Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 18:10   #3571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak

Measure fuel consumption using Tankful method using the same petrol pump (Find a pump like Shell that does not cheat you in Volume).Don't go by Units in Fuel gauge.Check the mileage preferably after Engine oil change on highway driving in day time with a constant speed of 80 KMPH without sudden acceleration or braking without AC.That should give you the optimistic mileage picture.Then do the same in City driving conditions with full AC.That should give you the lower limit of mileage.Then you know the Fuel efficiency band within which your car would operate.If the most optimistic figure is below 13/14 KMPL, get your car checked.My 2010 AT has given me 27 KMPL (Check previous posts for Photo proof) on a Fuel Efficiency test run.On normal driving in Highways (100 -110 KMPH speeds),I get 13/14 KMPL.

Cheers.
I'll get the engine oil changed this sunday when i go for the steering work.
I'll ask the guy there to check my car.

Can you give me some tips for better fuel efficiency ?

Although i keep things like sudden braking and sudden acceleration in mind while driving but yes i drive bit to fast

Thanks
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 07:27   #3572
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I'll get the engine oil changed this sunday when i go for the steering work. I'll ask the guy there to check my car.

Although i keep things like sudden braking and sudden acceleration in mind while driving but yes i drive bit to fast

Thanks
Don't worry too much about mileage.Be happy with 10-11 KMPL and enjoy the Civic by driving her the way she is meant to be driven.Lots of factors affect mileage...Like Load,A/C,Speed,Tyre Size (My car is on Stock Bridgestone) and condition,Tyre pressure (I use 32 PSI for Highway run) ,Switching to 'N' at Traffic Signal and of course Acceleration/Braking (See Dot's post on R18 I-Vtec test for information on how Civic's I-Vtec kicks in). AT can give unbelievable mileages at speeds of 65-80 KMPH in 5th Gear at 1000-1500 RPM.But then you will get tired of driving like that and very soon you will get back to normal ways.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 09:26   #3573
BANNED

@ramanak is absolutely correct. Driving back from Agra and sticking to 85-95kph (forced to by the traffic) on the NH2 I averaged 17.6kpl (this is full tank to full tank). With a gearing of 50kph /1000 rpm I was in the optimal sub 2000 rpm band most of the time. The kpl indicator was showing as high as 18.7 so I was intrigued and so tanked up immediately on my return.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:36   #3574
BHPian

Quote:

Don't worry too much about mileage.Be happy with 10-11 KMPL and enjoy the Civic by driving her the way she is meant to be driven.Lots of factors affect mileage...Like Load,A/C,Speed,Tyre Size (My car is on Stock Bridgestone) and condition,Tyre pressure (I use 32 PSI for Highway run) ,Switching to 'N' at Traffic Signal and of course Acceleration/Braking (See Dot's post on R18 I-Vtec test for information on how Civic's I-Vtec kicks in). AT can give unbelievable mileages at speeds of 65-80 KMPH in 5th Gear at 1000-1500 RPM.But then you will get tired of driving like that and very soon you will get back to normal ways.
Thanks for the reply Ramanak.

I guess I'll get my car checked throughly once and then start using it as my mainstream car.

The car is on stock sized Appolos, with tire pressure 32 PSI.
I drive only in the city and there is no highway running at all.
In this delhi heat, the AC is always turned on.
I cant really mention about the average speed.
I'll range somewhere around 50-70 kmph.
There are times when i take the car above 100 as well on empty stretches.
Civic for sure is a drivers car

I take the car for regular servicing at Ring Road Honda peeragari, although i am not at all satisfied with them. Every time i take my car to them, it will be driving fine but when i give it to them, either they'll give me a call that sir we have encountered with a issue with your car and it needs a part replacement.
The average bill i pay for servicing is around 20 k.

Thats why i was asking if someone from delhi could guide me to a honest and genuine Service Centre.

No replies on the duplicate key as well ?
Does anyone know, where can i get one made for my car ?
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 11:00   #3575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thats why i was asking if someone from delhi could guide me to a honest and genuine Service Centre.

No replies on the duplicate key as well ?
Does anyone know, where can i get one made for my car ?
20k for servicing ! That's atrocious. You are better off staying away from this service center.

Well, looks like the two of us are sailing in the same boat w.r.t the duplicate key. In my case, I placed an order way back in Feb and am yet to get a duplicate key. To cut a long story short, after so much of haggling, the key arrived but was not the one to fit my car. The service center claims that the key code given on my warranty booklet is not right and hence the duplicate key sent by Honda does not match my car.

Honda accepts its a mistake from their end and is ready to change the entire lock assembly on the car free of cost. However, this does not solve my problem as what I was looking for is to have two keys with remote for my Civic just like how it is for most of the other cars.

I suggest you reach out to the service center and give your key code for them to procure a duplicate key. I understand that the key for the Civic cannot be easlily made outside and since it has an immobilizer built in, this complicates the issue further.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:15   #3576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
20k for servicing ! That's atrocious. You are better off staying away from this service center.
@Satyamkaushik-Manim's AT Civic has a 1 lakh plus Mileage too.Check out his service costs in an earlier post for an idea on what the costs should actually be.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:25   #3577
BHPian

Quote:

@Satyamkaushik-Manim's AT Civic has a 1 lakh plus Mileage too.Check out his service costs in an earlier post for an idea on what the costs should actually be.
On the move and cannot type in detail from my mobile so will reply after four days.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:35   #3578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks.
The representative at honda gave me a quote of Rs.8000 for just the key.
Its it a bit too high ?
Can someone suggest me with an alternative ?
Did not get to see this earlier. When my duplicate key arrived, I was told by the service advisor that the cost has come to circa 3.5k. Not sure how you were quoted 8k.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:32   #3579
BHPian

Quote:

Well, looks like the two of us are sailing in the same boat w.r.t the duplicate key. In my case, I placed an order way back in Feb and am yet to get a duplicate key. To cut a long story short, after so much of haggling, the key arrived but was not the one to fit my car. The service center claims that the key code given on my warranty booklet is not right and hence the duplicate key sent by Honda does not match my car.

Honda accepts its a mistake from their end and is ready to change the entire lock assembly on the car free of cost. However, this does not solve my problem as what I was looking for is to have two keys with remote for my Civic just like how it is for most of the other cars.

I suggest you reach out to the service center and give your key code for them to procure a duplicate key. I understand that the key for the Civic cannot be easlily made outside and since it has an immobilizer built in, this complicates the issue further.
That's exactly what i think, 20k for a routine service job where you unnecessarily change parts on my car is something really unethical.
something need to be done for Ring Road Honda Peeragari.

Someone else out here suffering from the same at RRH Peeragari ?

As far as the the duplicate key is concerned, i already got my lockset changed once so the code on my booklet is for the previous key, plus i done have any code for the lockset which was changed.
So that's another issue my my key :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
I'll surely go through it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
On the move and cannot type in detail from my mobile so will reply after four days.
No issues mate, take your own time.
but do let me know how to maintain a Honda with 100K on the odo.

Quote:
Did not get to see this earlier. When my duplicate key arrived, I was told by the service advisor that the cost has come to circa 3.5k. Not sure how you were quoted 8k.
See i told you, there is certainly something wrong with Ring Road Honda Peeragari.
8k was the exact amount quoted by the service adviser to me last week.

Something need to be done here.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:32   #3580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I really hope that it's a small issue and only needs topping up.But i have read elsewhere that PS fluid is not something that can get used up as say engine oil which can reduce in quantity while inside the engine.It's suppose to stay topped up and if it's low then it probably means that there is a leak or something.

I have not noticed any oil stains etc inside the engine bay near the PS container or below the engine on the ground.I will check again tomorrow for oil stains under the car.Power Steering is something new to me as i have never owned a car with a PS before so i guess this is somthing that slipped by me when i do a monthly check under the hood.
Gave the car to Solitaire Honda today.Showed the low fluid problem to him. On inspection he noticed the belt has become sticky probably due to the leakage.He mentioned that the assembly for power steering needed to be ovehauled and repaired or replaced.For replace it would have been 50K and for repair 14K as of now.

I have decided to go the repair way but he said that he will get back to me with a proper diagnosis and estimate.So would come to know by afternoon how much damage i would have to sustain.There would be warranty of 6 months and 5000 kms from them.Car would need 3 days in the workshop and he would go ahead once i confirm he can proceed with the work.

Honda Reliablity ha.Can't believe that i am getting the HPS overhauled at just 39K. I had plans to keep this car for 10 years atleast.Seems that may be get a bit difficult.Top of it i haven't even driven the car so much.Bought it at ~37K. Selling iit off would mean a blow of 1-2 lacs.
Old 28th July 2012, 12:33   #3581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gave the car to Solitaire Honda today.Showed the low fluid problem to him. On inspection he noticed the belt has become sticky probably due to the leakage.He mentioned that the assembly for power steering needed to be ovehauled and repaired or replaced.For replace it would have been 50K and for repair 14K as of now.

I have decided to go the repair way but he said that he will get back to me with a proper diagnosis and estimate.So would come to know by afternoon how much damage i would have to sustain.There would be warranty of 6 months and 5000 kms from them.Car would need 3 days in the workshop and he would go ahead once i confirm he can proceed with the work.

Honda Reliablity ha.Can't believe that i am getting the HPS overhauled at just 39K. I had plans to keep this car for 10 years atleast.Seems that may be get a bit difficult.Top of it i haven't even driven the car so much.Bought it at ~37K. Selling iit off would mean a blow of 1-2 lacs.

The bad news continues for me.The power steering pump and rack both have a leak while the PS has a major leak the rack has a minor one.For PS 10.5 K + tax and for the rack 12.5K + tax.Total damage for 'now' is ~25K including std service.And that's not the end.My car has been diagnosed
with the below.

Weak Suspension
Minor boot cuts (5k)
Play in the ball joints
Sound from front wheel bearings(~18K)
Weak Battery
Remote key not functioning

Honda anyone..is it my bad luck..i have driven this car less than 3K and am being faced with so many problems.Don't think i will be able to make it last for the next 10 years.It will bleed me dry of my hard earned money.
Old 28th July 2012, 21:23   #3582
BHPian

Weak suspension, what is the exact diagnosis ?

I mean what are the components of the suspension which they claim to be have gone weak?

Weak battery is okay considering the battery is OEM battery which is 5years old, this weak battery will last you for more 2months at-least.

Remote key problem is quite common is key is not used carefully by previous owner,
A good good Dab of wd40 and new battery refreshes the key properly and it works perfectly atleast mine is working perfectly since last one year.

Civics suspension specially the old civics suspension is little delicate and if not used with care it does give issues and if driven carefully then no issues till at-least 60-70k mark.

And regarding resale, you will at the max get 4-5L for it since 07 single owner civics go for 5.5L
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2012, 11:25   #3583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Weak suspension....
...And regarding resale, you will at the max get 4-5L for it since 07 single owner civics go for 5.5L
Jatin buddy i am not sure what he meant by weak suspension but i am asuming he was talking about the ball joints which have play in them as per the service report.As of now i do not plan to immediately give the car for the suspension work as i would like to get second opinion etc from somewhere else and also the current job is going to drain my finanacial resources.

Actually i am a bit apprehensive about giving crtical work to independant work shops as i have a bad experience with my 800 when i gave it to Milan motors as Santacruz (close to the play garden and SNDT college) where they replaced the entire front suspension with non oem parts which made the steering hard.Every time i get behind the wheel of the 800 i rue the decision for giving the car to them as the steering wheel for such a light car has become very heavy to turn.

As for Solitaire, the car was making frightfully loud noises when i was turning the steering especially lock to lock hence i decided not to risk such a critical component further and decide to get it done there itslelf even it meant a hefty dent in my pocket.I doubt i will go back to soliatire at andheri atleast again.Would get the issues fixed over a period of time say after the next 6 months.

Going back to my accident.(posted here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2825469)

I remember distinctively as i was driving that day the steering felt a tad bit heavier than usual and i attributed the same to low tyre pressure and continued driving.Maybe the accident was just meant to happen but i feel if i had got the PS issue checked before i could have avioded the mishap.I remember when the truck came up on me on my side i had turned the wheel to aviod it but the car did not turn the amount it should have normally.May be i am just being paranoid now .Is it possible that low PS can cause increased steering effort ie the no of times you turn the wheel increases ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I also think that after you top-up in yours, you can 'fill-it/shut-it/forget-it'!
Manim sir unfortunately for me i cannot fill it/shut it/forget it.I suggest that you check out the pump belt and see if it feels sticky.If it does then its from the oil.
Old 30th July 2012, 16:40   #3584
Senior - BHPian

any idea, on the throw of the fog lamps for post 09 models? Am talking about the OEI ones, and i rarely get the throw for more than couple of meters :(.
Though it offers good lighting towards both the side and turning is an easy affair at night with the fogs. But the front line visibility offered by the fogs alone has been disappointing.
Old 30th July 2012, 19:48   #3585
BHPian

Quote:
The odo in mine is now at 1,12,402 kms (1.8S-AT 2007).

The Civic-AT will give insane FE based on driving techniques on highways (one reason is the tall 5th gear).
I regularly get 13 ~ 17 kmpl on the highways at steady speeds between 85 ~ 95 kmph with little braking.
I do not do much City driving but I get very poor FE inside city, around 9+ kmpl only.

You can browse this thread from the start for many more tips, (if you have the patience and the time for this very long thread!)

Quote:
Every time i take my car to them, it will be driving fine but when i give it to them, either they'll give me a call that sir we have encountered with a issue with your car and it needs a part replacement.
All my services after 40K with the exact amounts I paid are here in this thread.
My experience is that it takes very less to maintain a Honda, so I think you are getting ripped off.
I have never replaced any major-part in '1+lakh kms/5 years' except for the front brake rotors which anyway is a wear-and-tear item.

I am a friendly customer at the Madurai TVSundaram-Honda(TVS) dealer for more than eleven years (my previous car was a 1999 Honda-City), so they 'will-not/cannot' cheat me!

Quote:
He mentioned that the assembly for power steering needed to be ovehauled and repaired or replaced.For replace it would have been 50K and for repair 14K as of now.

Very sorry to hear this, I have always been very proud of owning a Honda, and my experience thus far has been good.
I too plan to hold this car for 10 years/2 lakh kms, and so far it is 'par for the course'.

Quote:
The bad news continues for me.The power steering pump and rack both have a leak while the PS has a major leak the rack has a minor one.For PS 10.5 K + tax and for the rack 12.5K + tax.Total damage for 'now' is ~25K including std service.And that's not the end.My car has been diagnosed
with the below.

Weak Suspension
Minor boot cuts (5k)
Play in the ball joints
Sound from front wheel bearings(~18K)
Weak Battery
Remote key not functioning

Honda anyone..is it my bad luck..i have driven this car less than 3K and am being faced with so many problems.Don't think i will be able to make it last for the next 10 years.It will bleed me dry of my hard earned money.
But, can you find out Why did this all happen?
I don't think it happened 'randomly'.
I think yours was pre-owned, so maybe the car was abused earlier?

Last edited by manim : 30th July 2012 at 19:51.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks