Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2015, 11:21   #6406
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
My experience is different, so far I never had any problems worth mentioning in eight years and 1,37,000+ kms. I only had to do the routine services (not even a fuse had blown so far).

But I do have my worries, I have some heavy driving coming up in the next two months far away from my hometown and I am worried if the car will still be reliable as usual (I will be travelling with my family in a hot summer).

I expect my trouble-free run to last for at least ten years (two more years).

It will continue to run

Given the current mileage - Clutch alone can be a worry, and if your mechanic had given a go ahead, then that's it

Suspension issues if any crops up during your long drive, you still can get it back home and repair. But I guess you have no issues on it. An alignment check before the big run will give you peace of mind.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 13:37   #6407
BHPian

Hey guys!

A new issue has cropped up. And, as luck may have it, at the worst time of the year. The AC has developed a moody mind of it's own.

It's been a few days now. Whenever, the car is crawling in traffic, the air conditioner stops cooling, and only the blower keeps throwing 'normal' air. Then, I have to rev the engine hard a few times, to get the cooling going on again. This repeats infinitely.

Had sent it to Honda a day back, and they reported the AC to be functioning normally.

But, the problem doesn't seem to go. I'm sure there's been no gas leakage, otherwise, it wouldn't have cooled at all.

Has anyone else faced such or a similar problem?
What could be the reason behind this?

40+ degree temperatures are such a buzzkill! Ugghhh!
Old 27th March 2015, 13:37   #6408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The way I see it, you've been a bit unlucky.
May be yes, less than a month after replacing both the front wheel bearings, I am getting the bearing noise all over again.
Quote:
Probably got more to do with the driving style, frequency, city vs highway driving etc.
I am generally very soft on all the vehicles that I drive. I agree though on your point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also,, forget what Honda says, switch to a 10,000-12,000 km once a year regime for service.
While the manual says 6 months or 10,000 km, the guys at the dealership insist that I give the car for service every 3 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
My experience is different, so far I never had any problems worth mentioning in eight years and 1,37,000+ kms. I only had to do the routine services (not even a fuse had blown so far).
You are right Manim. Hondas (especially, previous-generation models) are known for this trait globally. There are several examples in India too that stay true to this legacy. I might be wrong, but I think those of us who go the pre-owned route are probably the ones that face issues, however minor they might be.You never know, the first owner might not have taken proper care in the crucial 1-2 years of ownership.
Old 27th March 2015, 13:52   #6409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
While the manual says 6 months or 10,000 km, the guys at the dealership insist that I give the car for service every 3 months.
The dealership is very prompt in their relentless pursuit of persuading me to give the car for service every 3 months. Earlier, I had some patience left to tell them that my car is low on running and hence an yearly service is what I prefer, whenever they called me. Nowadays, I have stopped answering their calls.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:10   #6410
BHPian

Quote:
The way I see it, you've been a bit unlucky. I've just had to replace the engine mount at 95k and got a new clutch at 90k. Rest everything is stock, holding pretty well. Small niggles post 1,00,000 kms are certain.

Probably got more to do with the driving style, frequency, city vs highway driving etc. My friend has an Elantra and it's already raked up repair costs of over a lakh in less than two years of ownership.
+1 to that

Mine is now about to breach 90k and all I have invested in is the clutch set and shocks, that too just a couple of months back. Brake Pads have lasted +40k.
Although, the engine mount is now running out its life looking at the shudders it has started giving - everything else seems to be working fine. Touch-wood
Old 27th March 2015, 14:31   #6411
BANNED

Quote:
Once you are outside warranty let them rant for all I care. Both my cars are on annual/10,000. Manual does not list but with Synth the change is 10,000 or once a year. My so with a year old City AVN is also switching to annual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
The dealership is very prompt in their relentless pursuit of persuading me to give the car for service every 3 months. Earlier, I had some patience left to tell them that my car is low on running and hence an yearly service is what I prefer, whenever they called me. Nowadays, I have stopped answering their calls.
Same here. In fact once I asked the GM - are Honda cars made of cardboard? He said no, so I asked why this three month nonsense. Even during the warranty period of my Civic I skipped the three month show after the first free inspection.

In any case the 3 month show is officially called inspection and not service. Brio / Amaze do not have it!

Last edited by sgiitk : 27th March 2015 at 14:33.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:47   #6412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In any case the 3 month show is officially called inspection and not service. Brio / Amaze do not have it!
I wonder what they inspect every three months (maybe our wallets ). In my case, I would have barely covered 300 km during that time. The only fallout of all this is to have all possible settings including the seats, ORVMs, steering, AC etc changed and it takes a while to get them back to your preference. Of course, the car looks clean from outside.
Old 27th March 2015, 23:33   #6413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Given the current mileage - Clutch alone can be a worry, and if your mechanic had given a go ahead, then that's it
I think Manim's Civic has a auto tranny so he need not worry about the clutch either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Hey guys!

A new issue has cropped up. And, as luck may have it, at the worst time of the year. The AC has developed a moody mind of it's own.
I believe this is normal as the ac works better with speed of the car. I have noticed the same in my car. In bumper to bumper the a/c effect is not very cool. You most probably noticing this now because of the summer heat. What you can do is reduce the temperature lower instead of revving the engine.

Quote:
May be yes, less than a month after replacing both the front wheel bearings, I am getting the bearing noise all over again.
That is the problem with getting non OE stuff, you don't know if it will last long. My Civic's after market engine mount busted in just 2-3 months.

Quote:
Once you are outside warranty let them rant for all I care. Both my cars are on annual/10,000.
If the car's running is not much then it's ok to give it once a year. But for people like me who are running 1.5k kms a month , a 3 months service just for a check up does not seem like a bad idea. This will make sure problems are corrected in time and the car gets proper care if it's used daily for long distances.
Old 28th March 2015, 09:42   #6414
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder what they inspect every three months (maybe our wallets ). In my case, I would have barely covered 300 km during that time. The only fallout of all this is to have all possible settings including the seats, ORVMs, steering, AC etc changed and it takes a while to get them back to your preference. Of course, the car looks clean from outside.
yes, inspect and lighten your wallet.

I bet the wash can be much cheaper than what they bill you. Get a decent wax (I prefer Collinite 845) , and pay the chap who washes your car to do a good job. This will be much better.
Old 28th March 2015, 10:57   #6415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly! I have in fact blocked all numbers from HASC using Truecaller app on my phone . I follow a yearly servicing and that too with my FNG from last year rather than at ASC. My running is also less (about 5000 kms per year) with two other cars in my family. Interestingly, even when I did servicing early last year at Dakshin Honda, they did not fix any of my specific complaints about some rattles. So I do not plan to go there, unless I need to replace some parts. I do my own detailing on the car once a year using Meguiars stuff and finishing with Collinite.

Last edited by vasoo : 28th March 2015 at 10:58.
Old 28th March 2015, 12:45   #6416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

I believe this is normal as the ac works better with speed of the car. I have noticed the same in my car. In bumper to bumper the a/c effect is not very cool. You most probably noticing this now because of the summer heat. What you can do is reduce the temperature lower instead of revving the engine.
No, bro. The AC stops cooling, completely. The cooling stops.

Irrespective of even keeping it at "Lo", which is 18 degree C.
Old 28th March 2015, 12:56   #6417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
Irrespective of even keeping it at "Lo", which is 18 degree C.
I remember reading in this thread somewhere, its about some ice formation somewhere making the logic trip thinking its cool enough. Forget recollecting the specifics. And there was some remedy suggested as well

If time permits I'll try to dig it out for you, please also search this thread in its entirety
Old 30th March 2015, 07:50   #6418
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what they inspect every three months (maybe our wallets ).
More than a decade back, I was a part of one reputed Honda dealership looking after the state wide sales of Accord and CR-V. What you say is absolutely right. I have heard and seen myself and vouch that the H.A.S.S people just wash and return the car every alternate 5K service. The oil change and any routine check ups are normally done every 10K interval unless you have pointed out something specific.
aa_asif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 08:54   #6419
BHPian

Hey Marcus! It is the ac clutch that is causing the problem. I faced the exact same problem in my Civic.. Took it to my FNG and was advised to have the ac clutch changed. 3.5k and the ac was fixed.
Old 30th March 2015, 08:56   #6420
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I remember reading in this thread somewhere, its about some ice formation somewhere making the logic trip thinking its cool enough. Forget recollecting the specifics. And there was some remedy suggested as well
Surprisingly one cause of icing is low refrigerant. If this is the case, you have freezing and hence icing at the expansion valve!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks