Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:02   #3601
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
When I said Honda's are not cheap (or reliable for that matter) I was not comparing the Civic to a Swift.

But having both a swift and a civic I am taking the liberty to compare both of them.

Since the swift had done only 40K, I'll compare the costs of maintaining the Civic and Swift till 40K - Swift was twice expensive to maintain.

Now my Civic is at 80K, but even now it has not costed more to maintain than what it costed for swift till now. You can check back a few thousand posts in this very thread were I put in the figures too.
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:42   #3602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
PS problem
sumeethaldankar, I have been thinking about your problem and would like to know why it happened. Was the car modified for MusicSystem/Headlights/Horn, etc? (because this could have caused some inadvertent/unknown damage to the wires/electronics earlier?)

This is from my own experience with my previous 1999 Honda City 1.5 which started having various problems after its seventh year because of various modifications I had made earlier.

My present Civic is 100% stock, I have not even put sun-film since that would entail removing the door-pads, which would then start rattling in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
as mentioned by manim that he barely does city rides (where the main wear and tear happens) and its mostly driving (economically) on the highways in the 80-100 KMPH zone.
Fully agreed, this in the main reason mine still feels new!

But, I have also gone up the Nilgiris mountains 72 times in five years (my children study there) which will increase wear-and-tear more than city driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I'll compare the costs of maintaining the Civic and Swift till 40K - Swift was twice expensive to maintain.

Now my Civic is at 80K, but even now it has not costed more to maintain than what it costed for swift till now.
Same here, so far for me, maintenance was relatively low compared to other lower priced cars.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:58   #3603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim
My present Civic is 100% stock, I have not even put sun-film since that would entail removing the door-pads, which would then start rattling in the future.

maintenance was relatively low compared to other lower priced cars.
Manim, I love the way you have kept and maintained your Civic. I also plan to keep my future cars in stock condition including my Polo HL which is in almost stock condition except rear parking sensors.

Today, my Civic is celebrating its 6th birthday. I got it on 2nd August, 2006. So far, it has covered 70k kms. but it still feels so good to drive it. I am glad for my decision to buy it.
mukeshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:05   #3604
BANNED

A lot depends on the Jokers you are dealing with. By and large the Honda chaps are better than those of others. So far my Civic has been far cheaper to service than my earlier Accent.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:29   #3605
BHPian

I truely agree too sgtiks point, as I also mentioned earlier it also majorly depends on who or which service center has maintained the car.

I have seen civic which was suffering from poor poor acceleration and fe of 3kmpl the reason was the engine was clogged due to sludge since the owner didn bother changing the oil even at 10kms he changed the oil only once in his 60k kms use of the car.

Later on he reubild the engine and sold the car.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:31   #3606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
sumeethaldankar, I have been thinking about your problem and would like to know why it happened. Was the car modified for MusicSystem/Headlights/Horn, etc?
I really don't have such mods done to the car but i did upsize my tyres to Bridgestone 205/65/R15 from the std 195/65/R15. This size was recommended by bhpians and i just followed suit to enjoy the benefit of wider footprint and slightly taller ground clearance.

Is it possible the wider tyres caused undue stress on my Power steering components and stuff like wheel bearings etc.I find it unlikely but with my kind of luck anything is possible? .
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:53   #3607
BHPian

@sumeet

the upgrade of tires which you did is in the limits so dont worry,
the problem is something else like discussed and mentioned earlier.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:14   #3608
BANNED

If the Civic is pulled out we may all have spares issues.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...f-india-2.html
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:57   #3609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
In the near term we should be all right, but 4-5 years down the line we can expect spare parts availability issues. The saving grace is that this model is popular in east Asian markets so we do have some hope there. Also, Honda should be supporting the model for 2-3 years at least if not more.

On a side note, the already nosediving resale rate will further sink with this announcement.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:59   #3610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Well they discontinued the OHC and the NHC long ago and i guess there are no issues for spares for them as they still sell well in the user car markets and keep their owners happy.After markets parts are abundant i guess only case of critical components like ECU etc may be a issue to source.
Old 3rd August 2012, 21:30   #3611
BHPian

If hydraulic power steering system has a fault, why not experiment with a full electric power steering replacement (should cost 25-30k). It should be maintenance free for remaining life. Should help in FE, all associated rattles and clatters will die. I'm in with some pointers from you guys.

Last edited by devsoftech : 3rd August 2012 at 21:33.
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:41   #3612
Senior - BHPian

I hear a slight kit-kit-kit-kit sound when the steering is turned lock to lock - towards the extreme ends. This is audible when I turn the wheels at standstill or parking speeds.

What are the possible causes?
Old 4th August 2012, 09:03   #3613
dot
Senior - BHPian

Guys, sorry I have been away for long time due to relocation issues.

So it has finally happened. And it is not the next gen that is going to put a lid on the 8th Civic in India. Its just going to be gone.

As current owners of the vehicle, I think it is a golden chance to keep a legend. Spare parts availability would never be a issue for a world car like this. Yes time of availability could be a factor. But ask any Lancer or 1100 enthusiast is he unduly worried about spare parts?

In my new place, I see both the 8th and the 9th Civic on the road. No car comes close to 8th Civic's style factor.

Finally, I guess this thread will continue to grow in importance as arrow of time moves on.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 09:23   #3614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Last evening, out of the blue, the driver side window went up in a crossed fashion and got stuck. I managed to push it to the right side and closed the window.

This morning I took the car to Whitefield Honda (Bangalore).

The service engineer just called me and told me that the motor that operates the window has gone bad and that it will cost Rs. 13,000 to get a new one !

I have never driven the car with windows open, the car has run about 36,000 kms, but I normally use the driver side window often (to swipe my card).

The vehicle just completed its 35K servicing last month.

Any thoughts? Did anyone else face this type of problem before?

Thanks.
Attaching a photo of the window glass mehcanism that I replaced:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-pc295951.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 12:10   #3615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Attaching a photo of the window glass mehcanism that I replaced.

Did anyone else face this type of problem before?
Never had any problems so far, anyway thanks for the photo showing the innards of the Civic. Hope I never get to see mine ever!
manim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed