Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 11:31   #6631
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Breached 1,10,000 kms and now have a few niggles :

1. I've got a minor PS leak from the rack. Need to get that fixed. Besides that, there is a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel when the car is stationary. Is the issue related to the above or it could be the bearing?

2. The front bushes have minor damages due to which the ride has become a bit wobbly. Getting the bushes changed today.

3. Mileage has dropped significantly. I'm getting 8-9kmpl on the same strech I used to manage 10-11. There is a slight issue with the clutch pedal release. As if it gets stuck for a fraction of a second before it releases and bounces back up. I've had the issue before and had got the clutch master cylinder changed two years back. But I think it has gone kaput.

4. Interiors are a mess. My seat covers were the fabric ones and they look dated. Looking to get some imitation leather seat covers, new mats etc.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:57   #6632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

1. I've got a minor PS leak from the rack. Need to get that fixed. Besides that, there is a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel when the car is stationary. Is the issue related to the above or it could be the bearing?
As far as I know Honda replaces entire PS rack assembly which costs like 50k plus tax and labour and consumables charges (PS fluid etc.) You can get the leak fixed using a PS rack repair kit which is available in the range of 5000-6000 and can be done in other competent garages. Just take the car to HASS and lets see what they say about it.

And about the interiors, dont get one of those custom fit seat covers available in the market. Despite what they says, its still not a tight fit and the car will look cheap. So get some good seatcovers (art. leather) stitched from an upholstery shop. I saw a Civic last week with dark red/maroon seats and doorpads in art. leather and it looked better than OE finish. The owner said it cost him like 10k for doorpads and seats with extra lumbar support and thigh support. I am sure you can find a good upholstery shop in your area to do something like that. Its worth the time and money.
XtremeTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 16:44   #6633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
As far as I know Honda replaces entire PS rack assembly which costs like 50k plus tax and labour and consumables charges (PS fluid etc.)

And about the interiors, dont get one of those custom fit seat covers available in the market. Despite what they says, its still not a tight fit and the car will look cheap. So get some good seatcovers (art. leather) stitched from an upholstery shop. I saw a Civic last week with dark red/maroon seats and doorpads in art. leather and it looked better than OE finish. The owner said it cost him like 10k for doorpads and seats with extra lumbar support and thigh support. I am sure you can find a good upholstery shop in your area to do something like that. Its worth the time and money.
Yea I've got that figured. Already had a word with my trusty FNG and they quoted 4k. Pretty reasonable imho. Honda had quoted 80k

I'm looking to get good art. leather stitched as well. My budget being the same within 10k. Can anyone recommend a good upholstery shop in south delhi?
Old 17th June 2015, 14:39   #6634

Apex Honda is again keen to replace the power steering pump, rack, etc. on my civic. Please recommend a garage to have this seen, preferably not far from Lower Parel. Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 17:47   #6635
Senior - BHPian

Okay. An update. it seems the PS rack is intact. The pump has a minor leak, apparently due to a body crack. My mechanic is trying to do a fix. If that doesn't work out, I'm looking at a hefty expense.
Old 17th June 2015, 23:19   #6636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbaiBoy View Post
Apex Honda is again keen to replace the power steering pump, rack, etc. on my civic. Please recommend a garage to have this seen, preferably not far from Lower Parel. Thanks
You could go to Mr. Sunil Shanbaug, his garage is located in the lane which goes from Dadar East station towards Hindmata signal. Its in line with Kailash Parbat next to Dadar station.

Sunil is a very knowledgeable person and I have always found him to extremely honest. He will not ask you replace any parts which do not need replacing or try to con you in any way.

Garage number: 022 24149910
Cel: 9833885868

Let us know how things go.

Cheers
Old 18th June 2015, 11:15   #6637

Thanks. I will visit Shanbaug over the next few days. The power steering leak seems to be a common and recurring problem.
Old 18th June 2015, 12:29   #6638
BHPian

I have the same problem with my car. PS has a leak and has to be fixed soon. HASS Kalina is willing to repair at 18K-23K. Replacement is 80K and they advised not to go for it. I am thinking, how nice of them
Old 18th June 2015, 12:33   #6639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthkhatau View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 2008 Civic AT . The steering wheel shakes / vibrates when i break at speeds upwards of 60 km/hr What do you think the problem could be?
It would be great if you'll could help me out as I'm giving the car for servicing soon.

Thanks.
I had a similar problem, however above 95 KMPH speed. Wheel alignment was done and the problem was resolved. You may want to try it.

Also, does your steering vibrate when you start your car in the morning ? If it does then have your engine mounts checked.

Let me know if you have any further queries.
spoth001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 14:30   #6640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
I have the same problem with my car. PS has a leak and has to be fixed soon. HASS Kalina is willing to repair at 18K-23K. Replacement is 80K and they advised not to go for it. I am thinking, how nice of them
PS leak even at Honda should not cost more than 10-12K max unless any PS hose is needed to be replaced. Suggest going to a independant garage for same. It would cost max 5 to 6k. Jatin Patel of Wagen Werkz (mentioned in T-bhp directory) could do the same for you. Avoid places like Pai Auto (located at santacruz Khira Nagar) these guys are incompetent people and cannot tell the difference between their butt and their elbow. I am mentioning them since i think you stay around the same area. I would recommend Jatin but he does charge a bit premium but you be rest assured of a good job since the PS is a critical component of the car. Prakash stores at milan subway had also mentioned to me that he can do the job for around 5 to 6k but i haven't seen his work so not sure about him.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 15:24   #6641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Is the issue with the pump or the rack?

I had a similar problem. The rack was intact but the pump had a very minor leak as the body had cracked. Got it fixed but my mechanic said there was still some minor leak. Given it again today. Lets see how it goes. Otherwise I'm looking at buying a new pump.
Old 18th June 2015, 16:38   #6642
BANNED

My clutch stopped working in the middle of the road. Clutch pedal seems have disconnected and it is moving freely now... Any idea what it could be ?

Me waiting on the road for towing guys to pull it to HASS..
Old 18th June 2015, 17:30   #6643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
My clutch stopped working in the middle of the road. Clutch pedal seems have disconnected and it is moving freely now... Any idea what it could be ?

Me waiting on the road for towing guys to pull it to HASS..
Check for clutch fluid. If it's low top it up, pump the clutch pedal and check again. It's a hydraulic clutch and the slave and master cylinder could fail. If the the car has not done close to say 80-90k kms don't allow Hass to overhaul the clutch. Chances are the cylinders need to be looked into and not a clutch overhaul which the Hass could push for.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 18th June 2015 at 17:34.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 18:12   #6644
BHPian

Quote:

I had a similar problem. The rack was intact but the pump had a very minor leak as the body had cracked. Got it fixed but my mechanic said there was still some minor leak. Given it again today. Lets see how it goes. Otherwise I'm looking at buying a new pump.
Can you suggest the right place to get the steering pump repaired.. I have to refill the hydraulic fluid once a month or so.. mechanic have suggested replacement.. Can someone suggest a good place to buy one.. Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 18:19   #6645
BHPian

Quote:

Hey the report says STRG OIL LEAK FROM RACK & PUMP. I assume its leaking from both parts. But is it actually possible ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks