Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2016, 07:48   #7321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi pixantz,

The chilling is quite good when the compressor is working however it is not cooling the car down properly as the compressor is cutting off too frequently. So when the car is running on a hot sunny day the compressor has to work continuously for some time in order to cool the car down completely and that is how it was some days back. But now the compressor keeps on cutting off as soon as i start the car even if the temperature is 35 degree outside and car is quite hot.
Turns out to be low refrigerant. Also diagnose why its low. I got the refrigerant filled twice before i realized that the evaporation coil was kaput. Replaced it with a new Denso one and got the gas filled. No issues.
Old 24th March 2016, 09:50   #7322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Compressor continuously cutting in and out is often an indication of too low refrigeration, so try and top it up and see what happens.
Jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

I will go the AC mechanic tomorrow, however does not look like a gas issue to me because when the compressor is on and its damn chilling. if I keep my hand on the vent just to check if the compressor is cutting off or not I start feeling uncomfortable in about a minutes time. its that cold. Its just it is not staying on for enough long.
Old 24th March 2016, 12:54   #7323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Jeroen,

I will go the AC mechanic tomorrow, however does not look like a gas issue to me because when the compressor is on and its damn chilling. if I keep my hand on the vent just to check if the compressor is cutting off or not I start feeling uncomfortable in about a minutes time. its that cold. Its just it is not staying on for enough long.
I felt the same too. I did the AC diagnostic as well and the AC was a chiller. Low refrigerant doesn't affect the cooling at times. In my case the evaporator coil was leaking, hence the refrigerant got low.
Old 24th March 2016, 15:00   #7324
BHPian

So had the same issue which crops up during every long drive. No/very less cooling with very little air blow even when blower set to high and temperature set to "24".
Opened windows, turned auto mode to "hi" for 10 minutes and switched it back to "24" in auto mode. AC started working fine. I'm fed up of this! Going to check if the ac is low on gas as soon as I'm back in mumbai.
Old 24th March 2016, 15:19   #7325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
So had the same issue which crops up during every long drive. No/very less cooling with very little air blow even when blower set to high and temperature set to "24".
Opened windows, turned auto mode to "hi" for 10 minutes and switched it back to "24" in auto mode. AC started working fine. I'm fed up of this! Going to check if the ac is low on gas as soon as I'm back in mumbai.
Your cooling coil is choked up. Period. Even the ASS guys don't tell you that until you register a complaint and then they charge the hell out of you.

OK, so a heads up for all AC related problems. Every issue is NOT RELATED TO INSUFFICIENT GAS!! There can be more than half a dozen reasons and it varies from car to car. So that's that.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th March 2016 at 18:35. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 24th March 2016, 15:38   #7326
BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Your cooling coil is choked up. Period. Even the ASS guys don't tell you that until you register a complaint and then they charge the hell out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
OK, so a heads up for all AC related problems. Every issue is NOT RELATED TO INSUFFICIENT GAS!! There can be more than half a dozen reasons and it varies from car to car. So that's that.

I'm now confused. What is the problem?
I'm thinking of if gas was low low how could it cool it again to optimum level?

Last edited by 1lokesh : 24th March 2016 at 15:39.
Old 24th March 2016, 16:41   #7327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lokesh was the ac relay looked into ?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 18:32   #7328
BHPian

Quote:
Your problem is a classic choked up cooling coil problem. Get it leak checked and cleaned. Check if both fans up front are working at full speed during AC operation. Fill in fresh gas and comp oil topup. Have fun.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2016, 18:56   #7329
Senior - BHPian

I just chanced to visit HASS. Checked the Condenser fan motor cost, it says ~12K. With the assembly including frame and fan it is 16K.

Anyways i will be traveling to Europe soon, I will pick it up there after sourcing it and check. Seems some 20Euros for Denso!
Old 25th March 2016, 12:37   #7330
BHPian

Friends,

Anyone got his discs skimmed recently from an FNG?

I need an idea of the approx cost.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th March 2016, 12:47   #7331
Senior - BHPian

The power steering reservoir is half choked with dirt for some reason. My mechanic is trying his best to get it clear. There's a screen inside that acts as a filter and it seems to have stopped a lot of dirt, which is actually good as it stopped any particles from getting further into the system.

A new reservoir costs around Rs 1800 :/ Any ideas on how to go about cleaning this? Or is there a way to open the top portion of the reservoir? we tried but it looks like its not possible.
Old 25th March 2016, 15:56   #7332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Friends,

Anyone got his discs skimmed recently from an FNG?

I need an idea of the approx cost.

Thanks in advance.
I've got my rotors skimmed. Those were sent to Lathe for skimming.
Price paid for skimming was around 1200 for a pair of rotors
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 15:25   #7333
BHPian

Bhpians,
I have another query regarding the oil level of the civic. I had recently changed to synthetic oil. On checking the dipstick, I find the oil level to be slightly more than the upper limit. Is this okay or it should be reduced?
Old 26th March 2016, 16:36   #7334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Bhpians,
I have another query regarding the oil level of the civic. I had recently changed to synthetic oil. On checking the dipstick, I find the oil level to be slightly more than the upper limit. Is this okay or it should be reduced?
Depends upon how much more than the upper limit. If it is more like a couple of millilitres then I wouldn't worry. If substantially more then it can create more than required pressure and may lead to a leak in the head gasket leading to big service bills.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 17:51   #7335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The power steering reservoir is half choked with dirt for some reason.
A new reservoir costs around Rs 1800 :/ Any ideas on how to go about cleaning this? Or is there a way to open the top portion of the reservoir? we tried but it looks like its not possible.
If available then I will get it put into an ultrasonic bath. Works almost all the time.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks