Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2012, 13:05   #3616
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sumeet

I would strongly advice you to get the pipe repaired asap after the car comes from solitaire as due to leakage in pipe it will again result in power steering system getting irregular fluid pressure and hence it might leak again.
I got the high pressure pipe which was reported leaking changed from my trusted garage Nakita motors headed be Joe.The cost of the pipe at HASS was 10K + additional labor and tax. At Joe's i got everything done at 7k.The cost of the pipe was 5200 (made in Thailand).

I know you had suggested Pai motors Jatin but it's just that i had a good rapport with Joe so i first went to get his suggestion without actually intenting to get anywork done but ended up getting it fixed when Joe confirmed the high pressure pipe (located toward the back of the engine) was indeed leaking.So that's 4-5 K saved over the cost of a HASS.Thank you Jatin for your advice and concern.Drove the car for a decent 40-50 Kms on the western express highway.I found the steering getting slightly heavy at higher spees which i guess is how it's supposed to be.Came back home to check the fluid level and found it was constant to where it was topped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
The bad news continues...

Weak Suspension
Minor boot cuts (5k)
Play in the ball joints
Sound from front wheel bearings(~18K)
Joe dismissed all these claims and found nothing wrong with car.Quite frankly i am begining to question why i should bother ever to send my car to a HASS ever again.As per Joe the suspension etc would make noise whenever they need repairs and he did not find any noise to a extent which it will warrant any repairs.Anyways maybe 3-4 months later i plan to give the car to alignment shop and ask them if the suspenion has any issues etc.If they report any i am going straight to Joe's.

Infact i have decided to get the 40K service done from Joe later.The only concern i may have would be procural for the infamous fuel strainer priced at 3-4K at HASS which Joe has promised to help me find whenever i visit him for the 40K service.

I think all of you guys could save a lot of money by not giving your car to HASS.All you need is a good independant mechanic someone who could be trusted.Many OHC and NHC are maintained by local garages and not by money ripping thugs like Solitaire.I don't see why even the Civic can't be kept in good running condition from a local guy.

Also as per Jatin and Joe if a power steering assembly and rack is overhauled a good mechanic would usaually change the seals.Now i have not been charged for any seals which are suppose to cost 100-200 bucks and find something fishy going on.I am planning to write a strong worded email to HONDA SIEL about solitaire Honda's malpractices.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 5th August 2012 at 13:09.
Old 5th August 2012, 15:21   #3617
BHPian

@sumeet
glad to hear that your independence is back on track and is rocking and rolling.

When i did the 40k service of my rocket i got the fuel strainer from Shetty Motors OHHRREEGGEEENNAALLLLLL Honda for 4k in honda packing and made in thailand part which is the same deal honda uses.

my total cost for 40k service came upto 8k with tranny oil change and synthetic oil change.

Regards to seal, well if i would be in your place would had made a good ruckuss at Solitaire and would had made sure that other customers at solitaire do make note of their malpractices and that would had made a good hit at the buisness of solitaire.

All and ALL a Happy Ending.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 15:41   #3618
BHPian

My 2010 civic has started acting up. The stock audio unit would power off and power on when the car goes through a pothole on the road, or climbs a speed breaker.

Previously if the ignition was on and the music system was playing, if I turned off the ignition the music system would continue playing without powering off, however now when I turn ignition off the stereo turns off and then powers back on.

The AC would also slow down in intensity when I go through a pothole or climb a speedbreaker.

Does this ring an alarm bell, any expensive repairs to hit my wallet ? or is this just some loose contact somewhere ?
Old 5th August 2012, 15:49   #3619
BHPian

it might be just a simple case of a loose contact or moisture in contacts.

if its complicated then this then it might be some bad grounding somewhere.

since your car might be under warranty get it checked and sorted it will be done free of cost.

But make sure that they put back the dash properly after opening it, to avoid future rattles and so on.
Old 7th August 2012, 18:35   #3620
BHPian

Jatin,

The honda guys are asking 6k to remove the dashboard and inspect it. They have checked the car with the diagnostic and there is a short circuit somewhere because of rat entry.

Rat entry is suspected and they are asking 6k to remove the dashboard and peek in to see whats going on. They are also asking me to apply the rat mesh .

Do you think its justified for them to charge me for this work ? I understand if there are parts that need to be changed, but just the labor is chargeable for a car under warranty ? Any help appreciated.
Old 7th August 2012, 22:44   #3621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster
Jatin,

The honda guys are asking 6k to remove the dashboard and inspect it. They have checked the car with the diagnostic and there is a short circuit somewhere because of rat entry.

Rat entry is suspected and they are asking 6k to remove the dashboard and peek in to see whats going on. They are also asking me to apply the rat mesh .

Do you think its justified for them to charge me for this work ? I understand if there are parts that need to be changed, but just the labor is chargeable for a car under warranty ? Any help appreciated.
Looks to be a loot campaign, 6k just to remove and inspect!!!! The labour charge seems to be quite ridiculous. I suggest you get an estimate from another Honda dealer before you do any work. The diagnostics are already there do the other dealerships should e able to help you.

Doubt your warranty will play any part here.
Old 7th August 2012, 23:10   #3622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Looks to be a loot campaign, 6k just to remove and inspect!!!! The labour charge seems to be quite ridiculous. I suggest you get an estimate from another Honda dealer before you do any work. The diagnostics are already there do the other dealerships should e able to help you.

Doubt your warranty will play any part here.
Removing the dash is quite a time consuming job. Please refer a few hundred posts back when I had forcefully asked the HASS guys to remove the dash to do a small work on my AC vents. Charges were 4K.

Why should HASS spend two days removing your dash if you are not willing to pay for it? Please be realistic!

Last edited by laluks : 7th August 2012 at 23:11.
Old 7th August 2012, 23:22   #3623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks

Removing the dash is quite a time consuming job. Please refer a few hundred posts back when I had forcefully asked the HASS guys to do a small work oon my AC vents. Charges were 4K.

Why should HASS spend two days removing your dash if you are not willing to pay for it? Please be realistic!
Thanks, i agree that there is a fair amount of work involved but when I had to get a rattle fixed and the entire dashboard was taken out to locate and fix the same, I was only charged 3500 for the labour plus the replacement of the defective bracket. This was about a year back. Even taking into account the price increases recently, 6k still sounds excessive to me.

Nobody is disputing that work done needs to be paid for but I disagree with your 'realistic' comment. No one is under any illusions here mate!
Old 8th August 2012, 00:51   #3624
BHPian

Folks thanks for all the valuable inputs. yes, i just wanted to be sure I was not getting fleeced by them.

So I will ask them to do it for 3500 mentioning that many have done it for only as much. Will be nice to haggle with them.

Any solution for this rat problem. I am going to kill all of them.
Old 8th August 2012, 07:24   #3625
Senior - BHPian

Posting some pictures for you Sammy
Hey! don't kill them all. We have solutions.

This is the infamous rat hole
A mesh here can prevent the little beings access to inside of the dash
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-26052010043.jpg

The dash, steering and AC unit fully dismantled, you can see the rat hole to the extreme left!
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dscn0215.jpg

The removed Dash with the related tools
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dscn0218.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dscn0222.jpg

Nothing to worry for. HASS guys knows how to fit it back with out rattles. Just put your point across. Which place do you visit for service?

In all probability you'll have to refill the AC gas. If so I guess 2K will be the charges for that. So my guess is that 6K includes that costs as well. As you can see the AC part was removed completely to access the rat hole.

The detached AC components
Name:  DSCN0224.JPG
Views: 1271
Size:  257.5 KB

The following are the pictures when I attempted a DIY
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0274.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0277.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_0278.jpg
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 18:19   #3626
BHPian

I gave my vehicle to Dakshin Honda, Hosur Road. Where do you give yours laluks ?
Old 8th August 2012, 18:28   #3627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
I gave my vehicle to Dakshin Honda, Hosur Road. Where do you give yours laluks ?
Same place.
Been with them since purchase
Old 9th August 2012, 16:43   #3628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
any idea, on the throw of the fog lamps for post 09 models? Am talking about the OEI ones, and i rarely get the throw for more than couple of meters :(.
Though it offers good lighting towards both the side and turning is an easy affair at night with the fogs. But the front line visibility offered by the fogs alone has been disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Hi, any idea on the above query?
Also, any idea, what is the significance of the number forged on the alloy wheels? All 4 wheels have the same number.
The JWL mark is Japanese Alloy wheel safety seal, but the number is something that was not decipherable.
Sorry for bumping this up. But if any pointers to the above could be given, it would be great.
Old 9th August 2012, 20:12   #3629
BHPian

Ok, got the vehicle back. Here are the charges:

Dashboard dismantling: 3500
A\C Gas refilling: 1690
Rat Mesh: 390
Wire soldering: 150

So the rat had bitten some wires in the wiring harness, and hence the issue where the audio system would turn off.

Do you think just the soldering and insulation tape work is enough to fix this, the issue is not present anymore.

Will the rat mesh really prevent this from happening again ? Wont the rat mesh cause any other malfunction like blocking the A\C vents etc ?

I am scared because of all the horror stories about electric short circuit and vehicles catching fire..

Last edited by sammycoolster : 9th August 2012 at 20:14.
Old 9th August 2012, 20:47   #3630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I hear a slight kit-kit-kit-kit sound when the steering is turned lock to lock - towards the extreme ends. This is audible when I turn the wheels at standstill or parking speeds.

What are the possible causes?
Please check the Power steering fluid reservoir and keep an eye on the same daily by noting the fluid levels.The PS gets noisy when it get's low on fluid.If the level of fluid is the same you could rule out any leak etc.Best get it inspected by a trusted mechanic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks