Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2016, 02:22   #7876
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hi Sumeet, nice coincidence there on the lower arm bush issue. My Swift's right side list arm bushes is tearing off plus the ball joint too is at its end of its life after a 1,01,080 kms which IMO is good enough. I am looking for a change in my car too and would be going for OE ones. Each side costs ₹2200.

What's the price in Civic for each side?

How are the ball joints in the lower arm?
Lower arms on each side seems to priced at 5 to 6 k as per posts from this very thread. I can't say if the ball joints are kaput as well but they look oil stained.

Refer to below set of pics of same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4099620

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 16th December 2016 at 02:24.
Old 16th December 2016, 02:35   #7877
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Lower arms on each side seems to priced at 5 to 6 k as per posts from this very thread. I can't say if the ball joints are kaput as well but they look oil stained.
Better you go ahead with the replacement buddy.

Bushes don't look to be in good health.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 11:45   #7878
BHPian

Guys what will be the cost of suspension overhauling?
Also pls help me in understanding what will be the things which will be changed in suspension overhauling.
My car is 2007 automatic transmission Honda Civic
Old 17th December 2016, 13:53   #7879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Also pls help me in understanding what will be the things which will be changed in suspension overhauling.
At fng it will cost 30 to 35k for just front. At hass expect twice as much. But you need not change everything. What exactly is issue and why are you thinking about a suspension overhaul? In my experience a overhaul did not help much post 2 years later i am back to having busted lower arm bushes etc. I had done from fng and after market parts especially the load bearing ones seemed to have given away.
Old 18th December 2016, 22:35   #7880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
The control arms usually don't need replacement. It's only the bushes that need to be changed. And the shockers. That should set you back by 15k.
As far as the rear, those hold on pretty well, except the soft bit. So you can invest in options to make it a bit less soft so that the rear doesn't sag.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2016, 22:45   #7881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
The control arms usually don't need replacement. It's only the bushes that need to be changed. And the shockers. That should set you back by 15k.
As far as the rear, those hold on pretty well, except the soft bit. So you can invest in options to make it a bit less soft so that the rear doesn't sag.
Hey coolkurt, and Other friends,

Have we discussed the suspension overhauling issue on our thread anywhere?

I am sure we must have.

What are the symptoms shown by cars which have shot their suspension?

Last edited by skdking : 18th December 2016 at 22:52.
Old 18th December 2016, 22:57   #7882
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
But you need not change everything. What exactly is issue and why are you thinking about a suspension overhaul?
what a coincidence! I was just contemplating a replacement. Problem is that my suspension thuds over severe bumps and pot holes leading me to believe it's worn out
Quote:
In my experience a overhaul did not help much post 2 years later i am back to having busted lower arm bushes etc. I had done from fng and after market parts especially the load bearing ones seemed to have given away.
My fng quoted me 35k for the entire set(fwd and rear) with 'genuine Honda' spares. As I am one who rarely uses my car, wondering if it's worth it.

Last edited by handsofsteel : 18th December 2016 at 23:05. Reason: Typo
Old 20th December 2016, 11:52   #7883
DJM

Hi,
Planning to get a 2010 1.8vMT Civic(am in Pune). How to get the service record from the HASS? BHpians please help. :-)
Old 20th December 2016, 17:38   #7884
BHPian

Hey guys, I have a 2010 Civic automatic (45,000 kms). Over the past month, Had a loud grinding noise from the steering at time of starting the engine. Noise fades away after 10 mins. Checked with Honda authorised service center and they have recommended a replacement of power steering hose and pump, with a total bill of ~55,000.

They have also indicated that the rear brake pads need replacing (~6,000) but front pads are OK.

What do you guys think? Am I being ripped off?
Old 20th December 2016, 17:57   #7885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
Hi,
Planning to get a 2010 1.8vMT Civic(am in Pune). How to get the service record from the HASS? BHpians please help. :-)
Visit a Hass or call and ask them for service details by giving vehicle details. Best take the car and ask them for a thorough checkup which cost a few hundred bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmohan83 View Post
Hey guys, I have a 2010 Civic automatic (45,000 kms). Over the past month, Had a loud grinding noise from the steering at time of starting the engine. Noise fades away after 10 mins. Checked with Honda authorised service center and they have recommended a replacement of power steering hose and pump, with a total bill of ~55,000.

They have also indicated that the rear brake pads need replacing (~6,000) but front pads are OK.

What do you guys think? Am I being ripped off?
Yup. If the PS is leaking then you need to change the seals and not the whole pump. If the PS hose is leaking get a genuine after market hose and find a good garage. The PS overhaul should cost 5 to 6 k and the hose should cost around 6k as well from a good garage.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 18:04   #7886
BHPian

I did. This is the quote they have sent.. Please take a look and let me know. Total cost comes to 71,000.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic-bill.png  

Old 20th December 2016, 18:35   #7887
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am planning to sell my Honda Civic, 2007 AT KA01 registered. I got transferred to Kolkata and now being transferred to some other place.
You can see my civic travelogue "Kolkata to Bhutan" in a civic.
Since lots of Civic Enthusiasts visit this page, you may refer mine.
Ping me for any details.
Old 23rd December 2016, 08:23   #7888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Hey coolkurt, and Other friends,

Have we discussed the suspension overhauling issue on our thread anywhere?

I am sure we must have.

What are the symptoms shown by cars which have shot their suspension?
This issue has been discussed, especially the rear end sag as that's a major issue with the 8th gen Civic. The noticeable changes that you'll see is 1) the ride quality will suffer: car will be more wobbly and you'll have a bumpy ride, 2) the car will bottom out a lot more easily, might even drift during turns as the shocks fail to do their job keeping the body steady against the centrifugal forces during a turn, 3) In cases of badly worn out front suspension, you can feel the car lurching forward nose down when you hit the brakes 4) visual inspection can affirm that the bushes are damaged /worn out or the control arms are bent, 5) uneven tire treads - although this could be due to poor alignment as well.

Simple test: Press down on the bonnet of the car with all your weight, "bounce" it a few times, then release. Do it again on the rear of the car. If the car continues to rock or bounce more than 2-3 times after you release it, the suspension is wearing out.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 13:43   #7889
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately a drunkard tempo driver rear-ended and then my car(parked) was almost converted to hatchback from sedan. Not very pleasant gift on Christmas.

Pic attached at the end.

Bought the new bumper and Headlights (DEPO make).

Price as follows;
Bumper = 4000/-
Tail Light = 2300/-
Reflector = 2200/-
Painting Cost = 12000/- (Bumper, Rear Quarter Panel, Trunk Lid, Rear Door)

However, I'am unable to source the new trunk lid. My FNG guy says we can source used trunk lid from Kurla(Mumbai) but I would prefer new. None of the shops said they can make it available but one guy said I may be able to source it from Delhi if I have the right contacts which I do not. Can someone help me with that? Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1.jpg  

Old 27th December 2016, 07:50   #7890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapitude View Post
Hi Guys,

However, I'am unable to source the new trunk lid. My FNG guy says we can source used trunk lid from Kurla(Mumbai) but I would prefer new. None of the shops said they can make it available but one guy said I may be able to source it from Delhi if I have the right contacts which I do not. Can someone help me with that? Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Looking at the boot lid, I'd say a competent FNG can do a good job of the the denting & painting to make it new again. Mine was in a similar condition but the guys here managed to get it back in its original shape. It would be a cheaper and easier option than trying to source an older boot lid. For that you'll have to scour the used car market in karol bagh, Delhi where you may or may not find a satisfactory replacement. If it's a new one, even HASS won't guarantee a replacement and will suggest a repair.

Most Viewed