Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 13:23   #6526
BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjoz View Post
Our running is very less and is intended to be a family car for parents too. Is it worth buying an AT if i plan to keep it for a min of 3-4 years. Thanks for all the inputs
Civic AT is a good car to own.Mine is 4.5 years old and has done 92,500 Km.Since you want to use it for parents, be mindful of low seating and test drive with your parents to find out if it causes them any discomfort.Off late, my parents have been finding entry and exit quite problematic.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 18:05   #6527
Senior - BHPian

So the fuel gauge display in my civic decided to stop working this morning. It has completely blanked out. Everything else is working perfectly alright.

Any idea what could have gone wrong? Fuse? Display? Gauge?
Old 20th April 2015, 19:52   #6528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
So the fuel gauge display in my civic decided to stop working this morning. It has completely blanked out. Everything else is working perfectly alright.

Is it just the fuel guage or the entire top section including speedo and temp guage. I had the top display going blank. It fixed itself after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after 2 to 3 mins.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 02:10   #6529
BHPian

Quote:

Maybe your fuel level sensor has gone kaput. Since the entire console has a single fuse, I don't think it's a fuse related issue.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:22   #6530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

As suggested, if everything else is still working it is unlikely to be a fuse. If other things stopped working on the dashboard check fuses first.

If the fuse is ok, I would check the electrical connectors in the circuit to the fuel sender unit. Check them for corrosion, loose wires etc.

Next is the fuel sender unit itself. It could be broken, but often they just get dirty and stuck. So you have to pull it out, clean it and see if it works. Im not sure on current Civics, but I seem to recall on earlier Civics, the fuel sender is easy accessible. Check youtube for "civic fuel sender" and you will find several easy instruction videos.
Jeroen
Old 21st April 2015, 10:00   #6531
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys! So just checked my car..the entire top console is dead (Fuel+Temp+Speedo) . Hence its gotta be something to do with the electricals. Ill start by disconnecting the battery as suggested by Sumeeth. If that dosent work its gotta be the fuse there.
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:39   #6532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello any update on what was done.
Good Afternoon Gentlemen. Just to give you guys an update on the payments, I managed to convince the Guy who rammed my vehicle to pay 50% of the damages. He agreed to pay me 20K. What a relief and thanks to the wise Guy.

Also thanks to all of you guys.
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:45   #6533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Good Afternoon Gentlemen. Just to give you guys an update on the payments, I managed to convince the Guy who rammed my vehicle to pay 50% of the damages. He agreed to pay me 20K. What a relief and thanks to the wise Guy.

Also thanks to all of you guys.
That's great news
So all in all the damages was 40k?, I remember HASS giving you a quote north of 100K?
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:08   #6534
BHPian

I have been hearing clunking noises from the front suspension and feeling some play in the steering for a couple of months now. Finally got around to getting them checked last week. HASS diagnosis was wear and tear on inner and outer ball joints and steering linkage. Also had a busted left rear shock. Contacted Jatin (Wagenwerks) and have given him the car today to replace the ball joints, linkages, bushings, tie rods and the shocks. He has promised all OE/OEM parts for the work being carried out and has assured full attention to detail for the job. Anxious wait now to get the car back.
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:08   #6535
BHPian

Guys: Last week my wife was driving the civic in heavy rain and she said every time she applied brake the entire vehicle shuddered. Nothing happened but she said it was scary. I drove the car today and it was normal. What could be the reason?
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:33   #6536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Guys: Last week my wife was driving the civic in heavy rain and she said every time she applied brake the entire vehicle shuddered. Nothing happened but she said it was scary. I drove the car today and it was normal. What could be the reason?
Typically shudder while braking is signs of a warped disc. The shudder will be more pronounced when the brake pads are in contact with the warped potion of the disc. Suggest you get this checked ASAP.
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:49   #6537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Typically shudder while braking is signs of a warped disc. The shudder will be more pronounced when the brake pads are in contact with the warped potion of the disc. Suggest you get this checked ASAP.
But then shouldnt it happen now also? I dont have any shudder now
Old 23rd April 2015, 17:12   #6538
BHPian

Quote:
But then shouldnt it happen now also? I dont have any shudder now
Shudder is speed dependant sometimes, i.e. it gets more pronounced at higher speeds. Did you try a longish run and braking at different speeds? Other than a disc issue I can't think of anything else that will cause shuddering under braking.
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:02   #6539
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe it was the ABS kicking in?
(since it was raining)
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:04   #6540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Maybe it was the ABS kicking in?
(since it was raining)
Every time she applied brake? It was a 20 mins ride and she said it happened everytime she applied brake.

Most Viewed