Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 16:22   #8581
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

OK, so here's a reference guide from Hella ( Spain)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic-bulbs-bhp.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 09:51   #8582
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As for 0W-20 that's all very good in moderate climates in the temperate zones. Will it work in hot tropical S/SE Asia or the Middle East? If 0W-20 was kosher why wasn't it printed in the manual back when the car was sold. The reason I ask this question is because the customer is responsible for any damage caused to an out of warranty car.

Oh well, you could opt for 0W-20 synthetic try it out and change over to 5W-30 if not satisfied with the performance.
I do not think parts of the US like Arizona are any cooler than, say Rajasthan. When I bought my Civic I happened to check the US specs. 0W20 was kosher there. Maybe the absence of 0W20 made 0W30 as the spec.
Also, the engine HP under the US specs was 10 more than what we get. Other things were the same. I fact I was looking around right since we went Euro-IV, Euro-III in minor towns, but never got any joy. Could not find anyone for retuning the ECU either.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 10:21   #8583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Mositure would play havoc with my instrument cluster and my top speedo console would simply stop displaying or flicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Moisture, loose connections, rust, corrosion & physical damage affect electrical circuits (and electronics) severely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Moisture issue is definitely on my mind.
And then I noticed one slightly corroded contact point in the coupler.
The fear of moisture affecting the electronics is why I always keep this kind of moisture trapper in my car during the monsoons and also when I drive down to Goa or my native place in Kerala. This year the container is filling up fairly quick, I think my worn out weather strips are partly to blame. Neither HASS nor the gentleman at Ghai auto spares has been able to source it yet. Found a guy in Kurla who has it (asking price is Rs.4,000) but refuses to share any pics on whatsapp, so I've not bothered to push it.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic2.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic1.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:59   #8584
BANNED

Any decent places in Gurugram to get some minor work - Brake Pad replacement, and tracking a under-bonnet rattle. We are in DLF Sector 54.
Old 4th August 2017, 07:15   #8585
Distinguished - BHPian

My 10 year old civic had it's fuel gauge go kaput two years back. The reason was the level indicator module had a problem. Now this is a small unit that is sold as part and parcel of the fuel pump. So cost to get it working was prohibitive at Rs28k!! During this time I ran my car from tankful to tankful using odometer as reminder to tank up between 300~400km.

Last week I was able to source a used pump unit from Mayapuri for Rs4k and now fuel gauge is working. However it shows a random inversion of display. Some times the fuel left is shown as lit up bars and sometimes as unlit bars - see pictures. Cannot fathom out why.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20170803_164220.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20170803_164934.jpg
Old 4th August 2017, 14:54   #8586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your suggestions. @Sumeet:

!
Hello Saket,

Read on your Zen thread that you are using the Liqui Moly 0W40 oil. (Amazing restoration by the way). Are you using the same for the Civic. I am still in two minds whether to go for 5W 30 or 0W30 for the Civics next oil change.

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 22:22   #8587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Saket,

Read on your Zen thread that you are using the Liqui Moly 0W40 oil. (Amazing restoration by the way). Are you using the same for the Civic. I am still in two minds whether to go for 5W 30 or 0W30 for the Civics next oil change.

Thanks.
Thanks Sumeet! Just a small correction, I'm using 5W-40 Liqui-Moly in the Zen.

Regarding the Civic, currently it's running 5W-30 Honda OE oil, which is essentially a mineral oil.

Last week I was at HASS for getting the electronics scanned by the HDS so took the opportunity to ask about the new 0W-20 oil. Apparently Honda has confirmed that this oil can be used in the Civic despite original recommendation being 0W-30. Ironically this new fully synthetic oil costs just as much as the old semi-synth oil at about 1900 bucks for 3.8 Ltrs!

My oil change is still sometime away but I will prefer to find 0W-30 from outside market. If not, will have to accept 0W-20. I think you should prefer 0W-30 as its the actual recommendation.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 4th August 2017 at 22:23.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 00:10   #8588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sumeet! Just a small correction, I'm using 5W-40 Liqui-Moly in the Zen.

Regarding the Civic, currently it'......

Regards,
Saket.
Thanks. I think I will go for the Liqui Moly 5W 30 going by the second no ie the 30 part. Last two oil changes at Honda did not make the car smooth as it usually gets after a oil change. Makes me wonder if they even bother to change the oil and just bill me for it.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 20:50   #8589
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody knows the specs of the LEDS under the backlit switches like the dimmer switch and the mode select switches on the RHS side of the dashboard? The bulbs seem to be never available at HASS every time my car goes to them.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:04   #8590
Senior - BHPian

Guys will emptying a 4 liter oil can in the engine be a good idea or shall I ask to let a little quantity remain while changing oil since the Civic engine seems to take ~ 3.75 liters ? Though I have used up a 4 liter oil can before on the Civic I wanted to know the right quantity ?
Old 8th August 2017, 12:14   #8591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys will emptying a 4 liter oil can in the engine be a good idea or shall I ask to let a little quantity remain while changing oil since the Civic engine seems to take ~ 3.75 liters ? Though I have used up a 4 liter oil can before on the Civic I wanted to know the right quantity ?
3.8 Ltrs is the right quantity to fill. Extra oil may result in leakages and oil seals giving up due to increased pressure.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:15   #8592
BHPian

Quote:
Sumeet, measuring and filling will always be the recommended option to go for.

Directly filling from the standard volume canister (can be termed as 'Overfilling') seems convenient but can become lethal.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:51   #8593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Always measure and fill especially if the sump capacity is less than the quantity in the can.

The cardinal rule which I follow - filling slightly less than sump capacity is better than slightly more oil.

My car's sump capacity is 4.2L. I have the ASC fill 4L directly from the can. I could choose to leave it as it is with a shortfall of 200 ml as but once home I top up the 200 ml which is poured from a measuring cup. That gives me peace of mind.

Extra oil can damage the engine.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 15:10   #8594
BANNED

@R2D2; Even if you leave 200ml short heavens will not fall. I will prefer a slight underfill to a large overfill. So leave it about 100-200ml short.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 18:29   #8595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@R2D2; Even if you leave 200ml short heavens will not fall. I will prefer a slight underfill to a large overfill. So leave it about 100-200ml short.
Yes I agree because you are saying the same things I did in my post i.e.
I could choose to not add the 200 ml and that I prefer filling slightly less rather than slightly more than sump capacity.

I normally top off the oil after the annual service is complete. However this time around after the service in Dec '16 no top up was done and that's not because I don't have the extra engine oil. Car is fine, which brings me back to my belief that a little less oil is always better than a little extra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks