Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2016, 08:01   #7591
BANNED

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Despite all the doubts I had, the aftermarket engine mount lasted for 50k kms. I'd bought the same 2 years ago for Rs 1900 from Ghai. So I consider myself lucky that I got a decent quality part.
Remember after market are not necessarily sub-standard. Technically Bilstein or Koni are also after market. In case of vehicles with a very high indigenisation it is often a matter of identifying the OE manufacturer.

Most firms have two or three OEMs and these chaps often sell it in the open market under their own label.
Old 1st July 2016, 19:54   #7592
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I have joined the Civic club as of 24-06-2016. Its a 2008 Urban Titanium M/T with 81k on the ODO. The car is in excellent condition externally. The interior would need some touch up on the leather seats. The engine mounts have been recently changed along with the brake-pads and the suspension is also in good condition. The deal was struck at Rs.345000.

The low-beam of LHS headlight is weak and will be going for replacement of all the bulbs in next week. I have ordered HB4 9006 and HB3 9005 pairs from Amazon as i checked with some shops in Pune and nobody had them. The cost for 2 pairs was Rs.2300. Can anyone please guide me as to which bulb goes in the fog lamps.

Will post the pics soon.

Last edited by KaandBaaz : 1st July 2016 at 19:57.
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:57   #7593
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Intend to pick up an excellent condition 33K done, 2012 Civic Auto top end model. Apparently it's a limited edition one with Sunroof, navigation, leather seats etc.

It would be primary used by my wife for her daily commute of 35 odd KMs. We intend to keep it for 5 years minimum. Our 2010 City (3rd Gen) has been serving us really well and its been a completely fuss free ownership so far. Its just the convenience of auto that made us look for an alternative, and I figured only the Corolla and Civic would make sense in terms of being an upgrade that's equally reliable.

The only concerns I'm having is being a discontinued model, whether there would be an issue in obtaining spares in future. Also, this thread is making me wonder if the Civic is indeed as reliable as a typical Honda(I may be wrong on this though so would love to stand corrected).

The other alternate is that we can continue using our City for a few more years and then buy something new when finances permit. But it's the availability of a clean low run Civic which also has all the bells and whistles, that's tempting me to bite the bullet.

What would you guys suggest?

Last edited by avisidhu : 2nd July 2016 at 11:58.
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:30   #7594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Hello Folks,

I have joined the Civic club as of 24-06-2016. Its a 2008 Urban Titanium M/T with 81k on the ODO. The car is in excellent condition externally. The interior would need some touch up on the leather seats. The engine mounts have been recently changed along with the brake-pads and the suspension is also in good condition. The deal was struck at Rs.345000.

The low-beam of LHS headlight is weak and will be going for replacement of all the bulbs in next week. I have ordered HB4 9006 and HB3 9005 pairs from Amazon as i checked with some shops in Pune and nobody had them. The cost for 2 pairs was Rs.2300. Can anyone please guide me as to which bulb goes in the fog lamps.

Will post the pics soon.
Please check this page.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...st-dos-79.html

Best wishes.
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:42   #7595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
it's a limited edition one with Sunroof, navigation
I never knew there was an edition with Sunroof, etc on the Civic.

Quote:
The only concerns I'm having is being a discontinued model, whether there would be an issue in obtaining spares in future. Also, this thread is making me wonder if the Civic is indeed as reliable as a typical Honda(I may be wrong on this though so would love to stand corrected).
Mine is a 2007 AT model, still silky smooth, no problems worth mentioning so far (though others on this thread have had problems).

My family get upset with me if I even give a hint of selling it, we are all emotionally bound to this car!
Old 2nd July 2016, 13:08   #7596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Mine is a 2007 AT model, still silky smooth, no problems worth mentioning so far (though others on this thread have had problems).

My family get upset with me if I even give a hint of selling it, we are all emotionally bound to this car!
Thanks Manim. It's very reassuring to hear this from an Owner since I'm quite jittery right now With yours kids and wife in the equation, a car purchase decision acquires a completely new perspective.

Yes this one is a limited edition it seems, at least that's what the current owner tells me. I think sunroof one was there during the later years, but sat nav and leather seats et all are specific to this. Some basic search on net didn't yield me any info though. But by and large, it has all the equipment on the inside to keep me happy. And I'm also elated with the fact that my love affair with the brilliant Ivtech engine would continue
Old 2nd July 2016, 23:32   #7597
BHPian

Quote:

I think sunroof one was there during the later years, but sat nav and leather seats et all are specific to this. Some basic search on net didn't yield me any info though. But by and large, it has all the equipment on the inside to keep me happy.
I can tell you that leather seats came on the top-end V variant much earlier, possibly from the beginning. My '08 Civic AT, (which I bought second-hand last year with 66K on the odo) has them. My understanding is that there were two trims on the Civics that sold in India -- S and V. The S didn't have factory-fitted fog lamps, leather seats or blinkers on the ORVMs unlike the V, but were otherwise identical. Both, of course came with manual/automatic transmission choices.

I suppose the thing that might end up being your biggest pain point, given your high expected running, is the low FE of the Civic AT. This especially if the commute is in city traffic. I get 6.5 to 8 kmpl in the city depending on traffic and about 12 on the highway, even when I'm mindful of keeping it below 2000rpm most of the time. Fortunately, my running is of the order of 6000km per year, so it's not too bad. It's a great car though and I love it.
coolvenk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:16   #7598
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Yes, it was a factory option towards the end days of the Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
....My understanding is that there were two trims on the Civics that sold in India -- S and V. The S didn't have factory-fitted fog lamps, leather seats or blinkers on the ORVMs unlike the V, but were otherwise identical. Both, of course came with manual/automatic transmission choices.

I suppose the thing that might end up being your biggest pain point, given your high expected running, is the low FE of the Civic AT. This especially if the commute is in city traffic. I get 6.5 to 8 kmpl in the city depending on traffic and about 12 on the highway, even when I'm mindful of keeping it below 2000rpm most of the time. Fortunately, my running is of the order of 6000km per year, so it's not too bad. It's a great car though and I love it.
The S had AT for some time then it became V only. As for mileage the figures you state are about right. On the highway in you leave your lead boots at home, you can even get 15+ (the best I got was 17+). On my AT I get about 1.5kpl better on thei highway than my son who really enjoys pushing the throttle to bering on the aggressive cam setting. Mind you I do not pussyfoot around but am less aggressive on the throttle.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:20   #7599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My '08 Civic AT, (which I bought second-hand last year with 66K on the odo) has them. .

Hi. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the civic last year. I've got an 09 civic with 62,000 kms so want to benchmark price. Also, which city did you buy in.

Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 09:49   #7600
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Intend to pick up an excellent condition 33K done, 2012 Civic Auto top end model. Apparently it's a limited edition one with Sunroof, navigation, leather seats etc.

It would be primary used by my wife for her daily commute of 35 odd KMs. We intend to keep it for 5 years minimum. Our 2010 City (3rd Gen) has been serving us really well and its been a completely fuss free ownership so far. Its just the convenience of auto that made us look for an alternative, and I figured only the Corolla and Civic would make sense in terms of being an upgrade that's equally reliable.

The other alternate is that we can continue using our City for a few more years and then buy something new when finances permit. But it's the availability of a clean low run Civic which also has all the bells and whistles, that's tempting me to bite the bullet.

Welcome to the civic club. I'm driving a 2009 civic V A/T, pre facelift. 105,000 Km on odo. Runds like a dream. No issues at all, touchwood. Never skipped a beat. Only regular services, brake pads changed at 50k and 100K kms, suspension bushings and linker changed at 85K, and engine mount changed twice. Once under warranty.
I am absolutely in love with this car

Enjoy your ride

rgds
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 10:38   #7601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I think broadly speaking, the Civic is reasonably reliable although it has its share of routine niggles - nothing I wouldn't expect in a City either.

Here's what I can say about the upgrade, barring the obvious difference of A/T convenience.

- It feels much more grown up than a City. I have a 2009 City as well as Civic A/T so speaking from personal ownership experience of 6 - 7 years.

- Leather quality and interior quality are both top notch. It really ages very well so the car will do you good service for many years to come.

- Parts are easily available. I've never had any problem, whether with Honda / aftermarket.

- You'll face a distinct dip in mileage compared to a manual City. Take a personal call if you're ok with that.

- Comfort wise too there's a big difference in the back seat of a Civic over a City.

- The boot is a good 100 litres less in the Civic (~ 500 vs ~ 405). Our City is still the default pick in the garage for long holiday airport runs.

Overall, if you're ok with the mileage dip (& smaller boot), this is ACES in terms of being an upgrade on every front. And for presumably a very modest cost.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 12:07   #7602
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up coolvenk. Chd having less stop and go traffic might give slightly better mileage. But hopefully can live with these figures too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The S had AT for some time then it became V only. As for mileage the figures you state are about right. On the highway in you leave your lead boots at home, you can even get 15+ (the best I got was 17+). On my AT I get about 1.5kpl better on thei highway than my son who really enjoys pushing the throttle to bering on the aggressive cam setting. Mind you I do not pussyfoot around but am less aggressive on the throttle.
Thanks SG sir. The highway figures look promising, though in our case 90% of driving would be restricted within city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Welcome to the civic club. I'm driving a 2009 civic V A/T, pre facelift. 105,000 Km on odo. Runds like a dream. No issues at all, touchwood. Never skipped a beat. Only regular services, brake pads changed at 50k and 100K kms, suspension bushings and linker changed at 85K, and engine mount changed twice. Once under warranty.
I am absolutely in love with this car
Thanks a ton Vineet, that's a relief to know. I'm guessing the City would have thrown similar bills at us anyways since it's at the 70K mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think broadly speaking, the Civic is reasonably reliable although it has its share of routine niggles - nothing I wouldn't expect in a City either.

Here's what I can say about the upgrade, barring the obvious difference of A/T convenience.
- It feels much more grown up than a City. I have a 2009 City as well as Civic A/T so speaking from personal ownership experience of 6 - 7 years.
- Leather quality and interior quality are both top notch. It really ages very well so the car will do you good service for many years to come.
- Parts are easily available. I've never had any problem, whether with Honda / aftermarket.
- You'll face a distinct dip in mileage compared to a manual City. Take a personal call if you're ok with that.
- Comfort wise too there's a big difference in the back seat of a Civic over a City.
- The boot is a good 100 litres less in the Civic (~ 500 vs ~ 405). Our City is still the default pick in the garage for long holiday airport runs.

Overall, if you're ok with the mileage dip (& smaller boot), this is ACES in terms of being an upgrade on every front. And for presumably a very modest cost.
Fantastic Axe, just the kind of comparison I was looking for! I should be ok with mileage dip hopefully, since there's another City with us and can be our fallback option if needed. And Chd is forgiving in terms of mileage due to good infrastructure and less traffic. Just to give you an idea, I get around 15 easily with the manual City.
My precise intention was to go for something that feels like an upgrade but doesn't break the bank. Your post gives me confidence

Thank you guys for your valuable inputs. Should be picking up the Civic today, will post pics and initial impression soon.

Last edited by avisidhu : 4th July 2016 at 12:12.
Old 5th July 2016, 00:11   #7603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Hi All,

Need suggestion on an issue with my 2007 Civic. A week back had to change the main engine harness because of rodents chewing it out. Now, i see that the temperature display next to the trip meter is not showing any value, instead showing as "---". Also, the A/C is acting a bit odd, like even with temperature set to 23 or 24, it blows mildly hot air which was never the case. Also the "AUTO" climate is working only when i set the temperature knob to "LO". Basically the A/C is seems to go into sleep for some time and wakes up. This keeps happening a lot.

Can anyone with similar experiences let me know if the issue could be because of something missed during the Harness change by ASS or a co-incidence that A/C need to be checked up ?

Thanks in advance
How much did the harness cost you. I am facing a similar issue..
Old 5th July 2016, 07:29   #7604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Will post the pics soon.
Congratulations on your buy. The Civic is a wonderful car to live with. BTW, I don't think the Urban Titanium shade was available 2008. This shade was a launched sometime in 2011 or 2012 towards the time when the Civic was being discontinued. If your car is in grey shade, I guess it could have been either Galaxy Grey or Carbon Bronze Pearl. Happy and safe driving !
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 13:21   #7605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have joined the Civic club as of 24-06-2016. Its a 2008 Urban Titanium M/T with 81k on the ODO.
Congrats... enjoy the car! You will love it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
it could have been either Galaxy Grey or Carbon Bronze Pearl. Happy and safe driving !
In 2008, even Galaxy Grey was discontinued. Only Carbon Bronze Pearl was the grey shade available. Mine was a CBP.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks