Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 19:41   #6391
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Sorry Guys, missed the pictures..Please see them attached here and let me know your views.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6124.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6125.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6126.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6127.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6128.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6134.jpg
Old 19th March 2015, 19:44   #6392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hey Ive got a similar problem. The area where the time is displayed is blinking continuously. It is not showing a steady time(right corner just near the info button). Any guesses why this happens ?
That is because your car battery was removed during the service. Please check your Civic manual for setting time and set it. It should be fine
Old 19th March 2015, 19:51   #6393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
That is because your car battery was removed during the service. Please check your Civic manual for setting time and set it. It should be fine
Sure thing, I shall refer the manual to get more info on it. BTW Did you happen to see the video I uploaded in my earlier post. Quite a strange phenomenon.
Old 19th March 2015, 20:07   #6394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW Did you happen to see the video I uploaded in my earlier post. Quite a strange phenomenon.
I am thinking about the possibilities. Which model year is your car. Does it have auto locking while driving? Did you enable that?

What happens instead of the unlock all door switch, if you unlock just the driver door using the unlock switch near the open lever?

Why is the indicator blinking showing an arm/disarm scenario?

So many questions in my head now

Can you do one more thing and report? Normally self healing of ECU error occur in three ignition cycles. Can you (start the car, switch off , remove key, open door) thrice. While doing this don't lock the door from inside.

Then do your normal drive cycle - start, lock the doors, switch off, remove key, unlock, open the door and see.

Also this one start, lock the doors, switch off, unlock, open the door and remove key and see.

Please report these behaviours

Last edited by laluks : 19th March 2015 at 20:08.
Old 19th March 2015, 20:59   #6395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Guys, missed the pictures..Please see them attached here and let me know your views.
Overall I guess the finish looks good but a better resolution pic could help in identifying anything thats amiss. Also, the gap between the LHS Qtr panel and the trunk lid - is it the best that can be accomplished ? The right side looks much better. How much was the bill finally and how much did you have to cough up? Was the CRV guy of any help at all in sharing expenses?

On the auto-locking issue I presume your car to be a pre-facelift model and I have read in the forum that this feature was brought in only during the 2009 facelift.

Last edited by rr_zen : 19th March 2015 at 21:01.
Old 20th March 2015, 01:13   #6396
BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking about the possibilities. Which model year is your car. Does it have auto locking while driving? Did you enable that?

What happens instead of the unlock all door switch, if you unlock just the driver door using the unlock switch near the open lever?

Why is the indicator blinking showing an arm/disarm scenario?

So many questions in my head now

Can you do one more thing and report? Normally self healing of ECU error occur in three ignition cycles. Can you (start the car, switch off , remove key, open door) thrice. While doing this don't lock the door from inside.

Then do your normal drive cycle - start, lock the doors, switch off, remove key, unlock, open the door and see.

Also this one start, lock the doors, switch off, unlock, open the door and remove key and see.

Please report these behaviours
Bro..I dont know why but the car started behaving weird when I started doing what you asked me to do. The door did not unlock in the first experiment of yours and locked me inside and the alarm went off. I woke everybody in my neighborhood. I tried pulling out the battery cable but it was too hard. I tried then locking the door manually from out and it didnt lock but the siren stopped. I have noticed now that the door lock switch is jammed. Damn dogs still barking...

I have no clue what to do now. I hope my engine is not seized. Will an engine seize for such reasons? what happens if it does.

Last edited by spoth001 : 20th March 2015 at 01:14.
Old 20th March 2015, 01:19   #6397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Overall I guess the finish looks good but a better resolution pic could help in identifying anything thats amiss. Also, the gap between the LHS Qtr panel and the trunk lid - is it the best that can be accomplished ? The right side looks much better. How much was the bill finally and how much did you have to cough up? Was the CRV guy of any help at all in sharing expenses?

On the auto-locking issue I presume your car to be a pre-facelift model and I have read in the forum that this feature was brought in only during the 2009 facelift.
I finally ended up paying 40K inclusive of taxes instead of 53K. I am a very bad negotiator. Now I am going to do a follow-up with the CRV Gentlemen and get it reimbursed. He seems to be very concerned and asked me to buzz once I have a final figure. I told him that his office will be my new office if he doesnt pay me

My Car is 2007 Model and the doors always had to be locked manually with that tiny switch. Is it how they are supposed to be or they lock automatically.

THe finish was not up to the mark and they said it is due to the rubber beading. They claim it will settle eventually. But I know that the actual finish can only be achieved when the car was made. The same was told in a whisper by their in-house mechanic.
Old 20th March 2015, 07:19   #6398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro..I dont know why but the car started behaving weird when I started doing what you asked me to do. The door did not unlock in the first experiment of yours and locked me inside and the alarm went off. I woke everybody in my neighborhood. I tried pulling out the battery cable but it was too hard. I tried then locking the door manually from out and it didnt lock but the siren stopped. I have noticed now that the door lock switch is jammed. Damn dogs still barking...

I have no clue what to do now. I hope my engine is not seized. Will an engine seize for such reasons? what happens if it does.
Don't panic sir. Use your remote, unlock the car amd the arming would be reset. Currently it triggered the alarm while the lock was armed. Which takes us to the conclusion that the lock state the Body Computer gets is armed for some reason, and we have to figure out why if it was not intended. And that why would give us the solution to treat this behavior.

My question is did you lock all doors from inside using the remote or the lock all button?

Engine is not seized. Its your immobilizer acting because of an alarm scenario. Just unlock using your remote. It should be back to normal.

Sorry if I caused you trouble, but it comes to me that a bit more reading of your Civi'c manual will help.
Old 20th March 2015, 11:56   #6399
Senior - BHPian

With so many threads cropping up about issues with the Amaze, City and the Brio, has quality already taken a backseat for Honda? I certainly think so. The only reason the Civic is still holding up well for all of us is probably because of regular maintenance as well as the fact that they were assembled from Completely Knocked-Down (CKD) kits.

Well, moving on to the current situation. During the last service ( wanted only an oil change but was forced into a service), Honda advised me to repair the front control arms in order to fix the suspension as well as the PS rack and Pump. Minor leak suspected. Front brake pads are to be replaced.
Total estimate:
Suspension: 20k
PS overhaul - 60k (rack) + 20k (pump)
Pads - 10k

Staring down at a big expense, I took the car to my trusty FNG. The head there is an old fellow known simply as Mulla Ji. He greeted me and examined the car.

His verdict:

The front bushes had minor cuts. So he said only they need to be replaced. That too not immediately. Honda bushes are of a better quality than the aftermarket bush sets. Since there is no noticeable change in ride quality, it's still good to go for another 5k kms.

Very minor steering fluid leak from the rack. Repair to set me back by 4k. Pump is in pristine condition.

Front brake pads still have substantial life left. Atleast 10k kms. I cross checked with a visual inspection.

The reason I'm a regular at this workshop is because of the genuine feedback. There is no attempt to fleece money from you and only the actual problem is addressed. It's actually a bit surprising for me that a mechanic is arguing against carrying out an unnecessary repair despite it having the potential to bring in sufficient dividends for him.

I am hoping to get all the issues sorted within 10-12k, massive difference from the HASS quote.

For anybody in south delhi, looking for a competent mechanic, you can try this place.

Opposite Kalka Public School, Alaknanda
Contact Person: Mulla Ji - 09811238686

You can give my reference - just tell him "the guy with the grey civic " gave your reference.

Spares from Ghai and repairs from this FNG - I've got a winning combo
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2015, 14:57   #6400
BHPian

Quote:
Don't panic sir. Use your remote, unlock the car amd the arming would be reset. Currently it triggered the alarm while the lock was armed. Which takes us to the conclusion that the lock state the Body Computer gets is armed for some reason, and we have to figure out why if it was not intended. And that why would give us the solution to treat this behavior.

My question is did you lock all doors from inside using the remote or the lock all button?

Engine is not seized. Its your immobilizer acting because of an alarm scenario. Just unlock using your remote. It should be back to normal.

Sorry if I caused you trouble, but it comes to me that a bit more reading of your Civi'c manual will help.
Thanks Sir. I have called the HASS guys to my house to inspect the problem, since the 80K service was due anyways they said they will fix it and I got a call this morning that it is was an issue with the lock if front right door. I am going there in sometime to take delivery and will inspect. I did read the manual and I do realize that I panicked

Thanks for the assistance tho. Hey BTW do you think I can get just an enclosure for my Key ? The after market version cracked :P
Old 26th March 2015, 19:39   #6401
BHPian

Is the right wing mirror only available anywhere in Bangalore.
Old 27th March 2015, 06:46   #6402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Here's an update on the problem I faced with my car. It was indeed the front wheel bearings that went bust and had to be replaced. As usual, HASS did not have the parts in stock and wanted 7-8 days for the part to be ordered and delivered to them. I couldn't wait and took the help of an FNG Ignite and got the bearings replaced for roughly half the price.

You guys were right. HASS quoted INR 19,000 for replacement including labour while I was able to get it done outside for around INR 9,000.
Quoting my earlier post, I am facing problems with my front wheel bearings again. Just a month after getting both of them replaced, I've started hearing faint noises from the front wheels again and, I suspect, they are from the bearings. The noise is very similar to what I heard before I got them replaced. I'm planning to go back to the garage for an inspection over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
With so many threads cropping up about issues with the Amaze, City and the Brio, has quality already taken a backseat for Honda?
For sure! All it takes is one casual peep into the cabins of Brio, Amaze or Mobilio to find that out. They were retaining the traits that Hondas are known for globally but couldn't make them click in India. They decided they will go the cut-price route and, voila, Indians can't have enough of them now. So, it was a good strategy for them and its working like a charm now.
Quote:
The only reason the Civic is still holding up well for all of us is probably because of regular maintenance as well as the fact that they were assembled from Completely Knocked-Down (CKD) kits.
The Civic might be reliable vis-a-vis the European competition but loses out to the Corolla in terms of needing constant attention. I have a relative who owns the Toyota, the car goes for service once in a year and, close to 100,000 kilometers clocked, there is nothing other than periodic services done. In contrast, I had to replace an hydraulic engine mount, the AC evaporator coil and both the front wheel bearings in my Civic in about 4 years, apart from the regular stuff like filters, brake pads and tires.
Quote:
Honda advised me to repair the front control arms in order to fix the suspension as well as the PS rack and Pump. Minor leak suspected. Front brake pads are to be replaced.
Total estimate:
Suspension: 20k
PS overhaul - 60k (rack) + 20k (pump)
Pads - 10k

I took the car to my trusty FNG. I am hoping to get all the issues sorted within 10-12k, massive difference from the HASS quote.
Gosh, south or north, these Honda dealers are amazingly consistent when it comes to repairing stuff. All they know is expensive replacement of parts.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 08:53   #6403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Civic might be reliable vis-a-vis the European competition but loses out to the Corolla in terms of needing constant attention. I have a relative who owns the Toyota, the car goes for service once in a year and, close to 100,000 kilometers clocked, there is nothing other than periodic services done. In contrast, I had to replace an hydraulic engine mount, the AC evaporator coil and both the front wheel bearings in my Civic in about 4 years, apart from the regular stuff like filters, brake pads and tires.

The way I see it, you've been a bit unlucky. I've just had to replace the engine mount at 95k and got a new clutch at 90k. Rest everything is stock, holding pretty well. Small niggles post 1,00,000 kms are certain.

Probably got more to do with the driving style, frequency, city vs highway driving etc. My friend has an Elantra and it's already raked up repair costs of over a lakh in less than two years of ownership.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 09:27   #6404
BANNED

Also,, forget what Honda says, switch to a 10,000-12,000 km once a year regime for service.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 11:12   #6405
BHPian

Quote:
My experience is different, so far I never had any problems worth mentioning in eight years and 1,37,000+ kms. I only had to do the routine services (not even a fuse had blown so far).

But I do have my worries, I have some heavy driving coming up in the next two months far away from my hometown and I am worried if the car will still be reliable as usual (I will be travelling with my family in a hot summer).

I expect my trouble-free run to last for at least ten years (two more years).
manim is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks