Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 20:48   #6451
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
No i did not really have such a issue on my Civic but did face such issues on my 800. It used to give 7-8 kmpl once. I just changed my garage and got better spark plugs etc and it started to give 15 kmpl.

Also check the idle rpm and observe if on a warmed up engine if it's at 1k + rpm . If it's at a higher idle rpm then a HDS (Honda Diagnostic Scan) might be needed to be done to get the idle rpm corrected to the appropriate 700-800 rpm.

Best as i said, go to a reliable workshop and get the car tuned.
Fresh start in the morning till the vehicle heats up pushes the RPM to 1400.
After heating it pushes idle RPM down to 1100. Definitely not 700-800. You think something is wrong ? I will have my car picked up tomm. anyways.
Old 7th April 2015, 20:49   #6452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have a suspicion that there may be a fuel leak somewhere. Please do get it checked.
It does not show any indications on the ground level chief. You suspect internal leaking ? Is that technically possible ?
Old 7th April 2015, 20:51   #6453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Did you do a tankfull after getting the car from the garage, and immediately measured the FE

OR

This FE is on the second tankful after the garage visit, and FE is kind of consistently low.

If its the former, don't worry. All that moving around inside the garage, start stops, low running would have contributed to this one instance of low FE.

If its the latter, probably so many things could contribute to it, better check one by one, like a fuel leak, dirty fuel, dirty air filter, etc....
Its definitely Latter, but do you recommend another tankful and check ? I will have my filters checked anyways.
Old 7th April 2015, 21:28   #6454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Its definitely Latter, but do you recommend another tankful and check ? I will have my filters checked anyways.
Try another tankful, probably if all is well it should be normal.
Old 7th April 2015, 23:09   #6455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Thanks Sumeeth, in fact I also have 205 65 R 15 on on my Civic. Considering that there will be 4 people in the car, do you still think 32 psi will be alright?
I maintain 32 psi and find the pick up to be better but the tyres make the ride a bit stiff. I am quite lazy and don't fill up air every 15 days but rather check once a month where the pressure drops a psi or two. At this stage i find the car to have a really smooth ride where the bumps are further cushioned by the tyres. You can take a pick of the two 32 or 30 psi depending and how you want the ride.Factory recommended is 30 psi but 32 is not going to hurt.

Quote:
Can you recommend few around if you don't mind ? I am too hesitant to experiment on workshops now, especially after what I have experienced lately.
Frankly last 2 visits have been to HASS (Linkway chandivali). I can give you my HASS advisor no if you want and he is quite trustworthy and won't recommened anything unless absolutely needed.

Quote:
Fresh start in the morning till the vehicle heats up pushes the RPM to 1400.
After heating it pushes idle RPM down to 1100. Definitely not 700-800. You think something is wrong ? I will have my car picked up tomm. anyways.
After driving the car for a while , kindly check while waiting at a signal and see if the idle rpm is at 700 to 800 k. If it's still at 1100 then you will need to go to Honda (or a independant garage with a diagnostic scanner) and ask them to do a ECU reset which will correct the idle rpm to the 700 to 800 mark.

Also in my car there was a fuel leak at the place where the fuel filter is connected to the engine. Rats had eating away a rubber bit which caused the leakage. However in case of a fuel leak you will most probably be able to smell the petrol odour.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 7th April 2015 at 23:12.
Old 8th April 2015, 00:59   #6456
Senior - BHPian

Not a very clear snap I believe.

Looking for feedback on the condition of the mount in my car.

I have no telltale signs such as jerks, noise etc yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1428434870035.jpg  

Old 8th April 2015, 02:42   #6457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After heating it pushes idle RPM down to 1100. Definitely not 700-800.
Quote:
After driving the car for a while , kindly check while waiting at a signal and see if the idle rpm is at 700 to 800 k. If it's still at 1100 then you will need to go to Honda (or a independant garage with a diagnostic scanner) and ask them to do a ECU reset which will correct the idle rpm to the 700 to 800 mark.
True that. Remember the 800 rpm is the idle rpm in P mode, and is supposed to be lesser once we are in D mode. So, as Sumeet mentioned, if the rpm is above 1K while in D mode, it needs reset.

Alternatively, you can do the ECU reset yourself by following the ECU reset steps from Civic user manual.
See here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2661542

Quote:
You can take a pick of the two 32 or 30 psi depending and how you want the ride.Factory recommended is 30 psi but 32 is not going to hurt.
I would say, we can have 30psi, if the tire pressure check can be routinely done every fortnight, else going with 32psi would be the better option, as this would give sufficient lead time without having the car run with lower tire pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
With respect to the various discussions, what I could infer is,
1. A new mount will easily accommodate two 5 rupee coins with some more space to spare
2. It is time to replace if a single 5 rupee coin is a tight fit.
3. A normally used mount will be able to accommodate a single 5 rupee coin with some more space to spare.

Some immediate references;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3036901
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2901801

Last edited by Aditya : 8th April 2015 at 12:09. Reason: Merging back to back posts
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2015, 07:34   #6458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looking at the picture, I think your mount is fine. There's sufficient gap. Relax and enjoy your car
Old 8th April 2015, 10:23   #6459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mount seems to be fine from the picture.

Please see if there are marks showing that the two parts, the alloy arm and the rubber mount below, are touching each other. Do a visual inspection for any signs of contact.

Also feel the mount where the alloy joins the rubber for any leaks, normally the mount gets cut there and the hydraulic oil/liquid filled inside leaks there.

If the above two tests shows no signs of contact and leak, then the mount is fine.

I have seen a mount which had the gap, but touching each other when the engine was abused.
Old 8th April 2015, 21:51   #6460
Senior - BHPian

So I decide to look up my mount too, and here is a picture. The gap is significant, but can see 'contact' on the rubber. Is it going kaput?
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_30399999999999999.jpg
Old 8th April 2015, 23:24   #6461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
So I decide to look up my mount too, and here is a picture. The gap is significant, but can see 'contact' on the rubber. Is it going kaput?
Attachment 1358533
If there is sufficient gap leave it as it is. If the mount is in need of replacement the gap will reduce and the two ends will be very close to each other. A typical way to test the gap is to insert the Civic's key between the gap. If the key fits in between the two edges it's fine. If one has to force (better not do this) then the gap has reduced and it may be time to change the mount.

Btw i have noticed a thunk noise even after replacement with a OE mount. I wonder if it's something else.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:28   #6462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Attachment 1358533
This is what I have mentioned, you have the gap, but you also have signs of touching.

If you don't have track days , it could last a while.

I do not see any signs of leak from the picture and that is a good sign.
Old 9th April 2015, 16:15   #6463
BHPian

Quote:

Hello,

Agree with coolkurt.

The mounts are absolutely fine.

Please enjoy.
Old 9th April 2015, 16:36   #6464
BHPian

Guys I have received the car from HASS Kalina. They looked into the RPM issue and asked me to observe the mileage. I left the tank almost empty and will fill it up tonight and let you know the status.
Old 9th April 2015, 18:46   #6465
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have a new problem. There is no sound heard from the factory stereo for cd or radio. Hass advisor and the internet says possible some issue with factory amp. Hass guy quoted 6 to 7k for fixing but ofcourse i won't be going there. Anyone had similar issue before ?

Most Viewed