Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2016, 16:30   #7351
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Friends,

On Friday I gave our Civic for part painting and servicing to an FNG in Ambattur, Chennai.

The service was excellent. I am a satisfied customer.

However yesterday I found my younger son rolling on the floor with mirth. After controlling himself with great effort he pointed the upside down Honda logo to me.

A minor issue that I will get corrected soon.

However my query is that "What kind of glue they use for fixing such fixtures?. Hope it does not leave its mark on the freshly painted surface.".
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic.jpg  

Last edited by skdking : 30th March 2016 at 16:39.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 18:04   #7352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
However my query is that "What kind of glue they use for fixing such fixtures?. Hope it does not leave its mark on the freshly painted surface.".
It is usually a 3M or equivalent UHB (ultra high bonding) tape. The adhesive marks - if any - can be removed with a adhesive remover spray that most paint shops usually have.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 18:09   #7353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

On Friday I gave our Civic for part painting and servicing to an FNG in Ambattur, Chennai.

The service was excellent. I am a satisfied customer.
Which FNG is this in Ambattur ? My rear bumper needs a fresh coat of paint. HASS is asking north of 4K INR for the same.
Old 30th March 2016, 18:12   #7354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
The most likely culprit is a non-working PCV valve. Have it checked and replaced, the problem should disappear.
The HASS here has not been able to source the PCV valve even after a month. The SA called today to communicate that it's a dead inventory item at Honda's end so he has no idea when they'll be supplied with one.
Old 30th March 2016, 20:15   #7355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Which FNG is this in Ambattur ? My rear bumper needs a fresh coat of paint. HASS is asking north of 4K INR for the same.
MyTVS. Located near Olympia Honda.
Old 30th March 2016, 21:59   #7356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MyTVS. Located near Olympia Honda.
Wow the car looks Hot. How much did it cost to paint king ?

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 12:43   #7357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Wow the car looks Hot. How much did it cost to paint king ?

Thanks.
Thanks, Sumeet.

I got the entire right side, plus the dicky boot, painted owing to minor scratches.

Cost 10K.

Whole body polishing too. Cost 3K.

Thanks.

Last edited by skdking : 31st March 2016 at 12:44.
Old 31st March 2016, 12:47   #7358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, Sumeet.

I got the entire right side, plus the dicky boot, painted owing to minor scratches.

Cost 10K.

Thanks.
Looks good. I think the dealer charges Rs. 80,000 for repainting the whole car.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 12:51   #7359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Sumeet.

Cost 10K.

Thanks.
The charges seem to be reasonable for the area painted. The only apprehension I have is if the FNGs are good at matching the color with the original and if they use a good brand of paint. HASS has the formula to mix different paints to arrive at the right match. This was demonstrated to me once during the first year anniversary celebrations of Olympia Honda.
Old 31st March 2016, 14:17   #7360

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Bhpians,

I have two unresolved problems in my Civic.

The first one is the clutch judder which causes a noise and jerk in both the first and reverse gears. What would be the solution?
Dear petroguzzler, the clutch judder is a normal issue on Civic, if the judder is too high, please check the engine mount gap and replace if needed. Now if the engine mount issue is ruled out, for the normal judder you can overcome it with giving more gas in the 1st gear or in the reverse, it's a case of adjusting your clutch and accelerator modulation to overcome this.

Quote:
Bhpians,
The second issue is spongy brakes. I had changed the entire front brake discs, calipers and pads. In spite of this the brakes are spongy and ineffective. HASS tells that it would improve with usage. Is it right?
There seems to be air in the brake pipeline leading to the spongy effect. Usually Honda Civic brake pedal feel is spot on and other drivers driving it usually complain while applying brakes saying its just too sharp.

I think in your case since you have changed all parts including the calipers, there is air in the pipeline as well as in the calipers, which needs to be bleeded out. To remove air from the calipers it needs to be hit with a rubber mallet to release the air bubbles clinging onto the caliper walls behind the piston and the piston needs to be compressed inside the calipers before you do so, hope this helps and your brake feel will be back to the sharpness it usually should have. You also need to ensure the technicians doing the brake line bleeding are following the proper process, you can find specific information for the same in the forum here and this thread will also have many posts with references on the same.

Cheers.
Amit
amitsatpathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 15:23   #7361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looks good. I think the dealer charges Rs. 80,000 for repainting the whole car.
Yup. You are right. For repainting the car entirely, after stripping, one has to budget around Rs. 80000/-.

In my case it was only repainting of the panels. Thus less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
....... The only apprehension I have is if the FNGs are good at matching the color with the original and if they use a good brand of paint. HASS has the formula to mix different paints to arrive at the right match. .....
rr_zen, you also are right.
Old 1st April 2016, 08:53   #7362
BHPian

Bhpians,
I have a query.

I have observed that Maruti engines, especially the wagon r on idling produces a lot of water droplets, while the civic produces less of water droplets. Any specific reason to this?
Old 1st April 2016, 09:32   #7363
BHPian

Quote:
Bhpians,
I have a query.

I have observed that Maruti engines, especially the wagon r on idling produces a lot of water droplets, while the civic produces less of water droplets. Any specific reason to this?
I believe that is because of the length of the car. Civic is quite long as compared to wagon R and with that bigger engine it's supposed to generate lot more heat as compared to wagon R and all the water droplets would get evaporated because of the heat and length of the exhaust. I had my car on a jack at my mechanic's place because he was checking for the PS leak. And the engine was on. And then I noticed there were lot of water droplets coming out of the exhaust. Because as the car was on jack from the front the water drops would be travelling faster to the end of the exhaust before they get evaporated. I may be wrong but this is my understanding. Senior bhpians please suggest.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 16:23   #7364
Senior - BHPian

Okay. So the PS pump finally went kaput. Got an original Honda replacement for Rs 13500 from Rahul Motors at Palika Bhawan. Quite a steal, considering even Ghai Spares quoted 18-19k. Changed the PS fluid bottle too for Rs 1500 as the older one was clogged with dirt. Labour - 600.

Total damages - 15600. Peace of mind prevails
Old 2nd April 2016, 08:36   #7365
BHPian

I am taking my Civic for the periodic service (basically oil change) to a near workshop. Can anyone help me with the replacement interval of fuel filter and airfilter? Last time I changed them were 10,000 Kms back.

Also just want to confirm that the engine oil capacity is 3.75 Litres?

Thanks!

Last edited by aa_asif : 2nd April 2016 at 08:39.

Most Viewed