Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2015, 12:25   #6511
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Here's a download link to the workshop manual : https://www.mediafire.com/?pdburslf23us8g4
Old 17th April 2015, 13:22   #6512
BANNED

Thanks. I will be able to download only after the 25th when the choke on my bandwidth ends.
Old 17th April 2015, 14:00   #6513
BHPian

Friends, the turn indicator in the left ORVM of my 2007 VMT civic has gone kaput. The SA told me that he will have to change the whole blinker assembly at a cost of Rs 3000. I just wanted to know if anyone here faced a similar issue and how to rectify it. Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 14:23   #6514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Here's a download link to the workshop manual : https://www.mediafire.com/?pdburslf23us8g4
I downloaded the .rar file and opened it using Winzip and extracted the files as well. However, am not able to find any manual in there. There is an application 'EsmStart' but that doesnt open on clicking. Am I doing something incorrect here? Thanks.
Old 17th April 2015, 15:11   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjoz View Post
Is it worth buying an AT if i plan to keep it for a min of 3-4 years
Well I rather give you facts over perceptions of "how I feel" as that might be biased considering that I have a Civic AT !

- I bought a 8 year old used AT driven for almost 50k kms

- Engine was charmingly well maintained, I only had to work on suspension / minor leaks / battery etc to get her up to speed

- I have used it for a year now, lowest mileage was 6.7 kmpl and highest was 11.4 kmpl (I measure for every time I fill her up). These numbers are with heavy foot driving in full AC, within city limits. So on a highway / expressway, with a light foot + no AC, she will give you good numbers

- The older the car, the more one-time-fix-up expenses you will face. I have spent about 1.25L over and above cost of purchase for new suspension / battery / power steering leaks / new brakes etc.

It is in no way an economical car to maintain (one broken door without paint costed me 17k + paint), but that has nothing to do with AT or manual - this would be the case with any car in this price category. Having seen my parent owned cars in the same price bracket, I can safely say that on a relative basis, this is cheaper to maintain for a (now) 9 year old car, and it still looks & runs as good as new !

Hope this helps
salunkhe.vizz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2015, 16:38   #6516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I downloaded the .rar file and opened it using Winzip and extracted the files as well. However, am not able to find any manual in there. There is an application 'EsmStart' but that doesnt open on clicking. Am I doing something incorrect here? Thanks.
In the folder you'll see a file HONDAESM , right click and open with internet explorer.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-manual1.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2015, 22:28   #6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@deepjoz; by all means. Also, as the engine becomes bigger the penalty in fuel consumption becomes progressively less. In fact if I remember correctly, the USEPA ratings of the Civic AT were 1 MPG better than the MT, which I guess were due to the taller gearing. They were lower in town driving as expected. The only catch in the AT is that it hesitates for a moment. This can be obviated by selecting the S mode. Now I just shove it to D and let it get on with it. The best I have got is over 17kpl, and 12-14 is typical on the highway. City is normally in the 9-10kpl range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Well I rather give you facts over perceptions of "how I feel" as that might be biased considering that I have a Civic AT !

- I bought a 8 year old used AT driven for almost 50k kms

- Engine was charmingly well maintained, I only had to work on suspension / minor leaks / battery etc to get her up to speed

- I have used it for a year now, lowest mileage was 6.7 kmpl and highest was 11.4 kmpl (I measure for every time I fill her up). These numbers are with heavy foot driving in full AC, within city limits. So on a highway / expressway, with a light foot + no AC, she will give you good numbers

- The older the car, the more one-time-fix-up expenses you will face. I have spent about 1.25L over and above cost of purchase for new suspension / battery / power steering leaks / new brakes etc.

It is in no way an economical car to maintain (one broken door without paint costed me 17k + paint), but that has nothing to do with AT or manual - this would be the case with any car in this price category. Having seen my parent owned cars in the same price bracket, I can safely say that on a relative basis, this is cheaper to maintain for a (now) 9 year old car, and it still looks & runs as good as new !

Hope this helps
Dear sgiitk and salunkhe.vizz, Thanks for your valuable inputs. Those were reassuring ,especially since it came from two existing Civic AT owners. I appreciate it. I have also heard in general that AT cars have some extra regular maintenance expenses like frequent brake pad wear etc when compared to MT... Will these be really felt when we switch from MT to AT in general and Civic in particular?.
Old 19th April 2015, 09:00   #6518
BANNED

Yes, since there is no reverse engine braking pads do tend to last a bit less. However, I have had no real issues with any of my AT cars, starting with a Zen in 1999! The Santro was bad, but I hear the same was true of the MT as well. On the other hand no hassle of clutch replacement. i may add that my driving style is staid so I do not expect that much wear and tear either.
Old 19th April 2015, 10:55   #6519
Senior - BHPian

What's the mileage that one can expect from a MT Civic in the city? I'm getting a mileage of 9-10kmpl at best. I log about 60 kms daily with the longest stretch being 7kms. Office is just about 5 kms away.

I used to get about 12-12.5kmpl but that was because my home to office commute was 15 kms one way.

I guess the shorter distances are contributing to the lower mileage but I just wanted a second opinion. It's a bit pressuring as everyone in the family wants me to get rid of it and go for a smaller, more efficient car but I can't think of letting go
Old 19th April 2015, 11:09   #6520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjoz View Post
Dear sgiitk and salunkhe.vizz, Thanks for your valuable inputs. Those were reassuring ,especially since it came from two existing Civic AT owners. I appreciate it. I have also heard in general that AT cars have some extra regular maintenance expenses like frequent brake pad wear etc when compared to MT... Will these be really felt when we switch from MT to AT in general and Civic in particular?.
Brake Pads in my A/T were changed at 52K. They lasted much longer that my earlier M/T cars.
Touchwood, no issues with A/T will now @90K Kms. As mentioned earlier my some other members, it is cheaper to maintain than other cars in its price category. If you get hold of a good FNG, especially for suspension and body related works, then you can reduce the price of maintenance further.

However, if an A/T goes bad, then its a big big expense, to the tune of 1.5 L in case of major issues. There are generally no repairs, only replacement at HASS.
Old 19th April 2015, 11:30   #6521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
What's the mileage that one can expect from a MT Civic in the city? I'm getting a mileage of 9-10kmpl at best. I log about 60 kms daily with the longest stretch being 7kms. Office is just about 5 kms away.

I used to get about 12-12.5kmpl but that was because my home to office commute was 15 kms one way.

I guess the shorter distances are contributing to the lower mileage but I just wanted a second opinion. It's a bit pressuring as everyone in the family wants me to get rid of it and go for a smaller, more efficient car but I can't think of letting go
If you log 60 kms daily maybe CNG is the way to go. I used to get around 12 kmpl when in petrol mode in the City. But my drives then only used to be on weekends and would average just 300 kms a month.
Old 19th April 2015, 15:04   #6522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If you log 60 kms daily maybe CNG is the way to go. I used to get around 12 kmpl when in petrol mode in the City. But my drives then only used to be on weekends and would average just 300 kms a month.
Ah but I need the boot space. My mule does carry a lot of stuff every day. I think I'll just have to live with it. Assuming my mileage is decent? Around 10 kmpl is normal right?
Old 19th April 2015, 15:46   #6523
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Yes it does. When I was on IIT Campus (1km from office) and moved to my own house (5km) the Accent (1500 MT) gave a better than 10% improvement in the mileage.
Old 20th April 2015, 11:49   #6524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I had a new door plus rear fender fixed for 20k from local garage.
How long did it take for you to source the door ? I am facing a bit of a challenge on this since Thursday :(
Old 20th April 2015, 12:22   #6525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
How long did it take for you to source the door ? I am facing a bit of a challenge on this since Thursday :(
I had given the car on a Sunday afternoon and got it back by Wednesday afternoon. And this was during the month of July when paint has issues with drying. The work done was good but if you look closely one can make out the rear door paint does not matches the rest of the car. But i believe, a detailing job can take care of same, though i haven't done so yet. Door was sourced by my garage man himself.

Where have you given the car ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 20th April 2015 at 12:23.

Most Viewed