck which to aviod a collision swerves into my lane in my path.I manage to avoid crashing the front into the truck but somehow end by with the truck swiping my rear right door and the fender.We pull over to the left side while he truck driver does not bother stopping.The good thing was that no was hurt but the bad news i am going to need a new rear right door.

I have shown my car to Apex honda and they say max total work will cost 25-30K.I went to independant work shop they have quoted max 20K.Now here is my problem.My insurance which is Future Generali expires tomorrow 1 july 2012 and the new one SBI general starts from July 2.
Apex honda says they do not have a tie up with SBI and that i would have to deal with insurance guys myself.The independant workshop says
that if decide to pay the work for myslef it will be better in the long term.The door cost 15K as confirmed both by Apex and the workshop guy
and he says i will get max 50% off the price.But this will cost me the NCB the next year.I am not sure about whether i should get the door fixed myslef and bear the entire cost of 20K as quoted by the independant workshop and save on my NCB or shall i get the insurance co involved.In case of the insurance co i am not sure whether to approach Future Generali or SBI.
Also i have not filed a FIR anywhere as of now.Shall i inform SBI that there has been a accident before their policy even starts.

Please guide me

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th June 2012 at 19:21.
Old 30th June 2012, 21:43   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
This could be the routine maintenance activity of applying petroleum-jelly to the battery contacts, a good thing.

I don't know about the smell though.
Thanks Manim.Still cant spot a reason for burning smell.Service guys could n't figure out either.There are no signs of leaks anywhere. Am beginning to Wonder whether the Engine Oil is due for change due to the punishment the car was subjected to during My Bangalore Gir Udaipur trip?Car runs on synthetic Oil which was last changed during 40 K service.
Old 1st July 2012, 01:09   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys i serioulsy need advice from you. My Civic met with a accident.I am still shaken as i am typing this.Me and my friend were tarvelling on the western express highway and i was driving in the second most lane to the right.A truck comes from the right side and accelerates inspite of traffic in his lane.The vehiciles in the front of the slow down and the truck which to aviod a collision swerves into my lane in my path.I manage to avoid crashing the front into the truck but somehow end by with the truck swiping my rear right door and the fender.We pull over to the left side while he truck driver does not bother stopping.The good thing was that no was hurt but the bad news i am going to need a new rear right door.

I have shown my car to Apex honda and they say max total work will cost 25-30K.I went to independant work shop they have quoted max 20K.Now here is my problem.My insurance which is Future Generali expires tomorrow 1 july 2012 and the new one SBI general starts from July 2.
Apex honda says they do not have a tie up with SBI and that i would have to deal with insurance guys myself.The independant workshop says
that if decide to pay the work for myslef it will be better in the long term.The door cost 15K as confirmed both by Apex and the workshop guy
and he says i will get max 50% off the price.But this will cost me the NCB the next year.I am not sure about whether i should get the door fixed myslef and bear the entire cost of 20K as quoted by the independant workshop and save on my NCB or shall i get the insurance co involved.In case of the insurance co i am not sure whether to approach Future Generali or SBI.
Also i have not filed a FIR anywhere as of now.Shall i inform SBI that there has been a accident before their policy even starts.

Please guide me

thanks

Well Firstly you should calculate how much is the NCB on the car. If its more than 20k then dont go for insurance and if less then 20k then only it makes sense to go via insurance root.

You get 100% of the value for the metal parts 75% i think for paint and 50% for platic and rubber parts.

I think Linkway Honda does deal with SBI insurance as had seen there board in linkway.

if same had happened to me i would had seen how much NCB i am loosing out on and then depending if the repair amount is more than NCB then i would had gone with insurance and Via Honda A.S.S cause they give 6months warranty of the metal plastic and paint work they do, which in case of independent garages is lil problematic and also Paint matching is perfect since they have exact color codes and also you will get the Original Honda door cheaper and faster inside Honda A.S.S as compared to outside vendors.

Now since your car got damaged today that is 30th and your policy gets over tomorrow that is 1st hence you dont need to notify SBI as the damage took place before the new policy was started that is on 2nd of july.

you might require an FIR but for that only Linkway or Apex or Independent garage guys might be able to clear things for you or your insurance company.

hope it helps.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 07:45   #3507

Hi All,
I am new TBHP member and would like to seek advice on getting a used Honda as my first car.

Considering I am new to cars and am currently learning to drive please help me on this.
My Expectations with the car-
1. Fun to drive, pickup and power is important.
2. Reliable and Low maintainence.
3. Monthly avg run: 500-700km approx. (would be using for office commuting and weekend trips in and around Mumbai)
4. Petrol is fine, am happy with mileage around 10-12kmpl.
5. Good interiors and decent rear leagroom and boot.
7. (optional) Safety features ABS+airbags
6. Driving city: in and around Mumbai

I have been researching for long amongst hatchback and sedan cars and considered the following (Budget around 2Lakhs)
1. Fiat Palio 1.6- solid & cheap but very bad service network as per reviews
2. Skoda Octavia 2.0 MPI or RSTurbo - excellent ride and loaded with features but extremely expensive A.S.S and somewhat overshoot my budget
3. OHC VTEC 1.5 2002 model - scores on all the above requirement, in my budget - my choice
4. Maruti Baleno - decent choice as per requirements, but loses to OHC
5. Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 or 1.6 - again can be a decent choice

All the above cars except for OHC VTECH, are available in the user car market with about 40-50K kms and 2004-2006 models. OHC VTECH and a few Palios are 2002 versions with again 50-70K kms.

I personally would like to go with Honda for it gives me all - great driving pleasure, solid engine, decent mileage & excellent reliability (considering its Honda). Only this I am unsure is its running costs over 2-3 years where I intend to do about 10-12K kms/year. I can get it cheap for about 1.5-1.7 lakhs(looking at some ads on TBHP & carwale) but would not like to get into maintainence issues and spending significant over 2-3 years.

Used 2002 Honda City Old 1.5 EXi (D324171) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale
Used 2001 Honda City Old 1.5 EXi (D356172) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale

Please advise if I am thinking this correctly or any other of the above cars can fit in well and reconsidered. Your help is greatly appreciated.

On a second thought one of my friends advised me to increase my budget to 4Lakhs and go for a Honda Civic S MT 2006-2007 version as there are some tempting deals as below. I might consider increasing the budget for a civic since it satisfies all my requirements, gives me a lot more features, has stunning looks, is a Honda and ofcourse gives a grand luxury feel. Only thing again bothers me is what would be the maintainence cost over 3-5 years if I get a 50K run car.

Used 2007 Honda Civic 1.8S MT (S174155) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale
Used 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S MT (S305769) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale

Is this worth a shot?

Thanks in Advance,
Vinay

P.S. Mods I know my question is not absolutely related to the topic but considering my desire and query for Civic (also OHC) I found this thread to be a good place to post my query.
Old 1st July 2012, 10:36   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimaate View Post
Hi All,
I am new TBHP member and would like to seek advice on getting a used Honda as my first car.

Considering I am new to cars and am currently learning to drive please help me on this.
My Expectations with the car-
1. Fun to drive, pickup and power is important.
2. Reliable and Low maintainence.
3. Monthly avg run: 500-700km approx. (would be using for office commuting and weekend trips in and around Mumbai)
4. Petrol is fine, am happy with mileage around 10-12kmpl.
5. Good interiors and decent rear leagroom and boot.
7. (optional) Safety features ABS+airbags
6. Driving city: in and around Mumbai

I have been researching for long amongst hatchback and sedan cars and considered the following (Budget around 2Lakhs)
1. Fiat Palio 1.6- solid & cheap but very bad service network as per reviews
2. Skoda Octavia 2.0 MPI or RSTurbo - excellent ride and loaded with features but extremely expensive A.S.S and somewhat overshoot my budget
3. OHC VTEC 1.5 2002 model - scores on all the above requirement, in my budget - my choice
4. Maruti Baleno - decent choice as per requirements, but loses to OHC
5. Chevrolet Aveo 1.4 or 1.6 - again can be a decent choice

All the above cars except for OHC VTECH, are available in the user car market with about 40-50K kms and 2004-2006 models. OHC VTECH and a few Palios are 2002 versions with again 50-70K kms.

I personally would like to go with Honda for it gives me all - great driving pleasure, solid engine, decent mileage & excellent reliability (considering its Honda). Only this I am unsure is its running costs over 2-3 years where I intend to do about 10-12K kms/year. I can get it cheap for about 1.5-1.7 lakhs(looking at some ads on TBHP & carwale) but would not like to get into maintainence issues and spending significant over 2-3 years.

Used 2002 Honda City Old 1.5 EXi (D324171) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale
Used 2001 Honda City Old 1.5 EXi (D356172) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale

Please advise if I am thinking this correctly or any other of the above cars can fit in well and reconsidered. Your help is greatly appreciated.

On a second thought one of my friends advised me to increase my budget to 4Lakhs and go for a Honda Civic S MT 2006-2007 version as there are some tempting deals as below. I might consider increasing the budget for a civic since it satisfies all my requirements, gives me a lot more features, has stunning looks, is a Honda and ofcourse gives a grand luxury feel. Only thing again bothers me is what would be the maintainence cost over 3-5 years if I get a 50K run car.

Used 2007 Honda Civic 1.8S MT (S174155) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale
Used 2006 Honda Civic 1.8S MT (S305769) for sale in Mumbai - CarWale

Is this worth a shot?

Thanks in Advance,
Vinay

P.S. Mods I know my question is not absolutely related to the topic but considering my desire and query for Civic (also OHC) I found this thread to be a good place to post my query.
Hi Vinay,

Welcome to Team-BHP.

Take a look at top end of Jazz as well.It is a very good option as a first car especially after price cut that happened sometime ago.

Cheers.

Last edited by ramanak : 1st July 2012 at 10:40.
Old 1st July 2012, 17:53   #3509
Senior - BHPian

Try to avoid pre 2008 models as there are more prone to the notorious engine mount issue.If you must go for a pre 08 model then make sure you have evidence that the mount was changed by the previous owner.Else it's a start 9k drain on the wallet.
Old 1st July 2012, 20:59   #3510
BHPian

My lemony CIVIC was resurrected today.

Images of the replaced header parts

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-575803_10151035832146421_1559789002_n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-557177_10151035834251421_1020062466_n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-544587_10151035834451421_643707373_n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-534720_10151035833946421_565499777_n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-392877_10151035833591421_1394957188_n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-391475_10151035833021421_985693893_n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-306682_10151035833271421_924290123_n.jpg

Name:  invoice.png
Views: 6800
Size:  42.2 KB

Giving these old parts to the scrap wala. Mild earthquake of 35k to settle all this.
Will report on FE/performance changes after a week of run.
devsoftech is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks