Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 10:33   #4816
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I gave my car for 20k service this week. Now the service center folks are telling that the front brake "linings" are completely worn out. I believe this is the same as brake pads. Apparently even the brake discs are in bad shape. My car is an AT and has run less than 20k kms so far and I drive mostly in a sedate manner. Wonder what is the experience of others on this. They are asking for some 6k for replacing these front brake "linings".

How often do you wash your car, and what is the typical 'after wash' procedure?

Reason for asking is, if you wash the Civic, and park the car soon after the wash, there tend to be a 'brake bite' on the pads. This is evident the next time you move the car. The brakes makes a thud sound, while letting the wheels go.

Could this be a scenario applicable to your situation?
Old 9th September 2013, 11:25   #4817
BANNED

While ATs are harsher on the brakes (no engine braking) this does look extreme. Indicates either a malfunction or hard usage, or riding the brakes!
Old 9th September 2013, 17:07   #4818
BHPian

Experts, need some help with my Civic VMT which is 20K plus now and almost 2 years old (20 days to go).

I have a strange problem as a thud sound (not very loud) coming from front right when I hit a pothole or rough patch. Have taken it to Honda Service, they retorqued the complete suspension (charged 1000 INR) and stated that the sound would come sometimes when rough patch is hit. Is it normal for other civic owners?

One more, while driving I hear a sound from steering area, similar to the sound when the indicator is disengaged after the turn is complete. Honda Service guys could not figure out what is causing it. Did anyone have a similar experience?

By the way, its 20 more days for manufacturer's warranty. Please share anything which I should check before its out of Manufacturer's warranty.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th September 2013, 19:00   #4819
BHPian

Stand on there head at get it sorted

Thud sounds could be due to various reasons
-Engine Mount
-Shocks going weak
-check your suspension bushings.

The steering area sound could be the sound of your airbag ring get it checked at the earliest a conked airbag ring would result in airbag system failure and horn not working.

Best Regards
Jatin
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 21:47   #4820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanvash View Post
Experts, need some help with my Civic VMT which is 20K plus now and almost 2 years old (20 days to go).

I have a strange problem as a thud sound (not very loud) coming from front right when I hit a pothole or rough patch. Have taken it to Honda Service, they retorqued the complete suspension (charged 1000 INR) and stated that the sound would come sometimes when rough patch is hit. Is it normal for other civic owners?
My car developed this issue within 6 months and at around 9500 kms. 28000 kms, 2.5+ years and 7 services later, the problem still remains. Globally, Honda has issued a service advisory to fix this issue (I'm forgetting the SA number but previous posts in this thread have the relevant information) but Honda SIEL thinks India isn't part of the globe. I've given up.

The struts that sit atop the front suspension towers need replacement.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 09:28   #4821
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
..... but Honda SIEL thinks India isn't part of the globe. I've given up.
Maybe now that Honda SIEL is Honda Cars India things may improve. But I have doubts. Queries regarding the Gearing of Brio AT (kph per 1000 rpm in different gears, and documentation for the console in the City AVN remain unanswered. I will sell you a car with the console, but provide Zilch documentation. I think the console is either Caska or MMI.
Old 10th September 2013, 10:05   #4822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Maybe now that Honda SIEL is Honda Cars India things may improve. But I have doubts. Queries regarding the Gearing of Brio AT (kph per 1000 rpm in different gears, and documentation for the console in the City AVN remain unanswered. I will sell you a car with the console, but provide Zilch documentation. I think the console is either Caska or MMI.
As far as I remember, the City's new AVN console is from Alpine. Not sure whether Honda Sales guy was really aware of the features but I fiddled with it for a while. I am sure its not Caska as I have one in my car or Caska has improved considerably .
Old 10th September 2013, 10:07   #4823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

Reason for asking is, if you wash the Civic, and park the car soon after the wash, there tend to be a 'brake bite' on the pads. This is evident the next time you move the car. The brakes makes a thud sound, while letting the wheels go.

I read this post last night but I had already parked my car after a weekly shampoo early during the day. And I heard the thud sound when I started in the morning. May be I didn't notice it earlier.

Is it recommended to take the car out for a spin after a wash?
Old 10th September 2013, 12:06   #4824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I dont wash the car myself. It is done by car wash folks in my apt and they have limited supply of water. I dont have any issue with brakes so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
While ATs are harsher on the brakes (no engine braking) this does look extreme. Indicates either a malfunction or hard usage, or riding the brakes!
I have been driving AT cars for more than 10 years. I dont drive the car on brakes nor have I ever used it hard or even engaged ABS. During short halts like on red signals, I move the gear lever to N rather than keeping it on D to minimize pressure on brakes.

As per the service manager, the brake pads in an AT car would not last more than 20-25k kms. I have no reference to quote it is otherwise. In any case I dont feel any difference in braking performance so far and there is no noise or vibration while braking. I will check this up with another workshop and see if this is really the case.

Last edited by vasoo : 10th September 2013 at 12:10.
Old 10th September 2013, 12:41   #4825
BHPian

Quote:
As per the service manager, the brake pads in an AT car would not last more than 20-25k kms. I have no reference to quote it is otherwise.
My AT needed brake pad replacement every 25K.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 13:58   #4826
BANNED

@vasoo; I think there are many reports of the pads lasting in excess of 50,000km in AT Civics on this thread. I used to get 20-25k on my Zen AT and Santro AT. In the latter a parts dealer friend told me that in MT cars they did not last much longer either. So please check through the thread for reports.
Old 11th September 2013, 11:44   #4827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont have any issue with brakes so far.
Oh ok. I was just wondering whether continuous brake bite, like washing the car daily and applying the hand brakes for overnight, could have caused this. Because otherwise, since you had mentioned about your driving style, there isn't too many other things to cause this kind of premature wear of brake pads.

Quote:
During short halts like on red signals, I move the gear lever to N rather than keeping it on D to minimize pressure on brakes.
Well, I would say, though there is no harm in doing this, it doesn't do any marginal help also.
The benefits that might result in this like saving on the stress on transmission, or brakes etc are equally negligible as the disadvantages of this action, like stress on the transmission due to the frequent shift of drive modes and immediate acceleration soon after etc.

Imo, the comfort of AT far outweighs the above factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanvash View Post

Is it recommended to take the car out for a spin after a wash?
Yes, drying the brake pads will indeed help. Infact, after a thorough wash, it is recommended for a warm up drive by riding the brake for a few meters, before going a normal drive.

Or else, if you are parking in level and secure ground, you needn't put the hand brakes. That will also help.

Last edited by sarathlal : 11th September 2013 at 11:48.
Old 13th September 2013, 11:15   #4828
Senior - BHPian

My civic's clutch pedal has no tension till around 1/3rd of the way to the
floor...all other parameters are good. No drop in FE..is this normal?

It's due for service in about 2 weeks so I wanted to clarify if something needs to be looked.at
Old 13th September 2013, 11:42   #4829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
My civic's clutch pedal has no tension till around 1/3rd of the way to the
floor...all other parameters are good. No drop in FE..is this normal?

It's due for service in about 2 weeks so I wanted to clarify if something needs to be looked.at
Just that the pedal play is little on the higher side. I guess, around an inch of play would be ideal.
If the clutch disengages fully when depressed to the floor, and if you are comfortable with this much play in the pedal, let it be like that. No harm would be caused.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2013, 14:02   #4830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just that the pedal play is little on the higher side. I guess, around an inch of play would be ideal.
If the clutch disengages fully when depressed to the floor, and if you are comfortable with this much play in the pedal, let it be like that. No harm would be caused.
Yeah. I just checked. Around 1-1.5 inch of play. That's acceptable I guess? No harm done. The machine is in its 7th year, aging gracefully so I prefer to keep it well oiled, hence the concern

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks