Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:56   #8026
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I will need to renew insurance for my Civic (S-MT 2007, CNG fitted) in few weeks.

My last year premium with Bajaj Alianz was 12100/- for IDV of 5.5 lakh rupees (20% NCB). Surprisingly when I tried to renew online, I got quote of 13000/- with same IDV and increased NCB to 25%. I also tried to check other policy providers quotes on policybazar, but could not get any quote below 12-13k for 5lakh IDV.

How much you are paying now for 10 years old Civic insurance? Is 5.5 lakh IDV realistic for settlement if any? will insurance company pay this amount in case of total loss? or should i reduce IDV to lower realistic figure to save on premium?
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:05   #8027
BANNED

@techcoze; TP premiums have been jacked up and this is particularly severe for engines above 1600cc. So the Civic is hit with a double whammy. Have you looked at a waiver of say 2500 or whatever from every claim. This is a very advantageous option to consider. The loss of NCB makes small claims not at all advantageous.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd March 2017 at 11:06.
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:36   #8028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Have you looked at a waiver of say 2500 or whatever from every claim. This is a very advantageous option to consider. The loss of NCB makes small claims not at all advantageous.
What do you mean by waiver from every claim? is this some kind of option in policy?
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:10   #8029
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
What do you mean by waiver from every claim? is this some kind of option in policy?
Yes, you can take exclusions of 500, 1000, or 2500. As your NCB goes up these become advantageous. Obviously the Insurance agents keep very quite about them. All my cars are on full NCB and I take the maximum exclusion.

Remember the exclusion is only on the OD part and not the Act part of the premium.
Old 3rd March 2017, 13:10   #8030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, you can take exclusions of 500, 1000, or 2500. As your NCB goes up these become advantageous. Obviously the Insurance agents keep very quite about them. All my cars are on full NCB and I take the maximum exclusion.

Remember the exclusion is only on the OD part and not the Act part of the premium.
That's completely new to me! I tried to search with keywords "insurance + exclusion" but could not find anything about it on team-bhp / internet. Do you have any link explaining how this works and how to avail this exclusion?
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:07   #8031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
That's completely new to me! I tried to search with keywords "insurance + exclusion" but could not find anything about it on team-bhp / internet. Do you have any link explaining how this works and how to avail this exclusion?
You are confused due to wrong terminology being used. It is not exclusion as a term, but voluntary deductible.

You normally have a compulsory deductible of Rs 1000 while you raise a insurance claim. If you agree voluntarily to increase that deductible, then based on the amount you agree, you will get a discount in the premium.

As an example if you opt for 2500 as voluntary deductible, then the insurance will pay the claim minus the compulsory+voluntary deductible amount. As simple as that!!

As a general rule, if you opt for compulsory deductibel, many insurance companies follow this rule

1. Compulsory deductible Rs 2500, discount of 20% on OD premium subject to max of Rs 750
2. Compulsory deductible Rs 5000, discount of 25% on OD premium subject to max of Rs 1500
3. Compulsory deductible Rs 7500, discount of 30% on OD premium subject to max of Rs 2000
4. Compulsory deductible Rs 15000, discount of 35% on OD premium subject to max of Rs 2500

So in your case, you got a quote of Rs13000, you agree for a voluntary deductible of Rs15000, your insurance premium comes down by Rs2500, and in the event of a claim you pay 15000+ compulsory deductible as your share along with the depreciation costs.

Its your choice whether you like 750rs to 2500rs deduction in your premium for the share of 2500 - 15000 that you are willing to pay per claim
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 14:18   #8032
BHPian

Hi All, so yesterday, all of sudden the AC started acting weird and (lost all cooling capacity and started blowing hot air while the temp was set to low) also there was a hissing sound coming too, I called H.A.S.S. (Ring Road Honda) after hearing out my issue the person informed that most probably the evaporator coil of my civic went bust, placed an enquiry, he shared eyes watering quote of around 35k (25k for the coil, 4k or so for refrigerant, oil and rest towards labour), I was like 35k, Really?, anyways after thanking him, I disconnected the call was still in shock.

Contacted my local FNG, he said he will first check the coil and let me know how much would it cost. I went to him, he checked and informed that the coil has developed leaks and indeed needs replacement considering the coil and age of vehicle (10 years). He checked with his suppliers in delhi and in gurgaon, none of them had Denso evaporator coil available.

I would humbly request you all to kindly advise if it's OK, to get a Subros coil installed or wait for denso coils to be available ( tentative 3 weeks).

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20170304_141441.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20170304_141724.jpg  

Old 4th March 2017, 15:28   #8033
BANNED

@Kunal_kaushal; Subros are also a good vendor, so as long as the dimensions match you should not have any issues. Remember the original coils are aluminum so a decade is a long enough life. Also, repairing a Al coil is better not done.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 17:59   #8034
Senior - BHPian

Facing an issue with my Civic's AC.
On the first start AC works for 2-3 minutes and cools normally.

After 2-3 minutes, compressor cuts out and does not kick back in?

Since Ac cools normally for 2-3 minutes i have ruled out gas leaks and cooling coil.

What can be the possible cause?
Old 4th March 2017, 18:02   #8035
Senior - BHPian

Ordered this from ebay for the clips. No luck with spares shop.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Pack-of-20-Fe.../222295966869?
Old 4th March 2017, 18:06   #8036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Facing an issue with my Civic's AC.
On the first start AC works for 2-3 minutes and cools normally.

After 2-3 minutes, compressor cuts out and does not kick back in?

Since Ac cools normally for 2-3 minutes i have ruled out gas leaks and cooling coil.

What can be the possible cause?
Kindly check the ac relay. Kindly search through this thread for same.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th March 2017 at 18:07.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 06:25   #8037
Senior - BHPian

I had the coil changed a few months back owing to the same issue. I still get a hissing sound when the ac compressor kicks in the first time though. I've checked the refrigerant and that's okay. The AC is working as good as ever after I've changed the relay so I haven't bothered to delve into the hissing sound.
Old 5th March 2017, 08:35   #8038
BHPian

I believe hissing sound we hear first time ac is started is normal. Its because of refrigerant entering expansion valve when we start ac.
Old 5th March 2017, 08:40   #8039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal_kaushal View Post
Hi All, so yesterday, all of sudden the AC started acting weird and (lost all cooling capacity and started blowing hot air while the temp was set to low) also there was a hissing sound coming too, I called H.A.S.S. (Ring Road Honda) after hearing out my issue the person informed that most probably the evaporator coil of my civic went bust, placed an enquiry, he shared eyes watering quote of around 35k (25k for the coil, 4k or so for refrigerant, oil and rest towards labour), I was like 35k, Really?, anyways after thanking him, I disconnected the call was still in shock.

Contacted my local FNG, he said he will first check the coil and let me know how much would it cost. I went to him, he checked and informed that the coil has developed leaks and indeed needs replacement considering the coil and age of vehicle (10 years). He checked with his suppliers in delhi and in gurgaon, none of them had Denso evaporator coil available.

I would humbly request you all to kindly advise if it's OK, to get a Subros coil installed or wait for denso coils to be available ( tentative 3 weeks).

Regards
Kunal
How much they are quoting for subros coil?

Looking at condition of original coil looks like it was never cleaned in last 10 years. Same had happened to me. Such accumulated dirt and moisture on evaporator causes aluminium to "rust" up resulting in leakage. I think its good idea to dismantle and clean coil thoroughly every 50k km / 5 years. This will increase life of evaporator coil
Old 5th March 2017, 08:56   #8040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Kindly check the ac relay. Kindly search through this thread for same.
It is the relay
Looked around for more info on 8th Civic forum, tapped the relay with a screw driver and compressor kicked in.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed