Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2015, 22:20   #7126
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

^ I think the cost for painting the entire car will run around 35k at an FNG. This is quite reasonable considering HASS asked for 30k plus taxes for painting the rear quarter panel and to brush off minor scratches around the car like that on rear bumper and running board.
Enquired the same at an FNG and he is willing to do the job for 6k. The only issue is the clause of leaving the car with him for 2 days which I am not comfortable with.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 22:56   #7127
BHPian

Hi guys one question, how can I get fuel efficiency display on my Honda Civic 2007 AT ? I know it's not possible but is there any other way or device which may help ?
Old 18th December 2015, 13:02   #7128
Team-BHP Support

hey guys,

of late, my civic 2009 civic A/T mileage has suddenly dipped very sharply. I used to get 6-6.5 in Bbay heavy traffic. Now its about 5 kmpl.

I've serviced it and told the garage this and he expressly said he'll address this with tuning etc. but its still status quo

Any idea what I could try to improve this or what could be the reason for the sharp drop? Its run about 57,000 kms and maintained on schedule.

Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 14:38   #7129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
hey guys,

of late, my civic 2009 civic A/T mileage has suddenly dipped very sharply. I used to get 6-6.5 in Bbay heavy traffic. Now its about 5 kmpl.

I've serviced it and told the garage this and he expressly said he'll address this with tuning etc. but its still status quo

Any idea what I could try to improve this or what could be the reason for the sharp drop? Its run about 57,000 kms and maintained on schedule.

Thanks
Hi guys,

Does civic AT really gives such a low mileage? I am about to buy one. But a friend cautioned me yesterday stating that he knows two people who have civic AT and it never gives more than 5-6 kmpl. I am afraid I can't afford a car with such FE. I am fine with 9 in city but not 5.

nIk
Old 18th December 2015, 15:06   #7130
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20151217_085057.jpg

Guys the right side seems to be oily and might be a leak. I haven't noticed a large drop in the power steering fluid reservoir but i think i might need to get this looked into. what do you guys think ? Is this normal ?
Old 18th December 2015, 17:32   #7131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi guys,

Does civic AT really gives such a low mileage? I am about to buy one. But a friend cautioned me yesterday stating that he knows two people who have civic AT and it never gives more than 5-6 kmpl. I am afraid I can't afford a car with such FE. I am fine with 9 in city but not 5.

nIk

For an A/T 9 for civic is very optimistic if it's mostly heavy traffic. I'd say you'd be lucky to get more than 7.5 in any metro. Consider the City A/T in that case. We have one and it gives us very good mileage. It won't be unreasonable to expect 9-10 in city with the Honda City.
Old 19th December 2015, 22:40   #7132
BHPian

Hi Axe77,

My usage is typically on highways. I drive 2500 kms a month out of which 2k plus kms are on highway. I thought of buying a city auto for a little while however it costs almost equivalent to a similar model Civic in the used car market. That's why I am tempted to buy a Civic. Also city feels barebones in terms of features in comparison to Civic. Also my brother owns a manual and I have driven it extensively. Hence not giving city too much attention.
Old 19th December 2015, 22:51   #7133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Axe77,

My usage is typically on highways. I drive 2500 kms a month out of which 2k plus kms are on highway. I thought of buying a city auto for a little while however it costs almost equivalent to a similar model Civic in the used car market. That's why I am tempted to buy a Civic. Also city feels barebones in terms of features in comparison to Civic. Also my brother owns a manual and I have driven it extensively. Hence not giving city too much attention.
Aren't you going to convert the car to CNG assuming you have a lot of running as mentioned. In CNG it will easily give close to 20 per KG on the highway. I get around 21-22 per KG on 50% highway driving but my timings are during non peak hours and i have a manual. Also i believe here on this very thread people have observed that their automatics deliver better FE than the manual Civic on the highway.
Old 19th December 2015, 23:16   #7134
BHPian

Yes Sumeet,

I will be converting the car to CNG. I drive 70 kms on highway everyday out of which 35 kms are done at 2 in the night so no traffic at all. Apart from that I drive around 10 kms in city with light traffic. One of my friends just cautioned me that his Civic never gives above 6 and he has another friend who has the same experience which got me thinking. Also I have been looking for a Civic for some 2 months and have not been able to find a genuine car with decent odo reading. Every car which is there with dealers in delhi will show the odo at 50-60k and when you check with Honda the car would have done at least a lac kms. On two occasions I confronted the dealers and they admitted to tempering the odo and claimed if I would have gone ahead with the deal they would have informed me about the actual odo reading. And on top of it all these cars which I am talking about are certified cars with warranty on them. Now I am not sure where to find the right Car.

Last edited by nik0502 : 19th December 2015 at 23:22.
Old 19th December 2015, 23:22   #7135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sumeet,

I will be converting the car to CNG. I drive 70 kms on highway everyday out of which 35 kms are done at 2 in the night so no traffic at all. Apart from that I drive around 10 kms in city with light traffic. One of my friends just cautioned me that his Civic never gives above 6 and he has another friend who has the same experience got me thinking.
If you running on CNG it just doesn't matter much even if it gives 6-7 in petrol mode. In similar conditions of heavy traffic you will easily get min 10-12 per KG atleast in CNG.

Quote:
Now I am not sure where to find the right Car.
I think you should try all Honda dealers in your area and see if they have any used Civics.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th December 2015 at 23:39.
Old 20th December 2015, 08:33   #7136
BANNED

On the highway the best I have seen in my Civic AT is 18kpl, and 12-14 is quite normal. Of course if you drive hard (using the VTeC cam a lot) then it drops to about 11-12kpl.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 14:38   #7137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If you running on CNG it just doesn't matter much even if it gives 6-7 in petrol mode. In similar conditions of heavy traffic you will easily get min 10-12 per KG atleast in CNG.

I think you should try all Honda dealers in your area and see if they have any used Civics.
Hey Sumeet,

Already checked with all the Honda dealers. The problem is that Honda does not have any car to which an existing Civic owner can upgrade. Also someone from Honda told me that even if they get good cars they have dedicated dealers to whom they sell the cars. I checked with that dealar and he is asking 1 lac over the market value for a Civic and that too a 2nd owner car.
Old 20th December 2015, 17:02   #7138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sumeet,

Already checked with all the Honda dealers. The problem is that Honda does not have any car to which an existing Civic owner can upgrade. Also someone from Honda told me that even if they get good cars they have dedicated dealers to whom they sell the cars. I checked with that dealar and he is asking 1 lac over the market value for a Civic an d that too a 2nd owner car.
If its a genuine low mileage car then haggle with him and try for it. Try from other cities as well. You can get the regn transferred. GTO's mumbai civic was sold to a person residing in kerala.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 20th December 2015 at 17:06.
Old 21st December 2015, 15:29   #7139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hey guys,

Thanks
Just wondering if anyone had any inputs as to what aspects I need to have looked at for the above issue.

On a related note, I'm also wondering if its worth while to convert to CNG if I plan to keep this car for another 2 - 3 years. Again, my interest is primarily to do with refueling at less frequent intervals more than anything else - the cheaper running costs is just a welcome extra (although its neutralised with the loss of boot space).

Many thanks,
Old 21st December 2015, 18:16   #7140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone had any inputs as to what aspects I need to have looked at for the above issue.

On a related note, I'm also wondering if its worth while to convert to CNG if I plan to keep this car for another 2 - 3 years. Again, my interest is primarily to do with refueling at less frequent intervals more than anything else - the cheaper running costs is just a welcome extra (although its neutralised with the loss of boot space).

Many thanks,
I have to refuel if run mostly on CNG every 3 days or every min 150kms. So if you want to convert to CNG for longer refuelling interval it might be a bad idea. Given lower fuel prices of petrol i would suggest running on petrol. The tank will make the rear sag visciously when 3 people sit at the rear and believe me it's not a pretty sight.

Most Viewed