Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 14:08   #4051
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Also, have tried the horn of the City and its pathetic. The Civc has a dual horn if am right and hence I feel its better than that of the City.

Even i am of the same impression regarding Civic having dual horns. At times, can feel the dual tone as well. But nowhere have I seen a picture wherein the two horns are visible. All that could be seen is the one just next to the radiator.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:31   #4052
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the Horns in Civic

This is how the Hella red grille Horns (dual tone 118db) are fitted in my car. Pic was taken when I was installing the Headlight Projectors.
You can see the old OEM horns marked in red.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dscn4329.jpg

This pic shows where the horns are mounted/fixed. (there are 2 holes, one can fit there without cutting anything) Check the brackets. Pic was taken from Cell phone.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-photo0033.jpg

Regarding the AUX port on 06+civic.
Check the below file. ( A DIY)
civic06auxguide.pdf
sushrutha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 16:35   #4053
Senior - BHPian

The Civic and Accord horns are something which my Dad and me LOVE. The day we got the car, he honked for the first time and said that the horn sounds so refined. I agreed. I don't know why but you can almost picture them being on Japanese cars the moment you hear them, even if your eyes are shut.
I love the Civic horn, and in fact, I wanna put the same on my Zen.
Anyone who is discarding his Civic horn, please PM me. I'll come collect the horns and have them installed in my Zen which is running Bosch Windtones.
Old 18th December 2012, 13:52   #4054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Not sure about the Aux port installation coolkurt. You may check with one of the accessories shop out there. BTW, the USB port that they install does not impact the stock look of the car at all. No drills or any modification on the looks, they simply connect the wire to the back of the HU and draw the wire from underneath the dash directly into the glove box and leave the port in the glove box. If anyone sits in the car, he can never make out that there is a USB port installed in this car unless he opens the glove box. Anyways, your requirement is a little different as you want to control your music through IPOD, so definitely AUX would be the right choice.
Well I got the aux cable fitted for 1500 from Gemcar, lajpat nagar 2. it comes from behind the dash and is suitable for ipod music. Now all I need is an amp and sub.
Thanks every1
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 14:00   #4055
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know where this cable thingy can be done in mumbai for the aux ?

thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 14:14   #4056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Does anyone know where this cable thingy can be done in mumbai for the aux ?

thanks
Hey Sumeet,

A few days ago, i checked out a few audio setup shops in Andheri West. Most of them said that this job cant be done.

Just one guy suggested that the AUX can be installed for 4500 INR (So much for these people, he was so damn confident that the USB can't be installed at all. Not, that Delhi is in the US of A ). When asked for the exact name of the adapter, he replied its a Chinese one. A Chinese product for 4500 bucks!! Whoa!!!

I guess, we need to head to Milan Subway to get a competitive quote and a valid resolution to this open point.

Last edited by MetalBuff : 18th December 2012 at 14:32.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 14:47   #4057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
A few days ago, i checked out a few audio setup shops in Andheri West. Most of them said that this job cant be done.

I guess, we need to head to Milan Subway to get a competitive quote and a valid resolution to this open point.
Hey guys, let me know if you do find someone who does this in Mumbai, I need the AUX port for my civic as well.
I checked with the audio shops in Thane and they flatly told me that this cannot be done at all!

Anyhow, my mechanic is back in town and he said he'll check with his usual audio guy if he can do this. Will let you'll know if it happens.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:17   #4058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Hey guys, let me know if you do find someone who does this in Mumbai, I need the AUX port for my civic as well.
I checked with the audio shops in Thane and they flatly told me that this cannot be done at all!

Anyhow, my mechanic is back in town and he said he'll check with his usual audio guy if he can do this. Will let you'll know if it happens.

Hello Gomzi,

Please do share the details if, you find success at a cheaper cost

As mentioned, i did find a shop which DOES this job for 4500 bucks. Boom Box on the Link Road near The Club (2nd signal when heading towards JPVD from Indian Oil. )
The only imminent thing for now is, finding a similar item at a cheaper cost. Had this been a Honda spare, 4500 was justified.

On similar lines, do post WIP pictures, if possible. Thanks.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:56   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gomzi,

Please do share the details if, you find success at a cheaper cost

As mentioned, i did find a shop which DOES this job for 4500 bucks. Boom Box on the Link Road near The Club (2nd signal when heading towards JPVD from Indian Oil. )
The only imminent thing for now is, finding a similar item at a cheaper cost. Had this been a Honda spare, 4500 was justified.

On similar lines, do post WIP pictures, if possible. Thanks.
I'll surely post all details if this is indeed possible in Thane. I want to try all possible options to retain the stock look of the dash and resist replacing the HU. I'm based at Tardeo for the near future so will ask around there as well if time permits. Someone on Lamington should be able to do this cheap.
Old 18th December 2012, 16:06   #4060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Regarding the AUX port on 06+civic.
Check the below file. ( A DIY)

Hello Sushrutha,

Thanks for this. However, don't wish to rip apart the Civic's dash on our own. The by-product of this (Read noises) is what we dread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
I'll surely post all details if this is indeed possible in Thane. I want to try all possible options to retain the stock look of the dash and resist replacing the HU. I'm based at Tardeo for the near future so will ask around there as well if time permits. Someone on Lamington should be able to do this cheap.
The cheaper the better. This guy confirmed, that the attachment will come out from behind the HU, wire pulled in through the glove bix and the AUX jack stays inside right there. So, stays stock. Only problem being, that one will have to stock his/ her phone/ pod inside the glove box.

Not to hijack the thread any further , awaiting more details from our fellow bhpians

Considering this is such a rampant problem in the pre-2008 Civics, i presumed a better number of people might have got this convesion done .

Last edited by MetalBuff : 18th December 2012 at 16:24.
Old 18th December 2012, 21:00   #4061
Senior - BHPian

Guys , bhpian HirenMistry had done a DIY on his Civic which i think is described in this very thread.But i guess I rather find someone who can do the same for me as i don't think i can mess with the dashboard etc.

@Metalbuff buddy at 4.5K i think you get the Civic's dashboard trim for the center console with which you can mount any double din/single din head unit.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 23:00   #4062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys , bhpian HirenMistry had done a DIY on his Civic which i think is described in this very thread.But i guess I rather find someone who can do the same for me as i don't think i can mess with the dashboard etc.

@Metalbuff buddy at 4.5K i think you get the Civic's dashboard trim for the center console with which you can mount any double din/single din head unit.
Hello Sumeet,

Ah! In that case, Honda would have priced this AUX attachment around the 10K mark, had this been a genuine accessory. . People would start caring about this as much as they do for the engine mounts .

On a serious note, that's indeed the adaptor which costs 4500, bud. Would rather burn cds than spend a fortune on either a double din HU or 4500 bucks for this attachment.

Should we also be posting this query in the ICE section? This occult definitely needs to be taken further to the ICE gurus IMHO.
Old 19th December 2012, 00:05   #4063
BHPian

Thanks for updating coolkurt. Good price for the attachment. Is the attachment placed in the glove box or is it fixed right where the stock attachment is fitted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Well I got the aux cable fitted for 1500 from Gemcar, lajpat nagar 2. it comes from behind the dash and is suitable for ipod music. Now all I need is an amp and sub.
Thanks every1
Wondering if there could be such a big price difference between Delhi and Mumbai. I understand Mumbai is expensive compared to Delhi but such a price difference for a similar setup seems more like a daylight robbery in Mumbai.
Quote:
Hey Sumeet,
Just one guy suggested that the AUX can be installed for 4500 INR (So much for these people, he was so damn confident that the USB can't be installed at all.
Vivek5870 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 06:59   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Thanks for updating coolkurt. Good price for the attachment. Is the attachment placed in the glove box or is it fixed right where the stock attachment is fitted?

Wondering if there could be such a big price difference between Delhi and Mumbai. I understand Mumbai is expensive compared to Delhi but such a price difference for a similar setup seems more like a daylight robbery in Mumbai.
Well, one has to bargain.

And I had to settle for an aux wire coming out from behind the dash. Getting an aux in port installed was a more expensive and laborious proposition. I'm very happy with the current setup. There is enough length to play music from the rear seats. And I can easily change the aux cable by cutting and joining a new one from my end, without opening the dash. One just needs to know what wires to join.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 08:21   #4065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Thanks every1
Hello Coolkurt.

Can you please share the brand name or the any other details of this attachment?

If we can procure this attachment from somewhere at a cheaper price, using the steps as in the DIY, we can get this done from any audio shop.

All that will be required are another 500 bucks as labor charges. So, we stand to save quite a lot then

Most Viewed