Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2016, 12:21   #7291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
A new issue has cropped up, that too in summer

The fan which cools the condenser is making some weird noise, as it is scrapping somewhere. Hope the motor is fine and its just some lubrication issue.
My main fan motor was making a noise similar to yours. Got it replaced with a new Denso make for around 2.8k from a ac garage. 100 bucks labor for replacement. I would suggest replacing same before it dies due to the summer heat.

Edit: The condenser fan will cost around 3.2k after market.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 17th March 2016 at 12:24.
Old 17th March 2016, 12:34   #7292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshots View Post
UPDATE : Mar 13, 2016 - Ultimately I did take the Civic to Raghav and after a test drive, he said everything seems ok. However knowing my car well, I pointed out the nuances and ultimately he opined that the clutch might replacement.
Its a huge change when I drive the car now, yes I do have to rev the RPM to be around 1800 or so, but clutch is smooth and so is the car. Raghav encourages me to push the car around Long story short, very happy with Ignite
Thanks guys/Team bhp. Definitely looking forward to my next visit to Ignite!
Great to hear your issue is solved. I have the same problem with my Civic with the clutch being hard. Have been contemplating taking the car to him and you have now whetted my appetite all the more to do so. Which branch did you go to BTW ?
Old 17th March 2016, 22:13   #7293

I did go to the one near Akkarai (Near ECR/OMR Link road). Later Raghav told me there was another one his friend operates in Palavakkam. BTW, I was offered the XCD stage 1 clutch which is a step up from OEM, so I suggest that. How many miles does your car have on it? Hard clutch may not necessarily mean replacement, although its it the easiest diagnosis. Check for clutch slippage, mileage variations and sluggish pulls. If none of these happen, then you are better off with the existing one(Check my thread for other ideas from fellow BHPians). Good luck and keep me posted what you decided to do.
slickshots is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 06:59   #7294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My main fan motor was making a noise similar to yours. Got it replaced with a new Denso make for around 2.8k from a ac garage. 100 bucks labor for replacement. I would suggest replacing same before it dies due to the summer heat.

Edit: The condenser fan will cost around 3.2k after market.
Yesterday I removed the condenser fan and ran it. Removing and fitting condenser fan is very easy, you need not even remove the bumper. It makes a lot of noise as some bearing went bad inside. This was the one I replaced an year back. Denso make from aftermarket. Now I am worried if the next one from aftermarket will have the same fate! The OEM one lasted 8 years.

Let me check how much it costs at HASS. I am tending to think and feel the spares at HASS though pricey, have a higher standard of quality than these aftermarket ones.

Two experiences now
1. Engine mount - aftermarket one lasted only 10K kms and 8 months
2. Condenser fan - just an year, 9K kms, all city drives with ac
Old 18th March 2016, 09:33   #7295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Yesterday I removed the condenser fan and ran it. Removing and fitting condenser fan is very easy, you need not even remove the bumper. It makes a lot of noise as some bearing went bad inside. This was the one I replaced an year back. Denso make from aftermarket. Now I am worried if the next one from aftermarket will have the same fate! The OEM one lasted 8 years.

Let me check how much it costs at HASS. I am tending to think and feel the spares at HASS though pricey, have a higher standard of quality than these aftermarket ones.

Two experiences now
1. Engine mount - aftermarket one lasted only 10K kms and 8 months
2. Condenser fan - just an year, 9K kms, all city drives with ac
Use the Denso Fan motor that is a fit for the Maruti Esteem. Ask for the one with a 'black coupler'. It fits beautifully. Should cost around 2.4k. Thereby you're guaranteed an original Denso Motor. If it's a Denso for the Civic, an original costs way more. I've got the same and no issues whatsoever.

Aftermarket Engine mount for 1.9k. Bought from Ghai Spares in Delhi. It's been 45k kms, still holding well. I think all you need to do is locate a very reliable spare shop which provides quality aftermarket spares.
Old 18th March 2016, 11:38   #7296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshots View Post
I did go to the one near Akkarai (Near ECR/OMR Link road). Later Raghav told me there was another one his friend operates in Palavakkam. BTW, I was offered the XCD stage 1 clutch which is a step up from OEM, so I suggest that. How many miles does your car have on it? Hard clutch may not necessarily mean replacement, although its it the easiest diagnosis. Check for clutch slippage, mileage variations and sluggish pulls. If none of these happen, then you are better off with the existing one(Check my thread for other ideas from fellow BHPians). Good luck and keep me posted what you decided to do.
My clutch functions absolutely fine without any hassles but for the hardness. Plus am a very sedate driver and treat my car like a baby so there's no pushing her around. She has just clocked 20000 kms a few days back. I prefer a clutch that is soft on the foot. The exedy stage 1 and 2 clutches if I understand right are more for rough use and racing and hence do not cater to my needs. Since you have upgraded to the stage 1 clutch, can you tell me what the difference is from the OEM and if it suits your requirements? Thanks again !
Old 20th March 2016, 00:45   #7297
BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

So my friends, my civic went for service today. Infact I dropped her at linkway honda chandivali today myself. Around midday, as a part of the routine check called up the SA. He said car will be delayed since the "3rd cylinder is not working"
Later he confirmed that it has been resolved but retracted within an hour.
Anyone else has faced same issue ever, "3rd cylinder not firing"? Help please.

PS: this is 1Lac+ major service where I've been told that spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter etc etc should be changed. I agreed.

Last edited by 1lokesh : 20th March 2016 at 00:48.
Old 20th March 2016, 02:38   #7298
BHPian

There may be mis-firing occurring in the third cylinder. There is no "not-working" scenario in a running engine. It may be your ignition coil or other electronic component causing the error.
Old 20th March 2016, 09:40   #7299
BHPian

Probably that's what he meant. They haven't been able to pin point the problem yet. When he earlier said that its fixed, it was some lose connection according to him.
Old 20th March 2016, 21:26   #7300

I think if your clutch is functioning well, especially for 20k suggest not to tinker with it or change, irrespective of hardness. I am happy with the new clutch, more responsive but I prefer to not push it around too often. Good luck with you project

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
My clutch functions absolutely fine without any hassles but for the hardness. Plus am a very sedate driver and treat my car like a baby so there's no pushing her around. She has just clocked 20000 kms a few days back. I prefer a clutch that is soft on the foot. The exedy stage 1 and 2 clutches if I understand right are more for rough use and racing and hence do not cater to my needs. Since you have upgraded to the stage 1 clutch, can you tell me what the difference is from the OEM and if it suits your requirements? Thanks again !
slickshots is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 23:07   #7301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Hi,

Has the clutch fluid been changed lately. Before overhauling the clutch i would suggest the clutch fluid to be changed along with clutch bleeding.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 08:27   #7302
Senior - BHPian

I had gone to uttarakhand and there was no issue while going there. When we started to leave, the steering felt really hard. It was like driving a truck. The power steering fluid was in order. The car was manageable only if I revved the engine harder, which somehow made it easier to turn. Driving on higher speeds wasn't a problem, it was only in low speeds or to start moving from a standstill that required a lot of effort.

Got back to Delhi and got it checked at my trusty FNG. The PS pump turned out to be fine. The issue was diagnosed by him as being the PS fluid that I've been using that wasn't agreeing with the system. Then I remembered that I had topped up before the trip with fluid from a new bottle. Will get a different fluid and flush the system and see how it plays out.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:04   #7303
BANNED

@coolkurt; A nice warning to all of us. Watch out that the fluids are to the liking of the taste of the car.
Old 21st March 2016, 10:13   #7304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@coolkurt; A nice warning to all of us. Watch out that the fluids are to the liking of the taste of the car.
That's the weird part. I've always used 'Castrol Transpower TQ' as the PS fluid. This time, when I got the new bottle and I was topping it up, I thought that the consistency was a bit off..the liquid was much thinner. But since it was the same brand that I've always used, I brushed the concern off. There was something not right with that particular bottle.
I had bought it on the highway during an emergency..( I've got a minor PS leak issue.).
All the more a lesson for us to be careful where we buy the spares, oils etc as well.
Old 21st March 2016, 12:38   #7305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
So my friends, my civic went for service today. Infact I dropped her at linkway honda chandivali today myself. Around midday, as a part of the routine check called up the SA. He said car will be delayed since the "3rd cylinder is not working"
Later he confirmed that it has been resolved but retracted within an hour.
Anyone else has faced same issue ever, "3rd cylinder not firing"? Help please.

PS: this is 1Lac+ major service where I've been told that spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter etc etc should be changed. I agreed.
Update: The Service advisor called up in the morning today after a lot of chasing over the weekend. Car is still with them. He told me that the mis-firing issue has been resolved by cleaning fuel injector. phew!! Hope that its resolved for good now.

One issue that I asked him to look into in particular was that the car shudders whenever the AC kicks in. Especially in current whether during the evenings when the outside temperature is around 29 degrees and I have set it inside at 26, resulting frequent kick ins and cut outs of the compressor. Now these shudders are not only limited to AC, but the car also shudders, though less violently, when I centrally lock the car through the arm rest control.

SA says he has checked this in 3 other civics in garage and its there in all of them so nothing to worry. I distinctively remember that this issue has cropped up recently. Anyone else here can confirm if they have the same shudder in their Civic? To me this seems to be an issue of inadequate power, which is not in line with Civic's reputation.

SA also told me that AC condenser fan has gone kaput and I should get it replaced. I refused and called up Anis at Unicool Ghatkopar. He is quoting INR 3.5k vs 5k quote of HASS. Seems to be a known issue looking at recent posts in this thread.

A long drive is coming up this Wednesday to Goa Should I be worried about this condenser fan immediately or can it wait till I come back? I don't really have any problem with functioning of the AC except the shudders.
1lokesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks